ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Healthy food substitutes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290645)

DaneMcCloud 02-16-2015 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11328778)
I was told when in another form some can be tolerated too. I drink beer with no reaction and I don't check what it's made from either.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. If I drink regular beer, my throat swells but with Omission and Estrella Damm Daura, I don't have a reaction.

Same goes for Tito's corn vodka versus Sky or Grey Goose. I have a reaction with the wheat based vodka's but none with Tito's (which is just as good, if not better, IMO).

BucEyedPea 02-16-2015 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11328781)
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. If I drink regular beer, my throat swells but with Omission and Estrella Damm Daura, I don't have a reaction.

Same goes for Tito's corn vodka versus Sky or Grey Goose. I have a reaction with the wheat based vodka's but none with Tito's (which is just as good, if not better, IMO).

Hmm, haven't tried Tito's though I have and keep Grey Goose. Well, everyone's system is different.

Buehler445 02-16-2015 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11328772)
Honestly, I don't know. Instead of trying to find bread alternatives, I turned to corn. Crunchy tacos, steamed corn tortillas, enchiladas over burritos, gluten free protein bars, etc.

It sounds harder than it is to go gluten-free although in all honesty, I wish it wasn't something I had to deal with because it makes eating out really tricky. Something as little as frying French fries with fried chicken can set off my stomach, which blows.

That sucks nutsack. Shit, half my calories during harvest would go away if I couldn't eat wheat.

Quote:

I don't know. I've only used sorghum as a sweetner. I found this for you though:http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-fr...hum-grain.html

Says it's gluten free.That's a good brand too, imo.
[/Quote]

I'm confused. Is it a corn-syrup type product? Sorghum isn't sweet. Unprocessed anyway.

Fire Me Boy! 02-16-2015 05:55 AM

If you need to cut back on salt, use more acids (vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice, etc.). It stimulates your taste buds the way salt does, and it really works pretty well.

KC_Lee 02-16-2015 07:18 AM

Take overripe bananas, slice them up and freeze them. Then toss some into a food processor along with a cup of milk and hit spin. The result is an awesome milk shake.

Add in any frozen fruit, peanut butter or other mix ins.

Fire Me Boy! 02-16-2015 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 11328843)
Take overripe bananas, slice them up and freeze them. Then toss some into a food processor along with a cup of milk and hit spin. The result is an awesome milk shake.

Chunking up bananas and freezing is also a really good way to add creaminess to a smoothie.

And speaking of smoothies, baby spinach can be added to smoothies; the flavor is easily masked by citrus if you don't want your smoothie to taste like spinach.

Simply Red 02-16-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 11328843)

Lemons are good too.

BucEyedPea 02-16-2015 08:53 AM

Another one to replace batter in fried food that uses wheat based flour—tempura.

BucEyedPea 02-16-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11328809)
That sucks nutsack. Shit, half my calories during harvest would go away if I couldn't eat wheat.

That's how I felt when I was first diagnosed with a wheat allergy. It's hidden in so many foods too, like soy sauce. I was starvin' and dropped 12 pounds fast in a few weeks just from avoiding it. I wound up turning to potatoes when I rarely ate them before—I never ate chips, fries or mashed them. Just an occasional baked one and I mostly ate the skin. I even had french fried every day for lunch and still lost weight. I couldn't turn to corn as often as Dane, as I have to rotate any corn as I am sensitive to that even. But it is something I do rely on as a substitute starch or grain. I just limit it.

Quote:

I'm confused. Is it a corn-syrup type product? Sorghum isn't sweet. Unprocessed anyway.
I really don't know much about sorghum, but I had a large jar of it as a sweetener at one time, that last nearly forever. It's a light brown syrup that's made from it. So I know it's made as a grain sweetener. How they do it is beyond me, but google is your friend here. It's like brown rice sweetener which is another grain based sweetener. Heck, if they can make sweetener from corn for corny syrup don't know why they can't from other grains or plants. None of those are exactly sweet unprocessed either, at least not like a sugar.

Fire Me Boy! 02-16-2015 09:00 AM

They make whole grain Goldfish now.

http://www.thegrocerygirls.com/media.../XCO3Z.jpg.jpg

BucEyedPea 02-16-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11328850)
Chunking up bananas and freezing is also a really good way to add creaminess to a smoothie.

And speaking of smoothies, baby spinach can be added to smoothies; the flavor is easily masked by citrus if you don't want your smoothie to taste like spinach.

Pineapple masks it well too. Also, can do with kale or other strong greens.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-16-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 11328654)
I definitely need to try spaghetti squash, not sure why I keep putting it off.

They have a tool that's under 15 Bucks at Walmart that allows you to shed spaghetti squash just like spaghetti noodles. Try it as a substitute to pasta the next time you cook. I'll bet you love it.

Simply Red 02-16-2015 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 11328890)
They have a tool that's under 15 Bucks at Walmart that allows you to shed spaghetti squash just like spaghetti noodles. Try it as a substitute to pasta the next time you cook. I'll bet you love it.

You seem like a pleasant individual.

Fire Me Boy! 02-16-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11328885)
Pineapple masks it well too. Also, can do with kale or other strong greens.

It does. But pineapple is basically a citrus (I know it's not technically, but it's very similar).

Mr. Flopnuts 02-16-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 11328726)
I'm a starch eating fool and potatoes are my weakness. I'll try any ideas for a replacement (as long as it sounds edible). If there's a big pot on the stove I honestly could eat 3-4 helpings. It's insane. I haven't had them in about 2 months. I'm scared to make them lol. I have no self control sometimes.

Dude. Me too. Mashed potatoes are literally one of my top 3 favorite foods. I'm ridiculous around them so I just don't make them anymore.