ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Osweiler + 2nd Round Pick to the Browns (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306497)

DJ's left nut 03-09-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 12776262)
Well then. That's a legit stunner. Houston gave up picks just to dump his contract.

The Browns had a zillion dollars in cap space and numerous picks. They can still sign guys and/or draft another QB.

That's actually really smart.

Some basketball teams in recent years have wised up a bit and realized that they have cap space but no talent to use it on. So they take on a shitty player's bad contract for a draft pick. They burn space they didn't want to use on a mediocre player on a long-term deal and in the process get a free pick from the deal.

Nice move from Cleveland. They had more space than there were players to spend it on, so get the pick, cut Oswieler if necessary and get a nice '18 draft pick to use as a potential chip to trade up in a loaded '18 QB class.

Amnorix 03-09-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12776325)
So the only thing Houston got out of this trade was getting rid of their quarterback? That seems unprecedented. I've never heard of such a thing in the NFL.

Yes. This is an NBA-like salary cap dump move.

Browns got -- Osweiler, Houston's 2017 6th rounder, and 2018 2nd round pick.

Houston got -- Cleveland's 2017 4th round pick, and rid of the albatross contract.

DJ's left nut 03-09-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12776329)
Mahomes to the Texans

Very possibly, yes.

And the Browns have that much more thunder to throw at the '18 class.

It's not a positive development for KC.

Mr. Laz 03-09-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12776337)

yep

I wonder who thought it up, Houston or Cleveland?

Probably Houston

Nickhead 03-09-2017 03:01 PM

it actually is smart. wasn't cleveland and the raiders in danger of being fined for not using a certain percentage of their cap space? maybe not the raiders now, but a year before they had a shit ton of space too. :D

tk13 03-09-2017 03:02 PM

We would be celebrating if the Chiefs did this. The Browns were going to have to spend a ton to just hit the cap floor. They are still going to have around $90 million to spend, and they have a dozen draft picks this year, and 8 picks in the first four rounds over the next two years.

They could draft multiple QBs and still reload the team up and down the line. Now this is the Browns, so they'll find a way to mess it up, but they are in a tremendous position to rebuild. I wonder how much Paul DePodesta had a hand in this. He's a baseball "Moneyball" guy they brought in to work in football operations.

staylor26 03-09-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12776336)
That's actually really smart.

Some basketball teams in recent years have wised up a bit and realized that they have cap space but no talent to use it on. So they take on a shitty player's bad contract for a draft pick. They burn space they didn't want to use on a mediocre player on a long-term deal and in the process get a free pick from the deal.

Nice move from Cleveland. They had more space than there were players to spend it on, so get the pick, cut Oswieler if necessary and get a nice '18 draft pick to use as a potential chip to trade up in a loaded '18 QB class.

Laz tried to make fun of Cleveland for this LMAO

I got a kick out of that

JohnnyHammersticks 03-09-2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12776325)
So the only thing Houston got out of this trade was getting rid of their quarterback? That seems unprecedented. I've never heard of such a thing in the NFL.

If you watched the first 8 or so Texan games last year, trust me, it makes perfect sense. He was slipping into Ryan Leaf/Todd Marinovich territory, in terms of being a bad qb and a terrible leader. He's not a bright human being. If the Texans would've bothered to have a face-to-face meeting with him before throwing away tens of millions on him (they didn't), that would've been apparent to them.

Kudos to his agent though, that guy is a freaking wizard.

WhawhaWhat 03-09-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12776337)

Browns got -- Osweiler, Houston's 2017 6th rounder, and 2018 2nd round pick.

Houston got -- Cleveland's 2017 4th round pick, and rid of the albatross contract.

I believe the Browns now have 10 picks in 2017 and 10 picks in 2018. Plus more if they get any comp picks next year.

ct 03-09-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 12776284)
I don't quite understand, but there's speculation that the Browns will make the trade, then release Ossweiler.

sure as hell what i'd do, or dump him for a 7th to NYJ

Unsmooth-Moment 03-09-2017 03:05 PM

Cleveland wins this one just due to their cap space.

beach tribe 03-09-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12776302)
Might as well keep him for a year though.

big cap hit

No shit.

Take the cap hit and keep the cash.

They won't be anywhere near the cap ceiling anyway.

ChiliConCarnage 03-09-2017 03:07 PM

Seems like a win for both teams really. Bigger win for the Browns who get a look at a QB a couple of teams were offering 15 mill+ just a year ago plus the pick swap improvement.

St. Patty's Fire 03-09-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12776283)
You see this kind of shit in the NBA.

First time I've heard of a "salary dump" trade in the NFL in quite some time.

happens a LOT in the nhl

JohnnyHammersticks 03-09-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12776368)
I believe the Browns now have 10 picks in 2017 and 10 picks in 2018. Plus more if they get any comp picks next year.

Too bad they're so terrible at drafting.