ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Tyler Bray vs Patrick Mahomes II competition for backup (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308912)

jaa1025 07-25-2017 05:54 AM

Assuming this poll is for the 2nd spot right out of camp. I think Bray wins it unless he gets injured, which is always a possibility. I don't necessarily think that necessarily means he will remain the #2 QB throughout the season but out of camp, I do think that's the case.

Rasputin 07-25-2017 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 12972474)
Assuming this poll is for the 2nd spot right out of camp. I think Bray wins it unless he gets injured, which is always a possibility. I don't necessarily think that necessarily means he will remain the #2 QB throughout the season but out of camp, I do think that's the case.

Yes right out of camp so who is going be backup when we play Patriots.

Now I think you have good points and I think it should be Bray to start the season as backup but during the season that could change.

On an even keel I think Patrick would surpass Bray but I don't think it will be an even keel as Bray has a leg up and coaches want to sit Patrick anyways.

Dunerdr 07-25-2017 07:52 AM

I think it co.es down to who do you want traveling with the team and getting meaningful snaps should smith go down.

cmdrzman 07-25-2017 08:21 AM

They're gonna need to put some weights around Mahomes ankles in training camp and teach him not to panic at the first sign of pressure- He's got horrible feet- throws off his back foot to much- He needs to learn to step into his throws- That game against TCU is a good example-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNB1ClZnskk

The NFL aint the Big 12- If he thinks he can play sand lot football like he did in college in the NFL, he wont last 3 years-

thegame214 07-25-2017 08:34 AM

The chiefsplanet homerism is blinding some of your judgment lol We are asking if Mahomes will beat out Tyler freaking Bray? ROFL

tmax63 07-25-2017 08:35 AM

I think it boils down to how fast PMII picks up the playbook. If he shows he can absorb most of the playbook pretty quickly then he's gonna be #2, if it takes him2-3 years like Bray then they stick with Bray. They aren't gonna trot him out there if all he knows is a couple running plays and 3-4 pass plays.

Rasputin 07-25-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegame214 (Post 12972610)
The chiefsplanet homerism is blinding some of your judgment lol We are asking if Mahomes will beat out Tyler freaking Bray? ROFL

A first round pick VS a guy who never has taken a snap in a regular season game in the NFL in 5 years of being in the league.

It's not even a real fair contest Bray will get more reps in practice as the incumbent #2 but Patrick Mahomes II is up for the challenge.

At this point and judging by the votes it could go either way it looks like it can be close contest and that is good for all parties they can push each other to be better than they would be otherwise.

Even Alex Smith will have to push himself so he isn't embarrassed that the other two can outplay him.

RunKC 07-25-2017 08:53 AM

Mahomes should be the backup so he can really develop in practice by taking reps on the scout team. The best way for Mahomes to learn is to actually play and go through his development in real time, then repeat it every day. He isn't going to learn anything standing at practice and watching everyone else.

We should also want Mahomes to be the backup because of what it means to Alex. I want Alex to know his job is on the line at all times and that he needs to play well consistently if he wants to keep the starting role.

Does anyone really think Alex would feel the slightest bit of pressure to perform if Bray is the backup?

Mike in SW-MO 07-25-2017 08:55 AM

It depends on what Mahomes needs.

If he needs snaps, he will get more as #3 running the scout team even though it won't be with the Chiefs plays.

If he needs to learn to read defenses & grasp Chiefs playbook nuances under pressure, he is better off as #2 doing clipboard duties on game day even though he will have fewer practice snaps. (And I mean the playbook under pressure not the clipboard holder.)

My best guess is they will want him getting snaps handling the ball under center & doing drops.

So Bray 2 & Mahomes 3 is my guess.

Rasputin 07-25-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO (Post 12972629)
It depends on what Mahomes needs.

If he needs snaps, he will get more as #3 running the scout team even though it won't be with the Chiefs plays.

If he needs to learn to read defenses & grasp Chiefs playbook nuances under pressure, he is better off as #2 doing clipboard duties on game day even though he will have fewer practice snaps. (And I mean the playbook under pressure not the clipboard holder.)

My best guess is they will want him getting snaps handling the ball under center & doing drops.

So Bray 2 & Mahomes 3 is my guess.

The idea of the scout team is for the players to act like the opposing team so for the first game he would have to learn how Tom Brady plays and act like Tom Brady

This is not a bad idea at all :) He needs to study the likes of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and not so much learn from Alex Smith.

O.city 07-25-2017 09:08 AM

100% performance based.

The best guy is the backup.

Hell, id play the shit out of bray this preseason and see if some team would flip us a pick.

Rain Man 07-25-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 12972474)

This is my scenario as well.

When push comes to shove, if they need a #2 QB on the field, though, I think they'll give Mahomes the reps.

T-post Tom 07-25-2017 11:36 AM

Reid will go with Bray. Impossible to say at this point if that's the best move, but that's my best guess on what Andy Reid will do.

ToxSocks 07-25-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 12972847)
Reid will go with Bray. Impossible to say at this point if that's the best move, but that's my best guess on what Andy Reid will do.

I don't think Reid has any qualms about playing rookies. I know i may be alone in this, but i personally feel that if Mahomes develops at a rapid rate and demonstrates the ability to lead this offense, and Alex sputters or regresses, i don't think Reid will have a problem pulling the trigger.

I'm not in the camp that believes Alex is guaranteed a full a season.

My prediction: Bray will hold the #2 duties until Pre-season week 3. Then Mahomes will get a chance with the 2's.

Mahomes HAS to win #2 duties so he can dress on Sundays, even if he hasn't surpassed Bray. This is a foregone conclusion. How often does our 3rd string QB dress on Sundays?

If Smith regress, playoff contention or not, Mahomes will get the nod late in the season to ignite the offense.

Reerun_KC 07-25-2017 11:46 AM

Other than being a load swallowing Homer. WTF has anyone ever seen that would warrant Bray be qualified to be a #2 backup?

I get some have to beat off to the thought of something scrub making some noise, but dayum this is sad...

If mahomes can't beat out this ballsack then we're ****ed...