ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The Great Punter Battle of 2020: Townsend vs. Newsome (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330921)

The Franchise 04-29-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 14942649)
I think henne can hold the ball for extra points.

Have Townsend do it. He actually has speed.

Dante84 05-19-2020 01:06 PM

Well, that settles that, probably....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In today&#39;s zoom call, special teams coordinator Dave Toub said he had Tommy Townsend as the best-rated punter in the draft class. The Chiefs signed Townsend as an UDFA.</p>&mdash; Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/1262821020051951621?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 19, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dante84 05-19-2020 01:08 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tommy Townsend was Dave Toub&#39;s No. 1 punter coming out of college this year, per Toub.<br><br>Townsend (Florida) signed as a UDFA following the draft.</p>&mdash; BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsReporter/status/1262820965475647493?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 19, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dunerdr 05-19-2020 01:09 PM

how come theres never been a kicker punter combo?

Mecca 05-19-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14979363)
how come theres never been a kicker punter combo?

While the idea sounds great in theory, that would really overwork the hell out of the dudes leg and if he were to get hurt you'd have no option in a game.

smithandrew051 05-19-2020 01:24 PM

I think it’s smart to prioritize having a punter with a big leg instead of one who’s more accurate. With this offense, I would more likely to go for it when we have fourth down around mid field. Having a punter that can flip the field is more important with Mahomes.

TomBarndtsTwin 05-19-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14979393)
I think it’s smart to prioritize having a punter with a big leg instead of one who’s more accurate. With this offense, I would more likely to go for it when we have fourth down around mid field. Having a punter that can flip the field is more important with Mahomes.

Hadn't thought about it that way, that's a good point.

Now, that being said, I know I'll be cussing him the first time he shanks one out of bounds in a key spot . . . . . :D

Dante84 05-19-2020 01:29 PM

If I remember correctly, Toub said something similar about Butker after we got him off of Carolina's practice squad.

DJ's left nut 05-19-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14979393)

Gimme whoever wins the holding competition.

And I'm serious. They're !@#$ing punters. Job #1 is just don't shank it. And yeah, ideally you keep it out of the end zone, but as you've noted, unless you're punting inside their territory, even the damage from a touchback isn't always that bad (and Colquitt had gotten really bad about punts downed at the 17; whoopee!).

There's likely going to be very little difference in their respective contributions as punters. If one guy is shanking every 5th punt for 15-20 yards, then you can't have that and the other wins by default. But if both guys are giving representative efforts, I couldn't care less about a 1 yard difference in season-long Net Punting Average.

At that point give me the guy that's gonna handle a low/high snap and get it down for Butker. Extra points aren't sure things anymore either so you gotta be able to get those down because at the new distance, the timing actually matters.

If the two guys are even close in terms of their punting performance, I'll take the slightly worse punter if he's a better holder.

TomBarndtsTwin 05-19-2020 01:36 PM

Yeah, agree on the holder part as well.

FWIW, Townsend held for kicks in college, Newsome did not.

Yet another reason he has the edge going into this . . . .

Dante84 05-19-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14979420)
Gimme whoever wins the holding competition.

And I'm serious. They're !@#$ing punters. Job #1 is just don't shank it. And yeah, ideally you keep it out of the end zone, but as you've noted, unless you're punting inside their territory, even the damage from a touchback isn't always that bad (and Colquitt had gotten really bad about punts downed at the 17; whoopee!).

There's likely going to be very little difference in their respective contributions as punters. If one guy is shanking every 5th punt for 15-20 yards, then you can't have that and the other wins by default. But if both guys are giving representative efforts, I couldn't care less about a 1 yard difference in season-long Net Punting Average.

At that point give me the guy that's gonna handle a low/high snap and get it down for Butker. Extra points aren't sure things anymore either so you gotta be able to get those down because at the new distance, the timing actually matters.

If the two guys are even close in terms of their punting performance, I'll take the slightly worse punter if he's a better holder.

Backup QB could always serve as a holder as well. Hell, even a backup WR. I hope they open the holder competition to anyone until they get the best guy.

DJ's left nut 05-19-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14941276)
This all just became writing on the wall last year, when Fox was in camp, that was a lets see if this guy is better.

Then Colquitt had a worse season, it became pretty obvious it had to happen and they'd been looking at options.

Still can't quite understand why they didn't grab Michael Dickson a couple years back. I've never seen a punter just !@#$ing own a game like he did in the bowl game against Mizzou. It was just unreal.

Then he makes 1st team All Pro as a rookie.

We'd have saved about $4.3 million on the cap over the last 2 years with Dickson instead of Colquitt. It would've cost us Armani Watts which is...y'know...a pretty nominal cost.

Colquitt had been in sharp decline for several years and the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze from a cap standpoint. Another $4+ million in rollover wouldn't hurt to have in our pockets right now.

DJ's left nut 05-19-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 14979432)
Backup QB could always serve as a holder as well. Hell, even a backup WR. I hope they open the holder competition to anyone until they get the best guy.

Sure, but then again, don't you want your backup out there doing film study and game prep (if only for the scout team) instead of chilling with the STs unit and taking snaps?

I used to always wonder why the backup QB or other guys don't hold more (makes a more viable weapon on fakes) but I think it's just a practice time issue. They only get so much time out there and ultimately all these backup guys have better ways to spend their time, even the backup WRs who are going to be part of the return or coverage units during STs drills.

smithandrew051 05-19-2020 01:44 PM

The Chiefs have come a long way.

One of the biggest debates in the offseason is “who will be our holder”...

O.city 05-19-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14979434)
Still can't quite understand why they didn't grab Michael Dickson a couple years back. I've never seen a punter just !@#$ing own a game like he did in the bowl game against Mizzou. It was just unreal.

Then he makes 1st team All Pro as a rookie.

We'd have saved about $4.3 million on the cap over the last 2 years with Dickson instead of Colquitt. It would've cost us Armani Watts which is...y'know...a pretty nominal cost.

Colquitt had been in sharp decline for several years and the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze from a cap standpoint. Another $4+ million in rollover wouldn't hurt to have in our pockets right now.

Financially for sure. But IMO, it was worth it to have Colquitt around for everything that went down. He deserved it.