ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Top DC Candidate (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268579)

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293453)
so risky....oh no

Well that's just plain dumb.

If the best QB in the draft is equal to a guy like Joey Harrington, you don't just take him because you need a QB.

I hope that Reid identifies a QB he feels worthy of the #1 overall pick.

But if he doesn't, I'm not going to ballistic, curse the franchise, etc. because I think he knows more than the fans at this point, even long suffering fans.

-King- 01-07-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293398)
Whoa. There's a difference between a Franchise QB and a "potential" Franchise QB.

If you're choosing a QB #1 overall, you'd better be damn certain he's a franchise QB, or heads will roll.

How exactly can one be certain?

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293448)
You're right, it does, but you can't just waste the number one pick on a long shot.

They're ALL long shots for ****'s sake...

KC kid 01-07-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9293521)
These are the same talking heads who had Griffin going between 8 and 10 at this time last year.

Very true. Lets hope a QB rises up the charts Griffin (not Sanchez) style

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293472)
I keep reading that Luke Joeckel is a Joe Thomas type player though. We will see what happens over the next few months with the draft board.

Luke Joeckel isn't in the same time zone as Joe Thomas. Don't say it again, it's ****ing blasphemy.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9293442)
I think now a days with the structure of the slotting system for draft picks, it allows to get away from a mistake in the top 10 easier

From a financial standpoint, absolutely.

But if the player chosen doesn't become a Franchise QB, you've burned a minimum of two years, if not three.

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293512)
Is that what *I* said? No.

Look around. All of the talking heads are saying there is no Franchise QB in this year's draft. No where did I say that the Chiefs shouldn't take a guy #1 overall.

yes, this is what you said

Quote:

If you're choosing a QB #1 overall, you'd better be damn certain he's a franchise QB, or heads will roll.
there is no certainty, and it makes no god damn difference if he's #1 or #5 or #8 or #12....

heads will roll eventually, for everyone...not drafting a QB, or passing on one because "you're not damn certain" will lead to failure...it may be delayed a year or two because you squeezed some mediocre seasons out of a shit bag vet/backup...but you'll end up with your head lopped off

keg in kc 01-07-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293538)
Luke Joeckel isn't in the same time zone as Joe Thomas. Don't say it again, it's ****ing blasphemy.

Yeah, but it's a safer pick, because if he flames out at left tackle, he might still become a mediocre guard!

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293529)
Well that's just plain dumb.

If the best QB in the draft is equal to a guy like Joey Harrington, you don't just take him because you need a QB.

I hope that Reid identifies a QB he feels worthy of the #1 overall pick.

But if he doesn't, I'm not going to ballistic, curse the franchise, etc. because I think he knows more than the fans at this point, even long suffering fans.

you don't know what the outcome will be until you try...but you have to actually ****ing try to have any chance at success

but yeah, we should avoid the risk of failure...

that's worked great for 30 years...have fun with that

there's a QB in this draft...Reid's job is to draft him

it's that simple

AustinChief 01-07-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9293514)
He had a bunch of penalties and Clowney had clearly worn him down by the end. I wouldn't touch the guy anywhere in the top 10 (course I've long thought that...)

He had a COUPLE of penalties and held up pretty damn well, especially given that he often was without help. I have concerns that drop him to a 5-15 pick for me. I see him going right around #10.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9293532)
How exactly can one be certain?

Bill Polian was certain when he drafted Jim Kelly, Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning. Ernie Accorsi was certain when he traded for Eli Manning.

Ryan Grigson was certain when he took Andrew Luck. Shanahan and Allen were certain when they took RGIII.

I think a guy like Andy Reid has a better sense than someone like Romeo Crennel, which is why Clark Hunt went so hard after Reid.

If Reid isn't absolutely certain, I don't think he'd take a guy, just to take a guy.

The Bad Guy 01-07-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9293320)
Because i hear that Childress turned him down.

No he didn't. Whoever is feeding your info is wrong.

SAUTO 01-07-2013 07:12 PM

If Shannahan was absolutely certain about RG3 why did they draft another in the same draft?
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293541)
there is no certainty, and it makes no god damn difference if he's #1 or #5 or #8 or #12....

Bullshit.

You're telling me "smart people" questioned Elway's ability to lead a franchise? Or Peyton Manning? Or Andrew Luck or RGIII?

Bull ****ing shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293541)
heads will roll eventually, for everyone...not drafting a QB, or passing on one because "you're not damn certain" will lead to failure...

Absolutely untrue.

Again, should the Chiefs take the best QB in the NFL Draft if his ability is equal to Akili Smith, Joey Harrington or even Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker, because they just happen to NEED a QB?

That is outright ****ing stupid.

NJChiefsFan 01-07-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293540)

But if the player chosen doesn't become a Franchise QB, you've burned a minimum of two years, if not three.

That's going to happen with any QB the Chiefs go after. Whether it be Flynn, A. Smith, Freeman, or a kid in the draft. Either way you are looking at putting a couple years in with him.

O.city 01-07-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293573)
Bullshit.

You're telling me "smart people" questioned Elway's ability to lead a franchise? Or Peyton Manning? Or Andrew Luck or RGIII?

Bull ****ing shit.

Absolutely untrue.

Again, should the Chiefs take the best QB in the NFL Draft if his ability is equal to Akili Smith, Joey Harrington or even Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker, because they just happen to NEED a QB?

Again here you are using the 3 or 4 best prospects in the history of the QB position.

Easy 6 01-07-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293560)
If Reid isn't absolutely certain, I don't think he'd take a guy, just to take a guy.

THIS

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Bullshit.

Bull ****ing shit.

Absolutely untrue.

this shit is hilarious...no wonder we've gone 30 years without a QB

you guys are just making up new, stupid reasons to not draft a QB...****ing pussies...

identify the best QB in the draft

draft him

it is not complicated....or...or don't for another 30 years because no QB is as cute as Luck..

the way we've retroactively re-evaluted all QBs based on this year's class is hilarious, and by hilarious i mean ****ing reeruned

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9293559)
He had a COUPLE of penalties and held up pretty damn well, especially given that he often was without help. I have concerns that drop him to a 5-15 pick for me. I see him going right around #10.

That's fair. I see Joeckel going around 5 and Lewan a little lower. I think Lewan has a higher floor, while Joeckel has the higher ceiling.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293555)
you don't know what the outcome will be until you try...but you have to actually ****ing try to have any chance at success

but yeah, we should avoid the risk of failure...

That's a GREAT philosophy. Take a position of need in the draft because you NEED that position filled.

That's worked out SO well with defensive lineman, hasn't it? Downey, Sims, Freeman, Siavii, Dorsey, Jackson, Poe, etc. and so on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293555)
there's a QB in this draft...Reid's job is to draft him

it's that simple

That's why Cleveland, Buffalo, Arizona, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Oakland, Tampa Bay and Kansas City all need a Franchise QB.

Simple.

:facepalm:

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293581)
this shit is hilarious...no wonder we've gone 30 years without a QB

you guys are just making up new, stupid reasons to not draft a QB...****ing pussies...

identify the best QB in the draft

draft him

it is not complicated....or...or don't for another 30 years because no QB is as cute as Luck..

the way we've retroactively re-evaluted all QBs based on this year's class is hilarious, and by hilarious i mean ****ing reeruned

You're ****ing reeruned.

O.city 01-07-2013 07:17 PM

And what if he does bust? Where does that put us? Worse than what?

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9293580)
THIS

OH NOES!!! YOU'RE BEING A PUSSY!!

keg in kc 01-07-2013 07:18 PM

I don't think there's any way that one of the quarterbacks in the 2013 draft doesn't have the potential to be a franchise QB. Maybe it's Geno Smith. Maybe it's Tyler Wilson. Maybe it's (probably not) Matt Barkley. Maybe it's somebody else.

Their job is to figure out who that guy is and take him. No excuses.

And there are QBs in this draft equivalent to or better than Bradford or Stafford or Palmer, guys who all went #1, guys who've all played well, guys who were not expected to be the next Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck. But guys who were worthy of the #1 pick.

I've said it before, you can't go into the pick expecting hall of fame talent. Because if that's the bar you set, then you you can't draft any position. Because maybe there isn't a Manning in this draft (or is there? let's see how February goes), but there also isn't a Pace or a Suh or a Charles Johnson or a Derrick Thomas. Hell, people are even talking about drafting the new Aaron Curry in the top 10, once tonight's game is over.

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293583)
That's a GREAT philosophy. Take a position of need in the draft because you NEED that position filled.

That's worked out SO well with defensive lineman, hasn't it? Downey, Sims, Freeman, Siavii, Dorsey, Jackson, Poe, etc. and so on.

That's why Cleveland, Buffalo, Arizona, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Oakland, Tampa Bay and Kansas City all need a Franchise QB.

Simple.

what are you babbling about?

it is simple, it is not risk free...you keep obsessing about failure...why?

identify the best QB, draft him

simple...you can't guarantee success, you can only guarantee a chance at success by ACTUALLY DRAFTING A ****ING QB

i'd rather fail for trying then spend another 30 years failing for not trying...

O.city 01-07-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293585)
You're ****ing reeruned.

You're the one saying a guy has to be Elway, Luck, RGIII to draft first overall.

-King- 01-07-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293560)
Bill Polian was certain when he drafted Jim Kelly, Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning. Ernie Accorsi was certain when he traded for Eli Manning.

Ryan Grigson was certain when he took Andrew Luck. Shanahan and Allen were certain when they took RGIII.

I think a guy like Andy Reid has a better sense than someone like Romeo Crennel, which is why Clark Hunt went so hard after Reid.

That doesn't answer my questions. Cherry picking some good QBs doesn't explain anything.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Bullshit.

Bull ****ing shit.

Absolutely untrue.

Why do people keep bringing up Akili Smith as if it were some franchise-killing catastrophe?

Smith was drafted in 1999. The Bengals have drafted Carson Palmer AND Andy Dalton since then. Seems like they get it.

dirk digler 01-07-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293594)
what are you babbling about?

it is simple, it is not risk free...you keep obsessing about failure...why?

identify the best QB, draft him

simple...you can't guarantee success, you can only guarantee a chance at success by ACTUALLY DRAFTING A ****ING QB

i'd rather fail for trying then spend another 30 years failing for not trying...

yep.

-King- 01-07-2013 07:20 PM

This is the same guy that crucified people for not wanting to take Sanchez, Clausen, and Gabbert.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9293593)
I don't think there's any way that one of the quarterbacks in the 2013 draft doesn't have the potential to be a franchise QB. Maybe it's Geno Smith. Maybe it's Tyler Wilson. Maybe it's (probably not) Matt Barkley. Maybe it's somebody else.

And there are QBs in this draft equivalent to or better than Bradford or Stafford or Palmer, guys who all went #1, guys who've all played well, guys who were not expected to be the next Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck. But guys who were worthy of the #1 pick.

I've said it before, you can't go into the pick expecting hall of fame talent. Because if that's the bar you set, then you you can't draft any position. Because maybe there isn't a Manning in this draft (or is there? let's see how February goes), but there also isn't a Pace or a Suh or a Charles Johnson or a Derrick Thomas. Hell, people are even talking about drafting the new Aaron Curry in the top 10, once tonight's game is over.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Sassy Squatch 01-07-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9293602)
This is the same guy that crucified people for not wanting to take Sanchez, Clausen, and Gabbert.

Oh wow. That's just a hotbed of garbage.

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293600)
Why do people keep bringing up Akili Smith as if it were some franchise-killing catastrophe?

Smith was drafted in 1999. The Bengals have drafted Carson Palmer AND Andy Dalton since then. Seems like they get it.

we've haven't drafted any of these busts...so are we any better off?

no

you draft a QB

if he fails, you draft another one

you don't ever stop

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

you're much calmer than I

well said, and irrefutable

dirk digler 01-07-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

post of the year

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293614)
we've haven't drafted any of these busts...so are we any better off?

no

you draft a QB

if he fails, you draft another one

you don't ever stop

I agree.

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 07:27 PM

how can anyone even fathom going 2-14, having the #1 pick in the draft, and not drafting a QB?

how sick is that?

how perverse?

Priest31kc 01-07-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9293602)

LMAO

Geno, Wilson, Bray & Barkley are just as good of prospects as them, as well as Locker, Ponder, and even Bradford IMO.

I'm not understanding why this class is getting ripped by Kiper, McShay, etc...

Only thing I can think is because its coming off one of the best QB classes of all time.

But whatever. Guarantee Geno, Wilson & possibly Barkley & Bray will shoot up the boards after the combine and pro days. Kiper & company will mock Geno & Wilson in the top 10 eventually.

BigRedChief 01-07-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9293571)
No he didn't. Whoever is feeding your info is wrong.

Radio guy.

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293540)

Yes but if Geno or Wilson, after evaluation by Reid and the front office and scouts, is a franchise QB than you take him. Cant worry about the risk

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293600)

They drafted Palmer four years later and Dalton eight years later.

How many playoff games did they win in the span 1999 and 2011?

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 9293640)
LMAO

Geno, Wilson, Bray & Barkley are just as good of prospects as them, as well as Locker, Ponder, and even Bradford IMO.

Locker sucks and Ponder was called the worst QB in the NFL by Jimmy Johnson. Bradford certainly hasn't been "special".

ChiefsCountry 01-07-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293700)

They win a few if Palmer's knee doesn't get destroyed IMO.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293700)

How many did they win before that?

Drafting Akili Smith wasn't a "franchise killer" in any way, shape, or form.

ChiefsCountry 01-07-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293734)

**** before Akili Smith they had David Klinger.

Priest31kc 01-07-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293710)
Locker sucks and Ponder was called the worst QB in the NFL by Jimmy Johnson. Bradford certainly hasn't been "special".

Thats my point.

Sanchez, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder & Bradford were all taken in the Top 12.

Geno, Wilson, Bray & Barkley are just as good as them, if not better, which is why I'm not understanding why this class is getting shit on by everyone.

The Jets, Jags, Titans, Vikings & Rams didnt have a QB, so they took the best one available to them. They actually tried.

Doesn't look like its going to work out for most of them, but they tried and they'll try again until they get their guy.

We have yet to try. FOR 30 YEARS.

DeezNutz 01-07-2013 07:52 PM

This argument is completely stupid because there isn't another player that demands the selection. If Megatron were in this draft, I would understand the push to select him. That would actually be a pretty interesting predicament.

But he's not. And the new CBA mitigates any risk involved in taking anyone, regardless of position.

I'd draft a QB at 1/1 and play him immediately. If he doesn't at least flash, I would have zero reservations about drafting another QB in the very next draft.

Ultimately, if you don't have a QB, you simply cannot win a SB in this league, and I'm tired of knowing that the season is lost before it even begins.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 9293774)
Thats my point.

Sanchez, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder & Bradford were all taken in the Top 12.

Geno, Wilson, Bray & Barkley are just as good as them, if not better, which is why I'm not understanding why this class is getting shit on by everyone.

They're getting "shit on" because, at this point in time, none of those players listed deserved to be first rounders.

Quote:

The Jets, Jags, Titans, Vikings & Rams didnt have a QB, so they took the best one available to them. They actually tried.

So what?

This franchise shouldn't draft a guy, just to draft a guy, and further waste the careers of guys like Hali, Charles, Bowe, Johnson, etc.

Quote:

We have yet to try. FOR 30 YEARS.

Dumb. I don't give a **** what the Talking Can says, it's ****ing DUMB to draft a QB that's unworthy of the #1 overall selection, just because it hasn't been done in 30 years.

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

RealSNR 01-07-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9293502)
Ok this is complete bullshit. Joeckel and Lewan aren't worth a top 3 pick (IMHO) but they are NOT slapdicks. That's just dumb. Hell, Lewan held up fantastically versus Clowney... not exactly something a "slapdick" should be able to say.

I do however agree that I'd rather risk it on a QB IF our coaches/scouts think one has the upside. I'm sure after the combine this talk will all be moot.

Joe Thomas was worth the #1 overall pick. That's what I'm talking about.

The Chiefs have the #1 overall pick. If it matters to people that the QBs aren't worth it at that position, it should matter just as much that the LTs aren't worth it.

As far as the Chiefs are concerned, Joeckel and your boy Lewan may as well be slapdicks. They're utter ****ing wastes of a pick.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293734)

You're right: Their franchise had been dead for the better part of the decade by that point.

Look, I'm not stating that Chiefs shouldn't take a QB with the #1 overall selection.

I'm saying that they shouldn't take a QB with the #1 overall selection, just to take a QB.

JFC, is that so difficult to understand?

DeezNutz 01-07-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293805)
This franchise shouldn't draft a guy, just to draft a guy, and further waste the careers of guys like Hali, Charles, Bowe, Johnson, etc.

Acquiring a QB through FA pretty much makes a certainty that you're wasting time. However, we don't know what the outcome will be if we draft a QB; the ceiling is exponentially higher.

RealSNR 01-07-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293805)
Dumb. I don't give a **** what the Talking Can says, it's ****ing DUMB to draft a QB that's unworthy of the #1 overall selection, just because it hasn't been done in 30 years.

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

Show me the alternative, dude. Show me the Megatron. Show me the Von Miller. Where is he?

The answer is HE'S NOT IN THIS DRAFT.

There ARE, however, some QBs that at least have a shot at turning this franchise around.

That's who you take. The guy who might save your franchise.

None of these pass rushers will save a franchise.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9293843)
Acquiring a QB through FA pretty much makes a certainty that you're wasting time. However, we don't know what the outcome will be if we draft a QB; the ceiling is exponentially higher.

And it's also exponentially lower.

If you could have signed a guy that could lead you to playoffs, yet you drafted a piece of shit, you've further closed the window on your existing players.

Again, I'm good with however Andy Reid decides to move forward but if it's free agency or a trade back or a second rounder or even a first rounder in 2013, I'm not going shit myself.

And it seems like 75% of this forum will shit themselves if the selection is anyone other than Geno Smith.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293838)
You're right: Their franchise had been dead for the better part of the decade by that point.

Look, I'm not stating that Chiefs shouldn't take a QB with the #1 overall selection.

I'm saying that they shouldn't take a QB with the #1 overall selection, just to take a QB.

JFC, is that so difficult to understand?

It's not difficult to comprehend, but it's absolutely difficult to understand.

What is the ONE METHOD the Chiefs haven't used to acquire a QB in the last 20 years? And how many playoff games have they won in that span?

It's time for a different approach. We have the #1 pick in the draft. We likely won't EVER have this opportunity again.

Identify the best QB in this draft and take him. Period.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9293859)
Show me the alternative, dude. Show me the Megatron. Show me the Von Miller. Where is he?

The answer is HE'S NOT IN THIS DRAFT.

There ARE, however, some QBs that at least have a shot at turning this franchise around.

That's who you take. The guy who might save your franchise.

None of these pass rushers will save a franchise.

This is why I HATE discussing QB's before The Combines: People are ****ing irrational.

This shit is becoming just as annoying as the Stanzi lovers.

BigRedChief 01-07-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

As far as I'm concerned........ Draft two QB's, get another in FA, bring in a vet QB and bring in another undrafted QB. Let the best one play.

DeezNutz 01-07-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293885)
And it's also exponentially lower.

If you could have signed a guy that could lead you to playoffs, yet you drafted a piece of shit, you've further closed the window on your existing players.

Again, I'm good with however Andy Reid decides to move forward but if it's free agency or a trade back or a second rounder or even a first rounder in 2013, I'm not going shit myself.

And it seems like 75% of this forum will shit themselves if the selection is anyone other than Geno Smith.

My problem with trying to wait until the second is that you then have to be prepared to move up if QBs start coming off the board you believe someone else is targeting your guy.

I will flip my ****ing shit if we surrender next year's 1 or 2 to move back into the first to draft a guy we should have selected at 1/1.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293889)
It's not difficult to comprehend, but it's absolutely difficult to understand.

What is the ONE METHOD the Chiefs haven't used to acquire a QB in the last 20 years? And how many playoff games have they won in that span?

It's time for a different approach. We have the #1 pick in the draft. We likely won't EVER have this opportunity again.

Identify the best QB in this draft and take him. Period.

I don't really care. All I know is that the Chiefs would be absolutely foolish to draft a QB, just to draft a QB. They've been doing that same thing with defensive lineman for ****ing years and it's gotten them absolutely nothing.

RealSNR 01-07-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293909)
This is why I HATE discussing QB's before The Combines: People are ****ing irrational.

This shit is becoming just as annoying as the Stanzi lovers.

I'm not talking about QBs. I'm talking about every single non-QB in this draft.

I don't need the combine to tell you what a non-QB #1 overall pick looks like

DeezNutz 01-07-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9293915)
As far as I'm concerned........ Draft two QB's, get another in FA, bring in a vet QB and bring in another undrafted QB. Let the best one play.

I do believe we need to throw numbers at the situation, and we have the cap room to do everything you suggest above, including that vet. being a realistic option.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9293923)
My problem with trying to wait until the second is that you then have to be prepared to move up if QBs start coming off the board you believe someone else is targeting your guy.

I will flip my ****ing shit if we surrender next year's 1 or 2 to move back into the first to draft a guy we should have selected at 1/1.

Really? Wow, I wouldn't. I'd actually be thrilled that they came away with two high level starters in 2013.

The window is closing, fellas. And if you put Hali in a 3 point stance, his window will close more quickly.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293925)
I don't really care. All I know is that the Chiefs would be absolutely foolish to draft a QB, just to draft a QB. They've been doing that same thing with defensive lineman for ****ing years and it's gotten them absolutely nothing.

The game doesn't revolve around defensive linemen.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293940)
Really? Wow, I wouldn't. I'd actually be thrilled that they came away with two high level starters in 2013.

The window is closing, fellas. And if you put Hali in a 3 point stance, his window will close more quickly.

So the goal is wildcard weekend as quickly as possible? What happened to the real Dane?

DeezNutz 01-07-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293940)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

Pretty good snapshot of how shallow this draft is in terms of elite talent. Sheldon Richardson is #17 overall on this list. I'm a Mizzou fan and I've seen every snap this kid has ever played in D1.

If he's #17 overall, that's not a great statement. He's a fine player, a nice player, but he's far from elite.

KChiefs1 01-07-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9293983)

Pretty good snapshot of how shallow this draft is in terms of elite talent. Sheldon Richardson is #17 overall on this list. I'm a Mizzou fan and I've seen every snap this kid has ever played in D1.

If he's #17 overall, that's not a great statement. He's a fine player, a nice player, but he's far from elite.

I saw a mock draft where he was going 3rd to the Faiders.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293973)
So the goal is wildcard weekend as quickly as possible? What happened to the real Dane?

The "Real Dane" isn't doing anything but discussing possibilities.

Discussion is a good thing, especially when the new head coach alluded to the fact that it may not be until next year that he drafts a QB.

At this point, I'm numb to it all. Nothing would surprise me.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9293983)

And Geno Smith is #11 (not that I put any stock into these things before The Combines) but it seems like most people here are fine with taking the #11 talent at #1 overall.

I wonder if the Chiefs will feel the same and that's the point of my comments.

ChiefsCountry 01-07-2013 08:12 PM

Why are we worried about players like Hali and DJ? I would rather win for the next 15 than give a shit about their careers.

Mecca 01-07-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9294041)
And Geno Smith is #11 (not that I put any stock into these things before The Combines) but it seems like most people here are fine with taking the #11 talent at #1 overall.

A Qb with a point value of say 90 is more valuable than any other position with a 95+ score just remember that.
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler 01-07-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

I am not a huge Geno Smith fanboi but if he is the top-rated QB before the draft you take him. It is that simple.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

By the time the draft rolls around, there will likely be THREE QBs rated higher than 11. It's the nature of the modern game.

DeezNutz 01-07-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

And the LB who is now getting off his ass after getting run over, literally, is in the top 5.

Thus, take the position of greatest need and greatest upside to the organization.

Ultimately, I'll be very surprised if this isn't the approach, since no one else in the draft demands a different one.

Coogs 01-07-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Drew Brees?

Mecca 01-07-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9294042)
Why are we worried about players like Hali and DJ? I would rather win for the next 15 than give a shit about their careers.

Considering Hali's age and contract I don't think he's long for this team anyhow.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 01-07-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9294074)
Drew Brees?

And Brady was a 6th. You know how this works. Play the numbers.

dirk digler 01-07-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 9294063)
A Qb with a point value of say 90 is more valuable than any other position with a 95+ score just remember that.
Posted via Mobile Device

good point mecca

SAUTO 01-07-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9293923)

oh
God
Damn
This
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe 01-07-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9294018)
The "Real Dane" isn't doing anything but discussing possibilities.

Discussion is a good thing, especially when the new head coach alluded to the fact that it may not be until next year that he drafts a QB.

At this point, I'm numb to it all. Nothing would surprise me.

That same head coach, when asked about the QB situation in KC, said "they have the first pick in the draft".

Honestly, what do you expect them to say when he HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET? Does anybody expect him to say in his introductory presser "we are gonna take a QB #1 overall"?

WAY too much is being read into it, IMO.

keg in kc 01-07-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

If the 10 players listed in front of him are Jeockel, Werner, Jones, Te'o, Milliner, Moore, Mingo, Matthiews, Lotulelei and Lewan, then yes, I'd be completely fine with taking the #11 talent. Most valuable position (by far), team's greatest need (by far), greatest potential long term benefit. It's a no-brainer to me.

The stars have aligned.

SAUTO 01-07-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 9294004)
I saw a mock draft where he was going 3rd to the Faiders.

Ohhhhhh there is one where he goes two.

It was up in the header on the mock data base yesterday
Posted via Mobile Device