ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Tamba Hali? MOTHER F*** you CARL!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=139909)

banyon 05-01-2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha
Banyon...it's fine that you don't like the pick, but you continue to make wild assumptions based on very little solid information. What makes you think we could have gotten Hali 10 picks later...have you talked to each of the GMs who picked after us? Come on now!??? :mad:

And who exactly was out there who had "similar talent" that we could have gotten 10 picks later? I can't think of anybody and the draft board certainly doesn't show anybody who is comparable to Hali at that point in the draft or slightly later.

Sure...trade down when you don't have a guy at your pick that you feel strongly about. That's a wise move. However, KC felt strongly about Hali. Moving down and missing on him, especially considering the extreme need at DE would have most likely been a monumental error. The draft gods don't go out of their way to favor KC in the best of times. Last year was an exception.

It's a long thread...so here's what I said originally:

Quote:

Originally Posted by banyon
If we redrafted this draft with someone besides CeePee, Hali wouldn't have gone at twenty, we would've gone down to 28 or 30 and gotten him.

And even if her were somehow snapped up, then we still could've landed Jimmy Williams, Santonio Holmes, Chad Jackson, or Winston Justice, who I bet will all turn out to be better pros than Hali.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha
We got a guy who was an All-American DE, and a guy who disrupted offenses on a regular basis. I think he is as close to a sure thing as we could have gotten all things considered. If I'm right, nobody is going to be concerned about where we drafted him...right?

I hope that he's an all-Pro for the next 10 years. But I just don't feel very good about it yet. Hey, I liked about 40% of the picks, so I'm not impossible to please.

penchief 05-01-2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPimpDude
Christ, even one of the "highlight" videos is him getting dominated by an OT from Iowa.

What highlight video are you referring to? One of those internet highlight films from a network that used only footage from the two or three games they covered?

I'll make a gentleman's bet with you. I'll bet that Tamba Hali breaks the Chief rookie record for sacks. I'll predict, here and now, that he will surpass the rookie season sack totals of both Derrick Thomas and Jared Allen.

ChiefaRoo 05-01-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
You really see us benching Hicks?

Hicks isn't very good. He's on a severe decline and has been for the last two seasons. He reminds me of Mike Bell late in his career.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-01-2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo
Hicks isn't very good. He's on a severe decline and has been for the last two seasons. He reminds me of Mike Bell late in his career.

Mike Bell's family has seats directly in front of mine. My g/f's dad told me that one time he and his dad were there and were talking shit about Mike Bell and then one of them turned around and said something to the likes of "that's my son". Priceless.

Eleazar 05-01-2006 03:11 PM

I think the past few days have been a 52 week high for shameless tripe posted about a football player. Maybe not since Larry Johnson was wearing #34 has it been this big of a bull market for bull s###

Carlota69 05-01-2006 03:42 PM

Ah, remember the good ol' days when we were stoked about getting Ryan Sims and pissed that we got Larry Johnson?

I miss those days...oh, wait....

Frankie 05-01-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penchief
What highlight video are you referring to? One of those internet highlight films from a network that used only footage from the two or three games they covered?

I'll make a gentleman's bet with you. I'll bet that Tamba Hali breaks the Chief rookie record for sacks. I'll predict, here and now, that he will surpass the rookie season sack totals of both Derrick Thomas and Jared Allen.

Had the technology existed in biblical times, I'm sure there would be one highlight of one big strong dude named Goliath getting dominated ONCE by a weakling named David. As dramatic as the alleged outcome was I wonder how many highlights would exist of him beating the stuffing out of that David dude had they fought ten times. The point is, even the best players this day and age can show up on some highlight being "dominated." I agree with you here. BSPimpDude should not judge Tamba Hali by one highlight.

nychief 05-01-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie
Had the technology existed in biblical times, I'm sure there would be one highlight of one big strong dude named Goliath getting dominated ONCE by a weakling named David. As dramatic as the alleged outcome was I wonder how many highlights would exist of him beating the stuffing out of that David dude had they fought ten times.

wow.

DaneMcCloud 05-01-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

If we redrafted this draft with someone besides CeePee, Hali wouldn't have gone at twenty, we would've gone down to 28 or 30 and gotten him.

And even if her were somehow snapped up, then we still could've landed Jimmy Williams, Santonio Holmes, Chad Jackson, or Winston Justice, who I bet will all turn out to be better pros than Hali.

So what you're saying is that you don't think that Hali is better than a mid-second round pick. I definitely disagree with this "analysis" but when Hali makes a few Pro Bowls, it won't matter where he was drafted.

And FTR, there have been VERY few wide recievers drafted in the first or second round that have not only made an immediate impact, but a long lasting impact. I am SO happy that the Chiefs didn't draft Jackson (who is a system WR if I've ever seen one, let alone the fact that Florida WR's just don't seem to pan out in the NFL), or Justice (we have tons of OL prospects and don't need another) or Holmes (though I think he'll have the better of the two careers when compared to Jackson) or Williams.

KCBOSS1 05-01-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
No, we'll need him (Hicks) to play corner.

that's funny

Frankie 05-02-2006 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud
.... or Justice (we have tons of OL prospects and don't need another) or Holmes (though I think he'll have the better of the two careers when compared to Jackson) or Williams.

The list of top prospects that I had ranked Justice as the 10th best player in the draft. Based on that I couldn't believe when he dropped like he did. I thought now we HAVE TO spend our 2nd on him for future fix. Then I discovered the reason for his drop. Arrests and other off-field stupidity. IOW, character problems. No thanks. I'm pretty pumped about Hali and all the "character" stuff that I read about him. I think he is talented (if not a little raw) and combined with his (alleged) strength of character we have a great first rounder.

Moooo 05-02-2006 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie
The list of top prospects that I had ranked Justice as the 10th best player in the draft. Based on that I couldn't believe when he dropped like he did. I thought now we HAVE TO spend our 2nd on him for future fix. Then I discovered the reason for his drop. Arrests and other off-field stupidity. IOW, character problems. No thanks. I'm pretty pumped about Hali and all the "character" stuff that I read about him. I think he is talented (if not a little raw) and combined with his (alleged) strength of character we have a great first rounder.

I think every team needs some class acts and some bad boys. Although I'm not for someone starting a fight at a nightclub, and I'd flat out try and hurt the guy I see assault his wife, I think sometimes that dirty attitude these people bring to a team rubs off on other players and makes them more intense. There's no evidence or justification for it, but I just think that. :-)

Moooo

Frankie 05-02-2006 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooo
I think every team needs some class acts and some bad boys.

No offence, Moooo. But how old are you? Old enough to remember Marty's final couple of years? My definition of "bad boys" footballwise is on-field badass football players. Not drug dealers, drunk drivers or night club thugs. The Raiders are welcome to them. My Chiefs (hopefully) will thrive with the likes of Tamba Hali.

Eleazar 10-02-2006 09:57 AM

oopsie

HC_Chief 10-02-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
oopsie

DOH!

:D

jidar 10-02-2006 10:00 AM

hahhaha nice.

Halfcan 10-02-2006 10:02 AM

Hali is a bust. He only got 1 1/2 sacks yesterday-the dude sucks.

Stinger 10-02-2006 10:03 AM

Damnit Carl!!!!!! :cuss:

:D
ROFL ROFL

Halfcan 10-02-2006 10:03 AM

DJ is a bust too only 9 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks. We allowed 90 plus yards passing-truely unacceptable.

Brock 10-02-2006 10:05 AM

Serving up a big bowl of dumb.

Hammock Parties 10-02-2006 10:06 AM

Hali is getting shafted. He had a forced fumble yesterday on his first sack.

Kerberos 10-02-2006 10:06 AM

Funny how people can call out someone BEFORE they even get to play.

IMO he has played better than the #1 pick that Houston has playing. I would just as soon have Tamba than Super Mario.

Eleazar 10-02-2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

You don't spend a first round pick on a guy who'll only play on third down...

Hate to do it but... :doh!:

Eleazar 10-02-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
Now when Eric Hicks is still starting this year everyone will wonder why this pick was bad.....

Another gem from one of the planet's most knowledgable...

ChiefaRoo 10-02-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

If you like Hali fine.

But this was 10 picks too high to take this dude.

My god you are a football reerun aren't you?

WilliamTheIrish 10-02-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Another gem from one of the planet's most knowledgable...

Quote:

Now when Eric Hicks is still starting this year everyone will wonder why this pick was bad.....
There must have a been a 3rd team USC player available at the position...

Eleazar 10-02-2006 10:17 AM

I bookmarked this thread the day of the draft, and I wanted to wait to bump this for a little while since it's still early in the season, but I couldn't resist any longer. He's clearly an upgrade at the position.

Inspector 10-02-2006 10:25 AM

I wondered if this was going to pop up again.

Nice move.

Mr. Banyon - still feel the same?

Iowanian 10-02-2006 10:29 AM

Ahhahhahahaha.

Banyon, Mecca and to some extent Raush put their units in a cider press on this thread.

priceless.

Brock 10-02-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88
Reaching for a defensive lineman with a limited football background... sounds like Junior Siavii to me.

This is so typical of Peterson, reaching for a guy who has "raw potential".

I hate this pick

Along with the moronic babble we've come to expect from 88.

HemiEd 10-02-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd
I am no draft expert like some, but I like the pick even though its not a sexy one.

Heh, if only Mecca would have been doing the picking! :D

CupidStunt 10-02-2006 10:44 AM

That "raw potential", "limted background in football", "sounds like Junior Siavii" analysis is the biggest horseshit I've read all day - and there's been a lot.

Raw potential? The kid was drafted because he produces. If anything, he lacked potential, but you knew what you'd get.

banyon 10-02-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

oopsie

Hey! I already recanted this.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...ght=Tamba+Hali

Pitt Gorilla 10-02-2006 10:53 AM

Great thread. :thumb:

Brock 10-02-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I still think it was a bit of a reach,
Uh...no. You still need a severe beatdown.

Coach 10-02-2006 10:55 AM

LMAO

Raiderhater 10-02-2006 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla
Great thread. :thumb:

Destined to be a classic.

Halfcan 10-02-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd
Heh, if only Mecca would have been doing the picking! :D

He would have picked a thug with a rap sheet.

Eleazar 10-02-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

We all saw your preemptive strike on this, but you posted the knee-jerk thread so you still get the requisite smackdown . :LOL:

Bowser 10-02-2006 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LMAO

Calcountry 10-02-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish
There must have a been a 3rd team USC player available at the position...

Where is Mecca? I need to remind him that Palmer is Brady's bitch.

ChiefsCountry 10-02-2006 11:15 AM

All I know is the three Chiefs picks I predicted have became darn good players - DJ, Colquitt, and Hali.

Stinger 10-02-2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

From that thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
Sorry for misquoting you this is how he graded out on my scouting

D- against the run too small bad technique
D for speed
C for agility needs to work on firing off the ball
C work ethic needs to bulk up in the weightroom lack of bulk maybe due to offseason character issues. \

Overall projection 4th round patriots project pick

whoops .... LMAOLMAO

Frankie 10-02-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

oopsie

LMAO Rep.

Demonpenz 10-02-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger
From that thread

whoops .... LMAOLMAO

Damn that was a good one. I even made up the quote from a fake website Look at this comment.........

wow from scoutsdominate.com "What a reach by the chiefs, no wonder they haven't won a playoff game in 20 years"

Frankie 10-02-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo
My god you are a football reerun aren't you?

In all fairness, non of us could be sure that Tamba would be this good. It's banyon's radical opiniated overreaction in his thread that we are reacting against. Much like yours in your post.

Demonpenz 10-02-2006 11:44 AM

holy shit if anyone took that for me being serious has issues. I was trying to reel people in for his off the field issues because they ran that article 10 times about what a great guy he is off the field.

Hound333 10-02-2006 11:47 AM

I honestly didn't think he would start this year. I was one of those that wondered if we had reached again like we did on Junior. I am glad I was wrong. Maybe I will have to start trusting our picks again instead of immediately putting them into the bust column.

Demonpenz 10-02-2006 11:47 AM

i will gladly eat any and all crow though. If you keep hustling good things will happen.

NJ Chief Fan 10-02-2006 11:57 AM

Hali Boma Ye Hali Boma Ye Hali Boma Ye Hali Boma Ye Hali Boma Ye Hali Boma Ye Hali Boma Ye Hali Boma Ye Hali Boma Ye Hali Boma Ye

banyon 10-02-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

We all saw your preemptive strike on this, but you posted the knee-jerk thread so you still get the requisite smackdown . :LOL:

Fine. Have your fun. :thumb:

I'm glad I was wrong.

boogblaster 10-02-2006 12:26 PM

Hell hes only played 3 NFL games I think hes doing fine....

teedubya 10-02-2006 12:26 PM

Banyon Sucks!!! Cut him from Chiefsplanet!

CHENZ A! 10-02-2006 12:30 PM

I like the way he stops the run, good player.

If you guys haven't read Posnanski's article today, you should, it's about Tamba's mom who made her first trip to Arrowhead yesterday.

Kerberos 10-02-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Chi3fs
Banyon Sucks!!! Cut him from Chiefsplanet!

Would that be anything like sending him to Banned Camp?

headsnap 10-02-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxrider
Would that be anything like sending him to Banned Camp?

"this one year, at Banned Camp, Gunther Fan stuck a flute up his..."

Bwana 10-02-2006 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
*SNICKER*

KC-TBB 10-02-2006 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, I SEE, stuff you say can be brought back to make you look like an ASS MONTHS later! COOL!

ChiTown 10-02-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla
I still don't understand how casual fans seem to "know" when players should be selected.

Best post on this entire thread, and 100% true!

Mojo Rising 10-02-2006 05:46 PM

I liked the Hali pick at the time and still do. In the Orange Bowl, before the combine, I thought he was the defensive playmaker the Chiefs needed but wouldn't get.

This turned out much like DJ who Whitlock claimed in an article the prior year in Dec when we won a meaningless game that it would cost us the defensive playmaker we needed, Texas' Derrick Johnson.

That being said. He went against Kwame Harris who is the worse RT in the league. Harris is horrible. Hali still needs to work on his game against some of the better RT's in the game.

Did anyone else notice a lot of un-called holding calls on SF? I thought there should have had more holding calls vs. the SF OL.

Calcountry 10-02-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC-TBB
So, I SEE, stuff you say can be brought back to make you look like an ASS MONTHS later! COOL!

Yes, so let this be a lesson to you n00b, DON'T SAY STUPID SHIT ON THIS BOARD!

|Zach| 10-02-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Zach)
I feel great about today.

I really do believe it is a fun time to be a fan of this team.

I agree with me still. The past me.

http://www.moviebazaar.de/filmfut1.jpg

Adept Havelock 10-02-2006 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
If you keep hustling good things will happen.

:hmmm:

Eleazar 04-27-2007 09:27 AM

Bump for a draft meltdown appetizer. :drool:

Mecca 04-27-2007 09:29 AM

LOL.......I still think we could have got an extra pick...

OnTheWarpath15 04-27-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Bump for a draft meltdown appetizer. :drool:

Great find.

I expect much of the same tomorrow, regardless of who we pick......

Tribal Warfare 04-27-2007 09:29 AM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...65#post3181465

Mecca 04-27-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58
Great find.

I expect much of the same tomorrow, regardless of who we pick......

If it's Ross or Staley I will meltdown.........I warn you now.

Hammock Parties 04-27-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

You don't spend a first round pick on a guy who'll only play on third down...

Haha.

JBucc 04-27-2007 09:32 AM

Lucky for me my initial reaction to Tamba was in the chat room.

Hammock Parties 04-27-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

FATALITY!

Mecca 04-27-2007 09:35 AM

I was still in DV mode where the old guys started no matter what........

Messier 04-27-2007 09:38 AM

Trading down is not easy. You need another team that wants a player at that spot badly enough to move up. Besides I remember hearing that the Chiefs knew a team a few behind them wanted Hali.

Frosty 04-27-2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier
Trading down is not easy. You need another team that wants a player at that spot badly enough to move up. Besides I remember hearing that the Chiefs knew a team a few behind them wanted Hali.

It was the Giants, supposedly.

the Talking Can 04-27-2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
before I read the thread,my thoughts:

Hali is everything Siavi isn't....produced at a big school at a big conference, and his work ethic is unqestioned....he has come from circumstances that make him humble and hungry....he is exactly the type of guy Herm told us he'd draft...

did we reach a little? yeah...

did we fill a position of need? yeah...

how good will he be? don't know...

I'm happy with this pick...he isn't a project and we didn't draft for "potential"....

no reason to be that upset, imho

I AM SO ****ING SMART

I LOVE MYSELF

the Talking Can 04-27-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
40 doesn't mean shit..no runs a 40 during a football game...believe your eyes, not a workout in shorts

that's what Edwards said he would do...I give him credit for being consistent, we'll see how it works out...I'm excited

I SPEAK AND PEOPLE LISTEN

HolmeZz 04-27-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolmeZz
There's no guarantee he would've been there in 10 picks. This was a good move. I know we're all used to lambasting Carl lots of times, but this isn't one of them.

In Tamba I Trust.

FreznoChief 04-27-2007 10:46 AM

This thread is hilarious! It's so weird to see the mind set that so many fans had last year about Hali. Aren't we all glad that we chose Hali and not Lawson? I am. Tamba wants to play the game and is only going to get better and better. I don't know who we choose this draft, but Herm did a good job in year one, IMO...

blackhawk 04-27-2007 11:27 AM

who made that pick? was it herm or carl outstanding pick!

stlchiefs 04-27-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackhawk
who made that pick? was it herm or carl outstanding pick!

So are we trading LJ or what?