ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Hypothetical: Get your time travel assignment here. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308248)

Rain Man 06-12-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 12912958)
Heck yeah, sign me up.

You will enter a time of great turmoil and bad fashion. 1973 AD. You'll be able to see the development of cars such as the Pacer, Gremlin, and Pinto unless you opt for other areas of study.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 12912965)
I'm in.

...but look, if i'm gonna do this......I can't go anywhere cold. I'm bronchial.
so, whoever is in charge...., just nowhere cold, Ok?

1659 BC. I think most of the good stuff was happening in Mediterranean climates, but that's up to you to figure out.

Hammock Parties 06-12-2017 11:03 AM

I bet you could get a job as a cook, make the first pizza (keeping the recipe secret so as not to alter the timeline), and be making bank in ancient Rome within a week.

Just go a decent ancient Roman restaurant that serves bread, cheese, meat and tomatoes, tell the owner you'll work for free for a week and make him something amazing that will turn his restaurant into a golden goose, and make a pizza.

Then give out some free samples and watch the denarii flow. Then offer your services as pizza chef at an outrageous cost.

Rausch 06-12-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12913006)
Also your modern-day immune system will be much stronger compared to the diseases of that time period. Maybe. Probably. Hopefully.

Hopefully Rainman's group understands disease better than you do...

patteeu 06-12-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12913006)
You have 21st century knowledge at your disposal. Making a few denarii will be easy. Shit, you can probably find a drunk guard and steal his uniform and do whatever you want the whole year.

I'm assuming that the trip back through time will cure any diseases picked up. Like the transporter.

Also your modern-day immune system will be much stronger compared to the diseases of that time period. Maybe. Probably. Hopefully.

I think we're better off concocting tech fixes (like your transporter comment) than relying on the reality of our modern immune systems. Here's a BBC article talking about ancient bacteria being a threat to modern humans, fwiw:

There are diseases hidden in ice, and they're waking up...

BlackHelicopters 06-12-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12912940)
1827 AD. I think there was a lot of good furniture being made then, and some fun things in the American frontier if you weren't an Indian.

Furniture? I feel discriminated against.

KC_Lee 06-12-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12912930)
You almost had a gimme other than a minus sign. You get 1492 BC, which still probably has a lot going on.

Well now...this will be interesting.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12912967)
A few things.

A. I thought we were supposed to pick our location. Nobody has. Don't you have to pick that before you leave?

B. I might just take the 50 cents a day in the Central African Republic. At least they give you some ammo. The community college has made no such offer, and the chances of the conditions being worse than present day Central African Republic are high.

C. You didn't tell us how much this job pays.

D. **** it. I'm in. The location I picked for no particular reason is New Zealand.

You can pick your location after you get your year. (There's a little time-space dissonance involved in that, but don't worry about it.) I'm assuming that people are doing their research and will soon pick their locations and research plans.

The job pays $11.37 per hour plus health care benefits. You also get entry into the pension plan but absolutely cannot make contributions in the past.

You get the year 1994 AD. No one knows anything about that year since it was before the internet was really rolling.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12912970)
I'd prefer a year where I won't be at risk of getting eaten by a dinosaur please.

927 BC. There weren't a lot of dinosaurs around then unless you're a strict creationist. You may be a little too early for Greece, but I bet there are other cool civilizations to visit.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 12912974)
Good stuff. In!

You might want to bring your own fire. 45,984 BC. That one should be fun.

Steron 06-12-2017 11:11 AM

In!

Rain Man 06-12-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12912983)
Ok, I'm in for some sociological terraforming.

1482 BC. We're getting some good traffic in that century. I hope you find something interesting.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12912989)
I need a new work challenge, so count me in.

496 AD. You missed the Fall of Rome by a short distance, but I bet you can find other stuff to keep you busy.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 12912991)
Well, I am disappointed by the no changing history part of the deal. But I am always up for a museum and a live one sounds pretty great. A year is a long time especially if I'm in a time that my feet are my only means of changing location, but what the hell, I am very observant. I'd do a good job. Send me in!

361 AD. I don't think they had cars then, but you've got some good civilization options to choose from.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 12913034)
In!

1146 AD. I bet they had great chamber music to study. Maybe some knights and stuff. And god only knows what was going on in China and Japan.