ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Ben Watson: Harris Replacement (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314540)

Mecca 03-21-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13481406)
Travis is gone but I see Charles is still on the roster. I don't know - I'm with you though - Lewis would have been a little better of a pick up - for an older player.

This staff loves Harris, I'll be surprised if they move on from him even with another addition to the position.

Watson however would be helpful if you want to play 3 TE's or give guys a breather since he actually can do everything you want.

JakeF 03-21-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 13481335)
And that was with a Ravens passing offense that was a ****ing mess.

2nd on the team in targets, 1st in receptions, 2nd in receiving yardage, tied for 1st in TD's.

He'll be a solid 2nd TE here, IMO.

A tightend often benefits from a poor offense.

TNTEICHER 03-21-2018 09:06 AM

A body to put next to Fisher.

JakeF 03-21-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 13481404)
Demetrius Harris and Alex Smith were a bad fit.

It's more difficult for receivers to maintain focus with QBs that lack arm strength and throw with little to no anticipation, and you are asking a guy that has very little experience to grow into a reliable receiver with that QB.

Don't blame Alex Smith for Harris being an idiot. Hill and Kelce didn't have a problem developing with Smith.

milkman 03-21-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13481415)
A tightend often benefits from a poor offense.

It's also, however, no coincidence that many/most of the best TEs have played with some of the best QBs in the game.

milkman 03-21-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13481421)
Don't blame Alex Smith for Harris being an idiot. Hill and Kelce didn't have a problem developing with Smith.

Those guys spent their entire life working to get the the NFL.

And while I hate Alex Smith, this isn't about blame.

JakeF 03-21-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 13481422)
It's also, however, no coincidence that many/most of the best TEs have played with some of the best QBs in the game.

Everyone benefits from an elite QB. I'm just saying that passing to the tight end is easier. Look at how well Tony Gonzalez did in terrible offenses. A play turns to crap and the QB panics and dumps it off to the TE. I'm not sure the Damon Huard looked at anyone else but Tony for entire drives at a time.

Best22 03-21-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 13481432)

If Harris in disinterested, then it's his fault, not Smith's.

It doesn't matter if he wasn't a natural football player. That's 1 million dollars a year he's making. If he can't get motivated for that $$, boot him

The Franchise 03-21-2018 09:16 AM

The offense could use some veterans. There really isn't any leadership on that side of the ball right now. Mahomes will/should step up but we need someone to rally the troops. Offense could use a little veteran leadership where the defense needs an injection of youth.

O.city 03-21-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13481439)
The offense could use some veterans. There really isn't any leadership on that side of the ball right now. Mahomes will/should step up but we need someone to rally the troops. Offense could use a little veteran leadership where the defense needs an injection of youth.

Got some good vets on the OL.

JakeF 03-21-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 13481432)

Ok, I guess I misunderstood.

Harris is an idiot. It was almost automatic that after a good play Harris would do something stupid. Maybe an elite QB would scare him into playing better but I just don't see it.

SuperBowl4 03-21-2018 09:20 AM

The Chiefs should try and get the TE the Jaguars just released

The Franchise 03-21-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13481441)
Got some good vets on the OL.

Schwartz would probably be the only one and he doesn't look like the outspoken leader type.

JakeF 03-21-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 13481446)
The Chiefs should try and get the TE the Jaguars just released

Isn't Lewis pretty much done? He's been in the league for like 14 seasons.

milkman 03-21-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13481442)
Ok, I guess I misunderstood.

Harris is an idiot. It was almost automatic that after a good play Harris would do something stupid. Maybe an elite QB would scare him into playing better but I just don't see it.

Harris, like a lot of other, more experienced, receivers, made difficult catches, while dropping easy catches consistently.

Easy catches turn into drops because they start looking to make plays before they've secured the ball.

Throws that get there before they have time to think don't require that extended focus.