ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls, Allow Them to Earn Eagle Scout Rank (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310745)

cooper barrett 10-11-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 13142941)
pffft my wife earned over 50 badges in the Girl Scouts

Can she iron a crease in your pants properly??? can you?

Mile High Mania 10-11-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 13142933)
So I guess no one in this thread actually read the OP, let alone the article, and jumped straight to anti-PC panic, huh? They are admitting girls into CUB SCOUTS. Cub Scouts is over by, what, the second grade? Oh, BTW, cub scout packs will be able to decide for themselves whether they want any girls dens or not.

They are offering a completely separate program for girls to become Eagle Scouts.

As an Eagle Scout myself, I think this is ****ing great. I know and have known plenty of girls that would have loved to experience some of what I got to going through scouting. For the most part, Girl Scouts is little more than a cookie racket. Boy Scouts was life shaping for me. When I heard this news it about made my day.

Cub Scouts ends around the 5th grade...

We live in a world where it's no longer ok for boys and girls to have their own things. Sad indeed. Show me a den or a pack that will say no to letting a girl join and they're ripe for a lawsuit. #thanksbinladen

HemiEd 10-11-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13142917)
Or let you experiment with accelerants?

One of my best boy scout memories was when I had just learned how to make a "one match fire" and we had a solid week of rain at summer camp.

By the end of the week, even the leaders were discouraged with making a fire and I hunted under brush for dry tender and made one. For years those leaders would tell my dad about it.

I only made "Life" by 14 and didn't make Eagle. :D

kccrow 10-11-2017 04:51 PM

I was a Life Scout and, unfortunately, just wasn't dedicated enough at the end to get to Eagle only getting about half of it done...

I have to say, at first, I was blown aback by the idea. It genuinely gave me a "What?" moment. Having seen Girl Scouts first hand though, I think that's a useless organization that literally teaches nothing but how to sell cookies and use a bedazzler, despite the fact that it should be more like Boy Scouts. I think you don't see the push and the drive in Girl Scouts to advance and remain in scouts for very long like you see in Boy Scouts.

I'm fine with girls being allowed in Boy Scouts, even changing the name to just "Scouts" if necessary. I believe that what is learned in Boy Scouts has life-long value and I wish more kids would be involved. I think decreasing numbers is a reason for this, but it shouldn't be.

There is so much it teaches youth beyond camping: citizenship and ethics, leadership, first-aid, swimming, navigation, canoeing, cooking, use of tools, fitness, nature identification (trees, birds, plants, etc), use of arms/archery, fishing, music, art, respect for country and religion, and so much more. Girl Scouts are supposed to be able to learn much of the same, but I seldom see it.

I think scouts are better prepared to be adults and can be self-servicing.

My take is merge the organizations and create one "Scouts," but I do not support segregation of sexes. Obviously you wouldn't have boys and girls sharing a tent or a bathroom area, but there is literally no other reason to segregate. Both sexes should be exposed to the same teaching available. They should feel a sense of community and should all be taught to be strong individuals in a dual-sex real-life environment.

kccrow 10-11-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13142953)
Camp Nash, 10 degrees, mild winds...

"1st one that starts a fire, without matches, that burns a string gets a hot breakfast with the scout leaders..."

What the ****? We get cereal and they get bacon and eggs? Screw scouting after that exercise...I quit, and did.

Wait! Does that mean there are female scoutmasters too??? Back-lighting the scoutmaster's tent may be more fun than it used to be.

Ours brought a big ass canvas tent everywhere that was more like a house than a tent. They'd carry in a camp stove, propane heaters, lighters, cigars, booze, rifles... ****, they'd have a great time... But during the day they did teach us everything and we had to learn the shit and fend for ourselves. That was the point. Independence and leadership was supposed to come from us, they were just our guides.

eDave 10-11-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13143086)
One of my best boy scout memories was when I had just learned how to make a "one match fire" and we had a solid week of rain at summer camp.

By the end of the week, even the leaders were discouraged with making a fire and I hunted under brush for dry tender and made one. For years those leaders would tell my dad about it.

Oh yea. We can build a ****ing fire like no ones business.

kccrow 10-11-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Did your leaders drop you off in the woods with one match, one egg, and a compass and tell you they'd "see you in the morning" like mine did?

I never scrambled so hard to build a fire in my life... Kind of a long night in the woods by yourself with nothing, then the task of not getting lost in the morning on your mind.

eDave 10-11-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13143160)
Did your leaders drop you off in the woods with one match, one egg, and a compass and tell you they'd "see you in the morning" like mine did?

I never scrambled so hard to build a fire in my life... Kind of a long night in the woods by yourself with nothing, then the task of not getting lost in the morning on your mind.

To become a Warrior. Yes.

scho63 10-11-2017 05:18 PM

A Cub Scout becomes a Boy Scout after he eats his first Brownie!

Mile High Mania 10-11-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13143186)
A Cub Scout becomes a Boy Scout after he eats his first Brownie!

That joke has been around a long time...

cooper barrett 10-11-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

That was my trick too but the breakfast sucked, runny eggs

scho63 10-11-2017 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13143205)
That joke has been around a long time...

So have I .......... :D

007 10-11-2017 06:14 PM

So ****ing stupid. Just eliminate both and call it scouts.

kysirsoze 10-11-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13143010)
Cub Scouts ends around the 5th grade...

We live in a world where it's no longer ok for boys and girls to have their own things. Sad indeed. Show me a den or a pack that will say no to letting a girl join and they're ripe for a lawsuit. #thanksbinladen

That's right. Had the timeline off a little. I think I was blending cub scouts and tiger cubs. The point still stands as far as I'm concerned. It's a cool experience that doesn't really have a female equivalent and there's still boys scouts for a boy only experience.

bdj23 10-11-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13143302)
So ****ing stupid. Just eliminate both and call it scouts.

That's next.

It's only a matter of time before liberals piss their pants and demand BSA change their name to be more inclusive.