ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football 49ers hire John Lynch as GM. Not kidding. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305609)

007 01-29-2017 09:10 PM

Holy crap! Lunacy

Quesadilla Joe 01-29-2017 09:21 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A couple years back, John Lynch sat in John Elway&#39;s offseason draft meetings. Lynch must have enjoyed the experience. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/9sports?src=hash">#9sports</a></p>&mdash; Mike Klis (@MikeKlis) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/825902616811040768">January 30, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaneMcCloud 01-29-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 12716825)
Holy crap! Lunacy

Why? How is he unqualified?

Amnorix 01-29-2017 09:33 PM

Completely bizarre.

Garcia Bronco 01-29-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12716679)
I don't understand the derision.

Lynch was a great player and on the cusp of the Hall of Fame. He's been a broadcaster for years so he's familiar with the league, it's players, etc.

Like Elway, he graduated from Stanford and is a smart guy.

The Carolina Panthers hired a sportwriter in Marty Hurney, who led them to a Super Bowl.

Elway also held several FO jobs and owned a team.

Amnorix 01-29-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12716867)
Why? How is he unqualified?

How is he QUALIFIED? He has not a single minute of experience, so far as I know, dealing with scouts, scouting, agents (from the team side), contracts, team organization, team building, drafting, analyzing free agents, making roster decisions, salary cap management or anything at all relating to the management of a football team.

DaneMcCloud 01-29-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12716879)
How is he QUALIFIED? He has not a single minute of experience, so far as I know, dealing with scouts, scouting, agents (from the team side), contracts, team organization, team building, drafting, analyzing free agents, making roster decisions, salary cap management or anything at all relating to the management of a football team.

Good lord, you guys overrate running a scouting department and hiring scouts.

Each and every year, going back at least a decade, Chiefs fans have churned out considerably better "mock drafts" than the "professionals.

Lynch wasn't hired as a CPA or lawyer or genetic scientist. He wasn't hired as a criminologist or as the CEO of NASA.

He's the GM of a ****ing football team.

He's a lucky bastard.

Amnorix 01-29-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12716897)
Good lord, you guys overrate running a scouting department and hiring scouts.

Each and every year, going back at least a decade, Chiefs fans have churned out considerably better "mock drafts" than the "professionals.

Lynch wasn't hired as a CPA or lawyer or genetic scientist. He wasn't hired as a criminologist or as the CEO of NASA.

He's the GM of a ****ing football team.

He's a lucky bastard.

So....Chiefs fans are equally qualified to be a general manager as people who spend years in the front office of an NFL team?

Nobody cares if teh Niners suck, but let's be honest, this guy just isn't qualified. Maybe he'll do well, but it'd be shocking as hell. He's never done ANY of this stuff before.

I mean, seriously -- they basically just picked a random good former NFL player and put him in charge of their football operations, and that seems perfectly ok with you?

listopencil 01-29-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12716714)
It's odd: If Peyton Manning was named the GM of the 49ers, people on CP would have the opposite response.

But because it's Lynch, who's obviously qualified and NOT a "figurehead", the decision is derided.

It doesn't make any sense and it certainly doesn't make any sense for Lynch to be a puppet for the next half decade when he was earning plenty from Fox.

I would be surprised if PFM were hired as a GM right now, and I would view it as a considerable risk. Not necessarily a bad risk, but it would be a risky move. I think PFM needs some executive experience at a lower level before being an NFL GM. I don't know what experience Lynch has that makes him a worthy hire for the 9ers. Lynch is a smart guy, but he's not PFM smart, so maybe Lynch has been doing executive stuff on the down low that I am unaware of?

DaneMcCloud 01-29-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12716905)
So....Chiefs fans are equally qualified to be a general manager as people who spend years in the front office of an NFL team?

Nobody cares if teh Niners suck, but let's be honest, this guy just isn't qualified. Maybe he'll do well, but it'd be shocking as hell. He's never done ANY of this stuff before.

I mean, seriously -- they basically just picked a random good former NFL player and put him in charge of their football operations, and that seems perfectly ok with you?

It's ****ing football. The guy has spent his entire life in football.

Good grief. He hasn't been hired to design the first hyperspace craft.

chiefzilla1501 01-29-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12716803)
Manning would be a great hire

Manning would be a great hire because it's no secret that he was basically making all the personnel calls in Indy and basically ran his own offense for years. He is an unusual breed of guy. Lynch will be much less ready.

chiefzilla1501 01-29-2017 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12716920)
It's ****ing football. The guy has spent his entire life in football.

Good grief. He hasn't been hired to design the first hyperspace craft.

He has never managed people, never disciplined or fired someone, never built a workplace culture. He has to do a lot more than drafting guys.

Matt Millen failed because he was learning a lot of these small things right away and made simple mistakes experienced GMs wouldn't make. Hell, time and time and time again ultra-experienced personnel guys like Pioli, Savage, Farmer, and Kokinos fail and fail hard. It's not an easy job. I'm sure he'll do fine drafting players. But how will he negotiate a trade deal, how will he discipline players and coaches, how will he respond to a PR crisis. It would be different if you're pairing him with Andy Reid or Bellichick. But he's paired with a head coach who's too raw to have all the answers himself.

Rain Man 01-29-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12716905)

It worked when they did it with Mike Singletary.

Oh, wait. It didn't work at all.

TimeForWasp 01-29-2017 10:38 PM

Debartalos nephew is a reerun.

TimeForWasp 01-29-2017 10:40 PM

Shit, I might have gotten a second interview on that gig.