ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Let's talk blood sugar (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316706)

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-09-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13667016)
Needles?

You'll have to get those from rabblerouser

otherstar 08-09-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13666982)
Stupid question, cannot all diabetes be controlled by diet alone ?

It can, IF a person looses a lot of weight, keeps it off, eats right, exercises, etc. I'd have to get my a1c below 6 and keep it there for awhile before my doc would consider that. An example of a diabetic that has gotten himself off of meds is Drew Carey, who did, and does the things I mentioned.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-09-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

There are two types of diabetes: Type 1 and Type 2.

Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder where your body destroys the beta cells of the pancreas, the cells that produce insulin. As a result, you end up with extremely high blood sugars but will often be quite skinny (because insulin leads to you storing sugar in your cells, which is then converted, but that's another discussion).

Type 2 is a disorder caused by the body becoming fatigued from persistently high blood sugars. Type 2 diabetics are typically overweight and have other metabolic illnesses (high blood pressure, high cholesterol/triglycerides).

Treatment for Type 1 diabetes requires insulin for your entire life. There are a variety of treatments for Type 2 diabetes, and numerous classes of medications meant to increase your insulin secretion, stimulate or restriction numerous body processes, or even pee out the excess sugar. As Type 2 diabetes progresses, patients generally need to go on insulin because their beta cells fail.

You can control Type 2 with diet and exercise, but the truth is that most people eventually need more and more meds, ultimately leading to insulin replacement.

otherstar 08-09-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13667562)
Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder where your body destroys the beta cells of the pancreas, the cells that produce insulin. As a result, you end up with extremely high blood sugars but will often be quite skinny (because insulin leads to you storing sugar in your cells, which is then converted, but that's another discussion).

To add: with Type 1 diabetes, your body is not making insulin at all, or makes very little. A great number of Type 1 diabetics use an insulin pump to help regulate their blood sugar.

RippedmyFlesh 08-10-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

I went from 290 to 220 lifted weights every other day and walked 3-4 miles at least a day . I went to baseball practice and played in games couple times a week. Not you Hog because you are good people but people who think that can go ****ing die in an aids fire.

PS
You can get better if you are type II. Not healed but improve. I take less than half the amount of insulin I used to take. I ****ing hate the stigma of diabetes I am stronger and in better shape than most people my age.

RippedmyFlesh 08-10-2018 11:01 AM

They also show these fat soft cucks in diabetes commercials on tv and it drives me ****ing crazy. ****ing show someone is isn't fat slow and soft. All diabetics aren't like that.

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2018 11:04 AM

6.1 A1C this week. Feelin' good.

Mosbonian 08-10-2018 11:27 AM

I got diagnosed 18 months ago....no sodas... no sugar since.

My A1C measured last month was 5.2.....my Blood Sugar averages 95 to 100 with some days slightly higher and some lower.

My lowest was 62....and I could tell it right away. I keep Glucose tablets at home and in my work satchel.

As for the testing....I get my meter, strips, lancets and my needles for my insulin shot free of charge. I only pay for my insulin...the company health insurance is great.

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2018 11:29 AM

Am I the only one that uses low blood sugar as a way to get something I don't normally get, like a little bit of ice cream or something?

Mosbonian 08-10-2018 11:30 AM

And for those who skip meals....that puzzles me because it seems all the things I read on the Mayo Clinic website say that is not healthy for diabetics.

I actually eat less at each meal but eat healthy more times during the day.

lewdog 08-10-2018 01:11 PM

OP is overweight.

TLO 08-10-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13669085)
OP is overweight.

Slightly, yes.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-10-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13668861)
And for those who skip meals....that puzzles me because it seems all the things I read on the Mayo Clinic website say that is not healthy for diabetics.

I actually eat less at each meal but eat healthy more times during the day.

In an acute care setting, clinicians worry more about lows than highs, unless you are in DKA. You're right.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-10-2018 01:58 PM

Too much Dr Pepper

RippedmyFlesh 08-10-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13669193)
In an acute care setting, clinicians worry more about highs than lows, unless you are in DKA. You're right.

And that is the biggest mistake I have made in my life. When I was diagnosed
I drove alot for work and my biggest fear was bottoming out while on the thruway during a blizzard. Very irrational thinking but I ran high because of my illogical paranoia and payed for it.