ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith to ask for release (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269401)

HolyHat 01-28-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9359743)
All I'm pointing out is that there are viable alternatives for Reid and Dorsey.

Taking the "sixth best" QB in the 2011 draft has worked out well for San Fran.

And with the season kapearnick and Wilson have had you can bet the farm that teams are really going to start over drafting and reaching on QBs

SAUTO 01-28-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9359749)
I would agree, I don't think he'd come here if we were going to draft a QB at 1. But if he was interested in the idea of coming here despite that, I'd be interested. He's a 28 year old former #1 overall pick. He does have raw talent. But I wouldn't trade picks for him or not draft a QB because of him.

It's unbelievable to me that the same board that one year ago was pining for Kyle flipping Orton thinks Alex Smith is beneath them though. That's crazy.

we didn't have the no. One last year
Posted via Mobile Device

HolyHat 01-28-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

It's unbelievable to me that the same board that one year ago was pining for Kyle flipping Orton thinks Alex Smith is beneath them though. That's crazy.

Kyle Orton is cheap and has a strong arm. Alex Smith is expensive with a noodle arm.

Priest31kc 01-28-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9359783)
we didn't have the no. One last year
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly.

And we knew Matt Cassel was coming back so of course we would've rather have had Orton than him.

Signing Alex Smith would most likely mean we are giving him the starting job like mentioned, meaning we most likely won't draft a QB #1 overall and if we do draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd, they won't start either.

Meaning Alex Smith is our starting QB for a few years. Yay.

Not.

Same thing this franchise has always done.

Was Smith better under Harbaugh? Sure. Was he a franchise type QB? Of course not. He got benched for a 2nd round pick that never played a down in the NFL yet and he's now about to be released. Franchise QBs don't get released or traded.

But its okay for the Chiefs to sign him up and start him because that's what we've always done and it's always worked out for us right?

Just no to Alex Smith. Unless of course he accepts backing up our draft pick, but he won't.

tk13 01-28-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9359790)
Kyle Orton is cheap and has a strong arm. Alex Smith is expensive with a noodle arm.

His arm strength is not great, but it's certainly not a noodle arm. It's definitely more than good enough to run a WCO. Reid had success in the playoffs with Jeff Garcia and his noodle arm, Alex Smith is much better than that.

Kyle Orton is great between the 20s but not when it counts or under pressure.

O.city 01-28-2013 08:47 PM

I think Dane has been misunderstood here. I don't think he's advocating that this is the best option, but that it is in fact a legitimate option.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9359824)
His arm strength is not great, but it's certainly not a noodle arm. It's definitely more than good enough to run a WCO. Reid had success in the playoffs with Jeff Garcia and his noodle arm, Alex Smith is much better than that.

So lets be clear, you want Alex Smith as your starter for the next 5 years?

HolyHat 01-28-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9359824)

And Alex Smith is not better than Jeff Garcia. (When Garcia was Smiths age) I would actually compare Smith to Garcia.

tk13 01-28-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9359830)

That's exactly what I said. Face palm.

I said clear as day twice that I wouldn't trade picks for the guy or not draft a QB at #1 because of him... but if he was willing to come here in spite of that and risk being a backup, I would consider it, yes. The QB position on this team is an utter disaster and the rest of you are acting like Scott ***** by picking one guy and sticking to it. Dorsey should be doing everything in his power to improve all three spots at the position.

That's what I was pointing out, I like picking out irony. A 28 year old former #1 pick isn't good enough for us because we have the #1 pick, so nothing can go wrong for us now. If you can't pick out the irony in that statement I can't help you.

The other part is pointing out he wasn't good enough for Harbaugh. And you know why he wasn't good enough for Harbaugh? Because he doesn't play the *****-ego game and continues to improve every position regardless of who was picked when, and then plays the best players.

Alex Smith will not get 5 more years with any team to prove himself. But if you're asking me if I'd rather have him than Matt Cassel as the backup, then I would say yes.

cosmo20002 01-28-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9357864)
Alex Smith to ask for release

Well, bye.

/49ers

HolyHat 01-28-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9359873)
That's exactly what I said. Face palm.

I said clear as day twice that I wouldn't trade picks for the guy or not draft a QB at #1 because of him... but if he was willing to come here in spite of that and risk being a backup, I would consider it, yes. The QB position on this team is an utter disaster and the rest of you are acting like Scott ***** by picking one guy and sticking to it. Dorsey should be doing everything in his power to improve all three spots at the position.

That's what I was pointing out, I like picking out irony. A 28 year old former #1 pick isn't good enough for us because we have the #1 pick, so nothing can go wrong for us now. If you can't pick out the irony in that statement I can't help you.

The other part is pointing out he wasn't good enough for Harbaugh. And you know why he wasn't good enough for Harbaugh? Because he doesn't play the *****-ego game and continues to improve every position regardless of who was picked when, and then plays the best players.

Alex Smith will not get 5 more years with any team to prove himself. But if you're asking me if I'd rather have him than Matt Cassel as the backup, then I would say yes.

If the Chiefs get Alex Smith he won't be a backup...that's what I'm telling you.

wazu 01-28-2013 09:03 PM

No. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9359887)
No. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

NO!

ClevelandBronco 01-28-2013 09:07 PM

Unless you're drafting three QBs you're going to need a backup.

Frankie 01-28-2013 09:08 PM

I don't wanna get into a debate with the Geno-is-God cult here. Hypothetically, assessing all possibilities, IF our QBOTF turns out not in this draft, making us wait another year or two, then how much do you think the Chiefs should pay for the tie-over QB Alex Smith?

1- Again, before some of you get your panties up in a bunch, this is hypothetical. I'm not saying do this. I'm saying if the FO were going to do this how much (in draft picks/players) do you approve of them paying the 49ers.

2- If this question has been asked and answered in this thread I don't give a shit and won't go read the entire thread. Just answer the question.

Coogs 01-28-2013 09:12 PM

What's the problem with doing it like Seattle did? My guess is everyone thought Flynn was the starter once he signed there. Yet they still went out and drafted a QB... and had a competition. The rookie won the competition. That's life.

Alex Smith and whichever QB the new staff deems worthy and let's get it on. Best man plays.

RealSNR 01-28-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9359917)
I don't wanna get into a debate with the Geno-is-God cult here. Hypothetically, assessing all possibilities, IF our QBOTF turns out not in this draft, making us wait another year or two, then how much do you think the Chiefs should pay for the tie-over QB Alex Smith?

1- Again, before some of you get your panties up in a bunch, this is hypothetical. I'm not saying do this. I'm saying if the FO were going to do this how much (in draft picks/players) do you approve of them paying the 49ers.

2- If this question has been asked and answered in this thread I don't give a shit and won't go read the entire thread. Just answer the question.

You know, the QB-or-bust crowd wouldn't jump down peoples' throats so often if it weren't for bitchy potshots that get fired across our bow all the time. It gets really ****ing tiring to read stuff like "Geno-is-God cult" and not respond to it. That kind of attitude is why the gloves come off so often. It's this dumbass notion that everybody needs to respect all opinions just because they're opinions.

Opinions can be wrong if they're not adequately supported, and that's why QB supporters get edgy, which is why you're being overly defensive about a simple question. Nobody was going to lambast you. People can read. They see the word "if" in your post. They know it's just a hypothetical.

As for an answer to your question, it doesn't make any sense at all for Alex Smith to ask for a release if the money isn't as good as what he's getting in San Fran. And that's regardless of if he gets a starting job or not. That's what's so weird about this. No team is going to want to pay him that much just to be a stop gap. You're going to have to find a team that actually wants him to be a long-term guy. And I don't know if he'll find many teams that want that.

Setsuna 01-28-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9359604)
Are you a diehard Jags fan? W/O using google can you name your ST coach from 04-06?

No I'm not a diehard Jags fan. Your point is moot. I have no idea who our ST coach was. And honestly I don't care.

hometeam 01-28-2013 09:37 PM

This guy has been Cassel his whole life, **** this shit.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9360002)
No I'm not a diehard Jags fan. Your point is moot. I have no idea who our ST coach was. And honestly I don't care.

I'm not trying to prove a point. My Uncle was the ST coach.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9359751)
I didn't say he would sign with us. I said if we could sign him AS A BACKUP, I'm on board.

While Smith could start for 20 teams or more in this league, he's not going to get many offers to come in and start. In part, due to the harbaugh, and to the number of young guns in this league already. Teams aren't going to turn their back on a young guy who has shown some promise, unless he's a Blaine Gabbert ( a guy I called a bust long before draft day ).

Your post is a major contradiction.

When Smith is released, The NY Jets, Bills and Jaguars will most definitely be interested. Teams like the Chiefs and Titans will likely be interested. It wouldn't be a shock to see the Eagles and even the Vikings interested.

With Smith, Peterson, Harvin and Rudolph, the Vikings would be dangerous.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9359781)
And with the season kapearnick and Wilson have had you can bet the farm that teams are really going to start over drafting and reaching on QBs

How many of the QB's in the 2013 class have the athletic backgrounds that Kaep and Wilson share?

I swear, 99% of the people that post about QB's are ****ing talking out of their asses.

Reerun_KC 01-28-2013 09:43 PM

The fact that this is a thread shows how sad this franchise and fanbase is... Alex Smith? ROFL Garbage QB for a Garbage Franchise...

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9359790)

Noodle arm?

Uh, no.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9359933)
What's the problem with doing it like Seattle did? My guess is everyone thought Flynn was the starter once he signed there. Yet they still went out and drafted a QB... and had a competition. The rookie won the competition. That's life.

Alex Smith and whichever QB the new staff deems worthy and let's get it on. Best man plays.

Flynn's situation and Smith's situation aren't at all alike. One of them has already been a starter in this league.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 9359806)
Exactly.

And we knew Matt Cassel was coming back so of course we would've rather have had Orton than him.

Signing Alex Smith would most likely mean we are giving him the starting job like mentioned, meaning we most likely won't draft a QB #1 overall and if we do draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd, they won't start either.

Meaning Alex Smith is our starting QB for a few years. Yay.

Not.

Same thing this franchise has always done.

Was Smith better under Harbaugh? Sure. Was he a franchise type QB? Of course not. He got benched for a 2nd round pick that never played a down in the NFL yet and he's now about to be released. Franchise QBs don't get released or traded.

But its okay for the Chiefs to sign him up and start him because that's what we've always done and it's always worked out for us right?

Just no to Alex Smith. Unless of course he accepts backing up our draft pick, but he won't.

Just more ****ing stupid ass shit.

Do any of you mother****ers even WATCH the NFL?

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9359830)

Let's be clear: Your reading comprehension absolutely sucks.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9360059)
How many of the QB's in the 2013 class have the athletic backgrounds that Kaep and Wilson share?

I swear, 99% of the people that post about QB's are ****ing talking out of their asses.

I don't think I said anything about 2013 in my post. Dane, I know more about football than you think.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9359917)

Frankie, this kind of shit is completely unnecessary.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9360075)
Let's be clear: Your reading comprehension absolutely sucks.

And. Here. We. Go.

Dane kicks into bipolar mode

Setsuna 01-28-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9360046)
I'm not trying to prove a point. My Uncle was the ST coach.

Oh yeah!? That's pretty cool man. We went to the playoffs in 2005 so props to him. Tell him thank you. We were only relevant a year after he left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9360053)
Your post is a major contradiction.

When Smith is released, The NY Jets, Bills and Jaguars will most definitely be interested. Teams like the Chiefs and Titans will likely be interested. It wouldn't be a shock to see the Eagles and even the Vikings interested.

With Smith, Peterson, Harvin and Rudolph, the Vikings would be dangerous.

I'll burn the stadium to the ground before they even dial the first number of Smith's agent's area code.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9360076)
I don't think I said anything about 2013 in my post. Dane, I know more about football than you think.

Based on your posts, I highly doubt that

Sorter 01-28-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9360080)
Oh yeah!? That's pretty cool man. We went to the playoffs in 2005 so props to him. Tell him thank you. We were only relevant a year after he left.

I'll burn the stadium to the ground before they even dial the first number of Smith's agent's area code.

ROFL

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9360078)
And. Here. We. Go.

Dane kicks into bipolar mode

Really?

Didn't you JUST accuse TK13 of wanting Smith for five years?

JFC, you're a ****ing moron.

"My uncle usta did coach in the NFL so I no morre than you!11111!!!".

:shake:

htismaqe 01-28-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

I would agree, I don't think he'd come here if we were going to draft a QB at 1. But if he was interested in the idea of coming here despite that, I'd be interested. He's a 28 year old former #1 overall pick. He does have raw talent. But I wouldn't trade picks for him or not draft a QB because of him.

I certainly wasn't pining for Orton. Looks different than Cassel, same result.

Coogs 01-28-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9360070)
Flynn's situation and Smith's situation aren't at all alike. One of them has already been a starter in this league.

True. But you can still have a competition without naming anyone the starter. Let them earn it.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9360098)
I certainly wasn't pining for Orton. Looks different than Cassel, same result.

But you cannot deny that plenty were pining for him.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9360085)
Based on your posts, I highly doubt that

And based off your posts I would assume your some back woods pussy boy that hates real confrontation. I'm still waiting for you to send me a message on where you would like to meet and discuss things further.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9360107)
And based off your posts I would assume your some back woods pussy boy that hates real confrontation. I'm still waiting for you to send me a message on where you would like to meet and discuss things further.

What? What are you saying, War Hero?

Are you physically threatening me, again?

And if by "woods", you mean, the Hollywood Hills, which is where I live, then yes.

HotCarl 01-28-2013 09:54 PM

There isn't any comparison between Orton and Smith. Smith did improve year by year since he didn't play in 2008, after his shoulder was repaired. For the last couple of years he's been a fairly efficient, if unspectacular, quarterback.

Nobody is saying he's great or anything, but he's certainly not Orton or Cassel, and could well be a Trent Green.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9360103)
True. But you can still have a competition without naming anyone the starter. Let them earn it.

You can say that but in reality a competition doesn't really happen between a rookie and a sure-to-be-paid-handsomely long-time starter.

Smith would be the starter, at least initially.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9360117)
What? What are you saying, War Hero?

Are you physically threatening me, again?

No sir, I don't make threats on the Internet. Never have. I offered to meet you and we could discuss things over a beer. Until that time, keep your tough guy attitude on the bench. Nobody cares about your Internet intimidation, especially not me.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotCarl (Post 9360124)
There isn't any comparison between Orton and Smith. Smith did improve year by year since he didn't play in 2008, after his shoulder was repaired. For the last couple of years he's been a fairly efficient, if unspectacular, quarterback.

Nobody is saying he's great or anything, but he's certainly not Orton or Cassel, and could well be a Trent Green.

Not interested.

Hammock Parties 01-28-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9359677)
For his career, Smith averages 6.6 Y/A and 178 YPG.

And we're conveniently ignoring the fact that the last two seasons he was a significantly better QB.

The 49ers benched a guy who was completing 70 percent of his passes at 8 yards per attempt. A guy who was 6-2-1 as a starter.

While I don't want Smith to be our only option as a starting QB, I won't cry if he's brought here to be a backup, nor will I attempt to undermine him based on statistics that don't really paint a true picture of the player.

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9360130)
No sir, I don't make threats on the Internet. Never have. I offered to meet you and we could discuss things over a beer. Until that time, keep your tough guy attitude on the bench. Nobody cares about your Internet intimidation, especially not me.

Right.

LMAO

Which is why you've said that I'm "ducking" you and and won't accept your PM's.

ROFL

I live 2,000 miles from KC. I rarely come back. If you're on the West Coast, do as Htis advised and drop me a Rep Note.

HotCarl 01-28-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9360131)
Not interested.

It's fair to not be interested, I was just making the statement that he is probably a league average starting QB, whereas the other two were career backup type players.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9360135)
And we're conveniently ignoring the fact that the last two seasons he was a significantly better QB.

The 49ers benched a guy who was completing 70 percent of his passes at 8 yards per attempt. A guy who was 6-2-1 as a starter.

While I don't want Smith to be our only option as a starting QB, I won't cry if he's brought here to be a backup, nor will I attempt to undermine him based on statistics that don't really paint a true picture of the player.

Most people wouldn't have a problem with him coming here as a backup or a 24-month stop gap.

The problem is that those scenarios just aren't realistic.

A more likely scenario is the one HotCarl suggested - he comes in like Trent Green and starts for 5 or 6 years.

I love Trent but goddammit I am tired of other people's trash lining up at QB for the Chiefs.

Coogs 01-28-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9360128)
You can say that but in reality a competition doesn't really happen between a rookie and a sure-to-be-paid-handsomely long-time starter.

Smith would be the starter, at least initially.

I suppose.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotCarl (Post 9360149)
It's fair to not be interested, I was just making the statement that he is probably a league average starting QB, whereas the other two were career backup type players.

He's probably a little better than league average actually. I just don't want to get stuck at the cusp again and not be able to get over the hump.

HotCarl 01-28-2013 09:59 PM

It would be hard to picture him signing in KC. He deserves a starting shot in the league, and someone will give it to him. He wouldn't want to sign with a team that appeared to at least be an even chance to draft a 1st round QB

O.city 01-28-2013 09:59 PM

If Reid and Dorsey decide not to draft a QB at 1, instead waiting until the 2nd, yeah bring in Smith.

However, if we draft a guy at 1, i'd prefer him to start right away. Trial by fire kinda thing.

Hammock Parties 01-28-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9360150)
Most people wouldn't have a problem with him coming here as a backup or a 24-month stop gap.

The problem is that those scenarios just aren't realistic.

A more likely scenario is the one HotCarl suggested - he comes in like Trent Green and starts for 5 or 6 years.

I love Trent but goddammit I am tired of other people's trash lining up at QB for the Chiefs.

I agree, but if he comes here debating "he is a 6.6 YPA QB" for 5 months is not something I want to read.

I don't think he's that guy, especially not with Reid coaching him.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9360166)
I agree, but if he comes here debating "he is a 6.6 YPA QB" for 5 months is not something I want to read.

I don't think he's that guy, especially not with Reid coaching him.

I don't necessarily think he's the guy you saw in San Fran either. The 49ers protected him a lot with Frank Gore. He rarely had to throw the ball 35 times a game.

With Reid, he'd have to throw the ball A LOT more than he's used to and with that, I think his mistakes go up.

Frankie 01-28-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9359967)
You know, the QB-or-bust crowd wouldn't jump down peoples' throats so often if it weren't for bitchy potshots that get fired across our bow all the time. It gets really ****ing tiring to read stuff like "Geno-is-God cult" and not respond to it. That kind of attitude is why the gloves come off so often. It's this dumbass notion that everybody needs to respect all opinions just because they're opinions.

Opinions can be wrong if they're not adequately supported, and that's why QB supporters get edgy, which is why you're being overly defensive about a simple question. Nobody was going to lambast you. People can read. They see the word "if" in your post. They know it's just a hypothetical.

As for an answer to your question, it doesn't make any sense at all for Alex Smith to ask for a release if the money isn't as good as what he's getting in San Fran. And that's regardless of if he gets a starting job or not. That's what's so weird about this. No team is going to want to pay him that much just to be a stop gap. You're going to have to find a team that actually wants him to be a long-term guy. And I don't know if he'll find many teams that want that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9360077)
Frankie, this kind of shit is completely unnecessary.

SNR and htismaqe, compared to a lot of the Geno-or-bust posters you are two of the more informed posters. So when you post in support of Geno-at-the-top notion, I take it as your opinion that I just don't totally agree with. You have done some homework and arrived at the reason for supporting it.

I'm never a go-for-broke-blind kind of guy and I like to consider all options in my personal decisions. So I want to see the Chiefs be very careful in how they use the top pick. But you have to admit that there ARE those posters on your side too that are just posting as if Geno Smith IS the second coming of John Elway, but don't exactly know why. Most of their posts reflect lack of reasoning. This is a two way street. Those guys also post in a style of cutting down posters of or close to my POV. And more often than not they do it in the most deliberately disrespectful manner.

You two seem to get very defensive when someone posts like I did on the Geno matter. No need for that. If you have a history of informed football posts you should know I was not singling you out. I bet there has been football topics we have agreed on many times.

I posted my question the way I did because I know if I don't clearly qualify it like I did I would get replies and personal attacks, leaving me with the option of either engaging them in kind or regretting my return to this forum. I no longer have time nor appetite for that shit.

SNR, your answer to my question wasn't really the answer to my question. The question was based on the hypothesis that no first or 2nd round QB were taken and you as a fan had to live with an Alex Smith trade. What would be the maximum price (in draft picks or players) you would accept for our FO to pay for him. The contract stuff is left to the FO in this hypothesis and not our concern.

Again I'm asking this of anyone who wants to answer. And if you do, it is under the qualifications that I set up, so if any of you is attacked because of your answer, it is the attacker who looks stupid.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 10:25 PM

we should sign Smith

then the Chiefs can roll out their marketing campaign, "Back to the Future!"

maybe create some commercials where you see Bono's face morph into Grbac's face morph into Smith's face while ACDC plays in the back ground and the phrase "Most Wins in the 90's" flashes over the screen in comic sans....

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:25 PM

YPA with Smith is pretty silly. Alot of it has to do with the playcalling. They aren't a high receiving yardage team. Not even with Kaepernick. This has more to do with Roman's strategic offense than player ability.

jd1020 01-28-2013 10:29 PM

I'd take him as an insurance policy for a rookie bust.

But, lets be honest, the guy is making starting money to sit on the bench and he wants out. He isn't going to sit on the bench somewhere else for backup money. He'll be a starter somewhere.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 10:31 PM

i would pay Smith extra to say he hates BBQ....

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 10:33 PM

the coolest part would be in the future, when all ex-49er QBs have a reunion....the ones without rings would be sitting together at the 'played for chiefs' table nearest the double doors to the Holiday Inn kitchen...

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 10:35 PM

how cool would it be if Smith wore #13?

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:36 PM

How cool would it be if The Talking Can learned how to multiquote a post?

Reerun_KC 01-28-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9360358)
How cool would it be if The Talking Can learned how to multiquote a post?

Your mom thought it was cool when he double qouted her...

Hammock Parties 01-28-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9360300)
we should sign Smith

then the Chiefs can roll out their marketing campaign, "Back to the Future!"

maybe create some commercials where you see Bono's face morph into Grbac's face morph into Smith's face while ACDC plays in the back ground and the phrase "Most Wins in the 90's" flashes over the screen in comic sans....

LMAO

This is a terrific idea for a mocking video if it happens.

Remind me of this if the horror of Alex Smith in KC occurs.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 10:41 PM

how cool would it be if Smith gave his introductory press conference and said, "I'm a less handsome Grbac with more talent than Bono...the Chiefs haven't been 9-7 since 2006...I'm here to put an end to that"

tk13 01-28-2013 10:44 PM

I have to say... Bono was like a 6th or 7th round pick. Grbac was an 8th round pick. Cassel was a 7th round pick. Smith was drafted #1 overall. It's just not the same.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9360383)
I have to say... Bono was like a 6th or 7th round pick. Grbac was an 8th round pick. Cassel was a 7th round pick. Smith was drafted #1 overall. It's just not the same.

that's what he should say at the presser....maybe while wearing a giant foam finger with #1 on it

tk13 01-28-2013 10:46 PM

Don't be a moron. This is pretty much the same as saying David Carr and Tim Couch failed at #1, so Geno Smith will too.

Hammock Parties 01-28-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9360383)

yes it is

because he played for the 49ers

and he's a backup now

IT'S THE SAME AND LOLS WILL BE HAD

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9360389)
Don't be a moron. This is pretty much the same as saying David Carr and Tim Couch failed at #1, so Geno Smith will too.

LMAO...wut?

and Smith should wear a Montana jersey at his introduction and make Clark call him 'Joe' whenever they talk on the phone

tk13 01-28-2013 10:53 PM

You're not this stupid. It's not even worth arguing about. If you don't believe there's a talent difference between a 7th round QB and the #1 overall pick in the draft then I can't help you.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 10:56 PM

wait, this is the commercial...

scene: Candlestick

Montana throws a pass out of the stadium

scene: edge of Grand Canyon

Bono catches it, and throws it over the canyon

scene: Wewoka, Oklahoma

Grbac catches it, turns and throws it over a Pilot Truck stop

scene: Arrowhead, 50 yard line

Smith catches it, turns and throws a swing pass to McCluster who jukes his way 50 yards down an empty field for a TD while Luke Joeckel blocks better than Albert

music: dub step

"From the Land of Superbowls to the Super Place with Lots of Bowls..err....Chiefs!"

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9360410)
You're not this stupid. It's not even worth arguing about. If you don't believe there's a talent difference between a 7th round QB and the #1 overall pick in the draft then I can't help you.

This forum is so Pro-Geno that there's no alternative other than Geno.

My advice is to stop wasting your time trying convince people otherwise.

Hammock Parties 01-28-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9360417)

Not true.

People are gonna be satisfied as long as we take a QB in the 1st.

Geno is just Jesus Christ in a lot of people's eyes, but they'll settle for Tyler "Abraham" Wilson.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Who would you like to see here Dane?

Fat Elvis 01-28-2013 10:59 PM

Alex Smith has had 7 offensive coordinators in his first 7 years in the league. Amazing how after he had the same coordinator for two years in a row he wound up with a 70.2% completion rate, 13/5 TD/INT ratio, and a 104.1 QB rating (only to be dumped after an injury for Colin K).

I think Reid could do good things with him.

A couple of Smiths on this team would suit me just fine.

O.city 01-28-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Well, I can't speak for others, but I know I do like Geno, but I also like Wilson and Barkley.

I just want the Chiefs to draft and develop their own QB as I think thats the best way to longterm success.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9360410)

i'm not arguing about anyone's talent level....

i would have to take it seriously to entertain that discussion...I obviously don't...

would you like to argue that acquiring another 49 cast off is a bold and fresh direction for this franchise, Mr. Grumpy Pants?

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9360427)
Well, I can't speak for others, but I know I do like Geno, but I also like Wilson and Barkley.

I just want the Chiefs to draft and develop their own QB as I think thats the best way to longterm success.

Here's the honest to God's truth: I don't ****ing care.

I see people talking about "Super Bowl" this and "Super Bowl" that. This team hasn't won a ****ing playoff game in 20 years and hasn't won anything of significance in more than 40 years.

I want to see the new regime take steps to improve this franchise and make it a contender each and every year for the conference championship.

If that means Smith or Flynn or whomever, while drafting and developing QB's along the way, so be it. I don't give a **** what the solution is to this 50+ year problem.

Just ****ing fix it.

NightHawk 01-28-2013 11:03 PM

It would be good to bring Smith in as competition against whoever the Chiefs decidece to draft at quarterback (Wilson or Smith). However, I just don't see A. Smith wanting to be in this type of situation.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 11:03 PM

they could do a bit where the camera is a still shot on Clark's face in profile...and he turns slowly, like Herman Cain, and then says in his sexiest voice, "San Francisco....4th time's a charm, baby"