ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Peter King: You have to go back to 1997 to find a draft like this one (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270181)

htismaqe 02-20-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9418245)
Mvp candidate? Youve lost your damn mind.

I'm not the only person that said it. Dane isn't gonna love you no matter how much you do this.

Titty Meat 02-20-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418250)
I'm not the only person that said it. Dane isn't gonna love you no matter how much you do this.

You werent the only person who said Stanzi was going to be a player in this league either.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9418258)
You werent the only person who said Stanzi was going to be a player in this league either.

ROFL

It's a good thing I'm not petty and pathetic enough to keep track of your predictions.

Titty Meat 02-20-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418259)
ROFL

It's a good thing I'm not petty and pathetic enough to keep track of your predictions.

Weve all been wrong in the past its whatever. The fact you think Harvin was an actual MVP candidate is a head scratcher to me unless you are talking about a list of 50.

Chris Meck 02-20-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418238)

What's funny is the Chiefs have shown exactly ZERO interest in Nick Foles and the Eagles have shown exactly ZERO interest in trading him.

THIS, we can agree on. I wouldn't if I were Philly, with Vick the only other real option.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9418278)
THIS, we can agree on. I wouldn't if I were Philly, with Vick the only other real option.

Yep, I said it the other day.

Foles has more upside than Vick and Dixon COMBINED.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 08:26 AM

There's also this little thought:

People keep saying Andy Reid drafted Foles and that's the connection.

According to what some of the Eagles' fans posted here, Andy DIDN'T draft Foles. In fact, he didn't draft ANYBODY the last couple of years.

That's why Reid is in KC and Howie Roseman is still in Philly. Roseman wrested control of personnel from Reid a couple of years ago with the backing of Jeff Lurie and Lurie has been tickled pink with the last couple of drafts.

There's EVERY reason to believe that Roseman was the reason they drafted Foles. It's entirely possible Reid doesn't like him at all.

Titty Meat 02-20-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418288)

According to what some of the Eagles' fans posted here, Andy DIDN'T draft Foles. In fact, he didn't draft ANYBODY the last couple of years.

That's why Reid is in KC and Howie Roseman is still in Philly. Roseman wrested control of personnel from Reid a couple of years ago with the backing of Jeff Lurie and Lurie has been tickled pink with the last couple of drafts.

There's EVERY reason to believe that Roseman was the reason they drafted Foles. It's entirely possible Reid doesn't like him at all.

Personally I think the whole Foles to KC thing has always been a crock of shit.

The Chiefs will draft a QB #1.

Sully 02-20-2013 08:28 AM

My problem with Alex Smith is this...
His coach (who happens to be pretty good), decided he wasn't good enough, after a season and a half of decent play, and, for all intents and purposes, benched him.

As for Foles (he's not going anywhere, btw), if he were to be traded, once again you've got a guy who was deemed not good enough.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9418271)
Weve all been wrong in the past its whatever. The fact you think Harvin was an actual MVP candidate is a head scratcher to me unless you are talking about a list of 50.

He was in the conversation before his injury. Lots of people were talking about it.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9418296)
His coach (who happens to be pretty good), decided he wasn't good enough, after a season and a half of decent play, and, for all intents and purposes, benched him.

This.

Jim Harbaugh made the change because he felt Alex Smith's upside was something LESS THAN THE SUPER BOWL. That's the only reason to make that change when he made it - because he felt Kaepernick had Lombardi upside and Alex Smith didn't.

Why anyone would want him here is beyond me. At VERY BEST, it's another Joe Montana lose in the AFC Championship scenario. Our team isn't NEARLY as good as the SF team, especially on defense.

Titty Meat 02-20-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418299)
He was in the conversation before his injury. Lots of people were talking about it.

Who are these people? Youre reaching.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9418317)
Who are these people? Youre reaching.

ESPN, NFLN, Football Night in America, Rush Limbaugh?

Lex Luthor 02-20-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9416406)
I am so sick of it, that if they marched Stanzi out there and went 0-16, it would be refreshing to me.

LOL, WUT?

Hey, I get it. You want the Chiefs to draft a quarterback. So do I.

But don't destroy your own credibility with statements like that.

Titty Meat 02-20-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418320)
ESPN, NFLN, Football Night in America, Rush Limbaugh?

Rush Limbaugh? lol

htismaqe 02-20-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9418346)
Rush Limbaugh? lol

:D

Hammock Parties 02-20-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418288)

Yeah...we've only heard from the Chiefs about not picking a QB #1.

And somehow that's kind of grown to also mean they're trading for Foles, just because of media speculation.

Unless I missed something there's been nothing about the Chiefs wanting Foles.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9418389)
Unless I missed something there's been nothing about the Chiefs wanting Foles.

You haven't missed anything.

In fact, you haven't missed anything on the Alex Smith front either. Outside of Trent Dilfer's "my friend Alex Smith would be a good fit in KC because Andy Reid likes him" crap, there isn't an OUNCE of substance to those rumors.

Frankie 02-20-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9417781)
That's just the thing. Foles is as much an unknown as any of the QBs in this draft.

To us, my man. Not to Reid.

Frankie 02-20-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9417883)
Foles is unknown to you, not the head coach.

I was only 11 hours late.

Frankie 02-20-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9417972)
Its about compromise, not previous knowledge. Im sick of compromising. All this franchise DOES is compromise. It's time to stop taking it in the ass, and start GIVING IT. No more ****ing excuses.
Posted via Mobile Device

I want the next Len Dawson, once and for all. I am also tired of compromising. But taking a QB at 1 who may be a late 1st rounder in value is a compromise too. Is Geno worthy of the top pick. I'm hoping the combine and the interviews will bring that into focus.

BigCatDaddy 02-20-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9418463)

I was only 11 hours late.

Care to rethink this, Dane?

Frankie 02-20-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9418216)
Except that it's not.
Foles is a 24 year old kid, who started and played well in college, who has a good arm and played pretty well on a shit team with little help as a rookie.

Cassel never played a down of college football, has a weak arm and took what had been an 18-1 team the previous season to a 10-6 record (with the scheduling gods playing the Pats against what was a horrible NFC West).

You cannot compare him to Cassel, they're nothing alike in any way, shape, form, experience level, background, physical attribute, or potential. They are literally two white guys who play QB and the similarity ends there.

The situation would be more like when GB traded a #2 for Brett Favre back in like '91 or '92 or whatever. If Reid thinks Foles is better than any of the possible draftees I'm good with it. I'd still like a high-ish pick to hedge the bet, though, and I like Nassib as a guy you could groom and hedge the bet.

I don't think Reid just hands anyone anything, it doesn't seem to be his MO. I would expect that Foles would start over any second round QB and Stanzi just based on past performance, but I don't think Reid would stick with him if there's a better player on the bench like ***** did.

This, all day. good post.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9418460)
To us, my man. Not to Reid.

For all we know, Reid thinks he's shit.

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418511)
For all we know, Reid thinks he's shit.

This is also true.

At this point in time, EVERYTHING, other than what Dorsey has specifically said, is pure speculation.

Frankie 02-20-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9418296)

Another way to look at it is:

Harbaugh inherited a good Acura which he tuned up and drove. But before he could be sure of the Acura's performance he bought himself a Cadillac and kept it in the garage. When the Acura had an accident he fired up the Cadi and drove it. Having experienced driving the Cadi he now won't drive the Acura. The Acura is still a high end Honda, but not quite a Cadillac. That's all. I would buy an underpriced Acura in a scenario like that in a heartbeat.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9418544)

Harbaugh inherited a good Acura which he tuned up and drove. But before he could be sure of the Acura's performance he bought himself a Cadillac and kept it in the garage. When the Acura had an accident he fired up the Cadi and drove it. Having experienced driving the Cadi he now won't drive the Acura. The Acura is still a high end Honda, but not quite a Cadillac. That's all. I would buy an underpriced Acura in a scenario like that in a heartbeat.

Why would you buy an underpriced Honda when you know that, in order to get to your desired destination, you NEED the Cadillac?

BigCatDaddy 02-20-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9418544)

I'd rather buy a lottery ticket where I have 3 possible outcomes of getting the Caddy, getting the Acura, or getting a Volvo than settling for a sure thing Acura.

DJ's left nut 02-20-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9418271)

He was, actually. This was just the first thing I found at the 1/4 pole:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...d-the-mvp-race

and another:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...in-on-the-rise

Right before he was injured, he was on a bunch of short-lists for the MVP. He had just had a run of weeks where he just kept making huge plays to swing the lead and he was getting a lot of MVP talk. AP hadn't had his massive streak yet (which started after Harvin went down) and the Broncos were just building momentum.

You forget that was at about week 8; a lot of things changed over the last 1/2 of the season. But he's absolutely right - Harvin was getting plenty of discussion for the first half MVP. He wasn't the top candidate, but he we certainly a top 10 guy.

DJ's left nut 02-20-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418559)
Why would you buy an underpriced Honda when you know that, in order to get to your desired destination, you NEED the Cadillac?

Because you don't.

Joe Flacco isn't a Cadillac.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9418593)
Because you don't.

Joe Flacco isn't a Cadillac.

Alex Smith isn't Joe Flacco.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 10:29 AM

Look, I'm already letting Dane talk me into Nick Foles. :banghead:

There's not enough of my dignity left to let you talk me into Alex ****ing Smith.

Ain't gonna happen... :D

DJ's left nut 02-20-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418599)
Alex Smith isn't Joe Flacco.

Eh, 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.

They're different players, but Alex Smith would be far better in the WCO that Reid runs than Joe Flacco would be.

DJ's left nut 02-20-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418606)

There's not enough of my dignity left to let you talk me into Alex ****ing Smith.

I died a little inside after reading the Kissel article and thinking to myself "Y'know...we could do a lot worse..."

Dammit! Begone, Nick Foles!

htismaqe 02-20-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9418633)
Eh, 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.

They're different players, but Alex Smith would be far better in the WCO that Reid runs than Joe Flacco would be.

Better than bad does not equal good.

I have no doubt Alex Smith would be ADEQUATE.

I don't want adequate.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9418637)
I died a little inside after reading the Kissel article and thinking to myself "Y'know...we could do a lot worse..."

ROFL

Frankie 02-20-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418606)

ROFL

:clap:

htismaqe 02-20-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9418637)

Before you get too down about it, go read my latest response in the Kissel thread. I've mentioned it before and so has Dane.

milkman 02-20-2013 12:30 PM

This perception that Harbaugh somehow fixed Alex Smith is just not accurate.

Harbaugh did freat job of masking Smith's flaws with scheme and play calling.
He turned him into pretty good game manager that didn't lose games for them.

Did Smith even average 200 yards a game?

And Kyle Williams never gets to be the goat in that NFC Championship loss if Smith converts just 2 or 3 meaningful 3rd downs.

Deberg_1990 02-20-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9419057)
This perception that Harbaugh somehow fixed Alex Smith is just not accurate.

Harbaugh did freat job of masking Smith's flaws with scheme and play calling.
He turned him into pretty good game manager that didn't lose games for them.

Did Smith even average 200 yards a game?

And Kyle Williams never gets to be the goat in that NFC Championship loss if Smith converts just 2 or 3 meaningful 3rd downs.

Right. The Niners were basically a better version of the 90s Chiefs. Run hard, play tough D, solid turnover ratio

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-20-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9418478)
I want the next Len Dawson, once and for all. I am also tired of compromising. But taking a QB at 1 who may be a late 1st rounder in value is a compromise too. Is Geno worthy of the top pick. I'm hoping the combine and the interviews will bring that into focus.

Oh its going to bring it in to focus alright, and this "draft anyone but a QB with the first"-BULLSHIT will cease and decist.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city 02-20-2013 12:54 PM

Is it bad draft value if you take a mid to late first round projected QB and he turns into the QBOTF?

Value or rather worth I guess seems to be a hindsight thing. We drafted Dorsey were he was slotted, but was that good value?

In the end, it's about getting good players that fit your system and help you win. Who gives a shit about value.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9419115)
Who gives a shit about value.

People that are trying to win the Draft instead of trying to win the Lombardi.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-20-2013 01:11 PM

this. I truly pray dorsey and reid arent the buffoons the media is hoping they will be...
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief 02-20-2013 01:11 PM

Here is a list of all the quarterbacks in the last 10 superbowls.

Brady/Collins
Brady/McNabb
Rothlisberger/Hasselback
Eli/Brady
Peyton/Grossman
Rothlisberger/Warner
Brees/Peyton
Rodgers/Rothlisberger
Eli/Brady
Flacco/Kaepernick

13 quarterbacks.

How many of them were better than Geno Smith COMING OUT OF COLLEGE?

O.city 02-20-2013 01:12 PM

While I like geno as a prospect, it's getting a little overblown around here. Lets just let it play out.

BossChief 02-20-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9419175)
While I like geno as a prospect, it's getting a little overblown around here. Lets just let it play out.

What the **** is overblown? Reading is fundamental...

This shows that all qbs have warts coming out...especially the guys that made it to the biggest stage in the sport.

O.city 02-20-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9419183)
What the **** is overblown? Reading is fundamental...

Yeah, or the fact that probably 7 of those guys were better prospects at the time.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-20-2013 01:19 PM

break it down homes, or shut it.
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief 02-20-2013 01:19 PM

Trying to insert something new into a conversation that has beaten every other discussion to death.

O.city 02-20-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9419171)

Brady/Collins
Brady/McNabb
Rothlisberger/Hasselback
Eli/Brady
Peyton/Grossman
Rothlisberger/Warner
Brees/Peyton
Rodgers/Rothlisberger
Eli/Brady
Flacco/Kaepernick

13 quarterbacks.

McNabb, Roethlisberger, Eli, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees aren't really arguable. You could argue Kaepernick.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-20-2013 01:21 PM

i was talking to O.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-20-2013 01:23 PM

Youd have to go back to 1977 to find some dumbassed team building philosphy to compare with the bullshit spouted by King. By Sweet Dick Willie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-20-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9419194)
McNabb, Roethlisberger, Eli, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees aren't really arguable. You could argue Kaepernick.

lololololololol
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city 02-20-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9419206)
lololololololol
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I can't imagine you would look at that unbiased. At all.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-20-2013 01:29 PM

shit, i dont even need HINDSIGHT to look at THAT and "lol"...
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut 02-20-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

You have an internal logic fail here.

If Rodgers isn't arguable, but there was a huge faction of the draft folks that thought Smith was better than Rodgers coming out of college, then isn't Smith also not arguable?

The same logic can be applied to Rivers/Eli.

Brees fell to the 2nd and wasn't Brees for 3 years.

It's an odd question, really. BUt I think a fair statement is that many of those names could have been considered better than Geno coming out of college, but the only truly 'inarguable' example is Peyton Manning. Otherwise you have to put yourself in the position of claiming that Alex Smith was also better than Geno coming out. You wanna hitch yourself to that wagon?

BossChief 02-20-2013 01:30 PM

I think it's arguable that Geno isn't an inferior prospect to McNabb or Brees as a colle prospect. Brees had measurable issues and McNabb.

McNabb didn't even complete 55% of his passes as a sophomore or Junior.

His highest yardage total of a season was 2488 yards

His best year throwing touchdowns was 22.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Coming out of college?

He's superior as a prospect to Brees, period. Brees was coming out of the spread before the spread was en vogue, plus Brees is a midget.

I think it's arguable whether or not he's a better prospect that Big Ben. Ben had some serious question marks coming out and he too came from a spread offense.

Out of the guys on that list, the ones that were DEFINITIVELY better prospects than Geno, without the benefit of hindsight, are:

McNabb
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning

And that's about it.

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9419171)

Brady/Collins
Brady/McNabb
Rothlisberger/Hasselback
Eli/Brady
Peyton/Grossman
Rothlisberger/Warner
Brees/Peyton
Rodgers/Rothlisberger
Eli/Brady
Flacco/Kaepernick

13 quarterbacks.

All but Hasselbeck, Grossman and Warner.

If Smith takes his team to a championship game or Super Bowl by the end of his second season, the debate could be re-opened, depending on how that team was led.

But at this point in time, before the Combines, before the Draft, before training camp, etc. it's just damn silly to make these comparisons.

MagicHef 02-20-2013 01:34 PM

Here are some first round draft numbers:

Over the past 20 years, 45 QBs have been drafted in the first round. 29 of them (64%) had a better better win percentage during their time with the team that drafted them than that team had during the 3 years prior to their draft. That is to say, 64% of them improved their teams. That does not include Eli or Rivers, neither of whom played at all for the team that drafted them.

Here are the percentage of first rounders by position that improved their teams:

QB: 64% (Improved their team by an average of 0.58 wins/season)
RB: 57% (0.48)
DT: 55% (0.12)
WR: 54% (0.27)
S: 54% (0.42)
DE: 51% (-0.08)
OT: 51% (0.14)
LB 51% (0.54)
OG 45% (-0.05)
TE 45% (-0.07)
CB 45% (-0.31)
OC 27% (-0.77)
K 0% (-0.36)

So. Draft a QB.

O.city 02-20-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9419223)
You have an internal logic fail here.

If Rodgers isn't arguable, but there was a huge faction of the draft folks that thought Smith was better than Rodgers coming out of college, then isn't Smith also not arguable?

The same logic can be applied to Rivers/Eli.

Brees fell to the 2nd and wasn't Brees for 3 years.

It's an odd question, really. BUt I think a fair statement is that many of those names could have been considered better than Geno coming out of college, but the only truly 'inarguable' example is Peyton Manning. Otherwise you have to put yourself in the position of claiming that Alex Smith was also better than Geno coming out. You wanna hitch yourself to that wagon?

Then I accomplished somewhat what I hoped to with that.

It's pretty much impossible to look at something like that with no hindsight glasses on, because we know the end game. We can take the scouting report they had as a prospect, hold it up to what they are now, and see what matches up.

IMO, you can't effectively analyze and/or compare prospects accross time, because you can't take that element out of it. Which is why the whole Luck/RGIII stuff is somewhat overblown, just as the "he's no DT etc."

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9419237)
Coming out of college?

He's superior as a prospect to Brees, period. Brees was coming out of the spread before the spread was en vogue, plus Brees is a midget.

I think it's arguable whether or not he's a better prospect that Big Ben. Ben had some serious question marks coming out and he too came from a spread offense.

Out of the guys on that list, the ones that were DEFINITIVELY better prospects than Geno, without the benefit of hindsight, are:

McNabb
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning

And that's about it.

He didn't say "Better Prospects". He said "Better QB's".

HUGE difference.

Tom Brady won put a team on his shoulders and won a Super Bowl in Year Two. Kaepernick led his team to a Super Bowl in Year Two. Collins led the Panthers to the NFC Championship in Year Two. Etc. and so on.

Just because scouts missed on guys doesn't mean that the players weren't ready to lead a team.

O.city 02-20-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9419239)

If Smith takes his team to a championship game or Super Bowl by the end of his second season, the debate could be re-opened, depending on how that team was led.

But at this point in time, before the Combines, before the Draft, before training camp, etc. it's just damn silly to make these comparisons.

I don't know about that, but like I said, it's really impossible to do.

We know for a fact what those others DID as a pro. We have no idea what Smith will become.

It's just not a real good road to head down, IMO.

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9419241)
So. Draft a QB.

Over-drafting a QB in the first round doesn't make him worthy of being a first round QB.

BossChief 02-20-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9419239)

You're right Dane, we should probably just shut the board down for maintenance until after the draft.

Forgive me for listing the quarterbacks that have been to the recent superbowls and asking "what skills do these guys have that Geno doesn't and which were better PROSPECTS coming out of college.

O.city 02-20-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9419256)
Over-drafting a QB in the first round doesn't make him worthy of being a first round QB.

Actually, from what I've read and seen at this point, I think Smith and Barkley are both first round prospects. Where in the first round is what the next month or two will determine.

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9419258)
You're right Dane, we should probably just shut the board down for maintenance until after the draft.

Forgive me for listing the quarterbacks that have been to the recent superbowls and asking "what skills do these guys have that Geno doesn't and which were better PROSPECTS coming out of college.

What's ****ing RIDICULOUS is that you're asking a question that CANNOT BE ANSWERED.

YOU have no idea how Eugene Smith will play in the NFL. None. Not ONE iota. Because you WANT him to be drafted by the Chiefs and WANT him to play well, you're PROJECTING when in reality, you have absolutely no idea where he'll land or how he will perform.

If you're going to ask that question of Smith, why not ask it of Nassib, Wilson, Glennon, Dysert and Manuel? And even if you did, it would be an empty response made up of pure CONJECTURE, not fact.

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9419264)
Actually, from what I've read and seen at this point, I think Smith and Barkley are both first round prospects. Where in the first round is what the next month or two will determine.

Reading ten million mock drafts provides absolutely no clarity and it's just ridiculous to believe that anyone has any idea of where these players will land, especially before the Combines and personal visits begin.

It's conjecture: Guys sit around and try to match players with needs. That's it. And they all read each other's mock drafts and influence each because they want to be seen as "right" at the end of the day.

It's a pointless exercise, especially this early in the process.

BossChief 02-20-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9419252)
He didn't say "Better Prospects". He said "Better QB's".

HUGE difference.

Tom Brady won put a team on his shoulders and won a Super Bowl in Year Two. Kaepernick led his team to a Super Bowl in Year Two. Collins led the Panthers to the NFC Championship in Year Two. Etc. and so on.

Just because scouts missed on guys doesn't mean that the players weren't ready to lead a team.

I didn't say that at all.

BossChief 02-20-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9419268)
What's ****ing RIDICULOUS is that you're asking a question that CANNOT BE ANSWERED.

YOU have no idea how Eugene Smith will play in the NFL. None. Not ONE iota. Because you WANT him to be drafted by the Chiefs and WANT him to play well, you're PROJECTING when in reality, you have absolutely no idea where he'll land or how he will perform.

If you're going to ask that question of Smith, why not ask it of Nassib, Wilson, Glennon, Dysert and Manuel? And even if you did, it would be an empty response made up of pure CONJECTURE, not fact.

You're being obtuse and not paying attention.

I CLEARLY asked for everyone to look at the players that made it to the superbowl and then trying to look back at them WHEN THEY WERE COMING OUT OF COLLEGE and seeing how Geno stacks up to them at that point.

If you don't think that can be looked at objectively, I guess I can't help you because all YOU ever saw were 2 ****ing games that Geno Smith has EVER played. His worst two games of his career, to boot.

If someone else would have done that at any point in the last few years, you would clown them.

Some of us have watched nearly every game of his from the last two years.

O.city 02-20-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9419271)
Reading ten million mock drafts provides absolutely no clarity and it's just ridiculous to believe that anyone has any idea of where these players will land, especially before the Combines and personal visits begin.

It's conjecture: Guys sit around and try to match players with needs. That's it. And they all read each other's mock drafts and influence each because they want to be seen as "right" at the end of the day.

It's a pointless exercise, especially this early in the process.

Wasn't really talking about that, more what kiper and mayock are saying

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9419274)
I didn't say that at all.

No where does your post say "Prospects".

You asked who was better coming out of college. First off, that can't be answered because Smith hasn't played in the NFL yet but I think it's safe to say that many of those players, especially Brady, were missed by scouts.

Hammock Parties 02-20-2013 01:56 PM

Chill out Dane, that's what he meant.

As a prospect, Geno is superior to guys who are 6 feet tall, and superior to almost every guy who only had one year of decent production...like Tannehill.

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9419284)
Some of us have watched nearly every game of his from the last two years.

I'll be completely honest: I don't give a ****. I don't give a **** how many games you've watched or GoChiefs or Milkman. It doesn't matter.

What matter is the GM of the Kansas City Chiefs said that there is NO QB in this draft worthy of a first round grade. Period. End of story.

That's the SAME EXACT THING that's been said by reporters and scouts during the 2012 college season and the 2013 offseason.

Now, due to need, a QB or two might be chosen in the first round but that doesn't mean that they're true first round talent. Some teams will just "roll the dice".

All this blather and bluster about "I've watched "film" is ridiculous nonsense, especially BEFORE THE COMBINES.

And JFC, the guy didn't show up at the Senior Bowl and those that did, sucked ass. So all this "Oh, the draft class is no weaker than in year's past" is absolute garbage.

Especially considering not one of these guys has played a down in the NFL.

milkman 02-20-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9419301)
No where does your post say "Prospects".

You asked who was better coming out of college. First off, that can't be answered because Smith hasn't played in the NFL yet but I think it's safe to say that many of those players, especially Brady, were missed by scouts.

You are being both obtuse and hypocritical.

He's asking how Geno stacks up as prospect against how those guys stacked. Up when they were just prospects.

It's not that ****ing hard.

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9419306)
Chill out Dane, that's what he meant.

As a prospect, Geno is superior to guys who are 6 feet tall, and superior to almost every guy who only had one year of decent production...like Tannehill.

In YOUR opinion.

BossChief 02-20-2013 01:59 PM

FFS

I asked about them (ill put it caps, again...pay attention) AS THEY WERE COMING OUT OF COLLEGE. What the **** does that have to do with how they played as pros and how would it require ANY hindsight?

DaneMcCloud 02-20-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9419310)
You are being both obtuse and hypocritical.

He's asking how Geno stacks up as prospect against how those guys stacked. Up when they were just prospects.

It's not that ****ing hard.

Well **** me.

I guess that fact that scouts missed on Brady, Kaepernick, Wilson, Warner, etc. and so on means that Geno Smith will be the greatest ****ing QB of all time.

Yay.

Hammock Parties 02-20-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9419312)
In YOUR opinion.

And the opinion of several other draftniks who do this shit for a living.

Shit, Bucky Brooks AND Pat Kirwan said he was going #1 this week.