ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs "not expected" to tag Poe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306308)

Mr. Laz 03-01-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12763231)
**** that. You take your 1st this year and both of our 3rd round picks and trade up for Mahomes. I'm sick of his waiting around shit.

If Reid wanted him, Dorsey would do just that.

Reid has to want somebody new before Dorsey is going to do anything.

DJ's left nut 03-01-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12763238)
If Reid wanted him, Dorsey would do just that.

Reid has to want somebody new before Dorsey is going to do anything.

And Reid will have to want him badly, IMO.

Dorsey seems to prefer to just play his board as it lies. If the value falls to him, he'll take it. If he doesn't, he'll retreat, get a pick and see if value falls to him in the next spot.

If Dorsey trades up, it will be because Andy Reid was banging on the table to make it happen. He can't just say "I kinda like Mahomes...", he'll have to say "Mahomes is the guy that's going to win us a championship - period".

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-01-2017 11:56 AM

Trade two third rounders and a first to move up for an unknown product in a weak QB draft??

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-01-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12763208)
Yeah, Dorsey's gonna pay $20+ million in cap for QB coach.

You're reaching. Poorly.

A reach? What are you talking about?? Sitting on the bench watching a veteran is the best way for a rookie to learn. Jesus Christ

Mr. Laz 03-01-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12763249)
And Reid will have to want him badly, IMO.

Dorsey seems to prefer to just play his board as it lies. If the value falls to him, he'll take it. If he doesn't, he'll retreat, get a pick and see if value falls to him in the next spot.

If Dorsey trades up, it will be because Andy Reid was banging on the table to make it happen. He can't just say "I kinda like Mahomes...", he'll have to say "Mahomes is the guy that's going to win us a championship - period".

Ok,I can see that.

My main point is that this is about Reid, not Dorsey.

You want to be pissed about the QB position then be pissed at Reid.

Reid wanted AS
Reid wants to keep AS
Dorsey won't spend big on a new QB until Reid wants him to

DJ's left nut 03-01-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12763257)
A reach? What are you talking about?? Sitting on the bench watching a veteran is the best way for a rookie to learn. Jesus Christ

No, the best way for a rookie to learn is to play, especially if he's surrounded by solid talent.

And paying a lame-duck $20 million to ensure that doesn't happen isn't going to fly.

The Franchise 03-01-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12763255)
Trade two third rounders and a first to move up for an unknown product in a weak QB draft??

By all means....let's continue to start the QB who is already on the decline. I'm sure 15 TDs a season is super hard to replace.

Direckshun 03-01-2017 12:02 PM

This is a really controversial move, in my opinion.

I think there is an argument to let Poe walk, but he could still provide us another contract's worth of solid play.

He is tough, he is mean, he is very physical, and he plays 80% of the snaps. That's not going to be very easy to replace -- it probably can't be replaced.

Hell it's not Poe's fault we let him and another DT play 2-on-5 against OLs for like 75% of the snaps last year.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-01-2017 12:03 PM

And allow the rookie to crumble under the pressure of high expectations? In a Reid offense I would not let a rookie get the keys to the car on day one. That's setting him up for failure

Direckshun 03-01-2017 12:03 PM

I would have tagged him, obviously.

But I guess this means we like the development of TJ Barnes and Montori Hughes looked promising.

I know Dorsey and Sutton can make this work. But I just think this was the wrong call.

Mr. Laz 03-01-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 12763267)
This is a really controversial move, in my opinion.

I think there is an argument to let Poe walk, but he could still provide us another contract's worth of solid play.

He is tough, he is mean, he is very physical, and he plays 80% of the snaps. That's not going to be very easy to replace -- it probably can't be replaced.

Hell it's not Poe's fault we let him and another DT play 2-on-5 against OLs for like 75% of the snaps last year.

They had to pretty much choose between Berry and Poe.

Which would you have chosen?

Direckshun 03-01-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12763271)
They had to pretty much choose between Berry and Poe.

Which would you have chosen?

I don't agree that they had to make that choice.

They just did.

Gun to my head? Berry. Every time.

But you're putting up a very good NT against an All Planet safety.

Mr. Laz 03-01-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 12763270)
I would have tagged him, obviously.

But I guess this means we like the development of TJ Barnes and Montori Hughes looked promising.

I know Dorsey and Sutton can make this work. But I just think this was the wrong call.

Tag for the DT position is 13 million.

I probably would have tagged him and then hoped to trade him.

Even if you only negotiate for a 2nd, still helps.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-01-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12763263)
By all means....let's continue to start the QB who is already on the decline. I'm sure 15 TDs a season is super hard to replace.

Smith isn't on the decline at age 32 going on 33. His QBR, pass yards, sack rate, completion % say otherwise. Maclin will bounce back this year and bring up the red zone efficiency like in 2015/16

Direckshun 03-01-2017 12:06 PM

The bright spot here is that Andy Reid, better than almost anyone else, knows exactly when to cut a player loose.

So I do have faith in him to judge this, and Dorsey to replace him.

But that's a hell of a lift you're asking the front seven to do, to somehow replace Dontari Poe.