ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Houses blowing up all over (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317425)

banecat 09-14-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 13729779)
I remember when I used to eat sardines for dinner

What's wrong with sardines?

banecat 09-14-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13729653)
:hmmm::LOL::hmmm:

Explain to us how easy this is I could enjoy a good laugh Stargazer. Dave Loon seeing Ruskies paratroopers in the sky out his kitchen window run loon run the Russians are coming.

Folks wait for the the investigation dont fall for some star photographer to speculate what happened. As someone who works for a company in the energy field especially in gas pipelines and particularly natural gas I can think of a lot of things that could cause this and not involve a Ruskie hack. Geez what a loon.

Trump is the greatest president ever. He's better than Washington, Lincoln, and Reagan combined and doubled. We is so lucky to be havin' him in charge

Dave Lane 09-14-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13729775)
this is my industry - it's not easy at all. There'd be layers of notifications prior to anyone actually penetrating any controls.

You may know that but it’s apparent you don’t understand computers.

srvy 09-14-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 13730429)
Trump is the greatest president ever. He's better than Washington, Lincoln, and Reagan combined and doubled. We is so lucky to be havin' him in charge

Get back on your meds fatty.

srvy 09-14-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 13730396)
I think they ended up inspecting it and it was over 1500 miles of pipeline they ended up replacing because of faulty welds....I really don;t know too much about that stuff but damn what a cluster F

They are replacing pipelines all over the us 1500 miles isnt unusual. Its amazing really they have held up this well over the years. Lots of speculation from the engineers in the office today about what may have happened. I guess we will know when we know.

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-14-2018 04:24 PM

Amazing w're not seeing anything on the news. I guess the Hurricane is dominating

SuperBowl4 09-14-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13729365)
This is one of the most bizzare things I have heard. Saw it on the news. It brings up a lot of conspiracy theories.

Like advanced gas meters/smart gas meter readers?

Pablo 09-14-2018 05:05 PM

This is happening to Pats fans?

Great news.

Ming the Merciless 09-14-2018 05:35 PM

1500 miles all in one place (san bruno area) after 8 people died and costing almost a billion dollars is pretty unusual.

My guess is something similarly unusual will happen in mass

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-14-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 13730735)
Like advanced gas meters/smart gas meter readers?

Right, If they're tied to a computer they can be hacked.

suzzer99 09-14-2018 05:50 PM

Dozens of Massachusetts Homes Exploded. A Gas Expert Weighs In.

Quote:

Late Thursday, dozens of explosions erupted in three towns in northern Massachusetts. As many as 70 fires, explosions, and suspected gas leaks were reported to state police, with at least 39 homes affected in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover. One person was killed when a chimney collapsed on his car, and at least 25 more people were reportedly treated for injuries.

In a statement, Columbia Gas said a total of 8,600 customers will be without service until safety teams can ensure that their homes and businesses are leak-free.

A widespread series of explosions like the one in Massachusetts is “really rare,” says Robert Jackson, a professor of energy and environmental science at Stanford University. Jackson’s studies focus on the environmental impacts of natural gas, and he has mapped thousands of gas leaks in cities around the country, including Boston. He told me that such an event is “unprecedented in recent years,” since explosions are usually isolated to a single building.

Jackson is not involved in investigating the Massachusetts explosions, but he was able to offer some insight into what could have caused such a strange, dramatic incident. The most likely explanation, he says, is the one most reports have speculated: Pipelines in the towns became suddenly over-pressurized. In the same way that high-voltage power lines traverse hundreds of miles before breaking off into lower-voltage tributaries in neighborhoods, natural-gas delivery systems consist of both long-distance, high-pressure pipelines and local ones that are only nominally pressurized and deliver gas into homes. Neighborhood pipelines are usually designed to withstand two to three times their normal operating pressure, but any increase makes gas more likely to escape.

If local lines indeed were suddenly inundated with high-pressure gas, Jackson says, that could result in an explosion in one of two ways. First, the pipes themselves could explode. Second—and more likely, according to Jackson—excess pressure could have caused gas to leak out of pipes and valves and into homes, where it could be ignited by a pilot light and send whole buildings up in flames.

In most cases, according to Jackson, such rapid pressurization would be caused by a failure at a valve that separates high- and low-pressure pipelines. As for what would lead to such a failure, Jackson says, it could be that “somebody made a mistake. To flip the wrong valve, leave a junction open. Human error is the most common source of natural-gas explosions.”

Columbia Gas’s website announced an improvement campaign just a few hours before the explosions began, though no evidence has yet linked the explosions to pipeline updates or botched repairs. (A spokesperson for Columbia Gas did not respond to a request for comment.)

A flush of gas could also occur if older valves leak or break. In 2015, Jackson and his colleagues found that cities like Cincinnati that replaced their aging pipelines had 90 percent fewer gas leaks a mile than older cities like Boston that relied on older, cast-iron pipes. Across the country, Jackson says, many local pipelines are more than a century old—including in Boston, the closest major city his team studied to Thursday’s explosions.

Even though natural-gas leaks are fairly common, serious consequences aren’t. From 1998 to 2017, 15 people a year, on average, died in incidents related to gas distribution in the U.S. “Significant incidents”—those that do things such as cause an injury or death, result in at least $50,000 of damage, or lead to a fire or explosion—happen about 286 times a year.

That might sound like a lot. But then again, the streets of Boston carry an average of four gas leaks a mile.

srvy 09-14-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 13730791)

Pretty much what was discussed at office today along with a few other scenarios. I dont like to speculate seeing as its not been revealed whether its Transport line or residential supply lines that I briefly mentioned in another post.

srvy 09-14-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 13730775)
1500 miles all in one place (san bruno area) after 8 people died and costing almost a billion dollars is pretty unusual.

My guess is something similarly unusual will happen in mass

Ive worked preliminary and construction stacking of pipelines all over Canada and US all about that length. several were brand new and a few were rehabs where the new was laid right next to the old. When it was finished and tested the old was deactivated and removed. These go in phases with a lot of pipeliners in different segments the construction is surprisingly fast.

banecat 09-14-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13730649)
Get back on your meds fatty.

You don't think that Trump is the greatest president ever? And isn't fatty the pet name you have for your wife?

srvy 09-14-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 13730822)
You don't think that Trump is the greatest president ever? And isn't fatty the pet name you have for your wife?

Personally I think our 1st President was the best. In may lifetime so far Ronald Reagan but Trump hasnt been to bad the rest have been turds since I started giving a shit about politics.

My wife is a tiny little Asian Filipina that could blow away in a strong wind. Even if she was fat I wouldnt love her any less.

Im sure someone loves you to fatty.