ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Should we start Dyson in game 3 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287763)

cmh6476 10-23-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11043917)
P.S. Penbrook, the genius and liar that he is, has said repeatedly that he never said he wanted Colon to start 3rd in the Wild Card game. He said twice that he said he wanted Colon to start at 2nd. Me, being the asshole that I am, knew that he was lying so I went and found the post:

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost....6&postcount=16

This was in the "Guess Ned's Wild Card Lineup."

He also added several posts on this topic including even advocating Jayson Nix to start at 3rd because of his BVP against Lester.

u sure it wasn't a tweet?

Also, how can we even question ned at this point? Whatever he wants to do is golden

Prison Bitch 10-23-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11043910)
Aoki is much better at the plate than Dyson
Aoki isn't a bad outfielder
Dyson isn't a great outfielder

Dyson is elite, and a credible case could be made he's the best defender in the entire game.

-King- 10-23-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11044293)
You need to get off that, man. You're just wrong.

This.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good 10-23-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 11044266)
Dyson, with extended time, gets exposed as a defensive liability because of his lack of instincts, numbers at present be damned.

No. Dyson is the furthest thing from a defensive liability. He is an elite defender. The guy gets to everything. More playing time will sharpen his instincts.

I don't have a strong opinion either way as to whether or not he starts (I would start him), but to pretend that he shouldn't play over Aoki because we would be sacrificing defense is ridiculous. Dyson makes diving catches. Aoki keeps falling down for no apparent reason.

TLO 10-23-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11044382)
Dyson is elite, and a credible case could be made he's the best defender in the entire game.

Dyson is fun to watch in the outfield, but best defender in the entire game?

Nope.

mr. tegu 10-23-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11044297)
You've been saying it for years it's just one of those things you need to drop because, ya know, it's just incorrect

I have been defending Dyson for pretty much my whole time here. There are a few people who for some reason cannot accept that Dyson is a pretty good player with real value. I remember when we were playing the Dodgers (I think) this season the argument was endless in a game thread about him. I believe the next day Dyson hit his home run.

Demonpenz 10-23-2014 05:21 PM

I am fine with Aoki...putting Dyson in RF smells like throwing a couple screen passes and a reverse to Dante Hall and then all the sudden he sucks at the return game

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-23-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11044177)
He's a much better defensive player. Aoki is a much better overall player on offense, even with this recent slump. His play in the 2nd half of the season is one of the biggest reasons we made the playoffs.

That play was based upon unsustainable batted ball luck. He had something like a .445 BABIP in September and the guy is a ground ball hitter. That is absolutely ridiculously lucky.

Even with that finish his wRC was 104, which means he was a roughly league average hitter and he's a poor defensive OF.

In SF you patrol a huge CF with the quirkiest RF in baseball. You need someone with tremendous speed and instincts to avoid blunders in the OF.

While Aoki may give you a slight advantage at the plate, that's the only place where he does it, and he doesn't have the ability to routinely get enough XBH to overcome the ability that Dyson does to save runs in the field (noticed by his ridiculous DRS and UZR ratings), nor is he as good on the paths.

Moreover, if you want someone solely for the purpose of being a PR, you use Gore.

The argument to use Dyson as a PR is not all that different from saying that the Giants should use Hunter Pence as a PH only because you might find the perfect spot to use him for one AB.

Put your better players in the game for longer period and they will have more chances to affect the outcome. Every ball that Cain gets to in RF that Aoki wouldn't is no different than Dyson giving you a single, double, etc.

DeezNutz 10-23-2014 05:22 PM

Well, the best defensive player in the game should make for a very strong trade chip in the off-season in terms of acquiring power.

Completely wrong. He is elite. Nails on the routine play. No bobbles, etc.

Aoki isn't great. Far from it. But I'd be inclined to stay consistent with a team playing at this level in the post-season.

DeezNutz 10-23-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11044468)
That play was based upon unsustainable batted ball luck. He had something like a .445 BABIP in September and the guy is a ground ball hitter. That is absolutely ridiculously lucky.

Even with that finish his wRC was 104, which means he was a roughly league average hitter and he's a poor defensive OF.

In SF you patrol a huge CF with the quirkiest RF in baseball. You need someone with tremendous speed and instincts to avoid blunders in the OF.

While Aoki may give you a slight advantage at the plate, that's the only place where he does it, and he doesn't have the ability to routinely get enough XBH to overcome the ability that Dyson does to save runs in the field (noticed by his ridiculous DRS and UZR ratings), nor is he as good on the paths.

Moreover, if you want someone solely for the purpose of being a PR, you use Gore.

The argument to use Dyson as a PR is not all that different from saying that the Giants should use Hunter Pence as a PH only because you might find the perfect spot to use him for one AB.

Put your better players in the game for longer period and they will have more chances to affect the outcome. Every ball that Cain gets to in RF that Aoki wouldn't is no different than Dyson giving you a single, double, etc.

Dyson. Start him.

KChiefs1 10-23-2014 05:25 PM

Yes

cosmo20002 10-23-2014 05:41 PM

Honest question--besides "Ned is a jackass" and "Ned is ****ing stupid" why doesn't Dyson regularly start?

If Aoki is such a liability in the OF and there's no drop-off in hitting, why is Aoki the one out there every night?

bsroyals54 10-23-2014 05:47 PM

Can we all just look back and realize Hud was right all along with his positivity? Here we are in the World Series and winning games. I miss our lovable dumbass. I truly do.

PLANET MOON!

Prison Bitch 10-23-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11044503)
Honest question--besides "Ned is a jackass" and "Ned is ****ing stupid" why doesn't Dyson regularly start?

If Aoki is such a liability in the OF and there's no drop-off in hitting, why is Aoki the one out there every night?

Because defense is 1/3 as valuable as hitting . And because he uses him the last few innings anyway

Hootie 10-23-2014 05:58 PM

I don't disagree that Dyson makes total sense to start in CF shifting Cain to RF

but I just don't think we need to mess with the chemistry right now with something that's working

If we are going to put Dyson in, though, here's our new order:

Escobar
Hosmer
Cain
Moose
Perez
Gordon
Infante
Dyson
Pitcher