ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs *****The Kareem Hunt Thread***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=307438)

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-01-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12852369)
But the floor on quitter Joe is much lower.

There's no doubt about that. He's young and made dumb decisions like many others, but at least he didn't beat a girl. I can guess he wasn't happy waiting behind Devontae Booker and then likely disagreed with how their coaching staff didn't give him much reps at the beginning of 2016

Tribal Warfare 05-01-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12848358)
Kind of reminds me of the rb from the skins

Or Curtis Martin

raybec 4 05-01-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12852403)
There's no doubt about that. He's young and made dumb decisions like many others, but at least he didn't beat a girl. I can guess he wasn't happy waiting behind Devontae Booker and then likely disagreed with how their coaching staff didn't give him much reps at the beginning of 2016

Matbe I'm thinking of someone else but didn't he have a bad case of fumbleitis?

Warrick 05-01-2017 10:04 AM

He ran 4.57 at his pro day. With proper weight management for a change, and strengthening & conditioning at the NFL level this kid can shave a tenth of a second off that time.

raybec 4 05-01-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 12852405)
Or Curtis Martin

I'd take that all day.

Warrick 05-01-2017 11:40 AM

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/5...-shaking-fools nice article

Rausch 05-01-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12852503)
I'd take that all day.

He's a clone of Martin with less speed and more physicality.

He lost a ton of weight (stupid) to try and improve his 40 time and it pretty much stayed the same as when he was 225.

I say bulk him back up and let him do what he does.

raybec 4 05-01-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12852676)

He lost a ton of weight (stupid) to try and improve his 40 time and it pretty much stayed the same as when he was 225.

He needs to get back to 225 because his style of play won't hold up at 208.

raybec 4 05-01-2017 12:37 PM

The thing that's different about Hunt in a good way is that even though you see him run to contact and fight for yards on every run, he never fumbled. Usually guys that give that much extra effort fumble occasionally and he will as a pro if he seeks those extra couple of yards but he's very secure with the ball.

ChiefAshhole1056 05-01-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12852797)

I know it's kind of outlandish to throw this name out, but he's really just following the same path as Leveon Bell. Bell was a heavier back in college (230) as well, and after a year in the league he did what he could to rim down his weight to 210-ish. Now I'm pretty sure he's 220, but Hunt seems to be following that same thought of "lighter means quicker", and their running styles are pretty similar as well. Doesnt necessarily have a lot of "moves", but he's shifty as hell and knows where to run.

I dont think he'll reach near Bell's level, but considering Dorsey traded up to get this guy in round 3 means he sees something. That in itself should be warrant excitement.

RunKC 05-01-2017 12:51 PM

John Lynch changed his mind about drafting Joe Williams after not having him on his draft board.
Apparently the guys sister died and it ruined him mentally.

Still...Lynch looks like an awful GM. Sure he got easy choices early in the draft from high picks. I would seriously doubt his mid to late round picks.

Buckweath 05-01-2017 12:54 PM

I've watched his film. I'm pretty sure this guy can become as good as Ware at his best but stay constantly at this level if this makes sense. Ware at his best is arguably a top 10 RB.

Gore in his prime is also obviously a good comparison as far as high end potential.

DJ's left nut 05-01-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12852797)

That's the thing - his fans are talking about how the strength and conditioning program is going to shave a tenth off his 40 time (which is ridiculous, BTW). They're ignoring that he already ran 20 lbs underneath where he's going to have to play.

He can't run like he runs at 210; he'll get wrecked. He needs to add that weight back and while it may turn out that additional fitness helps, age and mileage will take most of that back. These guys don't get faster after college - they mature physically, get stronger and generally start losing top-end speed from the moment they put on pads.

At best, you could hope that the strength and conditioning coaches get him back up to a healthy, powerful 220 and that it doesn't COST him speed in the process, but he ain't gaining any.

The Curtis Martin comp is one I hadn't considered and I guess it's a fair statement of his peak ability. Personally I don't see it (Martin was more explosive at his best), but I could see why some do. Obviously that would be a great pick but even Dorsey doesn't see that in him. Dorsey has flat out stated that he was the best guy standing after the elite guys were gone. If Dorsey saw Curtis Martin here, he'd be considered among the elite guys.

Dorsey sees Duce Staley. We already have one of those.

Frosty 05-01-2017 01:03 PM

Dorsey has already said that he sees Hunt playing around 215 lbs. I don't think they want him at 220 - 230.

RunKC 05-04-2017 08:10 AM

Andy was on NFL Insiders on ESPN yesterday and talked about Hunt's core strength. Said that if you want to see core strength and balance watch his tape.

That pretty much signals that the Chiefs drafted this kid to help with their struggles in short yardage situations last year. It's a big added bonus that he's a pass catcher, too.

raybec 4 05-04-2017 08:21 AM

The thing I like about this pick is that although Hunt is far from fast he's extremely hard to bring down. The NFL has completely gone away from good tackling fundamentals, and arm tackles and cutting have become the new standard (except in Seattle). This kid is going to rack up a ton of yards after contact. He just won't outrun many people to the goal line.

BossChief 05-04-2017 08:39 AM

Top 10 rushers in the NFL last year with similar speed to Hunt...

Jordan Howard ran a 4.59 at his proday
Jay Ajay ran a 4.57
Leveon Bell ran a 4.6
Lagarette Blount ran a 4.59
Devonte Freeman ran a 4.58

Basically half of the leagues top 10 rushers had Similar breakaway speed as Hunt.

bowener 05-04-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 12857501)

Jay Ajay ran a 4.57 - 4.89 y/a #7
Leveon Bell ran a 4.6 - 4.86 y/a # 8
Lagarette Blount ran a 4.59 - 3.88 y/a #30
Devonte Freeman ran a 4.58 - 4.75 #10

Basically half of the leagues top 10 rushers had Similar breakaway speed as Hunt.

Spencer Ware average 4.3 y/a last season for us, which ranked him at #16. If Hunt can manage what Ware did, plus hang on to the ball and stay healthy all year, I would consider that a success.

I would prefer Hunt play more like Freeman or Bell, and gain 500+ through the air as well.

BossChief 05-04-2017 09:29 AM

Ware averaged more than 5ypc the year before, though...when Alex wasn't scared and was attacking defenses with his legs more.

I can't wait to see this offense when Mahomes takes over.

DJ's left nut 05-04-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 12857501)

Jay Ajay ran a 4.57
Leveon Bell ran a 4.6
Lagarette Blount ran a 4.59
Devonte Freeman ran a 4.58

And only Bell is a genuine breakaway threat.

Again - my issue isn't that Hunt is a bad player, it's that he's a redundant one. Howard and Ajay are seen as bangers (and let's pump the brakes a bit on Ajayi, he was being seen as a bust and was inactive in game 1 until he got force-fed the football; he's a volume producer). LaGarrette Blount is genuinely sloooooooow.

Spencer Ware and Kareem Hunt are just very similar players. Now if this is a sign that they intend to move on from Ware after this season, then so be it. I'd have no problem not giving Ware a long-term contract with his running style.

But this guy isn't an upgrade on Ware and I don't see him as a complement to Ware either. He's just a guy that can share the workload with Ware and in the process give you a very similar level of production. Perhaps that's their thought; give Ware help and he won't hit that wall that he hit last season.

BossChief 05-04-2017 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/s...atistics/2016/

The Franchise 05-04-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12857572)

Again - my issue isn't that Hunt is a bad player, it's that he's a redundant one. Howard and Ajay are seen as bangers (and let's pump the brakes a bit on Ajayi, he was being seen as a bust and was inactive in game 1 until he got force-fed the football; he's a volume producer). LaGarrette Blount is genuinely sloooooooow.

Spencer Ware and Kareem Hunt are just very similar players. Now if this is a sign that they intend to move on from Ware after this season, then so be it. I'd have no problem not giving Ware a long-term contract with his running style.

But this guy isn't an upgrade on Ware and I don't see him as a complement to Ware either. He's just a guy that can share the workload with Ware and in the process give you a very similar level of production. Perhaps that's their thought; give Ware help and he won't hit that wall that he hit last season.

That's exactly what I think it is. They can swap Ware and Hunt out and they don't have to change the offense or give anything away.

Halfcan 05-04-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 12857569)
Ware averaged more than 5ypc the year before, though...when Alex wasn't scared and was attacking defenses with his legs more.

PM2 and KHunt are going to be fun to watch.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-04-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12857572)

Just so you know , andy Reid is a big fan of Ware and his style

pugsnotdrugs19 05-04-2017 04:42 PM

If they took Hunt because they see him as similar to Ware, I think that is brilliant. I never understood the whole 'Thunder and Lightning' thing all that much.

If you have two completely different backs, you are automatically tipping your hand a bit. There are going to be clear tendencies to which plays you use for each kind of back at some point in the season.

But, if you have a group of guys who are similar, you can stay consistent in your playcalls and keep each player as fresh as possible throughout the game/season.

DJ's left nut 05-04-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12858220)
If they took Hunt because they see him as similar to Ware, I think that is brilliant. I never understood the whole 'Thunder and Lightning' thing all that much.

If you have two completely different backs, you are automatically tipping your hand a bit. There are going to be clear tendencies to which plays you use for each kind of back at some point in the season.

But, if you have a group of guys who are similar, you can stay consistent in your playcalls and keep each player as fresh as possible throughout the game/season.

Nah, you just use them at different points or different situations. For instance, you can use your 'heavy' back early in games to soften up defenses in the hopes of using your quick back late to bust one when their legs are heavy. Or you can use your quick back earlier if you're facing a deficit and need to get the ball in the air and/or have more quick-strike capability on the ground.

If you're trying to salt away a lead, you may want the power back in there.

Obviously the best case scenario is a back that does everything well; can break off a big one AND make guys tired of hitting them. But those are increasingly rare breeds these days so instead you tactically deploy guys with different skill sets. It's cheaper (guys with less complete games get paid less) and in a lot of ways its more effective.

You don't switch up mid-drive because it's time to throw a pass. Obviously that would be telegraphing. But from a more macro-view, there are ways you can deploy guys with different skills that it gets you the best of both worlds.

Best22 05-04-2017 04:57 PM

I never thought Bell was a true "breakaway" threat. He's good at getting "chunk" yards, which is really all you can ask of a runningback. Breakaway speed is not Bell's strength. Devonta Freeman is more of a home run threat.

ct 05-04-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12852676)

thought i saw a 4.47 at his pro day, am i crazy?

saphojunkie 05-04-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct (Post 12858279)
thought i saw a 4.47 at his pro day, am i crazy?

Chesson?

KChiefs1 05-05-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12857481)
The thing I like about this pick is that although Hunt is far from fast he's extremely hard to bring down. The NFL has completely gone away from good tackling fundamentals, and arm tackles and cutting have become the new standard (except in Seattle). This kid is going to rack up a ton of yards after contact. He just won't outrun many people to the goal line.

Chiefs fans need to switch their thinking...we are used to big plays via a run & now the big plays will be by the pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danguardace 05-05-2017 10:46 AM

RB most intriguing camp battle for me.

Ware, West, Spiller and Davis along with Hunt. Davis is a given I think. Gotta feeling West will get clipped.

Dante84 05-05-2017 10:50 AM

Yeah I think it comes down to Spiller vs. West.

If Spiller is back, like Dorsey hinted, we're in a great spot because he's cheaper and better than West.

nychief 05-05-2017 10:52 AM

Darrin Reaves Also.

Frosty 05-05-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danguardace (Post 12859187)
RB most intriguing camp battle for me.

Ware, West, Spiller and Davis along with Hunt. Davis is a given I think. Gotta feeling West will get clipped.

Davis? There's no Davis on the roster. The only RBs are Ware, West, Reeves, Hunt and Spiller (not counting Sherman) plus whatever UDFAs they end up bringing in.

nychief 05-05-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 12859203)
Davis? There's no Davis on the roster. The only RBs are Ware, West, Reeves, Hunt and Spiller (not counting Sherman) plus whatever UDFAs they end up bringing in.

Think he meant knile who is with steelers.

Danguardace 05-05-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 12859203)

Lol I missed that...my bad didn't realise we cut him again already

raybec 4 05-05-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 12859197)
Darrin Reaves Also.

Very under rated guy IMO, hope he gets some run this year.

Red Dawg 05-05-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Darrin Reaves Also.

We have no speed at RB and Reeves we a slower than all of them. Hell no.

Frosty 05-05-2017 11:09 AM

It looks like, as of now, the only other RB that they are bringing in is Ferrell "Trey" Edmunds III, RB, from Virginia Tech. So the main camp battle is probably between West, Reeves, and Spiller.

I'm having a brain cramp right now remembering how many RBs they usually keep. I'm thinking it's four RBs plus Sherman but can't remember for sure.

raybec 4 05-05-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 12859218)
It looks like, as of now, the only other RB that they are bringing in is Ferrell "Trey" Edmunds III, RB, from Virginia Tech. So the main camp battle is probably between West, Reeves, and Spiller.

I'm having a brain cramp right now remembering how many RBs they usually keep. I'm thinking it's four RBs plus Sherman but can't remember for sure.

last year they kept 4 total including Sherman. Plus they gave a few carries to Hill.

raybec 4 05-05-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Edmunds ran a 4.4 at his pro day at 220 lbs, he hasn't played a full season since 2013 due to injury so he needs to stay healthy. As Jayice Pearson loves to say "You can't make the club in the tub"

KChiefs1 05-05-2017 12:09 PM

*****The Kareem Hunt Thread*****

Seth Keysor on the Chiefs RB's.

https://twitter.com/lockedonchiefs/s...89331122876421

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=385100658

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-05-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 12857569)

Has far more to do with Ware playing weaker opponents in 2016 and also transitioning to a consistent heavy load which we found out he can't handle. West was also overweight which he admitted to last month

nychief 05-05-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12859216)

I think we have league average speed at RB... and not for nothing, Spiller was once one of the fastest guys at the position. I guess I'm not a speed queen like some on here, there are only a few guys like Jamaal, Chris Johnson etc... the rest are mid four, 4.5 guys with vision and strong legs.

Quesadilla Joe 05-06-2017 07:17 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New Vikings RB Dalvin Cook was in a league of his own as a tackle-breaker in college football. Will that carry over to the NFL? <a href="https://t.co/RVOs9KQlfg">pic.twitter.com/RVOs9KQlfg</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Focus (@PFF) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF/status/860845633208549376">May 6, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-06-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe (Post 12860136)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New Vikings RB Dalvin Cook was in a league of his own as a tackle-breaker in college football. Will that carry over to the NFL? <a href="https://t.co/RVOs9KQlfg">pic.twitter.com/RVOs9KQlfg</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Focus (@PFF) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF/status/860845633208549376">May 6, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Funny you posted, I was just thinking about your Mom.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-08-2017 10:00 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jWmussGjEcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boy looks like Jamaal Charles at :22

KChiefs1 05-09-2017 04:30 PM

Welcome to KC Kareem!
https://youtu.be/WgWlim3n8ro

KChiefs1 05-11-2017 06:59 PM

Kiper was on NFL Live today & he loves Hunt.

https://youtu.be/4uskfG5sFi0

beach tribe 05-12-2017 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12863673)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jWmussGjEcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boy looks like Jamaal Charles at :22

Lame duck poster....

beach tribe 05-12-2017 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 12859317)
I think we have league average speed at RB... and not for nothing, Spiller was once one of the fastest guys at the position. I guess I'm not a speed queen like some on here, there are only a few guys like Jamaal, Chris Johnson etc... the rest are mid four, 4.5 guys with vision and strong legs.

Speed is worthless without vision..

beach tribe 05-12-2017 03:18 AM

Quote:

Darrin Reaves Also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12859213)
Very under rated guy IMO, hope he gets some run this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12859216)

Quote:

Reeves was cut a cpl days ago.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-12-2017 07:18 AM

Hunt and the return of Ehinger could easily fix this running game. Ware will get more rest and play more efficiently in the process. Both can be legitimate dual threat backs and as we witnessed with Atlanta and New England... If you can get 20% of your receiving yards from your backs the rest of the field opens up for the receivers. I'm confident (barring injuries) this will be the best offense under this regime

Red Dawg 05-12-2017 07:27 AM

I hope Hunt can take Wares job in camp. Hunt has more quickness to get outside.

DJ's left nut 05-12-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12868596)
Kiper was on NFL Live today & he loves Hunt.

https://youtu.be/4uskfG5sFi0

He also said that Nate Peterman could've easily been drafted in the 2nd round.

Kiper's an idiot sometimes. Most times.

DaneMcCloud 05-12-2017 04:36 PM

I really like the selection of Hunt but I'd imagine that it will take him a full year in Barry Rubin's training regimen before his weight stabilizes.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-12-2017 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12869101)
Hunt and the return of Ehinger could easily fix this running game. Ware will get more rest and play more efficiently in the process. Both can be legitimate dual threat backs and as we witnessed with Atlanta and New England... If you can get 20% of your receiving yards from your backs the rest of the field opens up for the receivers. I'm confident (barring injuries) this will be the best offense under this regime

Totally agree. Ware is a beast when he's not worn down. You could see last year he needed some rest. This is going to be a really good tandem.

KChiefs1 05-12-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12870035)
I really like the selection of Hunt but I'd imagine that it will take him a full year in Barry Rubin's training regimen before his weight stabilizes.

Looks pretty muscular to me.

https://youtu.be/l-Y38yOutTI

DaneMcCloud 05-12-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12870274)
Looks pretty muscular to me.

https://youtu.be/l-Y38yOutTI

It's not about muscle, it's about proper nutrition and training.

He went from 230 to 216 to 228 to 206 from January to March this year.

KChiefs1 05-12-2017 08:37 PM

http://lastwordonprofootball.com/201...rowhead-pride/

65 Toss Power Trap – the play that cemented Super Bowl IV for the Kansas City Chiefs may be the most memorable plays in Kansas City Chiefs history. And what is more remarkable, it would be a play that unknowingly would foreshadow the future of how the Chiefs would succeed. From Mike Garrett punching in Hank Stram’s famous call from the five yard line, to Christian Okoye, Priest Holmes, and most recently Jamaal Charles, the Chiefs have been a team thriving on power in the running game to win. As some legends stay true forever, the Chiefs success is synonymous with the running game – and they will attempt to find this power again in Kareem Hunt.

Kareem Hunt: From Toledo Rocket to Arrowhead Pride

It was no surprise when Andy Reid and John Dorsey chose to bring in a powerful, hard-working back of the future in Hunt. A former Toledo Rocket stand out, Hunt was highly productive at a lesser known school. Hunt is used to striving above expectations, but whether he consciously recognizes it or not, Hunt has big shoes to fill – and Chiefs fans should be excited to watch him grow in the NFL.

Hunt’s story starts as a kid in Ohio, a Cleveland Browns fan that was enamored with playing and winning at football. He knew that it would take hard work to make the NFL since the third grade. In an interview with ‘The News Herald’ reporter Mark Podolski, Hunt stated, “I’ve always dreamed of playing in the NFL, and when I told people that when I was growing up, they didn’t believe me. But it… now it’s almost here.” It is this level of dedication that has permeated every successful running back for the Chiefs – a dedication to the fundamental details of football.

Hunt grew into his 5’11” body in high school, maxing out at 205 pounds during his senior year. A beast in the weight room, Hunt embodied the holistic football player of middle America, excelling in three different sports. His two consecutive 2,500-yard seasons at Willoughby South landed Hunt on the All-Ohio State team, and offers from Pitt, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, Ohio, and Toledo. In a decision that seemed destined, Hunt chose to join the Toledo Rockets to display his rocket footwork at the collegiate level.

Hunt’s introduction to Toledo came with the shock of a collegiate work level – no longer was he the dominant man in the weight room. He was mere competition for linebackers in games of tug-a-war. The focus had to shift to making every day count with incremental improvement. Even though Toledo coaches describe Willoughby High School as a collegiate-style offense, college takes another level of dedication.

The commitment to grind through every day and get better is the most notable characteristic that Hunt impersonates. It is what got him a chance to play in 2013 as Coach Matt Campbell stated – “I think he really prepared himself through the early part of the season so that if that ever happened, he would be the ‘guy’.” After adapting to this methodology in the 2013 season, Hunt evolved his game in 2014 and added on the ability punch the ball in a power formation, sweep out and use his athleticism, or combine both power and finesse in the open field. Hunt was well on his way to becoming one of Toledo’s best, finishing 2014 and turning 2015 running attempts into 1,631 yards and 16 touchdowns.

As most players go through, however, adversity struck Hunt in early 2015 and would challenge who he was a man and a player. Coach Matt Campbell had to suspend his all-star running back for the first two games of the season for violating team rules. Although he never specified what rules Hunt and teammate Allen Covington (defensive end) broke, Hunt needed to own up to his mistakes. And he did. Hunt’s name and ‘poor character’ would not be put in the same sentence again.

His fortitude in the weight room was challenged in his return to the field against Iowa State on September 19, 2015. After carrying the ball 24 times for 129 yards, the Toledo Rockets were in the last moments of double overtime, marching closer to the end zone on every play. Hunt had to have known in the back of the mind this game could come down to his running effort – the recollection to be prepared for every opportunity. Alas, it was on the second to last play that Hunt pulled his hamstring and had to leave the field limping. His backup, Damion Jones-Moore, would scurry in for a ten-yard touchdown, stating after the game he was prepared to take the opportunity – a quote that came out of Hunt’s verbiage as a leader.

Hunt put in the work to get back for week five against Kent State, rushing 16 times for 85 yards and two touchdowns. Due to his volume limitations, Hunt finished 2015 with 178 rushes for 973 yards and ten touchdowns. 37 yards from being a 1,000 yard back, Hunt was determined to excel in 2016.

That year, Hunt showed that he had a fire in his heart to reinstitute his prolific play. He hit 1,475 yards on 262 carries, making ten of those touchdowns. He also stepped up in the receiving game – a factor of his career that had been lacking – to catch 41 passes for 403 yards. Capping off his career in the GoDaddy.com Bowl, he rushed for 271 yards and five touchdowns.

Finally, on April 28th, the Kansas City Chiefs made Kareem Hunt’s dream comes true as he was selected 86th overall in the NFL Draft. The running back who would improve his game every year now had a chance to improve his game at the professional level, and at rookie mini-camp Hunt’s comments gave us insight into his own introspection.

“I feel like my offense didn’t really utilize me in the passing game early on in my career,” Hunt noted. “I started working hard and doing seven-on-seven and summer workouts and winning my one-on-one battles, the routes and stuff like that. My coach was, like, ‘Yeah, we’ve got to utilize you more out of the backfield and get you in space.’

And his dream for the Chiefs?

“I just want to be a guy who can be able to do it all,” he emphasized. “I don’t want to come off the field if I don’t have to.”

Kareem Hunt’s personality is a perfect fit for the Chiefs. He is a dedicated, versatile running back that will look to improve his game every year. But in the beginning, he is in the shadows of all-time running backs. His work ethic is going to have to double, his commitment become a profession, and his style unbreakable. It takes a lot to become a Chiefs running back, but it is that personality that pushed Reid to turn Hunt into one.
Cheer for him early and often because this is going to be a special ride.

Tune in early next week for part two of this article as I break down Kareem Hunt in the film room.

KChiefs1 05-12-2017 08:37 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fac4bb3d65.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7c62e35cb8.png

bricks 05-12-2017 08:43 PM

1 fumble?!

Wow that's impressive. Dude can protect the ball.

KChiefs1 05-12-2017 08:48 PM

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...efs-backfield/

KAREEM HUNT’S AN ELUSIVE ADDITION TO THE CHIEFS BACKFIELD

The Chiefs traded picks 104, 132 and 245 in the 2017 draft to select Toledo’s Kareem Hunt with the 86th overall pick last month.

Hunt had a prolific career for the Rockets, grading positively every game a season ago, generating 986 rushing yards after contact and not recording a single drop in the passing game.

His elusive rating of 112.1 ranked him third among all FBS running backs with a minimum of 187 carries.

Despite the potential Hunt possesses, the Chiefs are planning on keeping veteran Spencer Ware as their lead back to start 2017, per a report by ESPN’s Adam Tiecher.

Ware emerged as the Chiefs’ best running back late in 2015 and since then has forced 51 missed tackles on 310 carries, generating an impressive 3.1 yards per carry after contact.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9ee4ed4722.png

Chiefs RBs - Elusiveness
Eric Eager | Analyst

Eric Eager joined Pro Football Focus in 2015. He is currently working on a number of analytics projects, primarily focused on the NFL.

Easy 6 05-12-2017 09:04 PM

Most people are sleeping on Hunt, the comparisons to Emmitt Smith are not without merit

His running style is the definition of 'bellcow'... Reid seems to be going away from the Charles/Westbrook model

Between Hunt and Ware we're definitely moving to more of a power run game

Mahomes will now be the homerun hitter, our backs just need to get us first downs and the occasional 10-30 yard chunks

pugsnotdrugs19 05-12-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12870508)
Most people are sleeping on Hunt, the comparisons to Emmitt Smith are not without merit

His running style is the definition of 'bellcow'... Reid seems to be going away from the Charles/Westbrook model

Between Hunt and Ware we're definitely moving to more of a power run game

Mahomes will now be the homerun hitter, our backs just need to get us first downs and the occasional 10-30 yard chunks

I'd like to get those two really rolling together like Atlanta uses Freeman and Coleman. Just a couple of well balanced runners who run hard as hell and can catch the ball.

This team is going to need a top notch run game to make an AFC Championship under Alex Smith in 2017, along with a top notch defense. Now, if Mahomes becomes as good as many including myself think he could be, it's a whole new level for the Chiefs. The offense could become something it hasn't been in nearly 15 years.

CanadaKC 05-12-2017 09:42 PM

Time for chiefs to pound some KHunt

kccrow 05-13-2017 10:21 AM

The Chiefs had their worst statistical output in the rushing yards since Reid has been here in 2016. They also had their lowest overall TD output (pass and rush). They have made a point to fix it so far with the moves in the draft and offseason.

Here's a statistical snapshot:

Rushing

2016 - 412 ATT - 1,748 YDS - 4.2 YPA - 15 TD
2015 - 436 ATT - 2,044 YDS - 4.7 YPA - 19 TD
2014 - 420 ATT - 1,918 YDS - 4.6 YPA - 18 TD
2013 - 442 ATT - 2,056 YDS - 4.7 YPA - 17 TD

Passing

2016 - 365/546 - 3,740 YDS - 7.2 YPA - 19 TD - 8 INT
2015 - 310/473 - 3,255 YDS - 7.4 YPA - 20 TD - 7 INT
2014 - 320/493 - 3,182 YDS - 7.0 YPA - 18 TD - 6 INT
2013 - 333/546 - 3,340 YDS - 6.5 YPA - 24 TD - 8 INT

Offensive Production

2016 - 958 ATT - 5,488 YDS - 5.7 YPA - 34 TD
2015 - 909 ATT - 5,299 YDS - 5.8 YPA - 39 TD
2014 - 913 ATT - 5,100 YDS - 5.6 YPA - 36 TD
2013 - 988 ATT - 5,396 YDS - 5.5 YPA - 41 TD

I may have missed a few "hidden TDs" in there somewhere, but this is what the NFL says happened. :)

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871145)
1) We were never the #1 running team since Smith has been here. ROFL
2) You thought Dorsey knew better than us on Mahomes but we see how that worked out. :D

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff2015
#1 rush rank in DVOA for 2015 season

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff
#20 rush rank in DVOA for 2016 season

You don't trade up for Kareem Hunt because your run game didn't blow chunks.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871261)
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff2015
#1 rush rank in DVOA for 2015 season

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff
#20 rush rank in DVOA for 2016 season

You don't trade up for Kareem Hunt because your run game didn't blow chunks.

Football outsiders DVOA is not the actual rushing rankings. Jesus.

You also don't trade up into the top 10 from 27 for Pat Mahomes if your QB isn't holding your entire team back. ROFLROFL

pugsnotdrugs19 05-14-2017 12:06 AM

Oh, and I can't wait to watch Kareem Hunt run the rock!

Reerun_KC 05-14-2017 04:48 AM

Is there a thread where we can read about this Hunt kid?

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-14-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 12871678)
Is there a thread where we can read about this Hunt kid?

Ask and you shall receive. :clap:

KChiefs1 05-21-2017 09:36 PM

https://twitter.com/kareemhunt7/stat...90649593511936
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f73dad5a90.png

https://twitter.com/mtrubisky10/stat...42727112130560

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-22-2017 06:48 AM

2016 Rushing TD's
Smith 48 Attempts: 5 Touchdowns
Ware 214 attempts: 3 Touchdowns
West 88 attempts: 1 Touchdown

"Our running game was fine!" - CP

SAUTO 05-22-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12883898)
2016 Rushing TD's

if you dont understand the difference in those stats you are more ignorant than i ever thought...

MIAdragon 05-22-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

2016 Rushing TD's

When defenses load the box because your shit QB is too afraid to thrown beyond 10 yards, that makes it that much harder to get the run game going.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-22-2017 07:17 AM

Yes, we drafted Kareem Hunt because our run game was fine, it was Alex's fault! He should push the pile!! - Ignorant CP posters (Who forget how dominant our run was in 2015)

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-22-2017 07:21 AM

"2015:
Alex Smith won't throw pass 10 yards, Run game excels.

2016:
Alex Smith won't throw pass 10 yards, Run game sucks/anemic/inept/below league average.

It's Alex's Fault. " - CP

BossChief 05-22-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

2016 Rushing TD's

Stop trying to make this another BS Alex smith thread.

This post is why Nobody likes you.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-22-2017 07:40 AM

Call the waambulance sweet heart. I'm THRILLED with the Kareem Hunt pick. Looks like Frank Gore as a runner and has exceptional ability to catch the ball in space.