ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

|Zach| 07-05-2010 09:59 PM

I am not as knowledgeable as most but enjoy a lot of different beers.

At the office right now and finally had a Mojo IPA my friend brought me from Colorado. Really enjoying it a lot.

If I am out and about I am drinking Boulevard because I like to support the company. Singlewide IPA if they have it or Pale Ale.

Tired most the smoke stack series and have enjoyed it. I lost a bet to my business partner and there is a Tank 7 for him sitting in the fridge for him that I am hoping he cracks open and shares with me. :D

Some random beer thoughts from the past few months.

My roomie let me try a hoegarden or whatever it is...the one DaKCman posted. Not impressed. I also heard everyone falling over themselves for Hopslam. Tried it at Foundry in Westport and it just was not for me. I am not there yet, couldn't even finish it.

I still love love love Bell's (except for Hopslam) beers so much. Big fan of their Amber Ale. I also love having the occasional Blue Moon...reminds me of college. I feel like the only person that doesn't mind having a Boulevard Lunar Ale.

Reaper16 07-05-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 6860966)
I am not as knowledgeable as most but enjoy a lot of different beers.

At the office right now and finally had a Mojo IPA my friend brought me from Colorado. Really enjoying it a lot.

If I am out and about I am drinking Boulevard because I like to support the company. Singlewide IPA if they have it or Pale Ale.

Tired most the smoke stack series and have enjoyed it. I lost a bet to my business partner and there is a Tank 7 for him sitting in the fridge for him that I am hoping he cracks open and shares with me. :D

Some random beer thoughts from the past few months.

My roomie let me try a hoegarden or whatever it is...the one DaKCman posted. Not impressed. I also heard everyone falling over themselves for Hopslam. Tried it at Foundry in Westport and it just was not for me. I am not there yet, couldn't even finish it.

I still love love love Bell's (except for Hopslam) beers so much. Big fan of their Amber Ale. I also love having the occasional Blue Moon...reminds me of college. I feel like the only person that doesn't mind having a Boulevard Lunar Ale.

HopSlam is the bessssssssst. Well, not the very best. But nearly.

I likes me a BLVD Lunar Ale. It isn't the best beer in the American Dark Wheat Ale style; it isn't even the best American Dark Wheat Ale in the state of MO (Schlafly No. 15 is probably the best beer of its style in the world). But it is darn fine beer to have at lunch with a nice sandwich or at dinner with some pork loin. It is one of those beers that improves with food.

XXXshogunXXX 07-06-2010 06:12 AM

i knew san diego was up there

http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns

Quote:

The Top Five Beer Towns in the U.S.

1. SAN DIEGO

An eagerness to experiment and a passion for a pint (or three) put these cities on top.
by Christian DeBenedetti and Seth Fletcher

it’s the new beer capital of the U.S. Stone (maker of our number one ale) exemplifies the local approach, with aggressively hopped but completely drinkable brews. The variety of beers across the city is the most eclectic in the country.

Where to Drink: Thirtieth Street in North and South Parks is easily the nation’s best beer boulevard. Start with any of former firefighter Pat McIlhenney’s range of tap-only ales at the laid-back Hamilton’s Tavern (which taps special casks every Friday), then head to the beer-focused Linkery restaurant, which has frequent beer-pairing dinners. For your after party, hit the Toronado. The beer lists at all three are deep, stacked with the freshest local beers and exotic imports.

Beer Culture: The sheer number of breweries (33) blows us away. (It has crept past Portland, which has 29.) Visit almost any of them and you’ll find the brewmaster on hand, happy to chat over a pint.

Best Brews: Alpine Ale, Lost Abbey Duck-Duck-Gooze
theyre right about toronado's and hamiltons, their bar/lists always come through. Im surprised my watering hole isnt mentioned, obriens.

Reaper16 07-06-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXXshogunXXX (Post 6861402)
i knew san diego was up there

http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns

theyre right about toronado's and hamiltons, their bar/lists always come through. Im surprised my watering hole isnt mentioned, obriens.

If I am picking best beer towns in the U.S. then I am starting with San Diego, too. I disagree with that list only in having Chicago there. I'd put Minneapolis ahead of Chicago. Why? Surly and Town Hall, that's why.

Reaper16 07-06-2010 09:24 PM

Sipping on a bottle of 2009 Founders Nemesis. The 2009 vintage of this annual one-time-only recipe release is a wheatwine aged in maple bourbon barrels.

It needs more time in the cellar. It is still too hot and too sweet.

Shag 07-07-2010 04:46 PM

Saw a Boulevard Tank 7 for the first time in Minneapolis today, and picked up a bottle, based on it being mentioned around here all the time. Hope it's tasty.

Also grabbed a bottle of Boulevard's Imperial Pilsner collaboration beer, which I'm excited to try...

Reaper16 07-07-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6865052)
Saw a Boulevard Tank 7 for the first time in Minneapolis today, and picked up a bottle, based on it being mentioned around here all the time. Hope it's tasty.

Also grabbed a bottle of Boulevard's Imperial Pilsner collaboration beer, which I'm excited to try...

Both are really good. Tank 7 is great, even. I've only had one Saison from America that is better than Tank 7.

Shag 07-07-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6865112)
Both are really good. Tank 7 is great, even. I've only had one Saison from America that is better than Tank 7.

Which saison is that?

Reaper16 07-07-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6865151)
Which saison is that?

Boulevard's Saison-Brett.

Boulevard have mastered the Saison style. Their brewmaster, Stephen Pauwels, is from Belgium.

Shag 07-07-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6865285)
Boulevard's Saison-Brett.

Boulevard have mastered the Saison style. Their brewmaster, Stephen Pauwels, is from Belgium.

Is that distributed outside of MO? I'll have to keep an eye out for it, if it is...

Reaper16 07-07-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6865300)
Is that distributed outside of MO? I'll have to keep an eye out for it, if it is...

It is a limited-release beer. But Minneapolis gets some of all the Boulevard limited-release beers. You should be able to find some right now.

Shag 07-07-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6865303)
It is a limited-release beer. But Minneapolis gets some of all the Boulevard limited-release beers. You should be able to find some right now.

Awesome, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Wish I could find Bully Porter up here - I'm having a hard time imagining it being better than the Edmund Fitzgerald I'm drinking right now, but I'd like to find out first hand...

Reaper16 07-07-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6865357)
Awesome, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Wish I could find Bully Porter up here - I'm having a hard time imagining it being better than the Edmund Fitzgerald I'm drinking right now, but I'd like to find out first hand...

Its basically a wash. I'm just enamored with the contrasting bitternesses in Bully! Porter. It is super-roasty and pretty damn hoppy, and you perceive both of those bitternesses as distinct, playing off of each other.

OnTheWarpath15 07-17-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6865112)

Picked up the last bottle in stock at my local liquor superstore today.

Can't wait to try it. Might save it for my FF draft next month, though.

Reaper16 07-19-2010 10:19 PM

I've been suffering from major allergy bullcrap lately, prohibiting me from enjoying beer. I feel fine tonight, and as a result I'm decently intoxicated.

I had a bottle of Boulevard [Smokestack Series - Limited Release] Collaboration No. 1 (the Imperial Pilsner w/ Jon-Marie Rock of Orval). It is holding up very well; it is less fruity now but more pils-like than it was when fresh. The Saaz hops are really coming out right now.

I'm moving in two weeks and I have a 100+ bottle beer cellar. I'm thinking I should drink some of those beers so as to make moving easier. Right now I'm attempting to polish off my stash of Great Lakes Blackout Stout.

OnTheWarpath15 07-19-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6888718)
I've been suffering from major allergy bullcrap lately, prohibiting me from enjoying beer. I feel fine tonight, and as a result I'm decently intoxicated.

I had a bottle of Boulevard [Smokestack Series - Limited Release] Collaboration No. 1 (the Imperial Pilsner w/ Jon-Marie Rock of Orval). It is holding up very well; it is less fruity now but more pils-like than it was when fresh. The Saaz hops are really coming out right now.

I'm moving in two weeks and I have a 100+ bottle beer cellar. I'm thinking I should drink some of those beers so as to make moving easier. Right now I'm attempting to polish off my stash of Great Lakes Blackout Stout.

You could always make that move easier by shipping some of that beer to the Eastern part of the state...

I know someone that would enjoy some.

:D

Reaper16 07-19-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6888720)
You could always make that move easier by shipping some of that beer to the Eastern part of the state...

I know someone that would enjoy some.

:D

Irishjayhawk tried the same rhetorical tactic via Twitter not fifteen minutes ago. As I told him, that doesn't seem like the proper play from my perspective. :D But if you find yourself in Excelsior Springs in the next two weeks then I'd gladly open up some nice bottles for you.

OnTheWarpath15 07-19-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6888722)
Irishjayhawk tried the same rhetorical tactic via Twitter not fifteen minutes ago. As I told him, that doesn't seem like the proper play from my perspective. :D But if you find yourself in Excelsior Springs in the next two weeks then I'd gladly open up some nice bottles for you.

For the quality stuff you keep around on a regular basis, it would almost be worth the trip.

I know I'm way behind on this, but did you decide on Alabama?

Reaper16 07-19-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6888732)
For the quality stuff you keep around on a regular basis, it would almost be worth the trip.

I know I'm way behind on this, but did you decide on Alabama?

Yup. I've got a house lined up and a housemate who has already graduated from the MFA program there & is working as an instructor for the university; he writes nonfiction too and will daily be a source of inspiration. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing.

The only thing I'm not excited about is Alabama's draconian beer laws. Until last year you couldn't sell any beer over 6% ABV in AL. Until the last legislative session this year breweries couldn't sell growlers of draught beer. Both of those things were overturned thanks to the work of the grassroots organization Free The Hops. AL still has bullshit - for example, it is still against AL law to sell beer in any size greater than 16oz (no bombers or 750mL bottles) - but I think that will be overturned too in the time that I am in AL. I look forward to working with that organization and educating the people of Alabama about beer and advocating for craft beer.

OnTheWarpath15 07-19-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6888753)
Yup. I've got a house lined up and a housemate who has already graduated from the MFA program there & is working as an instructor for the university; he writes nonfiction too and will daily be a source of inspiration. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing.

The only thing I'm not excited about is Alabama's draconian beer laws. Until last year you couldn't sell any beer over 6% ABV in AL. Until the last legislative session this year breweries couldn't sell growlers of draught beer. Both of those things were overturned thanks to the work of the grassroots organization Free The Hops. AL still has bullshit - for example, it is still against AL law to sell beer in any size greater than 16oz (no bombers or 750mL bottles) - but I think that will be overturned too in the time that I am in AL. I look forward to working with that organization and educating the people of Alabama about beer and advocating for craft beer.

Very cool. Best of luck to you, and Roll Tide.

Shag 07-20-2010 11:19 AM

I really want to try the Odell Woodcut #4 (I love Oktoberfest beers), but found out it's $25/bottle. Insane. Probably won't pick one up at that price...

I did find a 6er of Bully! Porter last night, though. Haven't had a chance to try it yet...

Shag 07-20-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6888718)

I have a bottle of that Imperial Pilsner in my fridge. Should probably crack that fairly soon - been looking forward to trying it...

Reaper16 07-20-2010 11:21 AM

I just got 4x Founders Curmudgeon Old Ale in the mail. I don't know why I got them. I didn't trade for or order them. Totally strange.

ToxSocks 07-20-2010 11:49 AM

Tried the Dead Guy Ale. Pretty good. So...1 down 49 to go.

Dartgod 07-20-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6889267)
I just got 4x Founders Curmudgeon Old Ale in the mail. I don't know why I got them. I didn't trade for or order them. Totally strange.

Oh crap, did I have those shipped to your address?

I'll PM you mine so you can send them on.

Saulbadguy 07-20-2010 02:16 PM

Heading to the bar in an hour to drink a Tank 7.

Reaper16 07-20-2010 09:03 PM

Sipping on a 2008 bottle of De Struise Pannepot (Old Fisherman's Ale). I haven't had the venerable Westvleteren 12 but I've had nearly ever other significant Quadrupel - this bottle of Pannepot is the best Quad I've ever tasted.

Reaper16 07-22-2010 01:26 AM

Two beers tonight: both split with a friend, both over 10% ABV, both costing over $20 retail.

Odell Woodcut No. 3 is totally not worth the price. It is a pretty typical barleywine/strong ale. It tastes pretty good but fails to measure up to standards set by much cheaper beers in the style.

Russian River Consecration, a sour beer made with red currants and a whole lot of wild yeasts and bacteria, is tremendous. A true joy to drink.

Miles 07-22-2010 07:11 PM

Picked up a few on the way home from work:

Pliney the Elder (wasn't expecting that)
Great Divide - 16th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA
Ommegang - Tripel Perfection

Reaper16 07-22-2010 08:42 PM

Dwamn! Wow. Russian River Temptation is worth the price of admission. This is even better than the Consecration I had last night.

Trade for Temptation, peoples (or buy it, you ****s that live in CA). You will not regret it.

Much earlier in the day I had a bottle of Schlafly Irish-Style Export Stout. A store had a few six-packs broken down into 99 cent a piece bottles. It is a very good export stout; totally worth one dollar. Nice and roasty.

p.s. note that I have begun to hyperlink my reviews on BeerAdvocate on the titles of the beers I mention in this thread (when appropriate). Give 'em a read for more detailed information.

Miles 07-22-2010 08:56 PM

I have seen Temptation a few places around here but the $20 price tag has kept me away. Their Supplication sounds interesting.

Reaper16 07-22-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6893964)
I have seen Temptation a few places around here but the $20 price tag has kept me away. Their Supplication sounds interesting.

Most people think the Supplication is the best of the Russian River "-ation" series of American Wild Ales. I haven't been able to try the Supplication yet.

Miles 07-22-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6893978)
Most people think the Supplication is the best of the Russian River "-ation" series of American Wild Ales. I haven't been able to try the Supplication yet.

I might need to try it sometime. It's also pretty steep for a beer at around $13 for a 375 ml but sounds like it would be worth trying at least once.

I think the other one I have seen a few times without really looking is Damnation.

Toadkiller 07-22-2010 09:30 PM

I love supplication I also like the consecration. I had consecration on tap and it is very very different then anything i have had before, good but strange.

Reaper16 07-22-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6894000)
I might need to try it sometime. It's also pretty steep for a beer at around $13 for a 375 ml but sounds like it would be worth trying at least once.

I think the other one I have seen a few times without really looking is Damnation.

Damnation, despite the "-ation" suffix, is not a sour beer. It is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale ala Duvel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadkiller (Post 6894025)
I love supplication I also like the consecration. I had consecration on tap and it is very very different then anything i have had before, good but strange.

YAY for sour beers!

Miles 07-22-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6894038)
Damnation, despite the "-ation" suffix, is not a sour beer. It is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale ala Duvel

Thanks. I like Duvel so I will give it a shot. Really wasn't familiar with Russian River until recently so I look forward to trying a few of them.

OnTheWarpath15 07-23-2010 06:07 PM

Decided to pop the bottle of Tank 7 tonight.

Damn solid beer.

Shame I can't get anymore.

Reaper16 07-23-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6895278)
Decided to pop the bottle of Tank 7 tonight.

Damn solid beer.

Shame I can't get anymore.

Why not?

OnTheWarpath15 07-23-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6895327)
Why not?

I've called 4 different liquor superstores in town and they've told me they won't get anymore until next spring.

Same with Sam Adams Noble Pils.

Miles 07-23-2010 06:54 PM

Up for tonight:

Avery Brewing - The Reverend Quad
Ska Brewing - Decadent Imperial IPA

Reaper16 07-23-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6895338)
I've called 4 different liquor superstores in town and they've told me they won't get anymore until next spring.

Same with Sam Adams Noble Pils.

That doesn't make sense. Tank 7 is not a seasonal beer. Now, Noble Pils is a seasonal release. But Tank 7 is a year-round beer.

OnTheWarpath15 07-23-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6895368)
That doesn't make sense. Tank 7 is not a seasonal beer. Now, Noble Pils is a seasonal release. But Tank 7 is a year-round beer.

Interesting.

I was told it was a limited release outside of KC.

Matter of fact, the stores I regularly buy from had 10+ bottles of other Smokestack varieties in stock, and I was lucky enough to find one store that had a bottle left of T7.

Miles 07-23-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6895374)
Interesting.

I was told it was a limited release outside of KC.

That is a little odd. It is just as easy to find as most of the Smokestack series around here.

OnTheWarpath15 07-23-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6895383)
That is a little odd. It is just as easy to find as most of the Smokestack series around here.

I guess I'll make some calls, then.

After the 3rd store said the same thing, I just assumed these jackholes knew what they were talking about.

Hell, I'd like to buy a case of it, if I could find it.

I'm definitely grabbing some while I'm in town for the Bash, but I want more NOW.

Reaper16 07-23-2010 09:25 PM

Tonight I have had a revelation of a beer. De Struise Black Damnation II: Mocha Bomb. De Struise has this series of beers called Black Damnation. Each of them are crazy imperial stouts based on their already world class imperial stout Black Albert. Black Damnation II: Mocha Bomb is an insane blend of 50% Black Albert that has had a lot of Columbian craft coffee beans added, 25% De Struise Cuvee Delphine (Black Albert aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels) and 25% Hel & Verdoemenis (an imperial stout from De Molen brewery that was aged on Jack Daniels barrels for half a year).

Read my review on the hyperlink. This is the best blend of a coffee-forward stout & a barrel-aged stout that I've ever had, and that includes Founders famed Kentucky Breakfast Stout and Canadian Breakfast Stout. Canadian Breakfast Stout is really ****ing rare - never bottled but offered on-tap in major cities at least one time. KC and STL are going to get it in for a second time really soon). Black Damnation II is better and rarer. The Black Damnation series is not, and will not be, available for retail anywhere in America. I got mine straight from the brewery because I know a guy who knows a guy. And I still have one more bottle left of this elixir.

Tomorrow: De Struise Black Damnation III!

Miles 07-24-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6895354)
Up for tonight:

Avery Brewing - The Reverend Quad
Ska Brewing - Decadent Imperial IPA

Both were of the good but not great variety. The Ska IPA was pretty balanced but a bit sweet on the front end.

The Reverend Quad was a solid quad that I bought instead as of my usual Boulevard Quad and it didn't hold up to that standard.

Miles 07-24-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6893742)
Picked up a few on the way home from work:

Pliney the Elder (wasn't expecting that)
Great Divide - 16th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA
Ommegang - Tripel Perfection

Drank the Great Divide - 16th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA last night. Fairly unique wood flavor up front but not overdone. Really enjoyed that one and might need to buy another before the local supply is completely cached.

Saving the two others for later since I didn't quite appreciate that they were hard to get when I bought them. The beer guy at the store near my office said he dove into his stash after I talked to him a bit.

Reaper16 07-24-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6895986)
Drank the Great Divide - 16th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA last night. Fairly unique wood flavor up front but not overdone. Really enjoyed that one and might need to buy another before the local supply is completely cached.

Saving the two others for later since I didn't quite appreciate that they were hard to get when I bought them. The beer guy at the store near my office said he dove into his stash after I talked to him a bit.

Pliny should be consumed ASAP. It is a beer that literally gets worse by the day.

Shag 07-24-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6895979)
Both were of the good but not great variety. The Ska IPA was pretty balanced but a bit sweet on the front end.

The Reverend Quad was a solid quad that I bought instead as of my usual Boulevard Quad and it didn't hold up to that standard.

If you're looking to try a new quad, look for the St. Bernardus Abt 12, which should be relatively easy to find. Fantastic quad, and one of my favorite beers.

And, as Reaper said, drink the Pliny ASAP - it even says so on the bottle. Check out the bottling date on it, too - the fresher, the better. The only Pliny i was ever able to get my hands on was 2 mos old, which is apparently past its prime, but was still absolutely delicious.

irishjayhawk 07-24-2010 10:45 AM

We need like a CP wiki of beers to try.

I gotta make a list and I gotta reinstate my Sunday TV + Beer exercise.

Shag 07-24-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6896174)
We need like a CP wiki of beers to try.

I gotta make a list and I gotta reinstate my Sunday TV + Beer exercise.

That would be a huge list, lol. And why limit it to Sunday? :)

Reaper16 07-24-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6896181)

This

irishjayhawk 07-24-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6896181)

Mostly because without my ritual, I'm not trying anything new, which is severely disappointing. I need to go over to Missouri.

Will probably have an Orval tonight.

Saulbadguy 07-24-2010 11:54 AM

New Belgium Eric's Ale
Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout

Miles 07-24-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6896158)
If you're looking to try a new quad, look for the St. Bernardus Abt 12, which should be relatively easy to find. Fantastic quad, and one of my favorite beers.

And, as Reaper said, drink the Pliny ASAP - it even says so on the bottle. Check out the bottling date on it, too - the fresher, the better. The only Pliny i was ever able to get my hands on was 2 mos old, which is apparently past its prime, but was still absolutely delicious.

Big fan of Abt 12.

Thanks to you and Reaper on the Pliny heads up. The bottle in my fridge is about 40 days old and I might have kept it in there for a couple of weeks if I hadn't known that freshness was key. Probably will drink it this afternoon.

Reaper16 07-24-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6896191)
Mostly because without my ritual, I'm not trying anything new, which is severely disappointing. I need to go over to Missouri.

Will probably have an Orval tonight.

Orval! **** yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 6896259)
New Belgium Eric's Ale
Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout

Creme Brulee is a ****ing experience, ain't it? It is so sweet as to elicit laughter.

Miles 07-24-2010 01:06 PM

Just bought a bottle of Consecration. $11 for a small bottle hurt a bit but sounds like it will be well worth it.

the Talking Can 07-24-2010 02:48 PM

continuing my southern IPA tour from last week: Terrapin's Hopsecutioner
(loved it)

i'm moving a whole hour away to the ATL for Sweetwater's IPA (no link, they have one of the worst web sites ever)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/...363705.jpg?v=0

Miles 07-24-2010 03:52 PM

So that Pliny stuff is pretty ****ing good. Really loved the long hoppy finish that was the opposite of obnoxious.

kysirsoze 07-24-2010 03:55 PM

Had the Shipyard XXXX IPA last night. Tasted more like a barley wine than an IPA which makes sense since it's nearly 10% ABV and uses Caramel malts. The primary hops were cascade which I typically like, but they were light enough that they couldn't compete with the malt. Overall it was just OK IMO. I might have liked it more if I hadn't expected a much hoppier experience.

Anyone tried any others from the "Pugsley Signature Series" Shipyard puts out?

Reaper16 07-24-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6896514)
So that Pliny stuff is pretty ****ing good. Really loved the long hoppy finish that was the opposite of obnoxious.

Now imagine how good a bottle that's two weeks old (or less!) would taste. There's a reason why a certain bottle of Pliny the Elder recieved my highest review score ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 6896517)
Had the Shipyard XXXX IPA last night. Tasted more like a barley wine than an IPA which makes sense since it's nearly 10% ABV and uses Caramel malts. The primary hops were cascade which I typically like, but they were light enough that they couldn't compete with the malt. Overall it was just OK IMO. I might have liked it more if I hadn't expected a much hoppier experience.

Anyone tried any others from the "Pugsley Signature Series" Shipyard puts out?

That sounds exactly what I expected XXXX IPA to taste like. I've had the imperial porter from the Shipyard Pugsley Signature Series; I found it pretty blah.

Miles 07-24-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6896541)
Now imagine how good a bottle that's two weeks old (or less!) would taste. There's a reason why a certain bottle of Pliny the Elder received my highest review score ever.

I am definitely going to keep an eye out for it now. A beer guy at the best liquor store near downtown Denver said the get a decent amount of cases in somewhat regularly but it sells out in a day.

KC native 07-24-2010 05:15 PM

**** you bastards with access to Pliny. I love IPA's and it's nowhere to be found in Texas.

Did have Ommegang's Hennepin at the gingerman in Fort Worth last night. Very tasty.

Also tried Bear Republic's Crazy Ivan IPA which was pretty middling of all the IPA's I've had.

Had a third IPA but don't remember the name. It was sort of like Twisted Thistle which is IPA lite IMO.

irishjayhawk 07-24-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 6896600)
**** you bastards with access to Pliny. I love IPA's and it's nowhere to be found in Texas.

Did have Ommegang's Hennepin at the gingerman in Fort Worth last night. Very tasty.

Also tried Bear Republic's Crazy Ivan IPA which was pretty middling of all the IPA's I've had.

Had a third IPA but don't remember the name. It was sort of like Twisted Thistle which is IPA lite IMO.

I liked Hennepin. Surprised since I didn't like Three Philosophers, but I'm giving the latter another try soon.

irishjayhawk 07-24-2010 05:52 PM

Orval may just be the best on this list. Of the ones I've had, of course.

Man, I forgot Old Engine Oil is on the list. Damn good one too. Tough call.

Toadkiller 07-24-2010 06:31 PM

Elder is good but wait till you have a younger on tap, friggen fantastic.

Reaper16 07-24-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6896635)

Orval is an all-time classic. One of the great treasures of the beverage world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadkiller (Post 6896661)
Elder is good but wait till you have a younger on tap, friggen fantastic.

I hope to one day be in San Diego for PtY. I heard that Russian River is not allowing growler fills of Pliny the Younger next year, seeing as how the beer ran out at RR in like 8 hours.

Shag 07-24-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6896635)

Orval is definitely awesome and unique. I actually visited that monastery last year, which was pretty cool. Unfortunately, they didn't allow tours of the brewery... :(

Miles 07-24-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 6896600)

Has Specs made its way up to DFW yet? No idea if thy can get Pliny but it is a good liquor store.

irishjayhawk 07-24-2010 11:19 PM

Re-tried Three Philosophers. Much preferred it the second time. I'm not sure why.

KC native 07-25-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6896779)
Has Specs made its way up to DFW yet? No idea if thy can get Pliny but it is a good liquor store.

No, we have Central Market and Goody Goody if you want good craft beer. Some other liquor stores have decent selections but Goody Goody is the largest and consistently has Blvd.

Reaper16 07-29-2010 02:10 AM

I feel like a dick talking about De Struise Black Damnation II: Mocha Bomb last week and, now, Black Damnation III: Black Mes because it is nearly impossible for any of you to get them outside of trading. They are not sold in the U.S.; only Belgium gets them. I got them straight from De Struise because I'm lucky enough to have a connection.

Black Damnation III: Black Mes is 100% Black Albert aged on Caol Ila 1995 Distiller's Choice scotch whiskey barrels. It is really, really delicious, as you can tell from my review that I linked to.

XXXshogunXXX 07-29-2010 07:45 AM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6555842_n.jpg

this was like finding gold. For those who've had the younger, the sculpin is almost comparable to it. Its also a very limited release and I luckily found it in albertsons backdoor alcohol fridge

irishjayhawk 08-04-2010 09:10 PM

Had tonight:

Goose Island's Demolition Ale - Very delicious. At first, I wasn't sure I'd like it as I found it to be a spiced Belgian Ale but, if it was, it was very mild. I liked it, overall.

Hoppin' Frog's BORIS The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Seriously tasty. Has the bite of Avery's Mephistopheles, which is to say it has an incredible and addictive bite. Makes me keep grabbing for more sips.

Reaper16 08-05-2010 01:45 AM

Good People Snake Handler IIPA on-tap. Bama beer doin' it big.

Reaper16 08-05-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXXshogunXXX (Post 6904710)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6555842_n.jpg

this was like finding gold. For those who've had the younger, the sculpin is almost comparable to it. Its also a very limited release and I luckily found it in albertsons backdoor alcohol fridge

Fresh Sculpin is one of my very favorite beer experiences.

Miles 08-05-2010 02:05 AM

Russian River and Dogfish Head are obvious but what others should I hit up early at the GABF next month?

Simply Red 08-05-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 6896459)
continuing my southern IPA tour from last week: Terrapin's Hopsecutioner
(loved it)

i'm moving a whole hour away to the ATL for Sweetwater's IPA (no link, they have one of the worst web sites ever)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/...363705.jpg?v=0

**** YES, TTC and SR reunite in the ATL!

Saulbadguy 08-05-2010 07:41 AM

Good god. I don't think i'll ever have a chocolate stout as good as Southern Tier Chocolate Stout.

Oh - had a Delerium Tremens this week as well. :)

the Talking Can 08-06-2010 06:33 PM

i got tired of IPAs

http://www.beeraday.net/wp-content/u...al-porter2.jpg

Quote:

Beer of the week: Highland Oatmeal Porter
By Danner Kline
Picture10
Highland Brewing Company was the first brewery in Asheville, N.C., and sold their first kegs in December 1994. Sixteen years later, North Carolina is now arguably the beer capital of the South, with several world-class breweries. And Asheville is the hub, featuring such notables as Highland, Pisgah and French Broad. It’s also home to one of the most popular beer festivals in the world, Brewgrass, which sells out every year months in advance. The state’s advanced beer culture was a major factor in it reforming its 6 percent ABV limit before Alabama, South Carolina, West Virginia or Mississippi.

Highland Oatmeal Porter is the only example of the style I’ve ever run across. It’s not even an officially recognized style by the Beer Judge Certification Program or the Great American Beer Festival. But oatmeal stout is a recognized style, and porters are very close to stouts in flavor and appearance, so I’m a little surprised that more breweries haven’t run with the idea of putting oats in porters.

Beers brewed with oats do not taste like oatmeal. Rather, the oats increase the body of the beer and give it a smooth, silky mouth feel due to their high content of proteins, lipids and gums. Highland does not advertise what percentage of Oatmeal Porter’s grain bill is made up of oats, but I suspect it’s less than the amount common in oatmeal stouts, since it’s a little lighter beer. I’d be surprised if it was more than 5 percent, but a little can go a long way.

Highland Oatmeal Porter is 5.8 percent ABV and hopped with Chinook, Willamette and Cascade. But the hops sit very much in the background on this one. The beer is a very dark brown, with just a bit of translucence that results in a ruby glow as light passes through. That’s when you can be sure you’re dealing with a porter, not a stout. The flavor is rich with a roasted character and some bittersweet, dark chocolate. There’s a little burnt-sugar caramel character underneath. It’s grounded with a solid bitterness and finishes dry with notes of dark chocolate. And this is all carried by that oatmeal smoothness...
http://bhamweekly.com/birmingham/art...al-porter.html