ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Planet members and their kids serving in Iraq and Afghanistan need our support. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217140)

mlyonsd 02-01-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8342058)

Awesome BRC. Are you still doing this? Do you need more cash? And I don't mean for your Lincoln payments.

BigRedChief 02-01-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8342078)
Awesome BRC. Are you still doing this? Do you need more cash? And I don't mean for your Lincoln payments.

yeah I've used up all the money in our account with the last shipments. Had to chip in $30 myself plus all the shipping costs.

I was going to ask for more money to refund the packages and see if people are still interested in contributing. As you can see it is greatly appreciated by the troops.

mlyonsd 02-01-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8342135)
yeah I've used up all the money in our account with the last shipments. Had to chip in $30 myself plus all the shipping costs.

I was going to ask for more money to refund the packages and see if people are still interested in contributing. As you can see it is greatly appreciated by the troops.

PM me your info again. I think I previously sent you a small amount? Been a while, I went thru my PM's and can't find your contact info.

I've been contributing to a few local care packages although this Christmas none of them were abroad.

My bad. Rep for doing this.

mlyonsd 02-01-2012 09:09 PM

Come on guys, help send the troops a treat. Easter is coming up and they are still over there.

BigRedChief 02-02-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8342197)
PM me your info again. I think I previously sent you a small amount? Been a while, I went thru my PM's and can't find your contact info.

I've been contributing to a few local care packages although this Christmas none of them were abroad.

My bad. Rep for doing this.

thanks for the donation! :clap:

BigRedChief 02-02-2012 09:25 PM

Planet, Nice job with the donations. Keep em coming.

BigRedChief 02-03-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8342317)
Come on guys, help send the troops a treat. Easter is coming up and they are still over there.

THIS!

BigRedChief 02-04-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCoffey (Post 8334349)
I just heard this part was a topic in discussion, something about it being the first of it's kind since WWII. I don't know if that is correct or not. Cool either way, and if I was off work this weekend I would have loved to go.

http://iava.org/blog/pats-and-giants...-don%E2%80%99t

If the Giants or Pats get a parade, shouldn't Iraq vets? Posted by Paul Rieckhoff on February 3

The ticker-tape parade is a slice of Americana as old as the Statue of Liberty. It’s an honor reserved for a select few (sort of), from astronauts returning from space to military heroes to beloved politicians like Teddy Roosevelt. It’s also happened for baseball player Sammy Sosa, and even the President of Indonesia. This weekend, either the New England Patriots or New York Giants will earn the title “champion” at the Super Bowl, and be treated to a victory parade in Boston or New York City as a result.

Getting Super Bowl-champ football players a parade in their hometowns is never an issue. But Iraq War veterans? They deserve a little praise, too. They answered our country’s call, and in the least, they survived. But for some reason, they’re running into all kinds of resistance. Last week, New York City’s Mayor Bloomberg said that a parade “would be premature while so many troops are still in harm’s way around the world.”

After eight years of war there that saw over 4,400 American troops killed and over 32,000 wounded-in-action physically, the Iraq War finally ended on December 31, 2011. Yet, only St. Louis has held a “Welcome Home Our Heroes”parade to date--and solely because two guys launched a Facebook page and motivated a grassroots group of citizens. In less than a week it morphed into an incredibly inspiring event. And it definitely lit a spark. Ever since then, we’ve been inundated with notes and emails from folks from San Francisco to Portland, Maine who want to do the same thing for the Iraq veterans in their communities.

That’s why today IAVA is calling on the President, New York Mayor Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Menino, and Mayors and government officials nationwide to coordinate a National Day of Action to not only welcome home Iraq veterans but to channel critical jobs, education and transition resources to them and their families. It’s a chance for all of us to work together—just like we do on Veterans Day. Let’s tap into the tremendous Sea of Goodwill that exists in the hearts of millions of Americans. Let’s use some of our military experience to “coordinate fires.” And instead of cities nationwide promoting events at different times over the next few years, let’s all work together to coordinate a single, historic, transformative day to unite communities nationwide. If you stand with us, and want to see a welcome home parade in your area, stand with our veterans and sign our petition here.

For the Mayors of New York and Boston: are you really okay with your football teams getting ticker tape parades and not your new veterans? I am as big a fan as they come, but why do the Giants get a parade in the Canyon of Heroes and not our nation’s military? If that does happen, what does that say about us as a society and our priorities?

Yes, Iraq and Afghanistan are two different wars. Americans know the Afghanistan front still rages on, with the end of combat operations not expected until 2013. But that doesn’t mean our country can’t start welcoming home those who have already returned and pave the way for those still to come. It will also show our troops in Afghanistan now that they won’t be forgotten when that war ends too. And the expense should not be an issue. Just like in St Louis, sponsors should step up, and local people can chip in to donate goods, time and money.

If we can afford two wars, we can afford two welcome home parades.

But this effort is about more than just a parade. It is what parades represent – a celebration, a commemoration, and an expression of gratitude by a community that has finally learned to separate the war from warriors. It is about creating a day to remember those we’ve lost, respect those who have served, and respond to their needs as returning veterans. After a decade at war, with the burden of so many carried by so few, who deserves a parade more than the brave men and women who have deployed two, three, four times since 9/11?

The New Greatest Generation has proven time and time again that they are dedicated to service. Now, it’s on us to return the favor.

Even if you don’t have skin in this Super Bowl game, sign IAVA’s petition to the President and Mayors nationwide before kickoff this Sunday 6:30pm EST calling for a national day to honor and celebrate the service of some real heroes – the over 1 million veterans who have served our country in Iraq.

No matter who you root for this Super Bowl Sunday, our veterans are one team every American can and must get behind.

Sign the petition here:
http://iava.org/welcome-home-our-heroes-show-support

Sent from my iPhone

Jethopper 02-04-2012 01:08 AM

Im in salerno, afghanistan right now with the 82nd airborne! How cool am I?!?!

BigRedChief 02-04-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8347182)
http://iava.org/blog/pats-and-giants...-don%E2%80%99t

If the Giants or Pats get a parade, shouldn't Iraq vets? Posted by Paul Rieckhoff on February 3

The ticker-tape parade is a slice of Americana as old as the Statue of Liberty. It’s an honor reserved for a select few (sort of), from astronauts returning from space to military heroes to beloved politicians like Teddy Roosevelt. It’s also happened for baseball player Sammy Sosa, and even the President of Indonesia. This weekend, either the New England Patriots or New York Giants will earn the title “champion” at the Super Bowl, and be treated to a victory parade in Boston or New York City as a result.

Getting Super Bowl-champ football players a parade in their hometowns is never an issue. But Iraq War veterans? They deserve a little praise, too. They answered our country’s call, and in the least, they survived. But for some reason, they’re running into all kinds of resistance. Last week, New York City’s Mayor Bloomberg said that a parade “would be premature while so many troops are still in harm’s way around the world.”

After eight years of war there that saw over 4,400 American troops killed and over 32,000 wounded-in-action physically, the Iraq War finally ended on December 31, 2011. Yet, only St. Louis has held a “Welcome Home Our Heroes”parade to date--and solely because two guys launched a Facebook page and motivated a grassroots group of citizens. In less than a week it morphed into an incredibly inspiring event. And it definitely lit a spark. Ever since then, we’ve been inundated with notes and emails from folks from San Francisco to Portland, Maine who want to do the same thing for the Iraq veterans in their communities.

That’s why today IAVA is calling on the President, New York Mayor Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Menino, and Mayors and government officials nationwide to coordinate a National Day of Action to not only welcome home Iraq veterans but to channel critical jobs, education and transition resources to them and their families. It’s a chance for all of us to work together—just like we do on Veterans Day. Let’s tap into the tremendous Sea of Goodwill that exists in the hearts of millions of Americans. Let’s use some of our military experience to “coordinate fires.” And instead of cities nationwide promoting events at different times over the next few years, let’s all work together to coordinate a single, historic, transformative day to unite communities nationwide. If you stand with us, and want to see a welcome home parade in your area, stand with our veterans and sign our petition here.

For the Mayors of New York and Boston: are you really okay with your football teams getting ticker tape parades and not your new veterans? I am as big a fan as they come, but why do the Giants get a parade in the Canyon of Heroes and not our nation’s military? If that does happen, what does that say about us as a society and our priorities?

Yes, Iraq and Afghanistan are two different wars. Americans know the Afghanistan front still rages on, with the end of combat operations not expected until 2013. But that doesn’t mean our country can’t start welcoming home those who have already returned and pave the way for those still to come. It will also show our troops in Afghanistan now that they won’t be forgotten when that war ends too. And the expense should not be an issue. Just like in St Louis, sponsors should step up, and local people can chip in to donate goods, time and money.

If we can afford two wars, we can afford two welcome home parades.

But this effort is about more than just a parade. It is what parades represent – a celebration, a commemoration, and an expression of gratitude by a community that has finally learned to separate the war from warriors. It is about creating a day to remember those we’ve lost, respect those who have served, and respond to their needs as returning veterans. After a decade at war, with the burden of so many carried by so few, who deserves a parade more than the brave men and women who have deployed two, three, four times since 9/11?

The New Greatest Generation has proven time and time again that they are dedicated to service. Now, it’s on us to return the favor.

Even if you don’t have skin in this Super Bowl game, sign IAVA’s petition to the President and Mayors nationwide before kickoff this Sunday 6:30pm EST calling for a national day to honor and celebrate the service of some real heroes – the over 1 million veterans who have served our country in Iraq.

No matter who you root for this Super Bowl Sunday, our veterans are one team every American can and must get behind.

Sign the petition here:
http://iava.org/welcome-home-our-heroes-show-support

Sent from my iPhone

More citizens not waiting for their public entities to organize a parade for the vets. Grassroots parades forming all over th USA based on the St. Louis model.
http://on.msnbc.com/yaKJxI

BigRedChief 03-20-2012 04:50 PM

Two new packages on the way to the troops in Afghanistan. Just a little package of instant snow in this one.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6238/7...2d6338e7_z.jpg

Kyle DeLexus 03-20-2012 05:38 PM

That's awesome. I've been wanting to contribute to this for a while now, but I've been running on a pretty tight budget. ASAP, I'm going to send what I can your way to help out.

BigRedChief 03-20-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 8477011)
That's awesome. I've been wanting to contribute to this for a while now, but I've been running on a pretty tight budget. ASAP, I'm going to send what I can your way to help out.

No problem. The charity window is open 24/7/365. :rolleyes:

BigRedChief 03-21-2012 06:35 PM

bump in case the contributors missed the new packages going out.

BigRedChief 03-31-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanziShouldStart (Post 8334349)
I just heard this part was a topic in discussion, something about it being the first of it's kind since WWII. I don't know if that is correct or not. Cool either way, and if I was off work this weekend I would have loved to go.

Another grass roots parade honoring the Iraq/Afghanstan vets took place today in Tucson, Arizona. :clap:

http://www.thankyousazvets.org/

With your help we hope to have a great show of patriotism and love of our country by having a complete sea of flags waving at our Veterans during the parade. Please bring your flags and proudly recognize these brave men and women.

Also, this parade will be a wonderful opportunity to extend your own personal message to these warriors. By creating a colorful poster, sign, banner, etc. with what you want to tell the Veterans is something you and they will never forget.

VETERANS
The parade is for you, courtesy of the Tucson Community and beyond. It is this city’s opportunity to finally show their appreciation for your service and respect for you. We need to have a massive showing of all Veterans in order to make this parade successful. Also, recognizing the stress and courage shown by the loved ones you left behind, we are inviting your immediate family to proudly march with you in the parade. We cannot proceed with your participation until you send in your completed

Ugly Duck 03-31-2012 04:39 PM

Home is the sailor
Home from the sea
And home is the hunter
Home from the hill

My son-in-law is back from the Stan. Hats off to all who serve. And hear this Ode to Bin Laden..... "Asshole in the Sand" starts at minute 2:00

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0I2urboaloE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0I2urboaloE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Easy 6 03-31-2012 04:59 PM

Much continuing gratitude & many kudos to all of our active duty servicemen/women.

Cant wait until 2013 when we can finally just let those damned neandrathals rape & shoot themselves into oblivion... our guys, gals & money are simply too good to waste on dead-end people like that.

patteeu 03-31-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 8507375)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...87650484_n.jpg

Thats SHTSPRAYER in the middle in Afghanistan. ****ing crazy mofo joined the army in his 40's.

Are you serious? Wow, pretty incredible. He needs to get a ChiefsPlanet care package.

2112 03-31-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8507510)
Are you serious? Wow, pretty incredible. He needs to get a ChiefsPlanet care package.

Yes, Im serious. thats from his facebook page. I couldnt believe it myself. now I know why he hasnt been around.

Easy 6 03-31-2012 06:39 PM

That is outstanding, very best regards to madcrapper.

BigRedChief 04-06-2012 08:43 PM

Houston is having a parade to honor the Iraq war veterans tommorrow. Organized by the city. First one in America.

Who: US Military Veterans who served in Iraq or operations supporting OIF, current service members, and family members.
Where: Texas and San Jacinto (Downtown Houston)
When: April 7th @ 3:00 pm
The Lone Star Veterans Association will be participating in the Houston parade to honor the men and women who served in Iraq. Members of the LSVA and those who wish to join are invited to meet us at 3:30 at the corner of Texas and San Jacinto. Click here to view the parade route.

Mayor Parker and Houston Astros Owner and Chairman Jim Crane today invited all Houstonians to come downtown Saturday, April 7, 2012 for a welcome home parade honoring returning Iraq veterans. The parade, sponsored by the City of Houston in partnership with the Astros 2012 opening weekend festivities, will step off from the corner of Texas and San Jacinto at 4 p.m. and then proceed east on Texas to Crawford and then north (left) on Crawford to Congress, ending at Minute Maid Park.

“I want to thank Jim Crane and the Astros for joining with the city in planning this event,” said Mayor Parker.

“It is an opportunity to support and thank the men and women who have sacrificed their lives and time away from loved ones to preserve our freedom. We owe them a debt of gratitude and recognition that their service is appreciated. Please come show your support.”

“America and our military have always had a special place in the heart of baseball fans throughout the country and especially here in Houston,” said Crane said, “It's only fitting that we will celebrate these brave men and women with a parade that culminates with a ceremony at Minute Maid Park. We are honored to be asked by Mayor Parker and the City to be a part of this special event.”

At the end of the parade, the troops will proceed inside Minute Maid Park for a special on-field ceremony just prior to the Astros 6:05 PM game.
The Astros will provide free tickets to the uniformed parade participants and their immediate families.

View the Chronicle story about the parade.
View the press release from the Office of the Mayor.

http://lonestarveterans.org/

BigRedChief 04-07-2012 08:07 PM

Some more fake snow ordered for the troops.

<TABLE id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259620 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259619><TR id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259618><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259617 align=center>Products ordered</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259625 border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%"><TBODY id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259624><TR id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259623><TH id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259710 bgColor=#cccccc width=60>SKU</TH><TH id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259622 bgColor=#cccccc>Product</TH><TH id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259627 bgColor=#cccccc width=100 noWrap align=center>Item price</TH><TH id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259643 bgColor=#cccccc width=60>Quantity</TH><TH bgColor=#cccccc width=60>Total
http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/down...d=YahooMailNeo</TH></TR><TR id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259641><TD align=center>SISTVOFF1</TD><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259706>Fake Snow 3gal Bag of Snow in Seconds</TD><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259647 noWrap align=right>$9.99 </TD><TD align=center>4</TD><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259640 noWrap align=right>$39.96 </TD></TR><TR id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259650><TD align=center>SISTVOFF1</TD><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259652>Fake Snow 3gal Bag of Snow in Seconds</TD><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259649 noWrap align=right>$12.99 </TD><TD align=center>1</TD><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259692 noWrap align=right>$12.99 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259657 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259656><TR id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259655><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259654 height=20 width="100%" align=right>Subtotal: </TD><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259695 align=right>$52.95 </TD></TR><TR id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259660><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259659 height=20 align=right>Shipping cost: </TD><TD align=right>$21.99 </TD></TR><TR id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259663><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259662 bgColor=#58595b colSpan=2>http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/down...d=YahooMailNeo</TD></TR><TR id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259666><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259665 bgColor=#cccccc height=25 align=right>Total: </TD><TD id=yui_3_2_0_15_1333839162259699 bgColor=#cccccc align=right>$74.94 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

LVNHACK 04-07-2012 08:35 PM

Big Red...You know of any Marine or Army Cav units serving over there at the moment ?

Regards,

D.

BigRedChief 04-07-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LVNHACK (Post 8524725)
Big Red...You know of any Marine or Army Cav units serving over there at the moment ?

Regards,

D.

yes

BigRedChief 04-13-2012 09:35 PM

New packages going out to RJ's nephew and his unit in Afghanistan. 2 big packages of instant snow in this shipment.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5324/6...a2e217e0_z.jpg

BigRedChief 04-14-2012 09:17 PM

WTF, this falls off the front page in 5 mintues due to smartalec posts about Arkansas?

Bowser 04-14-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8542024)
WTF, this falls off the front page in 5 mintues due to smartalec posts about Arkansas?

You must be new here.

BigRedChief 04-15-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8542120)
You must be new here.

LMAO touche :thumb:

BigRedChief 04-15-2012 01:40 PM

last bump only kept the thread on the front page for about an hour. One more to make sure all that contribute know of the new packages going out to RJ's nephew's unit in Afghanistan,

BigRedChief 04-18-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

SPC NAME EDITED OUT
(wolfpack TOC)
HHC,1-82nd CAB

I cannot thank you enough. My whole squad loved the jerky and seeds and the batteries were put to immediate use. Thank you and god bless
Some feedback for the planet.

BigRedChief 04-25-2012 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New packages going out to the troops. This one is going out to a long time Planeteer's brother-in-law and his unit who wished to remain annonymus. lots of fake snow in these packages too.

BigRedChief 05-02-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8566238)
New packages going out to the troops. This one is going out to a long time Planeteer's brother-in-law and his unit who wished to remain annonymus. lots of fake snow in these packages too.

bump for the new packages going out. With the draft it fell off the front page real quick.

Simply Red 05-02-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8589634)
bump for the new packages going out. With the draft it fell off the front page real quick.

BRC don't ship drugs bro, it'll never pass customs. :p

Well done BRC, honorable mention. :clap:

BigRedChief 05-02-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 8589650)
BRC don't ship drugs bro, it'll never pass customs. :p

Well done BRC, honorable mention. :clap:

Dude, I have serious connections over there. Those connections can make things happen. :rolleyes:

But since 10 year old kids are selling hash and opium for about $1 right off every base in afghanistan, whats the point?:hmmm:

BigRedChief 05-28-2012 09:22 AM

Bump for Memorial Day. Some of these troops that recieved these packages are not coming home alive. We should pause to at least think of that sacrifice on Memorial Day.

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-28-2012 09:43 AM

When is the next shipment going out? I'll chip in again...

BigRedChief 05-28-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan (Post 8643163)
When is the next shipment going out? I'll chip in again...

probably this week. The next shipment is going out to a Calvary and Marine unit as per request but the Calvary unit has been changing units. Should have an address firmed up this week.

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-29-2012 06:49 AM

What's your PayPal address again please?

BigRedChief 05-29-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan (Post 8644581)
What's your PayPal address again please?

check your PM. It's no secret and a lot of people on here have it, just no need to broadcast.

BigRedChief 06-07-2012 09:41 PM

Update from a Planeteers family about a Planet care package

Quote:

My wife just got a message back from his wife. He did receive the package and she said he was very thankful for it. Thanks for all the good work you do, BRC.

BigRedChief 07-03-2012 11:51 AM

Bump for July 4th. Props to our fellow countrymen who protect our freedoms and ensure oue safety.

Thanks for being on that wall.

El Jefe 07-03-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8716421)
Bump for July 4th. Props to our fellow countrymen who protect our freedoms and ensure oue safety.

Thanks for being on that wall.

Let me know when the next run goes out.

BigRedChief 07-07-2012 04:20 PM

As per a Planeteers request, new packages are going out to the 1st Marine divison and the Army's 126th Calvary unit. Both units are serving in Aghanistan.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8018/7...ace27e5f_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8165/7...c02698d3_c.jpg

BigRedChief 07-08-2012 06:14 PM

This fell off the front page too quick. Bump to give all the people who contribute a chance to see the new packages that went out to the troops.

frankotank 07-09-2012 11:42 AM

great bump
great idea
great thread

if you're gonna send more I'm in. let me know,
I don't have anyone in particular, they are all our boys/girls.

BigRedChief 07-11-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8727383)
great bump
great idea
great thread

if you're gonna send more I'm in. let me know,
I don't have anyone in particular, they are all our boys/girls.

Sure, we will keep going until the troops in Afghanistan are back home safely. Its a lonely pisshole of a place. A package from fellow Americans makes a big difference.

BigRedChief 07-19-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8566238)

recieved this PM. Wonder if we are making a difference?

Hey BRC,

A few days after my wife checked with her brother's wife about this package, he was injured in an IED attack and sent home for medical treatment. Today we learned that his driver and the guy who took his place were both killed by an IED. It's a tough job these guys have (both in terms of personal risk and also in terms of dealing with the loss of close friends).

Thanks again for all the support you facilitate!

NAME EDITED

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BigRedChief 07-20-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8754255)
recieved this PM. Wonder if we are making a difference?

Hey BRC,

A few days after my wife checked with her brother's wife about this package, he was injured in an IED attack and sent home for medical treatment. Today we learned that his driver and the guy who took his place were both killed by an IED. It's a tough job these guys have (both in terms of personal risk and also in terms of dealing with the loss of close friends).

Thanks again for all the support you facilitate!

NAME EDITED

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I sent out a new package to this unit. Forgot to take the pictures before sending. Sounds like this unit is having a hard time lately. Might give them a brief respite from their grief to be reminded that someone back home appreciated their sacrifice.

BigRedChief 07-21-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8756279)
I sent out a new package to this unit. Forgot to take the pictures before sending. Sounds like this unit is having a hard time lately. Might give them a brief respite from their grief to be reminded that someone back home appreciated their sacrifice.

Bump for the new package going out.

BigRedChief 08-07-2012 08:09 AM

Every Planet member that has requested a package be sent to his family or friends has recieved one from the Planet.

If you have a family or friend serving in the military, let me know and the Planet will get a package out to them. You want to keep it private. Thats doable. Just PM me.

crazycoffey 08-07-2012 10:48 AM

Got a small group of my platoon (5) that are volunteering to go with a sister unit. They leave later this month for Afghanistan, I will keep you posted when they get settled and have address information. Would like to get their names in the hat for a package if possible.

BigRedChief 08-08-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 8797785)
Got a small group of my platoon (5) that are volunteering to go with a sister unit. They leave later this month for Afghanistan, I will keep you posted when they get settled and have address information. Would like to get their names in the hat for a package if possible.

Dude, didnt they do two tours over in the sandbox like you? And then volunteer? Man, I wish I had that much courage. They got some big balls.

Of course we can slot them for some packages. Just let me know their addy when settled.

crazycoffey 08-08-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8799792)
Dude, didnt they do two tours over in the sandbox like you? And then volunteer? Man, I wish I had that much courage. They got some big balls.

Of course we can slot them for some packages. Just let me know their addy when settled.

it'll be a good excuse to donate to the cause again.

BigRedChief 08-09-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8797395)
Every Planet member that has requested a package be sent to his family or friends has recieved one from the Planet.

If you have a family or friend serving in the military, let me know and the Planet will get a package out to them. You want to keep it private. Thats doable. Just PM me.

bump for taking requests for packages.

BigRedChief 08-14-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8797395)

info bump. Let me know if you know someone.

BigRedChief 08-26-2012 10:42 AM

You don't have to be a regular or vet of the site to put a name into the hopper to recieve these packages. We have openings in the package schedule to get your friend/family a package sent to them. Just let me know in this thread or privately. We can keep everything confidential.

BigRedChief 10-25-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8853682)
You don't have to be a regular or vet of the site to put a name into the hopper to recieve these packages. We have openings in the package schedule to get your friend/family a package sent to them. Just let me know in this thread or privately. We can keep everything confidential.

Anyone know someone that is serving? Let me know.

BigRedChief 11-02-2012 09:22 PM

No one had friends or family over there? I know there is still 63K soldiers over there. None are chief fans or friends or family of Chief fans?

crazycoffey 11-02-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 8797785)

They're there now, I'll get the address and PM it to you

BigRedChief 11-03-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9078926)
They're there now, I'll get the address and PM it to you

Cool.

We have $71.83 in the Planet's account. To the contributors. is this the last one or do we ask for or seek more funds to keep the packages flowing? Or has this project run its course?

crazycoffey 11-05-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9079128)
Cool.

We have $71.83 in the Planet's account. To the contributors. is this the last one or do we ask for or seek more funds to keep the packages flowing? Or has this project run its course?

Honestly, it seems (unfortunately) to have run it's course. For now at least. maybe pop it back in 8-12 months and see if more planeteers have friends or family deployed/deploying to re-evaluate.

Just my two cents. If I'm wrong and you start getting another push, then of course go with it.

Or just keep bumping it and F anyone who doesn't like it.....

Mr. Flopnuts 11-05-2012 04:14 AM

F anyone who doesn't like it.

patteeu 11-05-2012 09:03 AM

I have a nephew who just deployed to Afghanistan, but he really hasn't been there long enough to fully appreciate a package, IMO, so send to someone else first. If there are still funds left in a couple of months, maybe he could use one then.

bunger 11-05-2012 09:14 AM

This is cool,I have a 28 yr old son there now.He's been there since early May.I text him updates of our lowly Chiefs play.Meh,he is thouroughly disgusted,needless to say.He gets plenty from family,including me.He watches over the US Army troops w/a 50cal.Sniper rifle.Thank you for the support you all have given these Brave men and women of the USA.HOORAAAAH!

patteeu 11-05-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunger (Post 9085711)
This is cool,I have a 28 yr old son there now.He's been there since early May.I text him updates of our lowly Chiefs play.Meh,he is thouroughly disgusted,needless to say.He gets plenty from family,including me.He watches over the US Army troops w/a 50cal.Sniper rifle.Thank you for the support you all have given these Brave men and women of the USA.HOORAAAAH!

May your son be blessed with a sure shot and a safe return (and his family with peace of mind).

BigRedChief has been raising money and sending these out for almost 3 years now. It's a thoughtful and generous thing he's done and it really *is* cool.

BigRedChief 11-11-2012 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9079128)
Cool.

Evidently this idea and thread still has life. Got another $100 in new donations. Went out and bought some new goodies today. We have enough to send out another 4 boxes of goodies.

crazycoffey 11-11-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9106850)
Evidently this idea and thread still has life. Got another $100 in new donations. Went out and bought some new goodies today. We have enough to send out another 4 boxes of goodies.

That's awesome news. Thanks to the new and continuing supporters that keeps this going. As a solider on the receiving side; it means so much to have complete strangers contribute to these packages. Its a moral victory, makes you feel noticed, affirmation. In some of the worst times I've ever experienced, a small note or package surprising me made the difference between being depressed and feeling validated. Agree or not for the reasons we're there, coming together and supporting the troops with their boots on the ground is a profound statement, and it does not go un-noticed by the troops receiving the packages. Don't make fun of what I'm saying, never in my life has a simple gesture made me feel so good and happy to be an american. Keep donating if you feel inclined, it matters more than you know to the troops receiving it.

BigRedChief 11-15-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunger (Post 9085711)

I know you have to worry about him every day, I would. Sometimes we forget about the sacrifice of the families too.:clap:

BigRedChief 11-15-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9107242)
That's awesome news. Thanks to the new and continuing supporters that keeps this going. As a solider on the receiving side; it means so much to have complete strangers contribute to these packages. Its a moral victory, makes you feel noticed, affirmation. In some of the worst times I've ever experienced, a small note or package surprising me made the difference between being depressed and feeling validated. Agree or not for the reasons we're there, coming together and supporting the troops with their boots on the ground is a profound statement, and it does not go un-noticed by the troops receiving the packages. Don't make fun of what I'm saying, never in my life has a simple gesture made me feel so good and happy to be an american. Keep donating if you feel inclined, it matters more than you know to the troops receiving it.

everyone involved in this knows its not about some jerky and cashews. When you are in a war zone and you get a package from your fellow Americans that raised the money themselves to make your life over there just a little brighter for a brief moment.....that shit is real. I know that they have to think.........."Someone back home, a stranger but fellow citizen cares about what I'm doing, appreciates my sacrifice".

To put that thought in a soldiers head in a war zone, half way around the world, thats worth the effort. And for that reason alone this project shouldn't die until all the troops are out of the war zone.

BigRedChief 11-20-2012 08:39 PM

New packages went out to the former unit of a Planeteer that is doing their 2nd tour in Afghanistan.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8069/8...bcacb779_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8...25d5c3a7_c.jpg

Easy 6 11-20-2012 09:01 PM

Just a quick message to those still over there...

We love ya

Happy Thanksgiving

Keep your head on a swivel and come home safe.

BigRedChief 11-21-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9137957)

We love ya

Happy Thanksgiving

Having those volunteers on that wall protecting us, sacrificing for us is defintely something that should be on everyone's "need to thank list" this Thanksgiving.

BigRedChief 11-22-2012 09:03 AM

Giving thanks to those on the wall bump.

crazycoffey 11-22-2012 03:33 PM

package looks good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9137957)

We love ya

Happy Thanksgiving

and this x 10000

KCHawg 11-22-2012 04:20 PM

I currently deployed to an undisclosed location in SW Asia, the packages from home help make it bearable. Especially when you are away for the holidays. Thank you to all of you for doing this for the troops.

BigRedChief 11-22-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9142045)
package looks good!

and this x 10000

No instant snow in these packages. But, some Christmas candy canes and some top quality snacks.

patteeu 11-22-2012 06:30 PM

Thanks to all the people who serve our country both in and out of the military and thanks to BigRedChief for continuing to make this happen. :thumb:

BigRedChief 11-24-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9142480)
Thanks to all the people who serve our country both in and out of the military and thanks to BigRedChief for continuing to make this happen. :thumb:

It's the Planet that continues to make this happen, not me. The Planet is supplying the money in the packages. I'm just paying the shipping and gathering the goods.

To all the n00bs if you are interested, 100% of all donated money goes into the packages. No overhead, no shipping costs. Thats on me. Every single penny goes to the troops.

BigRedChief 12-21-2012 08:30 PM

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...07116919_n.jpg

BigRedChief 01-14-2013 08:37 AM

New packages going out to the troops in Afghanistan. These packages are going out to the family of a long time poster and member of the Planet community. They have a family member serving in the sandbox. The Planet member would like their identity to remain anonymous.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8199/8...6546a7a9_c.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8197/8...f79e0dfd_c.jpg