ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV What's your favorite John Wayne movie? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285429)

dilligaf 08-03-2014 12:11 AM

McClintock or True Grit. I've always liked McQ also because I saw it with my dad and I loved the Trans Am in that movie.

Nzoner 08-03-2014 12:14 AM

WTF how about this classic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hyJJYKneIx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner 08-03-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf (Post 10790969)
McClintock or True Grit. I've always liked McQ also because I saw it with my dad and I loved the Trans Am in that movie.

:thumb:

EPodolak 08-03-2014 01:26 AM

Not a Wayne fan but men like Ford and Hawks made good use of him. Stagecoach, The Searchers, Red River, and The Long Voyage home are the favorites.

Saccopoo 08-03-2014 01:49 AM

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lee Marvin and directed by John Ford. (Most critics consider this Ford's greatest work.)

Also, as a bit of trivia, the title song sung by Gene Pitney and written by Burt Bacharach was recorded for the movie, but rumor has it that Ford didn't like it and left it out. However, it was released independently and reached #4 on Billboard the same year that the movie was released (1962).

***** - rogerebert.com
93% - Rotten Tomatoes

From Classic Film Guide:
Quote:

This is one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time, and I've avoided writing anything about it for a long time for two reasons: it's been a while since I last watched it and, more importantly, I'm afraid I can't do it justice. While I've written about other favorite films of mine, the former reason is probably why I won't be recounting its plot in any detail now. I did write briefly about this most essential of Westerns in my political campaign films essay, but I've always felt that I should add something more formal to this website.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bN0onE09-8c?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/363ZAmQEA84?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vDN4L7cAQf0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cwhocares 08-03-2014 05:45 AM

Too many to choose from. I've been a BIG fan ever since I can remember. He was my hero growing up. He was my favorite actor of all time. Wayne took care of his acting friends also. You repeatedly see them in his movies; Ben Johnson, Victor McGlauflin, Ward Bond, Maureen O'hare ect. I have a picture of him, that my wife allows me to hang in the bedroom. Not many women would allow that kind of decor.

milkman 08-03-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwhocares (Post 10791066)
Too many to choose from. I've been a BIG fan ever since I can remember. He was my hero growing up. He was my favorite actor of all time. Wayne took care of his acting friends also. You repeatedly see them in his movies; Ben Johnson, Victor McGlauflin, Ward Bond, Maureen O'hare ect. I have a picture of him, that my wife allows me to hang in the bedroom. Not many women would allow that kind of decor.

She probably uses it for masturbation.

Coyote 08-03-2014 06:52 AM

Combat: Sands of Iwo Jima
Western: True Grit
Drama: The Quiet Man
Obscure: Jet Pilot

BigRedChief 08-03-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10791076)
She probably uses it for masturbation.

well played sir, well played!

Zebedee DuBois 08-03-2014 07:07 AM

This movie does not have John Wayne, but it is one of my favorite westerns.
The Big Country starred Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, Chuck Conner, and Charles Bickford. It was 'epic'.

As for Wayne, I'll cast a vote for Liberty Valance.

Dunerdr 08-03-2014 07:14 AM

I liked his appearance in family guy. "Happy Thanksgiving pilgrims"

Mennonite 08-03-2014 08:55 AM

I'll probably go with The Shootist (1976). I've been meaning to check out the book for years, but I've never gotten around to it.

I'm a big fan of westerns, but oddly enough, I never liked John Wayne. He always seemed to sleepwalk through his movies. I hated the way he delivered dialog too; almost as if he were just reading the script aloud in a bemused sort of way. He never acted like his characters were concerned about their predicaments so I never felt much concern as a viewer.

p.s. If anyone is a fan of his movie "The Searchers" do yourself a favor and check out the book it was based on. It's fantastic.

Deberg_1990 08-03-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 10790970)
WTF how about this classic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hyJJYKneIx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heh, didn't he make two of those?

That must have been his answer to the Dirty Harry series and westerns were starting to die out in the early 70s.

GloucesterChief 08-03-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10791233)
Heh, didn't he make two of those?

That must have been his answer to the Dirty Harry series and westerns were starting to die out in the early 70s.

Blazing Saddles killed the Western for quite a while.

Mennonite 08-03-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10791267)
Blazing Saddles killed the Western for quite a while.

I think extreme overexposure killed westerns. Theater's and tv were flooded with them throughout the 50's and 60's. Strict new anti violence rules for tv in 68 finished off the tv western. The rise of urban crime thrillers combined with Hollywood's more "enlightened" revisionist westerns killed the big screen westerns.