ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

Deberg_1990 12-13-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9203937)
It was E.T. crossed with Cloverfield, a crappy score and an unoriginal alien.

Since Cloverfield was garbage...

I think i enjoyed the kids and their relationships more than the actual alien. so yes, the alien was a bit of a letdown.

Deberg_1990 12-13-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9203941)
I thought it was cold, predictable and boring as ****.

HUGE disappointment.

Wow, didnt get that at all? Seymore-Hoffman made a great villian.

scorpio 12-13-2012 11:20 AM

Zachary Quinto slips up and says "Khan" at 1:01

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rN6-Fx6lrVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9204356)
I think i enjoyed the kids and their relationships more than the actual alien. so yes, the alien was a bit of a letdown.

I also loved Super 8 and MI:3 (and Cloverfield, for that matter). But I feel like this is the intrinsic difference of opinion when it comes down to people who like JJ and people who don't (or people who like Lost and people who don't).

It's not about the alien.

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 9204742)
Zachary Quinto slips up and says "Khan" at 1:01

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rN6-Fx6lrVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But he also says it when he means Nero. So does it mean anything?

DaneMcCloud 12-13-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9204356)

The problem is that we've seen it before in E.T. except that in Super 8, it was boring and rehashed. There was nothing really original about the film and it was easy to guess what would happen next.

If you'd seen E.T., you've seen the best parts of Super 8 (which were still weak in comparison). If you've seen Independence Day, you've seen the alien.

The best part of the film, IMO, was the zombie sequence at the very end.

The rest was just blah.

DaneMcCloud 12-13-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9204782)
I also loved Super 8 and MI:3 (and Cloverfield, for that matter). But I feel like this is the intrinsic difference of opinion when it comes down to people who like JJ and people who don't (or people who like Lost and people who don't).

If you "loved" those movies (Cloverfield was complete shit. If it not for the single motion, jittery camera nonsense, no one would know the film), then we have absolutely no common ground in which to discuss these films.

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9204866)
If you "loved" those movies, then we have absolutely no common ground in which to discuss these films.

You're just now realizing this?

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9204860)
The problem is that we've seen it before in E.T. except that in Super 8, it was boring and rehashed. There was nothing really original about the film and it was easy to guess what would happen next.

The film wasn't meant to be original. It was meant to be derivative. It was a celebration of nostalgia, an homage to all those movies that you've mentioned (and others, like Goonies) that came before. It was about being a kid again, and turning off the analytical brain and getting swept up, like a kid, in the adventure.

It captured those feelings, the spirit and essence of imagination and childhood adventure so perfectly.

DaneMcCloud 12-13-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9204885)
The film wasn't meant to be original.

LMAO

Yes, we all know it was a money grab.

Just one more reason to hate JJ Abrams and his crew.

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 01:13 PM

I missed you Dane.

keg in kc 12-13-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9204782)

I actually like JJ, because his production company brings interesting, off-the-wall genre things to TV that nobody else does. Maybe they aren't perfect, but it's not medical dramedy number 27 or legal drama 746 or police procedural 959 or reality show number 8427421.

As far as Super-8 goes, I enjoyed the movie up until about the last half hour. It just fell apart. It was eerily reminiscent of a Stephen King novel. Great set up, and I thought interesting characters, but man-oh-man they were so incredibly far off from sticking that landing.

Deberg_1990 12-13-2012 05:45 PM

Man, a lot of Abrams backlash in this thread....

I guess you guys are still pissed he's never made a "Felicity" movie for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

007 12-13-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9205905)

Posted via Mobile Device

what are you talking about. The majority of posters here are psyched for this movie. Only a very few are hating on Abrams. Hell I agree with them on some things too but as far as Star Trek goes, I can't friggin wait.

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9205598)
I actually like JJ, because his production company brings interesting, off-the-wall genre things to TV that nobody else does. Maybe they aren't perfect, but it's not medical dramedy number 27 or legal drama 746 or police procedural 959 or reality show number 8427421.

Completely agree. And he's probably missed more than few times. I haven't seen everything he's produced. But in general, you're right. Hit the nail on the head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9205598)
As far as Super-8 goes, I enjoyed the movie up until about the last half hour. It just fell apart. It was eerily reminiscent of a Stephen King novel. Great set up, and I thought interesting characters, but man-oh-man they were so incredibly far off from sticking that landing.

I won't argue that. Honestly, I don't know if I even remember much of the ending beyond what happens after we see the alien.

Either way, the rest of the movie was charming and fun and endearing enough to me that I overlooked a lot of it. It just took me back, reminded me so much of the movies of my childhood.

I had a blast.

BigRedChief 12-13-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9205927)
what are you talking about. The majority of posters here are psyched for this movie. Only a very few are hating on Abrams. Hell I agree with them on some things too but as far as Star Trek goes, I can't friggin wait.

The last one was one of the best evah in the Star Trek franchise. Yeah, looking forward to this one.

keg in kc 12-13-2012 07:05 PM

In case there's any confusion over the bad robot discussion, I loved the 2009 Star Trek movie (actually own it on DVD, it's in its own little plastic enterprise case!) and think everything that I've seen of the sequel looks great.

Frazod 12-13-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9206061)
In case there's any confusion over the bad robot discussion, I loved the 2009 Star Trek movie (actually own it on DVD, it's in its own little plastic enterprise case!) and think everything that I've seen of the sequel looks great.

I've got that one, too.

Frazod 12-13-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9205905)

Posted via Mobile Device

Problems with Abrams

1. Lost
2. Dicking around and taking forever to make a sequel.

That's pretty much it.

JD10367 12-13-2012 07:41 PM

Judging from the 10-minute IMAX "prologue" I saw three times today, the flavor of "Star Trek Into Darkness" seems to be the same as "Star Trek". Same music, same sweeping "reveal" of the ship, same hot Uhura, same snappy banter between Kirk and Spock and Kirk and Bones, same humor and line delivery from Scotty, same energetic pace (the prologue was very reminiscent of the segment where the Enterprise appears at Vulcan and Kirk, Sulu, and Redshirt bail from the shuttle to go hand-to-hand on the dangly energy-blaster-thingy). Seems like Abrams and the bigwigs said, "It worked once, let's not **** it up too much." Which is fine by me.

Oh, did I mention how bad I want Zoe Saldana? :hump:

keg in kc 12-13-2012 09:04 PM

I had the hugest crazy psycho cyber crush on Zoe Saldana after Star Trek and Avatar.

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9206345)
I had the hugest crazy psycho cyber crush on Zoe Saldana after Star Trek and Avatar.

God, me too. She's outstanding.

Deberg_1990 12-13-2012 09:29 PM

On second thought....where is my Felicity movie Abrams?? There can never be too much Keri Russel.

Gravedigger 12-13-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9206345)

Don't forget about The Losers too, riding topless on Jeffrey Dean Morgan... lucky asshole :)

007 12-14-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9206116)
I've got that one, too.

Me three.

whoman69 12-14-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9206764)
Don't forget about The Losers too, riding topless on Jeffrey Dean Morgan... lucky asshole :)

Lucky him, but she was covered up on screen and we couldn't see anything.

Hammock Parties 12-15-2012 12:10 PM

9 minutes were spectacular.

Felt pretty fresh and original even though it was just a prologue obviously.

Real Indiana Jones vibes. LMAO

keg in kc 12-17-2012 11:10 AM

I didn't get to see the 9 minutes yet, or the new trailer. Which is pretty freaking badass.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r5gdbUC9mWU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 12-17-2012 11:19 AM

Pretty cool......it looks like they are giving Pine the classic Shatner hairstyle of the early 60s as well.

Red Brooklyn 12-17-2012 11:52 AM

This thing is gonna be so ****ing good.

Buehler445 12-17-2012 01:12 PM

Can. Not. Wait.

KCFalcon59 12-17-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9206903)
Me three.

I remember Frazod talking about it after he got one. I don't remember if I went to Target and got one and told you they had a couple left or if it was the other way around and you told me. Either way Four!

:thumb:

007 12-18-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 9220070)
I remember Frazod talking about it after he got one. I don't remember if I went to Target and got one and told you they had a couple left or if it was the other way around and you told me. Either way Four!

:thumb:

I can't remember either. heh

Mine is still displayed prominently on my entertainment center.

Deberg_1990 12-18-2012 07:29 AM

A good theory i read out there yesterday was that this might be a "re-imagining" of the Space Seed episode. In this timeline, instead of the crew getting Khan out of suspended animation, its another crew member (Cumberbatch) they let out first. Khan would then show up later in the movie.

007 12-18-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9220356)
A good theory i read out there yesterday was that this might be a "re-imagining" of the Space Seed episode. In this timeline, instead of the crew getting Khan out of suspended animation, its another crew member (Cumberbatch) they let out first. Khan would then show up later in the movie.

Definitely would need some plot hole filler for that one to start the movie. How long has Kirk been the captain now?

keg in kc 12-18-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9220356)

There is a shot in the trailer of something that looks like pods.

Deberg_1990 12-18-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9220375)
How long has Kirk been the captain now?

Im curious about that myself. and when does their "5 year mission" mission start? This movie?

whoman69 12-18-2012 02:17 PM

The idea behind the reboot was that all ideas were used up. If this is Khan or Gary Mitchell and they're just redoing the same stories, what's the point?

keg in kc 12-18-2012 02:45 PM

I thought the idea behind the reboot was to allow them to use a new cast to fill old roles.

DaneMcCloud 12-18-2012 02:48 PM

I thought the idea behind the reboot was for Paramount to earn millions of dollars from their I.P.

Red Brooklyn 12-19-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9221590)
The idea behind the reboot was that all ideas were used up. If this is Khan or Gary Mitchell and they're just redoing the same stories, what's the point?

I see what you're saying and I mostly agree.

But I think they are ways to use the old ideas in new ways. Much like they did in the first one. I'm fine with using a lot of material from the initial timeline, just in a new way.

whoman69 12-19-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9223793)
I see what you're saying and I mostly agree.

But I think they are ways to use the old ideas in new ways. Much like they did in the first one. I'm fine with using a lot of material from the initial timeline, just in a new way.

Its an easy way to steal material.

Red Brooklyn 12-19-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9224248)

Sure.

But I don't really see it as stealing.

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9224248)

It's not "stealing" because Paramount owns the I.P.

Although if this villain is Khan or Gary Mitchell, I'll consider it lazy writing.

whoman69 12-19-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9224332)
It's not "stealing" because Paramount owns the I.P.

Although if this villain is Khan or Gary Mitchell, I'll consider it lazy writing.

Its not technically stealing, but I bet the writers of the original episodes wouldn't agree.

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9225152)
Its not technically stealing, but I bet the writers of the original episodes wouldn't agree.

It's called Work For Hire, so the writers knew the exact ramifications once they signed to write an episode.

And it doesn't matter if they agree or not, Paramount owns the I.P.

whoman69 12-20-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9225995)
It's called Work For Hire, so the writers knew the exact ramifications once they signed to write an episode.

And it doesn't matter if they agree or not, Paramount owns the I.P.

Doesn't mean they can't come up with their own ideas. I've already seen Gary Mitchell and Khan. They don't need to be rewritten.

Red Brooklyn 12-20-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9227588)
Doesn't mean they can't come up with their own ideas. I've already seen Gary Mitchell and Khan. They don't need to be rewritten.

You've already seen all these characters. None of it needs to be rewritten.

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

You're talking in circles

Deberg_1990 12-20-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

IN this case, its probably Paramount wanting an iconic "name" villain to help sell the movie. Which is funny, since they haven’t said who the villain is yet officially.

As for the stealing part, this happens all the time doesn’t it? New writers expanding on others characters or material. Also, the original writers who created the characters are dead im guessing....

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9227606)
IN this case, its probably Paramount wanting an iconic "name" villain to help sell the movie. Which is funny, since they haven’t said who the villain is yet officially.

As for the stealing part, this happens all the time doesn’t it? New writers expanding on others characters or material. Also, the original writers who created the characters are dead im guessing....

:facepalm:

If you're hired to write an episode of television or a movie script, the production company/network owns the script. Period, end of story.

The studio can then exploit it (or not) without any further payment to the writer. If the script or film happens to air on television, the writer will receive residuals.

It is not "stealing" if a production company or studio, that owns the rights to a particular production, decides to reboot as a TV series or feature film.

whoman69 12-20-2012 04:41 PM

In this case the studio is taking a story that was already written and instead saying it happened another way. Its just lazy and adds nothing.

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9227939)
In this case the studio is taking a story that was already written and instead saying it happened another way. Its just lazy and adds nothing.

So, you've read the script?

Red Brooklyn 12-24-2012 11:29 AM

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98350

Following the reveal earlier this month that Benedict Cumberbatch's Star Trek Into Darkness villain goes by the mysterious name of "John Harrison," GyaO! (via TrekMovie) caught up with director J.J. Abrams and Cumberbatch himself.

"When J.J. described the role to me… he described someone who was, in movie terms, a mixture of Hannibal Lecter, Jack in 'The Shining,' and the Joker in 'Batman,'" Cumberbatch said. "...He's someone who has enormous physical strength. He's someone who is incredibly dangerous, both as a physical entity and through the use of various technologies and weapons and who performs acts of what I would describe as terrorism. He's also a psychological master. He manipulates the minds of those around him to do his bidding in a very, very subtle way."

"His name is John Harrison and he is sort of an... average guy who works in an organization called Starfleet," Abrams added, "and he turns against the group because he has got this backstory and this kind of amazing secret agenda. After two very violent attacks, one in London and one in the US, our characters have to go after this guy and apprehend him. And it is a far more complicated and difficult thing then they ever anticipated. 'Into Darkness' is very much about how intense it gets and really what they are up against."

okcchief 12-24-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

You've already seen Spock, Kirk etc too. Why bother watching it if it annoys you so much?

whoman69 12-25-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9239487)
You've already seen Spock, Kirk etc too. Why bother watching it if it annoys you so much?

I think many Star Trek fans are wondering the same thing. You're taking what was a character driven moralistic series of stories and rewriting them to an action story format. Its not like this was Battlestar Galactica which really had no history or no big fanbase that only grew bigger with time. They actually did the opposite with BSG. They took campy adventure stories and rewrote them with some backbone. In Star Trek they have gutted the original universe and rebooted it. There will be no more stories unless they follow the new format.

Hammock Parties 12-25-2012 03:16 PM

I'm glad Abrams is breaking his own ground and not rehashing Khan or Mitchell or anyone else.

Bravo.

Deberg_1990 12-25-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9240541)
I'm glad Abrams is breaking his own ground and not rehashing Khan or Mitchell or anyone else.

Bravo.

True.....but but I'm guessing there's a twist in here somewhere. Its Abrams.

Fire Me Boy! 12-25-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9240808)
True.....but but I'm guessing there's a lens flare in there somewhere. Its Abrams.

FYP

Deberg_1990 12-25-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9240823)
FYP

ROFL

He gets a lot of crap for that, but I like it.

Red Brooklyn 12-26-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9240849)
ROFL

He gets a lot of crap for that, but I like it.

Me too. Bold stylistic choice that helped establish an aesthetic and a tone for the film.

DaneMcCloud 12-26-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9241502)
Me too. Bold stylistic choice that helped establish an aesthetic and a tone for the film.

Bold?

LMAO

No, it's not "bold".

Fire Me Boy! 12-26-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9241502)

So he's made the same bold stylistic choice in everything he's ever done? How bold.

Red Brooklyn 12-26-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9241613)
Bold?

LMAO

No, it's not "bold".

hahaha!

You're right.

Red Brooklyn 12-26-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9241686)
So he's made the same bold stylistic choice in everything he's ever done? How bold.

Must have missed it in everything else he's done.

Fire Me Boy! 12-26-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9241693)

He's well known for those lens flares.

Red Brooklyn 12-26-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9241766)
He's well known for those lens flares.

Is he? Weird. I really don't recall him using them. And there's feature that talks a lot about the choice of the lens flares and how they did them for Star Trek.

Deberg_1990 12-26-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9241693)

Well, he had only made MI3 prior to ST and I don't remember them much in that?

He did use them a lot in Super 8.

JD10367 12-26-2012 05:53 PM

I don't mind if he turns out to be Khan. We don't really know a lot about Khan.

Red Brooklyn 12-26-2012 06:13 PM

Yeah, I don't give a good tin shit who the guy is playing. I just want a good movie. And so far, it looks to be a pretty good ****ing movie. Trailers can be deceiving, but I'm super optimistic.

keg in kc 12-28-2012 09:54 PM

Doubt this will last long...

<iframe src="http://www.movieweb.com/v/VIKxUEwUcSbmOQ/embed_video" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 12-28-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9247204)
Doubt this will last long...

Pretty awesome. Could have done without the chick giggling at every little thing though.

Buns 01-07-2013 12:29 PM

Star Trek Fan Granted Dying Wish By J.J. Abrams Passes Away

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-...way-34947.html

It was a heartbreaking story with a positive twist that we could all feel good about. Dan Craft, a major Star Trek fan and an organizer of the New York Asian Film Festival, was dying of cancer. He knew he wouldn't live long enough to see the upcoming Star Trek Into Darkness, so his wife and friends took to the Internet with a special request: help them get in touch with J.J. Abrams and ask for some kind of early look at the movie.

Not only did Abrams comply, but he showed Craft and his wife an unfinished cut of the entire film. Just days later, Craft passed away. The New York Asian Film Festival announced his passing on their Facebook page, with this sad but poignant message:

Last night around 10:15pm, Dan Craft, who has been a member of Subway Cinema since 2004, passed away. His wife and brother were with him when he went, and he wasn't in any pain. He'd been a bit loopy for a few days as his liver failed and toxins built up in his blood, and on Thursday his wife asked him if he needed to go to the bathroom. "I'm going..." he proclaimed, "Into the future."

See you there, Dan.

Dan Craft: 1971 - 2013

We miss you.

Craft became somewhat famous online with a story that had a set ending: he knew and we knew that his time was limited, and the happy ending wasn't that he would be miraculously cured, but that he would get to see one last thing he loved before he passed. Craft's wish came true, and yet, it's hard not to be sad that the world has lost as passionate and determined a cinephile as he was. Congratulations to Craft's family and friends for making his Star Trek viewing possible, and condolences to all who knew him on their loss.

Chazno 01-07-2013 12:41 PM

Yeah the initial request for this started on Reddit. Apparently his wife and friend that made the request had gotten him out to see the Hobbit which was supposed to have the extended trailer, but it turned out not to. The friend put the request out on reddit for some way for him to see the trailer or movie. Abrams called Dan's wife the next day. Awesome story.

http://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/com...star_trek_fan/

Bowser 01-07-2013 12:50 PM

That's great. Major props to Abrams for doing that.

Frazod 01-07-2013 06:53 PM

This has nothing to do with the new movie, but is Star Trek related. Holy ****, did I miss out on something cool. Last week, the chairman of my firm sent out an e-mail saying he had eight tickets to an event at the Lyric Opera Saturday night, free to whoever wanted them. When I saw "Lyric Opera" I immediately tuned it out. I may enjoy going to plays, but have no desire to sit through some friggin opera.

But this wasn't an opera. It was a Second City comedy event, hosted by Patrick Stewart.

Patrick Stewart. In person.

And I could have had fourth row center seats about 15 feet from the stage. FREE.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF****

:cuss:

RINGLEADER 01-07-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9293480)
This has nothing to do with the new movie, but is Star Trek related. Holy ****, did I miss out on something cool. Last week, the chairman of my firm sent out an e-mail saying he had eight tickets to an event at the Lyric Opera Saturday night, free to whoever wanted them. When I saw "Lyric Opera" I immediately tuned it out. I may enjoy going to plays, but have no desire to sit through some friggin opera.

But this wasn't an opera. It was a Second City comedy event, hosted by Patrick Stewart.

And I could have had fourth row center seats about 15 feet from the stage. FREE.

Your only hope now is a temporal causality loop forming...

Frazod 01-07-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 9293578)
Your only hope now is a temporal causality loop forming...

Where's Kelsey Grammar when you need him? :banghead:

007 01-08-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9293480)

D D D D D D D D DUMBASS

Deberg_1990 01-24-2013 12:27 PM

New theory about Cumberbatch villian.

Hes playing a character named Robert April that’s from an episode of Star Trek the animated series. I don’t even remember him because I haven’t watched those in forever. I guess they are available on Netflix.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/...his-real-name/

Robert April first appeared in an episode of the animated Trek series called The Counter-Clock Incident. I’m told that animated Trek isn’t canon, but nonetheless, April’s name then popped up in various other places that were.

In tie-in novels, he was even revealed to be British – like Cumberbatch, and as far as we can tell, his character in the film.

One big clue is the weapon we see Cumberbatch using in the trailer. It’s a bloody big gun – and while it might not be a smoking one, it certainly adds some firepower to the evidence.

During his visit to the Bad Robot offices, Hit Fix‘s Drew McWeeny saw this same gun in a big book of production art. It was labelled April’s Gatling Gun. Not because they had a gun for every month of the year, but because it belonged to April.

But if Benedict Cumberbatch really is playing Robert April, why doesn’t the Robert April in the comic look like Benedict Cumberbatch?

First of all, bear in mind that David Messina’s art is interpretive, not photo realistic. His Kirk doesn’t look exactly like Chris Pine, either.

And then, if we go back to April’s original appearance in the animated show, there’s more. It’s complicated, but in essence, the story features characters ageing backwards. Could that mechanic be part of his story here too? Is he going to get younger in time for the movie?

If so, and if he has somehow gotten a degree of control over this de-ageing, then I can see why he’s of use to the parents of the young dying girl in the Into Darkness opening scenes. If she’s got something degenerative, he can likely reverse it.

It’s also worth noting that April was a Starfleet Commander and the first captain of the Enterprise. This matches both the costume and behaviour of Cumberbatch in the trailer.

April lost the seat of the Enterprise to Captain Pike, so I can see that they might have some powerful scenes together. Also, the rumours about Pike being liberated from his wheelchair might play into their relationship, with April using his de-ageing technique, whatever it is, to get Pike back on his feet.

Also see the promo image at the head of the post, putting Cumberbatch and Pine opposite each other, like reflections of one another, dark and light. The captain that came before Pike, the one that came after…

Now, we don’t know any of this for sure – only that the first Into Darkness comic ends on a humdinger of a tease. I do have a little suspicion that we’re being played and whatever we learn in the next issue will drive a truck right through the middle of this theory, but for now… for now it feels good.