ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The Android Tablet Watch Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243749)

penguinz 02-28-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8404927)
Apple would never treat you that way. ;)

Their "geniuses" are about as far from genius as one can get. ;)

Fish 04-19-2012 11:36 AM

Currently at woot.com:

Dell Streak 7” Tablet (Wi-Fi+3G/4G)

$179.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION:
Refurbished
PRODUCT:
1 Dell Streak 7 (Wi-Fi + 3G/4G), T-Mobile, Android 3.2, 16GB, Capacitive,1.3MP & 5MP Cams, SDHC

This is a pretty nice tablet if you're looking for a smaller one. We have one of these here at work, and I've always liked it..

Lzen 04-19-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8553458)
Currently at woot.com:

Dell Streak 7” Tablet (Wi-Fi+3G/4G)

$179.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION:
Refurbished
PRODUCT:
1 Dell Streak 7 (Wi-Fi + 3G/4G), T-Mobile, Android 3.2, 16GB, Capacitive,1.3MP & 5MP Cams, SDHC

This is a pretty nice tablet if you're looking for a smaller one. We have one of these here at work, and I've always liked it..

So I assume this is one that has to have a mobile plan? They also have a similar one on deals.woot that is $20 more but only does wi-fi.

Lzen 04-19-2012 12:02 PM

I bought this 7" iView tablet for my daughter a couple months ago. It's pretty darn good for a low priced tablet. Specs are up there with the better ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3003&Tpk=iview

A guy did all the work to figure out how to root this thing to ICS.
He goes by eyeoncomputers. You can find the vids on youtube as well as a link to the tutorials on the forum.

Fish 04-19-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8553516)
So I assume this is one that has to have a mobile plan? They also have a similar one on deals.woot that is $20 more but only does wi-fi.

You don't have to have a mobile plan to purchase it. The 3G/4G just won't work unless you do. It still has wifi.

And the wifi only model at sellout.woot is actually $40 cheaper, priced at $139. It doesn't cost more for wifi only.

kcxiv 05-02-2013 04:15 PM

anyone have a transformer infinity? im thinking of picking one up, its 399 on amazon. My laptop took a shit finally. It was ooold.

Anyways, i need to get something for relax surfing as i despise sitting at a desk these days.

DaFace 05-03-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9653338)
anyone have a transformer infinity? im thinking of picking one up, its 399 on amazon. My laptop took a shit finally. It was ooold.

Anyways, i need to get something for relax surfing as i despise sitting at a desk these days.

I've got the Prime, which is the Infinity's older brother. It's been fine for the most part, though (as I ranted about earlier in this thread) their tech support is basically non-existent. I haven't had any problems after the initial issue I sent it in for, though.

kcxiv 05-03-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9654762)
I've got the Prime, which is the Infinity's older brother. It's been fine for the most part, though (as I ranted about earlier in this thread) their tech support is basically non-existent. I haven't had any problems after the initial issue I sent it in for, though.

ahh. I been reading up on the Infinity. Nexus 10 and Galaxy Tab 2 and im leaning towards infinity or nexus 10. Only thing bad about the nexus 10 is it doesnt have a damn SD slot.

Prime better then the infinity? price difference is only 12 bucks.

007 05-03-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9655450)
ahh. I been reading up on the Infinity. Nexus 10 and Galaxy Tab 2 and im leaning towards infinity or nexus 10. Only thing bad about the nexus 10 is it doesnt have a damn SD slot.

Prime better then the infinity? price difference is only 12 bucks.

Just make sure you have at least 32 gb of on board if you get one without a SD slot. that space runs out fast.

kcxiv 05-03-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9655461)
Just make sure you have at least 32 gb of on board if you get one without a SD slot. that space runs out fast.

yeah, they all have expansion slots for it but the nexus 10, but their models are 32 and 64.

Im done with my kindle fire, its a piece of junk! lol the plug inside where you charge is loose and you have to wiggle it til it connects. Its bullshit. Plus outside of the ecosystem that amazon has, its very limited.

007 05-03-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9655471)
yeah, they all have expansion slots for it but the nexus 10, but their models are 32 and 64.

Im done with my kindle fire, its a piece of junk! lol the plug inside where you charge is loose and you have to wiggle it til it connects. Its bullshit. Plus outside of the ecosystem that amazon has, its very limited.

Yeah, the kindle is ****ing horrible. I hate that you are in the store 100% of the time.

As good as the Nexus seems, missing the SD card is a big deal for me. If I were purchasing right now, I would still go for a ASUS Transformer EeePad. Those things rock. We have one at work and I love it.

TrickyNicky 05-03-2013 04:53 PM

I've had an Infinity for a couple months now. It's a solid tablet. Way better than the Kindle Fire I had. I bought the Dock on sale for $90.

Anyone have experience rooting and loading custom ROMs?

kcxiv 05-03-2013 05:52 PM

hmm... i just found the Asus Vivo tab with windows 8. I love the fact that it has the desktop part. I could use torrents on there, on the androids im not sure i can!

50 bucks more and quite a bit more horse power. damn it!!!!!!!!! 450, but i may as well get what i want right?

WoodDraw 05-03-2013 06:56 PM

I'd recommend the nexus unless you really need the sd space. I've been able to cope just fine storing in cloud and downloading locally when needed. I have hit space limits a few time though when downloading media to watch when traveling.

But nexus devices are great as far as life cycle goes. I'd also wait until Google io in two weeks just to see what they announce there. The nexus program normally features heavily

kcxiv 05-03-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9655752)
I'd recommend the nexus unless you really need the sd space. I've been able to cope just fine storing in cloud and downloading locally when needed. I have hit space limits a few time though when downloading media to watch when traveling.

But nexus devices are great as far as life cycle goes. I'd also wait until Google io in two weeks just to see what they announce there. The nexus program normally features heavily

I just did some research and you can buy an OTG cable (they are pretty damn cheap), and download an app that will read thumbdrives. I think im going with the nexus 10. Its cheaper and i get expandable storage with an easy modification.

DaFace 05-04-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9655752)

If it were me, I'd probably go with the Nexus as well. I'm a sucker for the "pure" Google experience, and the Nexus devices are always going to be the ones that get new versions of Android first. I've got a Galaxy Nexus phone, and it's been great.

MTG#10 05-04-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 9655560)
I've had an Infinity for a couple months now. It's a solid tablet. Way better than the Kindle Fire I had. I bought the Dock on sale for $90.

Anyone have experience rooting and loading custom ROMs?

Ive rooted at least 30 different phones/tablets.

kcxiv 05-04-2013 11:06 AM

https://play.google.com/store/device...icrosite&hl=en

SO thats a good one to get? its off the google website its for 399, everywhere else even amazon they are a bit more expensive.

Its only the 16 gb version, but ill do the otg hack so storage wont be a problem for me.

MTG#10 05-04-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9656787)
https://play.google.com/store/device...icrosite&hl=en

SO thats a good one to get? its off the google website its for 399, everywhere else even amazon they are a bit more expensive.

Its only the 16 gb version, but ill do the otg hack so storage wont be a problem for me.

How soon do you need it? I would hold off as long as possible, I bet that thing will drop $100 within the next few months.

kcxiv 05-04-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 9656822)
How soon do you need it? I would hold off as long as possible, I bet that thing will drop $100 within the next few months.

Soon. lol Its been out 5 months already as it is. i wait a few more months, the next version will be out. I have no laptop it died. my kindle fire died. I hate sitting at the computer like i am right now. Desktops are only cool when your into PC gaming which i am not anymore. I have retired from the MMO scene. lol

399 is actually 100 dollars cheaper then the one on amazon.

MTG#10 05-04-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9656827)
Soon. lol Its been out 5 months already as it is. i wait a few more months, the next version will be out. I have no laptop it died. my kindle fire died. I hate sitting at the computer like i am right now. Desktops are only cool when your into PC gaming which i am not anymore. I have retired from the MMO scene. lol

399 is actually 100 dollars cheaper then the one on amazon.

Im just hard pressed to pay for electronics until I find an amazing deal on slickdeals.net. It seems like every time I buy something on my own, within a week I see it on there for $50+ less. Tabs have been dropping in price like crazy lately. Its actually only $56 cheaper than the same one on amazon, but that still looks like a really good deal.

EDIT: After tax and shipping its only $16 less than the one on Amazon.

kcxiv 05-04-2013 11:48 AM

and the amazon one with tax and shipping?

and i know all about price drops when i buy something, it happens regardless. lol

plus if you get the warranty and anything happens, down the line, you may get the upgraded version if they dont have the the older version in stock.

MTG#10 05-04-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9656874)
and the amazon one with tax and shipping?

and i know all about price drops when i buy something, it happens regardless. lol

plus if you get the warranty and anything happens, down the line, you may get the upgraded version if they dont have the the older version in stock.

Free shipping. No tax either in MO, but you may in Cali idk. Its a great tab, if you need it fast and dont mind watching it price drop soon grab one.

kcxiv 05-04-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 9656882)
Free shipping. No tax either in MO, but you may in Cali idk.

yeah, im in cali.

its 443 total for me off Googles store.

452 on amazon, there was no tax or shipping either.

lol, not much of a difference at all.

MTG#10 05-04-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9656885)
yeah, im in cali.

its 443 total for me off Googles store.

452 on amazon, there was no tax or shipping either.

lol, not much of a difference at all.

$9 is $9! lol

kcxiv 05-04-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 9656893)
$9 is $9! lol

ill get it next week, but ill probably go amazon, because they offer free 2 day shipping, cant beat that. lol

007 05-04-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 9656893)
$9 is $9! lol

LikeLMAO

AustinChief 05-05-2013 05:40 PM

Nook HD+ (now with full Google Play ecosystem) is $179 this weekend.

That's a ridiculously good deal on a VERY solid full size tablet.

I honestly think this is the perfect price/performance tablet right now but only at this price which is $50 less then normal.

Oh and you can add as much storage as you want with microSD cards.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1110060512

007 05-05-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9660257)
Nook HD+ (now with full Google Play ecosystem) is $179 this weekend.

That's a ridiculously good deal on a VERY solid full size tablet.

I honestly think this is the perfect price/performance tablet right now but only at this price which is $50 less then normal.

Oh and you can add as much storage as you want with microSD cards.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1110060512

Definitely better than Kindle Fire HD with that shitty Amazon app store that you can NEVER get out of.

kcxiv 05-05-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9660599)
Definitely better than Kindle Fire HD with that shitty Amazon app store that you can NEVER get out of.

haha, yeah, **** that, my nephew is 3 and lastnight his dad was over my house for the boxing and he got ahold of my kindle fire i looked over at him, and he was in the app store. i said who buddy, give that here lol.

I remember i tried to disable that and no go. Thats how i got the damn named Fruit Ninja haha

SLAG 05-05-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9655810)
I just did some research and you can buy an OTG cable (they are pretty damn cheap), and download an app that will read thumbdrives. I think im going with the nexus 10. Its cheaper and i get expandable storage with an easy modification.

I used the OTG Cable on my Nexus 7 8GB and it was great.

kcxiv 05-07-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9660924)
I used the OTG Cable on my Nexus 7 8GB and it was great.

Nice! ill more then likely go with the nexus 10, but the Surface Tablets with windows 8 have me intrigued! lol

kcxiv 05-13-2013 12:29 PM

Well, i ordered the nexus 10. Ordered a OTG cable. Now, i just have to wait for them to come in.

Amazon's price went up and it ended up being 488, so i said naw, i bought it from google play for 448

WoodDraw 05-13-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9678841)
Well, i ordered the nexus 10. Ordered a OTG cable. Now, i just have to wait for them to come in.

Amazon's price went up and it ended up being 488, so i said naw, i bought it from google play for 448

Be sure to let us know what you think. I don't think you'll regret going Nexus over some of the Android options. Especially for tablets, it's the only "brand" I'd recommend.

kcxiv 05-13-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9679227)
Be sure to let us know what you think. I don't think you'll regret going Nexus over some of the Android options. Especially for tablets, it's the only "brand" I'd recommend.

i was going between the TF prime NExus 10 and a windows 8 tablet, but after some research and looking at reviews, nexus 10 seemed like the best option.

Just have to wait for Google to send it. Hopefully i get it by friday.

kcxiv 05-15-2013 03:53 PM

Just got my Nexus 10, so far i am loving it, thing runs smooth as butter. only messed with it for a few min, took a few pictures, just tested out the basic's. Its my first android device, so i need to get familiar with it.

DaFace 05-15-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9684911)
Just got my Nexus 10, so far i am loving it, thing runs smooth as butter. only messed with it for a few min, took a few pictures, just tested out the basic's. Its my first android device, so i need to get familiar with it.

Excellent. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

kcxiv 05-16-2013 01:37 AM

What's some good apps to have for this thing?

Buns 05-16-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9686218)
What's some good apps to have for this thing?

I have a nexus 7 and I'm up and buzzed, soooooo.....
Reddit is fun = goodbye life
Zinio - see if your library supports it, mine offers a shit load of free magazines, monthly
GoComics - Garfield, peanuts, etc, for free, entire collections
500px - beautiful pictures, instagram for non shit heads
8tracks-introduce a lil anarchy to your playlist
Google keep- because **** evernote
Overdrive-for library books; also get kindle; lots of free legal books online for both
Hulu plus and hbogo are great if you have the service, as I assume Netflix is
Word hero is a boggle type online game where you compete. It's pretty fun.
Get amazon appstore and get the free app of the day, but get the app through chrome. Sometimes they're good.

007 05-16-2013 02:28 AM

i just don't get the love for Reddit at all.

DaFace 05-16-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9686234)

The secret of reddit is signing in and customizing your list of subreddits. If all you do is go to the front page, you won't like it much unless you're really into memes and cats. If you take the time to get rid of most of the default subreddits and add others for topics you're interested in, it's a fantastic way of keeping up with news and content across all areas of the internet.

kcxiv 05-16-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtua Chief (Post 9686222)
I have a nexus 7 and I'm up and buzzed, soooooo.....
Reddit is fun = goodbye life
Zinio - see if your library supports it, mine offers a shit load of free magazines, monthly
GoComics - Garfield, peanuts, etc, for free, entire collections
500px - beautiful pictures, instagram for non shit heads
8tracks-introduce a lil anarchy to your playlist
Google keep- because **** evernote
Overdrive-for library books; also get kindle; lots of free legal books online for both
Hulu plus and hbogo are great if you have the service, as I assume Netflix is
Word hero is a boggle type online game where you compete. It's pretty fun.
Get amazon appstore and get the free app of the day, but get the app through chrome. Sometimes they're good.

so far i just got like the basics.

Facebook, Twitter, Pandora, Netflix, Xfinity player (i got it free with my internet), Kindle, a few basic games, FRUIT NINJA! lol

Amazon Appstore i need to get, i loved it on my Kindle Fire, they gave away alot of nice apps.

DaFace 05-16-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9687139)
so far i just got like the basics.

Facebook, Twitter, Pandora, Netflix, Xfinity player (i got it free with my internet), Kindle, a few basic games, FRUIT NINJA! lol

Amazon Appstore i need to get, i loved it on my Kindle Fire, they gave away alot of nice apps.

FYI, you should still have access to all of the apps you got on your Kindle Fire without having to buy them again or wait for them to go on special.

007 05-16-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9687321)
FYI, you should still have access to all of the apps you got on your Kindle Fire without having to buy them again or wait for them to go on special.

Unless they were Kindle Fire specific. I've run into that before.

Mojo Rising 05-16-2013 07:38 PM

I like the Dolphin browser (it allows tabbed browsing) and SwiftkeyX keyboard (excellent word predictor, I don't swype.)

kcxiv 05-17-2013 12:38 AM

4.2.2 doesnt have the Kindle app store up anymore, i had to get it by other means.

Anyways, i cant install batman :( its configured for Kindle fire edition. damn it. lol

Buns 05-17-2013 12:45 AM

Kindle app store? Amazon app store always had to be installed by downloading the apk from amazon and installing, rather than from Google play.

007 05-17-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtua Chief (Post 9688331)
Kindle app store? Amazon app store always had to be installed by downloading the apk from amazon and installing, rather than from Google play.

Yep, and checking Unknown Sources.

kcxiv 05-17-2013 01:10 AM

Well amazon App. Im New to all this lol.

I'm used of iOS where nothing is customizable.

007 05-17-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9688340)
Well amazon App. Im New to all this lol.

I'm used of iOS where nothing is customizable.

Welcome to the light!!!!!

Mr. Plow 05-17-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Rising (Post 9687830)
I like the Dolphin browser (it allows tabbed browsing) and SwiftkeyX keyboard (excellent word predictor, I don't swype.)

From someone that was completely comfortable with swype that just recently decided to give Swiftkey a try, it is a difficult transition on some things. Overall, I'll probably stick with SK because the more I use it, the more comfortable I get with it.

Mr. Plow 05-17-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9686234)

Like Daface said, it's all about customizing it to show what you are interested in. Once that's done, it's awesome.

WoodDraw 05-17-2013 02:31 PM

You have to side load the amazon store so you can get around Google play rules.

I'd start by just going through the play store top list. And find a few things to test out that screen!

007 05-18-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9688485)
Like Daface said, it's all about customizing it to show what you are interested in. Once that's done, it's awesome.

I messed with it for about 2 weeks and it just didn't offer what I already get from CP.

kcxiv 05-18-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690189)
I messed with it for about 2 weeks and it just didn't offer what I already get from CP.

yeah, new streams i dont care for. anything i honestly read up on, i can get on twitter and espn.com/mlb.com/nba.com and NFL.com maybe some fox sports even.

I dont really **** with world or local news n all that shit, its too depressing. Chiefs n Dodgers bring me enough of that. haha That and regular life. lol

still loveing my Nexus 10. So awesome Utorrent works on Android. Im very happy with it. thing takes beautiful pictures its got what i want. lol The damn screen is absolutely beautiful as well.

kcxiv 05-20-2013 09:03 PM

google voice is awesome. I know you can use it from any device, but getting a new number n texting friends/family and ****ing with them and giving them details about their lives and just messing with them is great fun! lol

007 07-25-2013 01:53 AM

The new Nexus 7 comes out next week. They raised the price $30 gave it a HD screen and not much else. Still no microSD slot.

Also, while not android, Dell just put out a new Windows RT tablet but decided to only put a dual core processor in it.

BourbonMan 07-25-2013 08:21 AM

Put my pre-order in yesterday for the new Nexus 7.

Mr. Laz 07-25-2013 10:52 AM

btw ... still using my Transformer infinity 32g and works great.

have the keyboard dock that is easy to use and provides extra battery life and keys/touchpad whenever you need it.

runs full HD out to a 42 inch t.v. easily while still on the low power setting

works good as ereader

quick link settings allows you to turn the wifi/bluetooth/sync/brightness off and on to fit battery usage to situation is great

don't use GPS so i don't know how well that works

doesn't run flash very well but none of them do as far as i know

speakers are crap

no buyer's remorse

KevB 07-25-2013 04:05 PM

I had an HP Touchpad that has been dead for the last 6 months. I can't revive it. Tried all the tricks other than the really geeky stuff I read online where you crack it open and mess with the power source. I also have a Galaxy Note 2, which is a big screen but doesn't give me the size I'd like with some media (Netflix, HBO Go, etc.). I'd love to get a new 10" tablet, but just having trouble justifying the cost. The Nexus 7 is reasonably affordable, but probably not big enough given I already have the Note 2.

AustinChief 07-25-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9834063)
I had an HP Touchpad that has been dead for the last 6 months. I can't revive it. Tried all the tricks other than the really geeky stuff I read online where you crack it open and mess with the power source.

This sounds like a challenge!

ok this may sound stupid but have you made sure it isn't as simple as the USB cable itself? The Touchpad requires all the pins on the cable to charge. So if you have a bad cable and then swap in a different cable.. you need to be absolutely certain the new cable has all the pins. Oftentimes the cables that come with phones only have two pins since that is all they need to charge.

By dead, I assume you mean you are getting NOTHING, no lights no response at all.

jiveturkey 07-25-2013 04:30 PM

I had the original kindle fire that I had to load a custom ROM on it due to it's terrible interface. It died about 6 months back and I've been holding out for the new 7. My phone is a Galaxy Nexus and I really like it.

KevB 07-25-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9834088)
This sounds like a challenge!

ok this may sound stupid but have you made sure it isn't as simple as the USB cable itself? The Touchpad requires all the pins on the cable to charge. So if you have a bad cable and then swap in a different cable.. you need to be absolutely certain the new cable has all the pins. Oftentimes the cables that come with phones only have two pins since that is all they need to charge.

By dead, I assume you mean you are getting NOTHING, no lights no response at all.

Tried different cables, also have the Touchstone....no go. I get nothing. No lights, no glow under the home button, nothing. Left it charging for several hours, held down all the various button combos...tried everything.

007 07-25-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9834063)
I had an HP Touchpad that has been dead for the last 6 months. I can't revive it. Tried all the tricks other than the really geeky stuff I read online where you crack it open and mess with the power source. I also have a Galaxy Note 2, which is a big screen but doesn't give me the size I'd like with some media (Netflix, HBO Go, etc.). I'd love to get a new 10" tablet, but just having trouble justifying the cost. The Nexus 7 is reasonably affordable, but probably not big enough given I already have the Note 2.

The Nook HD+ is pretty much the equivalent of the HP Touchpad as far as features. Plus it has a better display. If I had to replace my Touchpad today, the HD+ is what I would buy as I have compared them side by side.

AustinChief 07-25-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9834126)
Tried different cables, also have the Touchstone....no go. I get nothing. No lights, no glow under the home button, nothing. Left it charging for several hours, held down all the various button combos...tried everything.

ok, you may have to let it charge for 8+ hours PLUGGED in to get anything back. Obviously you aren't get anywhere until you get at least some activity.

Try this... plug it in overnight (or anything around 8 hours) then hold power and press home(center) button 10 times OR it could be vice versa... hold the home button and press the power button rapidly about 10 times Let us know if there is any response. This may totally reset it though, not sure, so expect to lose data...

penguinz 07-25-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9832978)
The new Nexus 7 comes out next week. They raised the price $30 gave it a HD screen and not much else. Still no microSD slot.

Also, while not android, Dell just put out a new Windows RT tablet but decided to only put a dual core processor in it.

The Nexus products will NEVER have this. And it is more than just HD. More RAM, faster CPU/GPU, rear camera, etc...

007 07-25-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9834797)
The Nexus products will NEVER have this. And it is more than just HD. More RAM, faster CPU/GPU, rear camera, etc...

I won't even look at tablets that don't have expandable storage anymore. Only reason I got the Touchpad was because of the firesale.

penguinz 07-26-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9834960)
I won't even look at tablets that don't have expandable storage anymore. Only reason I got the Touchpad was because of the firesale.

You are likely to see removable storage go away completely in the near future. In tablets and phones.

Besides.. OTG allows you to hook a USB drive up to it when needed.

kcxiv 07-26-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9835445)
You are likely to see removable storage go away completely in the near future. In tablets and phones.

yeah, its not a big deal at all. Thats why i bought me the nexus 10 16 gb. OTG cable and a nice thumb drive that i can easily hook up to my computer and do FASTER transfers.

Not to mention i can use that thumbdrive and connect it to my tv and play what i have on there.

KevB 07-26-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9834766)
ok, you may have to let it charge for 8+ hours PLUGGED in to get anything back. Obviously you aren't get anywhere until you get at least some activity.

Try this... plug it in overnight (or anything around 8 hours) then hold power and press home(center) button 10 times OR it could be vice versa... hold the home button and press the power button rapidly about 10 times Let us know if there is any response. This may totally reset it though, not sure, so expect to lose data...

Left it plugged in overnight, using the HP charging cord that came with the device. Unplugged and tried every button combination imaginable. Never blinked once. Dead as can be.

AustinChief 07-26-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9837200)
Left it plugged in overnight, using the HP charging cord that came with the device. Unplugged and tried every button combination imaginable. Never blinked once. Dead as can be.

Well hell! That sux. Not much you can do without taking it apart at this point and I doubt it's worth that much effort.

I have heard from a few people that the 10X button press while holding down the other button sometimes has to be done a few times to get it to take. And that you need to push the button fairly rapidly. Worth a shot but sounds like you may have exhausted every option.

KevB 07-26-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9837217)
Well hell! That sux. Not much you can do without taking it apart at this point and I doubt it's worth that much effort.

I have heard from a few people that the 10X button press while holding down the other button sometimes has to be done a few times to get it to take. And that you need to push the button fairly rapidly. Worth a shot but sounds like you may have exhausted every option.

I bought 2 back when they were going cheap, then sold one to cover much of the cost for both. So at the end of the day, I'm not much out of pocket from a $ standpoint. But it's hard for me to justify buying another tablet, and I've been itchy for one the last few weeks. Oh well.

KevB 07-26-2013 09:55 PM

The strangest thing is that when I plug it in to my pc, hold the power and home at the same time for 20 seconds.....my pc makes a noise after 20 or so seconds as if recognizing some activity is happening on the tablet. However, the tablet doesn't show up as an attached device in Explorer. Just strange. I think I've had enough though. I've been defeated by technology.

007 07-27-2013 01:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9835445)

See, I think that is just stupid. A few bucks to have an SD card slot built in should not be too much to ask. I would rather have the built in option than to have to carry around some extra ****ing device to get the extra storage.

If and when that becomes the ONLY option I won't have a choice but until that time, I won't look at a tablet that doesn't have the expandable storage option unless it is a firesale like the touchpad. Oh, and for the record, yes I have used up all 32gb of my touchpad before. Annoyed the crap out of me.

EDIT
attached a pic of how ridiculous this OTG setup would be for a Touchpad.

DaveNull 07-27-2013 08:02 AM

It's not just the cost, its a matter of figuring out where to put it in the device.

Do those tablets not have bluetooth?

kcxiv 07-27-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9837659)
It's not just the cost, its a matter of figuring out where to put it in the device.

Do those tablets not have bluetooth?

They do.