ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Daniel Manning visiting Chiefs on Thurs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282710)

planetdoc 04-01-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10532382)
People pumping up JAGs like Hussain Abdullah.

Hussain Abdullah is not a JAG. He played well for the Vikings, and they wanted to re-sign him. He took a yr off for religious reasons (and he was coming off a serious concussion).

He only started 3 games with the chiefs (2 regular season and 1 playoff). He essentially started week 16 and 17. Against san diego he had 8 tackles, and against Indy he had 6 tackles, 2 PD, 2 INT. He came on really strong.

D. Manning is not going to beat that type of production. I dont want a backup spot being taken by a 32yr old guy who's arrow is pointing down. Those backup positions should be used on guys with real ability.

Teams usually keep 8-10 dbs on the roster. chiefs kept 9 last yr. Smith, flowers, cooper, owens, abdullah, berry, commings are roster locks. That leaves 2 spots one of which Ron parker will be pencilled in (due to his speed, ST ability, and familiarity with the scheme).

I would rather those last 2 spots go to players who have the ability to develop. D. Manning is not such a player.

Discuss Thrower 04-01-2014 12:40 PM

Pass.

Easy 6 04-01-2014 12:48 PM

Decent depth... wouldn't cheer, wouldn't cry.

Easy 6 04-01-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10532422)
Hussain Abdullah is not a JAG. He played well for the Vikings, and they wanted to re-sign him. He took a yr off for religious reasons (and he was coming off a serious concussion).

He only started 3 games with the chiefs (2 regular season and 1 playoff). He essentially started week 16 and 17. Against san diego he had 8 tackles, and against Indy he had 6 tackles, 2 PD, 2 INT. He came on really strong.

D. Manning is not going to beat that type of production. I dont want a backup spot being taken by a 32yr old guy who's arrow is pointing down. Those backup positions should be used on guys with real ability.

Teams usually keep 8-10 dbs on the roster. chiefs kept 9 last yr. Smith, flowers, cooper, owens, abdullah, berry, commings are roster locks. That leaves 2 spots one of which Ron parker will be pencilled in (due to his speed, ST ability, and familiarity with the scheme).

I would rather those last 2 spots go to players who have the ability to develop. D. Manning is not such a player.

Abdullah just isnt a true FS IMO, he doesn't have the necessary speed, but he will make a great backup for Berry.

But he'll probably get some looks at FS in redzone packages, where long speed isn't as much of a concern with the end zone backing him up.

planetdoc 04-01-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10532463)
Abdullah just isnt a true FS IMO, he doesn't have the necessary speed,

At this point I cant disagree with you. That being said, D. Manning isnt going to beat either Berry or Abdullah out.

If the chiefs want to bring him in with a non-guaranteed incentive laden contract, than I am ok with it. It would be a no-risk contract since he would have to earn a roster spot by beating out the competition in camp.

I just wouldnt give him a contract that guarantees a roster spot or guarantees him any money if he is cut before the start of the season.

RealSNR 04-01-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10532306)
We have Eric Berry and crossed fingers at the position - we should be bringing in anyone with a pulse at this point.

Even Kendrick Lewis?

ct 04-01-2014 01:00 PM

most likely if they sign him it'll be this year's Quentin Demps, depth, little PT, some ST contributions, but hopefully nothing guaranteed, cut from camp if he get beat out by younger guys.

Easy 6 04-01-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10532472)
At this point I cant disagree with you. That being said, D. Manning isnt going to beat either Berry or Abdullah out.

If the chiefs want to bring him in with a non-guaranteed incentive laden contract, than I am ok with it. It would be a no-risk contract since he would have to earn a roster spot by beating out the competition in camp.

I just wouldnt give him a contract that guarantees a roster spot or guarantees him any money if he is cut before the start of the season.

Right, I'm all for protecting the team contract-wise.

I'm just coming from the standpoint of, we have to get depth from somewhere, and guys like this are all that's left out there.

ed* he IS a SS... so, strange move... maybe they're actually wanting Abdullah and Commings to compete for FS?

Easy 6 04-01-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10532289)
+1
I've seen just about every game he's played as a Texan and he WAS good when first signed and played well early on, but he's been in serious decline ever since. He just kept getting nicked up and it always slowed him down. Then last year he was injured and missed most of the season. I don't know that he can make it back to anything resembling what he was before the injury - and as I said, he was in decline then. At this stage in his career he doesn't offer any upgrade over what we have on the roster. However, he is a very good guy to have in the locker room and could provide leadership to teach the young guys. He is a consummate pro and a class act. Problem is he thinks he can offer more than that and wants more money than he's worth. The Texans would have kept him had he agreed to a pay cut - he didn't so he got cut. I'd pass on him.

Sooo, Mike Brown 2.0?

CaliforniaChief 04-01-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10532440)
Pass.

Which is what offensive coordinators will be saying all year next year.
(Not saying Manning's the answer, BTW)

planetdoc 04-01-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10532480)
ed* he IS a SS... so, strange move... maybe they're actually wanting Abdullah and Commings to compete for FS?

or eric berry. I think that was his role in the playoff game against Indy....and he looked uncomfortable with it due to the lack of familiarity.

if you look at the highlight videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxSANhjCag

3:09 Eric Berry is playing deep safety position. There are other examples, but this was just one.

Easy 6 04-01-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10532520)
or eric berry. I think that was his role in the playoff game against Indy....and he looked uncomfortable with it due to the lack of familiarity.

if you look at the highlight videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxSANhjCag

3:09 Eric Berry is playing deep safety position. There are other examples, but this was just one.

Theres a school of thought that says he's too far gone, too muscled up to be a FS these days, I disagree... let him lose some mass in the conditioning program and play him exclusively at FS through OTA's, camp and preseason.

He's plenty talented enough to round back into form, it will be SO much easier to find the perfect SS than it is to find someone with the range for FS... stick Abdullah at strong and call it good.

That would also give Commings the chance to learn the game in spot duty, not being thrown to the starting wolves with O game experience.

RunKC 04-01-2014 02:00 PM

Good move bringing him in. We don't need an all star. We need someone who is competent at the position.

Eleazar 04-01-2014 02:10 PM

My question:

Why would Houston let this guy go and bring in Kendrick Lewis?

The Franchise 04-01-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10532540)
Theres a school of thought that says he's too far gone, too muscled up to be a FS these days, I disagree... let him lose some mass in the conditioning program and play him exclusively at FS through OTA's, camp and preseason.

He's plenty talented enough to round back into form, it will be SO much easier to find the perfect SS than it is to find someone with the range for FS... stick Abdullah at strong and call it good.

That would also give Commings the chance to learn the game in spot duty, not being thrown to the starting wolves with O game experience.

It allows you to put Commings where he should be......your third safety that has the ability to play CB in a pinch if needed.