ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

listopencil 04-21-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14214261)
Amen, brother. Gonna miss Pike and the Enterprise.

Am I seeing this right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek

Is there room for a five year mission for Pike's Enterprise?

Jamie 04-21-2019 06:09 PM

I think so.

Tangentially You can also see one of my favorite bits of Star Trek trivia on there, which is that The Wrath of Khan is set 12 years after The Motion Picture. It's generally accepted (but not canon) that after TMP Kirk had a second 5 year mission, and then Spock was captain for another 5 year mission after that.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2019 12:43 AM

Phew. It's dusty in here.

<iframe width="1280" height="715" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zNu1cdISsvY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRedChief 06-08-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14140506)
This show keeps getting better and better. Really enjoyed tonight's episode. :thumb:

Finally got around to binge watching this season. Way better than last season. Special effects were better. Brought back Spock and Captain Pike. Better story. That last battle and episode was the best one of the series.

How did they up the quality of the show? Did they change show runners?

Frazod 06-08-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14300197)
Finally got around to binge watching this season. Way better than last season. Special effects were better. Brought back Spock and Captain Pike. Better story. That last battle and episode was the best one of the series.

I think they finally realized that they needed to stop pissing on their core fanbase. They gave us some familiar characters, and an Enterprise that, while updated, honored the look and feel of the original.

I wouldn't have watched another season of Burnam's gurlpower set in an unrecognizable universe.

Discuss Thrower 06-10-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14300197)

They moved on from whatever plot outline Fuller was angling for and they successfully used Pike and Spock with more nuance and care than Berman and Braga ever would have.

Bowser 06-13-2019 12:47 PM

I never did pull the trigger on the all access with season one, but you guys have convinced me to give season 2 a shot. Plus, with the Picard show on its way, might as well get all I can out of it.

Frazod 06-13-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14306850)
I never did pull the trigger on the all access with season one, but you guys have convinced me to give season 2 a shot. Plus, with the Picard show on its way, might as well get all I can out of it.

Just watch Season 2. I can think of no reason to endure Season 1. I'll give you a small synopsis if you'd like.

Seriously. **** Season 1.

Bowser 06-13-2019 01:44 PM

Yeah, that's the plan. When you get the serious Trek fan saying WTF IS THIS SHIT to Season 1, I'll just give it the X-Men 3 treatment.

I'll admit the first thing I thought of when I learned what a Spore Drive was is how that thing might have been some use to Janeway and Voyager, lol.

Frazod 06-13-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14306935)
Yeah, that's the plan. When you get the serious Trek fan saying WTF IS THIS SHIT to Season 1, I'll just give it the X-Men 3 treatment.

I'll admit the first thing I thought of when I learned what a Spore Drive was is how that thing might have been some use to Janeway and Voyager, lol.

Here's what you need to know.

Burnham's parents died. She was raised by Sarek and Amanda as a ward, and grew up with Spock.

She got in trouble early in Season 1. Later she got out of trouble. She's basically Rey from Star Wars, with science instead of the force. She will solve your problems, Mr. Man, and don't you forget it.

Michele Yeoh's character (Georgiou) is the mirror universe counterpart of Burnham's mentor, who is dead. Burnham's mirror was Georgiou's protege. So even though mirror Georgiou is a more than a bit on the twisted side, they still have a mother-daughter bond going on. A recurring character and now member of Section 31. Lots of fun.

Stamets, the chief engineer, has to physically hook into the "spore drive" to allow Discovery to jump instantly from place to place. I don't remember why; something about some sort of space hippo. It doesn't really matter. I mainly try to block out scenes with Stamets, who is basically the gay Jar Jar of Star Trek. Every episode I hoped he'd die. He didn't.

Tilly is the living avatar for every fat ugly nerd chick with bad hair that loves Star Trek. She starts to grow on you eventually. Not nearly as annoying as Stamets.

Ash is a Klingon altered to look human and is now sort of a conflicted double agent type. Burnham has the hots for him. The Klingon chancellor has the hots for him. Basically he's just kind of there.

Suru is sort of Discovery's captain/XO/whatever depending on the situation. He's probably the least annoying regular cast member.

Can't remember the names of any of the rest of the Discovery bridge crew. They're mainly just cardboard cutouts that occasionally speak.

On the other hand....

PIKE IS AWESOME

THE ENTERPRISE IS AWESOME

NUMBER ONE IS SMOKING HOT AND AWESOME

THE TIE IN WITH THE ORIGINAL PILOT IS AWESOME

Spock is a bit off, but he grows on you, and eventually becomes mostly awesome.

If anybody else can think of anything to add, feel free.

Bowser 06-13-2019 02:11 PM

Lol, nice. Appreciate the breakdown.

And they tie in to "The Cage"? Huh, interesting....

Frazod 06-13-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14306971)
Lol, nice. Appreciate the breakdown.

And they tie in to "The Cage"? Huh, interesting....

I won't say anything else. :)

Bowser 06-13-2019 02:28 PM

Ok, I'm sold. Legit curious as to how this shit ties in to that shit.....

Discuss Thrower 06-13-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14306962)
Here's what you need to know.

Burnham's parents died. She was raised by Sarek and Amanda as a ward, and grew up with Spock.

She got in trouble early in Season 1. Later she got out of trouble. She's basically Rey from Star Wars, with science instead of the force. She will solve your problems, Mr. Man, and don't you forget it.

Michele Yeoh's character (Georgiou) is the mirror universe counterpart of Burnham's mentor, who is dead. Burnham's mirror was Georgiou's protege. So even though mirror Georgiou is a more than a bit on the twisted side, they still have a mother-daughter bond going on. A recurring character and now member of Section 31. Lots of fun.

Stamets, the chief engineer, has to physically hook into the "spore drive" to allow Discovery to jump instantly from place to place. I don't remember why; something about some sort of space hippo. It doesn't really matter. I mainly try to block out scenes with Stamets, who is basically the gay Jar Jar of Star Trek. Every episode I hoped he'd die. He didn't.

Tilly is the living avatar for every fat ugly nerd chick with bad hair that loves Star Trek. She starts to grow on you eventually. Not nearly as annoying as Stamets.

Ash is a Klingon altered to look human and is now sort of a conflicted double agent type. Burnham has the hots for him. The Klingon chancellor has the hots for him. Basically he's just kind of there.

Suru is sort of Discovery's captain/XO/whatever depending on the situation. He's probably the least annoying regular cast member.

Can't remember the names of any of the rest of the Discovery bridge crew. They're mainly just cardboard cutouts that occasionally speak.

On the other hand....

PIKE IS AWESOME

THE ENTERPRISE IS AWESOME

NUMBER ONE IS SMOKING HOT AND AWESOME

THE TIE IN WITH THE ORIGINAL PILOT IS AWESOME

Spock is a bit off, but he grows on you, and eventually becomes mostly awesome.

If anybody else can think of anything to add, feel free.

Fraz you forgot to sum up Lorca who was the highlight of season 1.

Stammets (named after a real life mycologist) is needed for the fungus drive because only an organic being has the computing capacity (for the 23rd century) to sift through the navigational data to make accurate fungus drive jumps. He serves mainly as a friendly foil to Tilly, the continued romantic plotline between himself and Junior Medical Officer (aside: I love they made the main cast doctor not the CMO) Dr. Culber and as Basil Exposition when the script doesn't logically call for either Michael or Tilly to fill that role.

Saru is from a race of technologically primitive herbivore pacifists who manages to scrap together tech (through his genius) and circumvents the Prime Directive to get rescued from his homeworld by prime Georgiou.

The rest of the bridge crew is made more relevant (ish) in season 2, but basically they're all a bunch of TNG season 2-6 Miles O'Briens.

Also a reminder: pay for CBS all access through Prime and not its native application.

Frazod 06-13-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14307041)
Fraz you forgot to sum up Lorca who was the highlight of season 1.

Stammets (named after a real life mycologist) is needed for the fungus drive because only an organic being has the computing capacity (for the 23rd century) to sift through the navigational data to make accurate fungus drive jumps. He serves mainly as a friendly foil to Tilly, the continued romantic plotline between himself and Junior Medical Officer (aside: I love they made the main cast doctor not the CMO) Dr. Culber and as Basil Exposition when the script doesn't logically call for either Michael or Tilly to fill that role.

Saru is from a race of technologically primitive herbivore pacifists who manages to scrap together tech (through his genius) and circumvents the Prime Directive to get rescued from his homeworld by prime Georgiou.

The rest of the bridge crew is made more relevant (ish) in season 2, but basically they're all a bunch of TNG season 2-6 Miles O'Briens.

Also a reminder: pay for CBS all access through Prime and not its native application.

Lorca was the highlight of Season 1, but doesn't factor into Season 2 at all. That's the only reason I didn't mention him.

And I still ****ing hate Stamets.