ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

Prison Bitch 01-13-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 9313545)
I figured he'd be a 15-20 homer guy when I followed him in the Minors. If anyone else expected more, then I don't know what to say. He's a line-drive hitter. If he can bump up his average more, he could be similar to Mauer.

Really? You saw him hit 29 HR his only minor league season, and you figured he'd hit 15 in the bigs as a mature, experienced hitter? YOu would literally be the only person who thought that low.

Also he's nowhere near Mauer since Alex can't make consistent contact. He swings at terrible pitches and Mauer rarely does. However, Alex is a good athlete and is healthy (unlike Mauer) and is really providing surplus value in LF and on the basepaths. He's basically turned into Darrin Erstad.

DeezNutz 01-13-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9313510)
Yeah, those 14 bombs he hit in 650 AB last year were REALLLLLLY impressive. Gosh weren't you just blown away by that power surge? Don't you suspect steroids or something now when a guy hits 14 home runs in a season? What a power hitter!

He's a slap and line drive hitter, not close to a power hitter. He was supposed to be a Ryan Braun and hit 35hr. Maybe he'd fall short and be an Aramis Ramirez and hit 25 every year. Nobody thought he'd have Mark Teahen power. Alex hits line drives and is able to leg out lots of extra bases with his speed & athleticism and intelligence.

But his power is barely existent. He's a shadow of what we thought he'd be. Nobody figured he'd become a 5-WAR player by racking up tons of legged-out doubles and playing great defense in LF. Tht wasn't what we thought we were getting.

I have no idea of the intent of your first paragraph.

Gordon hits a lot of line drives and his approach is gap to gap, all of which are fine. While Gordon didn't end up living up to the hype, he's still ridiculously productive and valuable.

Don't denigrate what he does by labeling him a "slap hitter," which is inaccurate. Plain and simple.

Saul Good 01-13-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9313442)
Jack-King off.

Well played!

That's actually why that hand popped into my mind.

duncan_idaho 01-13-2013 02:37 PM

Calling Alex Gordon a slap hitter is just ignorant. He is a line-drive hitter, yes. But there's a big difference between guys that drive the ball and guys that try to slap it.

Juan Pierre is a perfect example of a slap hitter. Scott Podesdnik also fits the bill. There's a big difference between those guys and Alex Gordon.

He's probably not going to hit 30+ year after year, at least not playing home games at the K. But he's still someone who is going to average around 20 HR a season with the ability to hit 25.

Ceej 01-13-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9313723)
That's actually why that hand popped into my mind.

Terrible ****ing hand that gets mucked by me OOP 90% of the time.

mr. tegu 01-15-2013 08:36 AM

Anyone going to FanFest? It is this Saturday.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/...um/fanfest.jsp

Great Expectations 01-17-2013 01:41 PM

Any chance the Royals are interested in Marcum? What would it take to get Upton from Arizona? Colon, Bubba, and Smith?

duncan_idaho 01-17-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9328411)
Any chance the Royals are interested in Marcum? What would it take to get Upton from Arizona? Colon, Bubba, and Smith?

Arizona would probably need much more than that from KC to move Upton.

Bubba + Ventura + Colon is more likely (and only because they really like Colon, apparently).

I don't know if we'll see a Marcum signing, in fact I doubt it... but they ARE kicking the tires on Javier Vazquez, still.

stevenidol 01-17-2013 02:00 PM

I follow Bob Dutton, the Royals beat writer for the KC Star, on twitter and you can really tell how tired he is of answering people's questions about Jeff Franceour and the Shields trade.

Every moron fan that sends a "can we trade Jeff Franceour for Giancarlo Stantion" type question or "Dempster is better than Shields, we should have kept Myers" comment gets a response that seems to me like absolute disdain.

It's pretty entertaining.

DeezNutz 01-17-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9328445)
Arizona would probably need much more than that from KC to move Upton.

Bubba + Ventura + Colon is more likely (and only because they really like Colon, apparently).

I don't know if we'll see a Marcum signing, in fact I doubt it... but they ARE kicking the tires on Javier Vazquez, still.

Done. Yesterday.

If we're going all in, so be it.

duncan_idaho 01-17-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9328503)
Done. Yesterday.

In retrospect, that package is probably light UNLESS something else of note is included. Maybe one of the other SSs (Calixte?).

But yeah, I'd be willing to swing a strong package to Arizona for Upton.

TLO 01-17-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9307252)
Check out my new signature guys!

I'm glad you decided to save it.

cookster50 01-17-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9328517)
In retrospect, that package is probably light UNLESS something else of note is included. Maybe one of the other SSs (Calixte?).

But yeah, I'd be willing to swing a strong package to Arizona for Upton.

They'd want someone more established than any of those players to be the centerpiece.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9328503)
Done. Yesterday.

agreed

duncan_idaho 01-17-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookster50 (Post 9328551)
They'd want someone more established than any of those players to be the centerpiece.

They've been linked to packages from the Rangers that included Mike Olt and the Braves that included Julio Teheran.

I don't know that anyone really knows what they truly want or what it would take to pull the trigger.