ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255691)

Saul Good 06-01-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8651303)
:facepalm:

There is no smoke, except for silly people who want to invent smoke. 13 years was not an arbitrary made-up number, its the time frame of our new TV deals, it is an inextricable part of those deals, given to the networks, in exchange for more money.

Seriously, this is not complicated or hard to understand. The TV deal is not completed yet, probably because expansion possibilities are delaying things. It will go in effect when the new deal is done, because the GOR is worth something to the TV networks.

EVERYONE involved with the deal has explained, consistently, without wavering, over and over and over again, what the deal with the GOR is.

This isn't as inevitable as you're making it out to be. Rumor is that at least one school isn't willing to sign yet.

alnorth 06-01-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8651774)
This isn't as inevitable as you're making it out to be. Rumor is that at least one school isn't willing to sign yet.

fine, as long as you come back and say "woops, I was wrong. I feel kinda silly for believing that wild-ass crap for no apparent reason"

There is really no good reason, at all, to believe this rumor, except for a strong desire to see it happen. Its similar to Syracuse and Pitt fans all telling each other that someone in the Big 12 is about to leave the conference any day now. Its obviously a stupid rumor, but they have to hope for something.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8651834)
fine, as long as you come back and say "woops, I was wrong. I feel kinda silly for believing that wild-ass crap for no apparent reason"

There is really no good reason, at all, to believe this rumor, except for a strong desire to see it happen. Its similar to Syracuse and Pitt fans all telling each other that someone in the Big 12 is about to leave the conference any day now. Its obviously a stupid rumor, but they have to hope for something.

I think it will get signed. It is concerning that it hasn't happened yet, though. The conference meetings would have been the perfect time to do out, but the commissioners have all been pretty sheepish when asked about it in interviews.

|Zach| 06-01-2012 08:06 AM

RT @WideRtNattyLt: Can't wait for an ISU network -- a standard def camera pointed at a computer w/Seneca Wallace YouTube videos pulled up.

Mr. Plow 06-01-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zoccer| (Post 8651847)
RT @WideRtNattyLt: Can't wait for an ISU network -- a standard def camera pointed at a computer w/Seneca Wallace YouTube videos pulled up.

LMAO

Saul Good 06-01-2012 08:09 AM

The "Where Are They Now" on Julius Michalik will be riveting.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 08:35 AM

http://www.greghallkc.com/?p=2302#more-2302

Saul Good 06-01-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8651894)

I love the KU writer's idea that, if the SEC offers to hold their basketball tournament at the Sprint Center, Kansas City should say no.

Bambi 06-01-2012 09:19 AM

Speculation that the Big 12 Tourney is staying in Kansas City.

Wow, KU really does run KC.

Messier 06-01-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8651916)
I love the KU writer's idea that, if the SEC offers to hold their basketball tournament at the Sprint Center, Kansas City should say no.

Why would the other SEC schools want to have the tournament in KC? I think MU fans want it just to stick it to the Big 12 schools as a, "This is our town!" kind of thing, but I guess I don't see what the other schools get out of it other than a long trip.

kepp 06-01-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8651985)
Why would the other SEC schools want to have the tournament in KC? I think MU fans want it just to stick it to the Big 12 schools as a, "This is our town!" kind of thing, but I guess I don't see what the other schools get out of it other than a long trip.

I don't think he said that SEC schools want to have the tourney in KC. He was referencing a ku writer's viewpoint that, if the SEC should ask, KC should say no. Which is entirely stupid.

Reaper16 06-01-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8651976)
Speculation that the Big 12 Tourney is staying in Kansas City.

Good. KC needs it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8651985)

They'll get the chance to discover what real barbecue tastes like.

Codered 06-01-2012 09:39 AM

Any tournament is good for Kansas City. I doubt Texas allows it to stay in KC for very long. And KU will take whatever Texas wants on the chin with a smile.

Bambi 06-01-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 8651998)
Any tournament is good for Kansas City. I doubt Texas allows it to stay in KC for very long. And KU will take whatever Texas wants on the chin with a smile.

Whatever happens makes KU look bad.

We all know this.

qabbaan 06-01-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

The poor dear doesn't know what state Kansas City is in. It's a shame he is so intent on holding his conference tournament in a state where his conference has no teams.

Des Moines, Charleston WV, Oklahoma City, Dallas, maybe Charlotte and Tallahassee soon, are Big 12 cities. Perhaps he should see if one of those is willing to host.

The weight of the Big 12's footprint has shifted south with Missouri and Nebraska gone. I am guessing Dallas will be the tournament's usual home.

Messier 06-01-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 8651998)

I don't think Texas cares about the basketball tournament very much.

Codered 06-01-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8652005)
I don't think Texas cares about the basketball tournament very much.

If that was the case then the Big 12 Basketball tourney would have always stayed in KC where it should have year-after-year.

qabbaan 06-01-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 8651991)
I don't think he said that SEC schools want to have the tourney in KC. He was referencing a ku writer's viewpoint that, if the SEC should ask, KC should say no. Which is entirely stupid.

IIRC the SEC prez mentioned having the basketball tournament in KC when the Missouri to SEC move was official. Not all the time, but some years.

According to Big 12 stragglers, travel isn't an issue for FSU, Clemson, or WV because "once you're on a plane you're on a plane".

qabbaan 06-01-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 8652006)
If that was the case then the Big 12 Basketball tourney would have always stayed in KC where it should have year-after-year.

Attendance in Dallas seemed unimpressive most of the time but they continued to hold it there.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8652000)
The poor dear doesn't know what state Kansas City is in. It's a shame he is so intent on holding his conference tournament in a state where his conference has no teams.

Des Moines, Charleston WV, Oklahoma City, Dallas, maybe Charlotte and Tallahassee soon, are Big 12 cities. Perhaps he should see if one of those is willing to host.

The weight of the Big 12's footprint has shifted south with Missouri and Nebraska gone. I am guessing Dallas will be the tournament's usual home.

I hope it stays in Kansas City. The best place for the tournament is in Missouri.

DaKCMan AP 06-01-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8652007)
IIRC the SEC prez mentioned having the basketball tournament in KC when the Missouri to SEC move was official. Not all the time, but some years.

According to Big 12 stragglers, travel isn't an issue for FSU, Clemson, or WV because "once you're on a plane you're on a plane".

The SEC tourney rotates. Right now it's scheduled through 2016 so 2017 is the earliest possible date it could be in KC. KC has to vie against Atlanta, NO, Tampa, Orlando, and Nashville.

Codered 06-01-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8652009)
Attendance in Dallas seemed unimpressive most of the time but they continued to hold it there.

I agree ... There is no doubt that was mostly due to support from Texas and Oklahoma. There was no reason the Basketball tournament should have been held anywhere but Kansas City.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 8652013)
The SEC tourney rotates. Right now it's scheduled through 2016 so 2017 is the earliest possible date it could be in KC. KC has to vie against Atlanta, NO, Tampa, Orlando, and Nashville.

Don't forget St. Louis.

DaKCMan AP 06-01-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652022)
Don't forget St. Louis.

Yeah, forgot about STL. They're also in the mix.

Messier 06-01-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8652000)

It'll stay in KC. Sure Sprint is in Missouri, but is still less than an hour away from the school that brings the most fans. It's not like MU is what was keeping the tournament in KC.

Codered 06-01-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652022)
Don't forget St. Louis.

Yeah, I thought I heard that St. Louis was more of a target for the SEC tourney then KC. I hope that isn't the case.

Codered 06-01-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8652027)
It'll stay in KC. Sure Sprint is in Missouri, but is still less than an hour away from the school that brings the most fans. It's not like MU is what was keeping the tournament in KC.

I guess you watched a different Big 12 tournament then I did last year.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8652027)

I went to the Big XII championship game, and there weren't many Kansas fans there. In fact, it was filled with black and gold.

Bambi 06-01-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652039)
I went to the Big XII championship game, and there weren't many Kansas fans there. In fact, it was filled with black and gold.

I think they were busy packing for New Orleans.

Messier 06-01-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 8652034)
I guess you watched a different Big 12 tournament then I did last year.

It usually goes, as attendance in KC:

1. KU
2.MU
3.KST

I don't have the numbers of fans for each school that attended, but I'd wager KU is always the most represented.

Messier 06-01-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652039)

Well, sure.

I think it'd be a little odd to have more KU fans at a championship game they're not in.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8652052)
It usually goes, as attendance in KC:

1. KU
2.MU
3.KST

I don't have the numbers of fans for each school that attended, but I'd wager KU is always the most represented.

Fascinating stuff. Royals fans are the best in baseball because there will be more of them in attendance at the All Star game this year than any other fan base.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8652055)
Well, sure.

I think it'd be a little odd to have more KU fans at a championship game they're not in.

So proximity and success impacts attendance of a fan base? Correlation something something something causation...

Messier 06-01-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652061)
Fascinating stuff. Royals fans are the best in baseball because there will be more of them in attendance at the All Star game this year than any other fan base.

Didn't say anything about best in anything.

A neutral site game between KU and MU will always have more KU fans at it.

There are more KU fans in the world than MU fans. Not talking about alumni, just fans that follow the schools they see as noteworthy. KU is a famous college basketball school, MU is not.

Messier 06-01-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652064)
So proximity and success impacts attendance of a fan base? Correlation something something something causation...

What do the somethings stand for? I guess I don't understand what's the problem. KU is close KU is better. KU has more fans.

To go back to the baseball analogy, do you think all the Yankee fans that magically show up at Kauffman stadium grew up in New York? How'd they become Yankee fans?

KU would have the most fans at the tournament if it were in Texas, or Iowa, or Alaska.

Reaper16 06-01-2012 10:45 AM

Looks like MU actually wanted to have TAMU as their permanent cross-division rival, but acquiesced to Arkansas because it'd be "better for the league." Alden is talking about a need to schedule noncon games with Texas schools to keep MU's Texas footprint active.

eazyb81 06-01-2012 11:07 AM

Wait, so the Big 12 isn't going to hold its basketball tournament in Wichita or Des Moines?

Shocking.

DeezNutz 06-01-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8652133)
Looks like MU actually wanted to have TAMU as their permanent cross-division rival, but acquiesced to Arkansas because it'd be "better for the league." Alden is talking about a need to schedule noncon games with Texas schools to keep MU's Texas footprint active.

MIZZOU IS DOOMED! /everyone other than Mizzou fans

Codered 06-01-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8652179)
Wait, so the Big 12 isn't going to hold its basketball tournament in Wichita or Des Moines?

Shocking.

I am sure the state of Missouri will accept the revenue.

beer bacon 06-01-2012 11:33 AM

Yeah, anytime the Big 12 wants to host sporting events in KC, MO, it is fine with me.

qabbaan 06-01-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652012)
I hope it stays in Kansas City. The best place for the tournament is in Missouri.

That is the point, really. If the Big 12 wanted to use Missouri's arena I don't see why the state should object to all the business and tax revenue it could bring.

That Big 12 fans would be gracious enough to continue to provide this revenue boost for the state of Missouri, and in turn help fund the University of Missouri, even after Missouri upgraded conferences... I think Missourians should express their gratitude at this continued commitment to the cause.

ChiefsCountry 06-01-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

There is enough Texas schools to schedule games with North Texas, Smu, Houston, Texas State etc would love home games with Missouri.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bambi 06-01-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 8652189)
I am sure the state of Missouri will accept the revenue.

Great. Works out for everyone.

Bambi 06-01-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

You're still laughing?

LMAO

Saul Good 06-01-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

aTm would have made no sense. It would have been nice from a recruiting perspective, I guess, but it would have been bad business to let Mizzou or any other team hand-pick their own rival simply to gain a competitive advantage. It's not like there's a bunch of history behind the rivalry.

beer bacon 06-01-2012 12:43 PM

I think the whole idea of playing one game in Texas every other year giving us a significant recruiting advantage is silly. Want to recruit better? Get all your games on national TV and win them.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 01:14 PM

So West Virginia will not be a full member until 2016?

RustShack 06-01-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652394)

They are going to be in this year...

Saul Good 06-01-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 8652398)
They are going to be in this year...

Oooooookay

Bambi 06-01-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652394)

Same year as the SEC asks Kansas City to hold the SEC Tournament at Sprint Center and Kansas City says no.

DeezNutz 06-01-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8652480)
Same year as the SEC asks Kansas City to hold the SEC Tournament at Sprint Center and Kansas City says no.

LMAO. We don't want your tainted, southern money.

Bambi 06-01-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8652486)
LMAO. We don't want your tainted, southern money.

Sounds like a stand on principle over money.

beer bacon 06-01-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8652503)

:LOL:

DeezNutz 06-01-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8652503)

Wichita said no to the Big XII tournament, so the conference reluctantly stayed in SEC territory.

Pitt Gorilla 06-01-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8652480)

I have no idea what you're saying here. If the SEC wanted to have the tournament in KC, the tournament would be in KC. There is no situation under which they would refuse that sort of influx of money.

DeezNutz 06-01-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8652552)
I have no idea what you're saying here. If the SEC wanted to have the tournament in KC, the tournament would be in KC. There is no situation under which they would refuse that sort of influx of money.

There is absolutely no way that an arena and major metropolitan area located in an SEC state would want or allow an SEC tournament to use the facilities and fans to spend enormous amounts of tourist dollars.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Maybe the SEC will hold the tournament in Wichita. They just built a new arena that isn't being used for anything like this.

DeezNutz 06-01-2012 02:13 PM

"The first part of the city's name is Kansas." LMAO.

See you at Kemper, Chuck.

Bambi 06-01-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

They've already said no. They've granted the rights of refusal to the Big 12.

Bambi 06-01-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8652557)
There is absolutely no way that an arena and major metropolitan area located in an SEC state would want or allow an SEC tournament to use the facilities and fans to spend enormous amounts of tourist dollars.

Maybe Missouri shoulda listened to it's constituents before making the move.

Ebolapox 06-01-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8652573)

link?

DeezNutz 06-01-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

You see the disconnect in logic here?

DeezNutz 06-01-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8652579)
Maybe Missouri shoulda listened to it's constituents before making the move.

They did, thankfully.

Bambi 06-01-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h5n1 (Post 8652581)
link?

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/01...tay-in-kc.html

Codered 06-01-2012 02:21 PM

That's because the SEC doesn't commit to one city year-after-year. It's smart for the city of Kansas City to attempt to work out a deal with the Big 12 if they can land an ongoing thing.

I know you like to pretend otherwise, but this doesn't mean that KC prefers any conference over the other.

mnchiefsguy 06-01-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

That is not saying what you think it does, you idiot. Kansas City wants the Big XII tournament first and foremost, as it should, based on the number of successful years the tournament has been here.

A first refusal for the Big XII is the city telling the Big XII that it has to commit or the city will field other offers.

If the Big XII leaves KC twisting in the wind, then the city can field other tournament offers. If the Big XII invokes its right of first refusal, then the city is guaranteed to host the Big XII tourney.

Either way, it is a win-win for the city of Kansas City. The Big XII committing its bball tourney to KC in no way, shape, or form, hurts SEC bball at all. You really need to learn how to connect your dots properly.

Then again, you are Hypocritson.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8652587)

How about a link to something that actually supports your statement?

Ebolapox 06-01-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8652587)

I did a control+F to see where it said 'first refusal' (to keep it simple), but it came up 0/0 (no results)

aka, your link doesn't support your statement.

ChiefsCountry 06-01-2012 02:26 PM

Without MU it makes more teams out of town into hotel rooms which the majority of the MU fans lived in the metro, that is a bigger win for Kansas City. MU gets a better conference and KC gets more out of town guests for the Big 12 tournament. Major win for the state of Missouri.

DeezNutz 06-01-2012 02:36 PM

Since the tournament will be in Dallas this year, Big 12, may we have your permission to allow the SEC to come over to play?

No.

"Right of first refusal."

Bambi 06-01-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8652594)
That is not saying what you think it does, you idiot. Kansas City wants the Big XII tournament first and foremost, as it should, based on the number of successful years the tournament has been here.

A first refusal for the Big XII is the city telling the Big XII that it has to commit or the city will field other offers.

If the Big XII leaves KC twisting in the wind, then the city can field other tournament offers. If the Big XII invokes its right of first refusal, then the city is guaranteed to host the Big XII tourney.

Either way, it is a win-win for the city of Kansas City. The Big XII committing its bball tourney to KC in no way, shape, or form, hurts SEC bball at all. You really need to learn how to connect your dots properly.

Then again, you are Hypocritson.

oh gotcha. That's what they first said on the radio so I goes we'll find out in 2016.

Until then enjoy our Big 12 hoops!

qabbaan 06-01-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8652608)
Without MU it makes more teams out of town into hotel rooms which the majority of the MU fans lived in the metro, that is a bigger win for Kansas City. MU gets a better conference and KC gets more out of town guests for the Big 12 tournament. Major win for the state of Missouri.

You believe that Missouri leaving the conference will increase attendance at the Big 12 tournament?

Saul Good 06-01-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8652624)
You believe that Missouri leaving the conference will increase attendance at the Big 12 tournament?

No. He's saying that people who come in from out of town boost the economy more than locals going to the game.

Bambi 06-01-2012 02:49 PM

Actually yes, I'm using the term correctly.

And yes, from what it seems Kansas City is favoring the Big 12 over any other conference.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ritethru.0793/

baitism 06-01-2012 03:01 PM

A homeless man doesn't turn down a cheeseburger because it was given to him by a Jew...

Messier 06-01-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 8652660)
A homeless man doesn't turn down a cheeseburger because it was given to him by a Jew...

Just one question.
Who is the Jew in this scenario? And what is the cheeseburger?
And one more, I guess I have three questions.
Who is the homeless man?

ChiefsCountry 06-01-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8652624)

Attendance no. Hotel rooms, rental cars, etc. yes.

Saul Good 06-01-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8652640)
Actually yes, I'm using the term correctly.

And yes, from what it seems Kansas City is favoring the Big 12 over any other conference.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ritethru.0793/

The Big 12 has the right of first refusal for specific dates. They don't have the right to keep the SEC from playing there altogether.

Bambi 06-01-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652671)
The Big 12 has the right of first refusal for specific dates. They don't have the right to keep the SEC from playing there altogether.

Correct. No one's changing conference tourney weekends though. Being that there are no other weekends to go to.

Messier 06-01-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8652671)

Still not sure why most SEC schools would want to have the tournament in KC. Especially seeing that the schools that would have to travel the farthest are some of the ones with the most pull.