ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science NASA just announced it'll be visiting this beautiful moon for the first time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290396)

tooge 02-04-2015 08:28 AM

When we colonize it, the currency will be the Euro?

DJJasonp 02-04-2015 08:39 AM

Had to be done:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-f_DPrSEOEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gonzo 02-04-2015 08:46 AM

Jesus. And my health insurance went up 30% this year...
Whatever. **** it. Yaay! Water moon.

Hammock Parties 02-04-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 11310157)
This is exciting news indeed. Titan is the other major target that I hope they include in future missions. Mars seems like a total waste of time. At best it could be a base camp for missions deeper into the solar system. Ceres would probably be a better candidate for something like that though. It would also allow for easier access to the belt for resource pillaging.

I read too much scifi.

Terraform Mars! :)

ROYC75 02-04-2015 10:06 AM

NASA screwed up and took a pic of my eyes.

Garcia Bronco 02-04-2015 10:30 AM

Outer solar system has a low crime rate.

Dave Lane 02-04-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 11310374)
Outer solar system has a low crime rate.

I don't know about that. I heard Pluto got robbed.

DaneMcCloud 02-04-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11310168)
And it's taken these ****ers long enough to get to Europa. Be 20 years behind by the time we get there!

I blame the Space Shuttle program.

I was a fan as a kid and I loved it when NASA, at the behest of fans, renamed the first shuttle, Enterprise. But I think that instead of pouring billions in that now dead program was mostly a waste and the money should have gone to more unmanned space probes.

Hopefully, NASA is starting to get it right.

keg in kc 02-04-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11310392)
I blame the Space Shuttle program.

I was a fan as a kid and I loved it when NASA, at the behest of fans, renamed the first shuttle, Enterprise. But I think that instead of pouring billions in that now dead program was mostly a waste and the money should have gone to more unmanned space probes.

Hopefully, NASA is starting to get it right.

It started when they inexplicably shut down the Apollo program with equipment already bought and paid for and ready to head to the moon. And then as you mention shifted away from exploration and advancement toward the unimaginative low orbital repitition space shuttle program. However I think manned exploration needs to be an integral part of things going forward, for the reason I mentioned earlier: we need to get off earth. Early exploration with robotic craft makes sense but we need to be out there, too.

We also need to actually make some technological strides instead of continuing to rely on chemical rocket technology developed between the 30s and 50s. And I mean something more immediately practical than the Alcubierre drive. There has to be a better way to get payload (and people) into orbit.

And we need to get back to inspiring the leaders of future generations towards doing great things. Does anybody even dream about being astronauts anymore? Hell I'd take a one way trip to mars right now if it was offered. And that comes from that sense of wonder I felt in the 70s and 80s (yeah, even during the shuttle program...). Sometimes I wonder if we've just lost that, as a society.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN 02-04-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11310068)
It would be a major disappointment if a probe didn't find life on Europa

Like they would ever tell the general population if they ever did find some form of alien life. They still won't admit that UFO's exist because they don't think that normal citizens can handle the fact that there is other intelligent life in the Universe.

Easy 6 02-04-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN (Post 11310501)
Like they would ever tell the general population if they ever did find some form of alien life. They still won't admit that UFO's exist because they don't think that normal citizens can handle the fact that there is other intelligent life in the Universe.

I think they would admit to animal life.

WhiteWhale 02-04-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN (Post 11310501)

ROFL

Do you have evidence for this or just... you know... claims made because you watch too much Ancient Aliens?

Easy 6 02-04-2015 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 11310506)
ROFL

Do you have evidence for this or just... you know... claims made because you watch too much Ancient Aliens?

The evidence is there for anyone willing to look.

WhiteWhale 02-04-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11310508)
The evidence is there for anyone willing to look.

Is this like how creationists have 'evidence' and never actually cite it?

Is this how there is 'evidence' that crystals have healing properties but nobody cites it?

Stephen Hawking says if there are aliens we've done a better job of covering it up than anything in human history. What would he know though? He's only the smartest man alive who works in that specific field of study.

If you're going to claim there is evidence we are in contact with alien life the onus is on you to provide it. The burden of proof is not on me to disprove such a ridiculous claim.

Also

ROFL

There's a sucker born every minute.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN 02-04-2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 11310506)
ROFL

Bury your head in the sand all you want. If you're gullible enough to believe what the government spoon feeds you then there's nothing I can say to you to make you change your mind. I like to look at all possibilities and then make up my own mind.