ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Salary Cap: Yes Or No? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308141)

KChiefs1 06-07-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 12906992)
LMAO A Donk fan talking about another team cheating. Oh the irony. SMH

I laugh when Donko fans start talking about the Pats cheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unsmooth-Moment 06-07-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 12907008)
MLB has found another way to win championships. It's because of their farm system, something that the NFL doesn't have. Small market teams such as the Royals have to have strong minor league teams. They develop their stars there, then when they get good and will be coming due for a contract that they can't afford, they trade them away to the big money teams that can afford them in return for their strong minor league prospects. But, as you see over and over in MLB, they have a very small window. The Royals were good for a couple of years, but they lost their talent because they couldn't afford them, and they are right back in the basement with one of the worst records in the league. It will likely be years before they are competitive again.

I guess the bigger picture to me is salary cap and guaranteed contracts. I don't think they mix very well. I love baseball as is and baseball will not move away from guaranteed contracts, their union is to strong. If football moved to fully guaranteed contracts like baseball but kept the hard cap you'd see an inferior product on the field. That and players would be signing a lot more 1 year contracts.

Farm system and years of control for players do keep baseball very interesting during a down stretch. Teams don't necessarily have to have short windows either. Think if the Royals hit on a draft pick recently. They could keep the run going. Guys like Colon, Starling, zimmer, new pick like ashe Russell.. some of these guys were high end picks. None are likely to step in and replace a Cain or a Moose.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12906276)
That's why the Patriots have won 14 out of 15 Division titles, 9 Conference Championship appearances, 7 Super Bowl appearances and 5 Super Bowl Wins.

Because the Salary Cap is a Dynasty "killer".

:facepalm:

Dumb as ****.

out·li·er
ˈoutˌlīər/Submit
noun
a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system.
"less accessible islands and outliers"
a person or thing differing from all other members of a particular group or set.
"an outlier in Faulkner's body of work"
GEOLOGY
a younger rock formation isolated among older rocks.

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12907037)
I laugh when Donko fans start talking about the Pats cheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the loss of a 2nd round pick for talking for a guy you cut after 2 years is nothing?

Dynasty's that died since the inception of the Cap, some of these were blown apart before they could become Dynastic.

Dallas
San Fran
2015 Broncos - Could not overcome losing Jackson, Trevathan, and the 2nd greatest QB of all time
1999 Broncos Though the loss of the GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME hurt too
Pitt - They draft really well but had to in order to get back to the SB multiple times over the last 10 years
GB twice (it wasn't like the Bears got good)
Bills (had they had more money they would have broke through one of those years)
Indy
Hell even the Rams.

There is a reason only 1 team has been able to perform the way teams did in the 60's, 70's, and 80's pre cap. It is harder to do with the cap. When you win SB's top flight players want to get paid and end up leaving town because teams can't pay everyone like they used to be able to.

Plus prior to the 80's a FA was someone over the hill, teams set what they would pay, not the players.

RunKC 06-07-2017 08:50 PM

The 2015 Broncos were a dynasty? Elway the greatest of all time? ROFL

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 12907040)
I guess the bigger picture to me is salary cap and guaranteed contracts. I don't think they mix very well. I love baseball as is and baseball will not move away from guaranteed contracts, their union is to strong. If football moved to fully guaranteed contracts like baseball but kept the hard cap you'd see an inferior product on the field. That and players would be signing a lot more 1 year contracts.

Farm system and years of control for players do keep baseball very interesting during a down stretch. Teams don't necessarily have to have short windows either. Think if the Royals hit on a draft pick recently. They could keep the run going. Guys like Colon, Starling, zimmer, new pick like ashe Russell.. some of these guys were high end picks. None are likely to step in and replace a Cain or a Moose.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Baseball can afford to pay guaranteed contracts because they play 150 more games a year and have the revenue to do so.

I like that NFL contracts are negotiated and not fully guaranteed, I wish they wouldn't be allowed to guarantee more than say 20% of a players contract so he has incentive to earn it unlike guys who get a big deal and then don't produce like Julius Thomas.

hometeam 06-07-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12907074)
So the loss of a 2nd round pick for talking for a guy you cut after 2 years is nothing?

Dynasty's that died since the inception of the Cap, some of these were blown apart before they could become Dynastic.

Dallas
San Fran
2015 Broncos - Could not overcome losing Jackson, Trevathan, and the 2nd greatest QB of all time
1999 Broncos Though the loss of the GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME hurt too
Pitt - They draft really well but had to in order to get back to the SB multiple times over the last 10 years
GB twice (it wasn't like the Bears got good)
Bills (had they had more money they would have broke through one of those years)
Indy
Hell even the Rams.

There is a reason only 1 team has been able to perform the way teams did in the 60's, 70's, and 80's pre cap. It is harder to do with the cap. When you win SB's top flight players want to get paid and end up leaving town because teams can't pay everyone like they used to be able to.

Plus prior to the 80's a FA was someone over the hill, teams set what they would pay, not the players.

http://i.imgur.com/uJec9uJ.gif

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12907077)
The 2015 Broncos were a dynasty? ROFL

2 SB appearances in 3 years are the makings of a dynasty. Had they been able to keep Jackson and Trevathan last year they would have easily made the playoffs so it supports my argument.

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12907077)
The 2015 Broncos were a dynasty? Elway the greatest of all time? ROFL

Who do you think the greatest QB is? Steve Bono? Elvis Grbac?

Broncos had 2 of the best QB's ever to play in the NFL one of which had the greatest single season a QB probably ever will have.

Elway was the prototypical QB, if you could build one he would look like John, buck teeth and all.

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 12907083)

Tommy* isn't even the best 6th round pick of all time, TD is. Maybe the best 6th round QB ever.

Trent Green GOAT 06-07-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12907093)

Broncos had 2 of the best QB's ever to play in the NFL one of which had the greatest single season a QB probably ever will have.

Elway was the prototypical QB, if you could build one he would look like John, buck teeth and all.

2 of The best QB's?

Pardon me have you seen that guy in New England? He's pretty good and the 49ers had a qb in the 80's who was pretty good too.

Don't get it twisted elway and manning are greats no doubt, but come on.

Willie Lanier 06-07-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12907093)

Troll shoes in full sprint!

JakeF 06-07-2017 09:23 PM

Absolutely needed

BlackHelicopters 06-08-2017 06:46 AM

Yes

Best22 06-08-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 12906232)
What's the percent including the last 6 years? MLB has seen recent success of Pirates, Royals, Rays and A's in the last decade or so. Not necessarily in just championships. There has been some surprising teams in the mix for playoffs, etc. Just judging champions MLB has had 15 teams win a championship since 90. The NFL has seen 14 different teams in that span.

The Pirates getting bounced from the wildcard round counts as "success?"

Anyway, I think the MLB might more parity because the star players don't have as much impact as they do in football. Guys like Harper are just one in nine batters. Elite pitcher play just once every four or five games. Football is just a different sport. Brady and Gronk are out there EVERY PLAY. Same reason why dynasties happen so often in the NBA. Players have a huge impact.