ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Anon - NASA on the Verge of Announcing Alien Life (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308447)

O.city 06-26-2017 12:31 PM

The timeline is the tough part. To a civilization that's a billion years old, were a speck in time.

Rausch 06-26-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12932316)
I think they've been here and or are here. If they're that advanced, they could do it without our knowledge

And that would be my guess.

It makes no sense to do much of what the UFO community suggests is happening.

Here's another thought experiment: if a huge object did hit the earth 65 million years ago and did throw a European-metric-****-ton of biological material out into space (as is suggested,) how long would that frozen life take to land on any planet ANYWHERE and reproduce at even the most basic level?...

Rausch 06-26-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12932323)
These scales are just so far beyond our comprehension...

I think that's the key issue.

It's so mind blowing you either say "**** it, I'm out" or it's something you want to look into.

On or off.
Left or right.
Dem or Rep...

ToxSocks 06-26-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12932323)
I am firmly in the "the human mind simply cannot grasp just how unbelievably large the scale we're operating on here is" camp. And then throw in the whole 3 dimensional thing (which the human mind has a notoriously hard time conceptualizing) and you start to understand that even if we're looking for the right things and with the right tools, the odds of us looking at the right place and at the right time are almost infinitesimally small.

When people say "Man, how hard could it actually be to find Planet 9?" and then you listen to someone smart explain EXACTLY how hard it can be and why there's a really good chance that we just never find the thing even though we can see its wake, you get just an inkling of an understanding of the void we're dealing with.

These scales are just so far beyond our comprehension that it makes me think that A) it's virtually impossible that life doesn't exist SOMEWHERE but B) it's nearly as unlikely that we'll find it or it us over any appreciable timeline.

Agreed.

I don't recall where i saw it, or who taught it (I believe it was Neil Degrasse Tyson) but he illustrated it perfectly.

Warning: I'm about to butcher what i learned, but i hope i can spit out the general idea.

He used an L.E.D particle board to illustrate how unlikely we are to find life because of the scale of time. Each time an L.E.D momentarily blipped on and off, that represented several hundred thousand years, or the life and death of a civilization.

The point being that time and space operate at such a grand scale that our mere existence and the existence of other intelligent civilizations is nothing more than a mere blip, and the reason why we haven't found other life is because they have already expired or not even come to fruition yet.

And because Time/Space is so vast and any signal would take so long to reach us that even if we did get a signal from an extraterrestrial civilization that it's quite possible that civilization has already come and gone before we even got the signal.

ToxSocks 06-26-2017 12:56 PM

Think about that shit....if we ever actually do get a signal, that signal may have taken so long to get to us that those who sent it may have already been wiped off the universe thousands of years ago.....mind = blown.

redfan 06-26-2017 02:00 PM

That alien life? Single celled organisms.
SPAAAAAACE MIIIICROOOOBES!! PBJ

Rausch 06-26-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12932358)

I don't recall where i saw it, or who taught it (I believe it was Neil Degrasse Tyson) but he illustrated it perfectly.

Warning: I'm about to butcher what i learned, but i hope i can spit out the general idea.

He used an L.E.D particle board to illustrate how unlikely we are to find life because of the scale of time.

He is also deeply compromised on his beliefs due to his station in life.

He falls under that same sick Kaku succumbed to...

keg in kc 06-26-2017 02:31 PM

Life does not mean intelligent life. I, personally, believe that NASA has been sitting on evidence of life of Mars since the 70's. I also believe that a number of announcements they've made in the last half dozen years are in preparation for finally making the announcement that there is evidence of life on other bodies in the solar system. It all been ramping up in the last year or two.

As far as intelligent life making it here, there are lots of possibilities there. Because we haven't worked out how cross interstellar distances, or between dimensions, or in some other way outside our current infantile understanding of physics doesnot make it impossible. We have this mistaken belief that we are the pinnacle of science. Maybe we are. Maybe we aren't.

But as far as simple, basic life goes, it exits in huge variety on this planet, some of it in impossibly hostile conditions. I would be shocked if we don't find more of it in other places in the solar system.

That's just my opinion, of course.

jimidollar 06-26-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12931787)
Their first communications will be breathlessly decoded, and it'll say, "Why on earth did the Chiefs fire Dorsey?"

No. "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

Bowser 06-26-2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhed (Post 12932468)
That alien life? Single celled organisms.
SPAAAAAACE MIIIICROOOOBES!! PBJ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MnJrenTkGGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 06-26-2017 03:07 PM

When it comes to subjects like this, I always feel that mankind is supremely arrogant in thinking we have all the answers figured out regarding space. There is no telling what mode of transportation or communication advanced civilizations use to travel the void. It would be like telling a knight on the crusades how to use a Sat Phone to call in a cruise missile strike on an enemies castle. He'd figure it out with proper training, but couldn't possibly come up with it, much less construct it, on his own. That's mankind right now in relation to the possibility of star faring civilizations - we're the knight.

Scorp 06-26-2017 03:30 PM

pffft do a search on Val Valiant Thor

O.city 06-26-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 12932577)
pffft do a search on Val Valiant Thor

Had never heard of that.

Upon reading about it, I wish I hadn't.

Rain Man 06-26-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12932553)
When it comes to subjects like this, I always feel that mankind is supremely arrogant in thinking we have all the answers figured out regarding space. There is no telling what mode of transportation or communication advanced civilizations use to travel the void. It would be like telling a knight on the crusades how to use a Sat Phone to call in a cruise missile strike on an enemies castle. He'd figure it out with proper training, but couldn't possibly come up with it, much less construct it, on his own. That's mankind right now in relation to the possibility of star faring civilizations - we're the knight.

Or the horse.

DaneMcCloud 06-26-2017 07:27 PM

Humans have just entered Pre-K regarding the Universe.

If Evolution and Survival of the Fittest are the guides, then human beings on Earth would be better off not trying to contact alien civilizations...