ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler just released his first country single (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293279)

KCUnited 07-07-2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11584587)
Aerosmith is a legacy act that can earn hundreds of millions by touring. The problem is that no one is interested in hearing new music from them. Their last couple of records tanked.

Steven's rooted in the blues but no one today wants to hear him on a blues record, especially since it would be Steven Tyler of Aerosmith signing the Blues. But with Country, he's got a chance of developing a new audience.

It's hard to fault him for that.

I don't fault him at all. Eyeballing an emerging market is a smart business decision, but it's exactly that, a business decision.

Tyler jumping to Country, for the sole purpose of attracting a new audience, doesn't move the genre forward. A lot of which has to contributed to Rock's decline, tired shit piled on an already surplus of tired shit.

Bob Dole 07-07-2015 10:03 AM

"Just released"? One of Bob Dole's bands has already covered it at a gig.

DaneMcCloud 07-07-2015 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 11584608)
No, it's the appropriate money grab for him to make.

I disagree. If Steven Tyler was all about a "Money Grab", he can go on tour with Aerosmith and earn his share of $1 million per night. Or, he could go back to American Idol and earn $18 million per season.

There's absolutely no guarantee that he'll $10,000 dollars in Country music, let alone millions.

DaneMcCloud 07-07-2015 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 11584613)
I don't fault him at all. Eyeballing an emerging market is a smart business decision, but it's exactly that, a business decision.

Tyler jumping to Country, for the sole purpose of attracting a new audience, doesn't move the genre forward. A lot of which has to contributed to Rock's decline, tired shit piled on an already surplus of tired shit.

Rock's decline is due to illegal downloading, plain and simple. The industry was bled dry and all the funds that would normally be spend on finding, signing and developing new artists is nowhere to be found.

Country music (Nashville) has never experienced that issue due to the fact that its model is completely different. Outside songwriters account for more than 80% of Country hits. The same producers and players are on nearly every record. Artists are created through slick marketing and song presentation. It's a factory. It's smart business and it's a tough nut to crack but Nashville keeps it going year after year, decade after decade.

Kids today are more interested in pre-fabricated "beats" and EDM than screaming rock guitars and great signing. It's difficult to envision a return to rock's glory days of the 60's through early 90's.

KCUnited 07-07-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11584630)
Rock's decline is due to illegal downloading, plain and simple. The industry was bled dry and all the funds that would normally be spend on finding, signing and developing new artists is nowhere to be found.

Country music (Nashville) has never experienced that issue due to the fact that its model is completely different. Outside songwriters account for more than 80% of Country hits. The same producers and players are on nearly every record. Artists are created through slick marketing and song presentation. It's a factory. It's smart business and it's a tough nut to crack but Nashville keeps it going year after year, decade after decade.

Kids today are more interested in pre-fabricated "beats" and EDM than screaming rock guitars and great signing. It's difficult to envision a return to rock's glory days of the 60's through early 90's.

I'll no doubt concede to you on the industry stuff. I just don't see how a guy choosing to get into Country because no one wants to hear a new record from his old band, or a solo blues album from him, does anything for the genre. Unless he's exposing some unknowns or up and comers through some collaborations. But I don't pay much attention to Country so I shouldn't pretend to understand it's dynamics.

MTG#10 07-07-2015 10:41 AM

He looks like an old lesbian.

mikeyis4dcats. 07-07-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11584587)
Aerosmith is a legacy act that can earn hundreds of millions by touring. The problem is that no one is interested in hearing new music from them. Their last couple of records tanked.

Steven's rooted in the blues but no one today wants to hear him on a blues record, especially since it would be Steven Tyler of Aerosmith signing the Blues. But with Country, he's got a chance of developing a new audience.

It's hard to fault him for that.

Huge Aerosmith fan. I listed to MFAND once. ONCE. It was total crap.

They need to do drugs to make decent music it seems.

nychief 07-07-2015 11:21 AM

Now he has sucked in three genres.... Barf.

lawrenceRaider 07-07-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11584630)

The underlined is 100% horseshit. Rocks decline is all about the incredibly poor product they put out. The same exact problem you describe would be hitting what we loosely call Country these days if illegal downloads were the problem. The reality is that Country is now essentially Rock with a bit of twang.

DaneMcCloud 07-07-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 11585229)
The underlined is 100% horse****. Rocks decline is all about the incredibly poor product they put out. The same exact problem you describe would be hitting what we loosely call Country these days if illegal downloads were the problem. The reality is that Country is now essentially Rock with a bit of twang.

LMAO

Why do you think that the product is so poor? Could it be lack of funding, lack of development? How about the lack of audio engineering and producing experts, all who have left for other fields, whether it's Film/TV mixing and production or Nashville?

Nah, it can't be that!

:facepalm:

Reerun_KC 07-07-2015 03:06 PM

Interesting thread to say the least....

Hoover 07-07-2015 03:18 PM

If Hootie can do it, Tyler sure as hell can.

Recreating himself at 67, props to him.

Deberg_1990 07-07-2015 03:59 PM

So who's the next fading pop/rock star to go country ?

KISS ??

Halfcan 07-07-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11585646)
So who's the next fading pop/rock star to go country ?

KISS ??

They can paint their faces like farm animals. ;)

Hard luck women with banjos might work.

BWillie 07-07-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11584159)
Excellent move by a very talented man. Rock is dead, Country has a much bigger and loyal audience, especially in the younger demographic.

I've noticed that..but I'm not really quite sure why. I read an article about how country music is growing. Yet, I'm pretty sure the rural country population is rapidly dwindling. And, based on social media and any media in general, country music and the mainly Caucasian rural southern population has the worst stereotypes imaginable. Combine that with the other trends by millennials, I find it very odd country music would grow because almost nobody would really want to associate themselves with that image.