ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs New GM Dorsey brings energy, enthusiasm to first training camp with Chiefs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274667)

chiefzilla1501 07-20-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9823455)
If we win playoff games those picks don't matter. However we can't use the chiefs history of whiffing on 2 rounders against this regime same as we can't use previous qb trades.

Agreed.

We can't settle for 1 playoff win, of course. But we do have to get that 1 playoff win to lift the curse. That in itself makes it worth the picks. But they have to keep taking chances on QBs.

Hoover 07-20-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9823316)
Yeah, those guys grow on trees. Everyone in the league has a future Hall of Famer at QB except the Chiefs.

Exorbitant? What the ****? Have you seen the Chiefs second round draft history? In 2010, the Chiefs selected McCluster (who's been garbage) and Arenas, who was traded. What about such "gems" as Junior Siavii, Eddie Freeman, William Bartee, Kris Wilson or a second rounder for Patrick Surtain?

You have absolutely NO idea if the trade value was "exorbitant" because Alex Smith hasn't played a single down in Kansas City. Furthermore, 95% of this forum LOVED the results of the Trent Green trade, due to the fact that the Chiefs had such a potent offense, yet he guided the team to really only ONE playoff appearance which was a loss (Huard was the better QB in 2006).

For example, let's look at the NFL Value Chart, which I think is outdated, but it will at least give us a base for this conversation:

#12 overall: 1,200 points
#34 overall: 560 points

So, if Alex Smith guides this team to a 6-10 record this year (like Trent Green in 2001), the Chiefs will surrender a 3rd round draft choice, which would put the draft value at somewhere around 215 points. At that point, the Chiefs will have paid about 775 points, which is about 34% less than what they paid for Trent Green. If they go 8-8 or better, the value equals somewhere around 400 points, or 960 in total, which is about 20% less than the Green trade. Either way, it's much less than the Chiefs paid for Green to play for six seasons and lead the Chiefs to no playoff victories, yet people still revere him.

Regardless, IF Alex Smith leads this team to a single playoff game during his tenure, it could be considered to be a much better trade than the Trent Green trade, especially considering the fact that the Chiefs passed on Drew Brees, who is a probable Hall of Famer.

THIS.

Over time I have embraced the A. Smith trade. I hated losing out 2nd round pick last year, but I feel we have a legit QB or at least one that will no longer prevent us from winning. As I look at the rest of the roster, I don't see much in terms of needs. For the first time in years, I'm excited for the start of the season. I would have been nice had there be a QB worth the first overall pick, but there wasn't.

RealSNR 07-20-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9823456)
If the Chiefs went 2-14 for the next decade, they'd probably be sued by the county and looking for a new city when their lease expires.

I'm sorry but that's just absurd.

And I wouldn't care any less. The franchise would have already died a long time ago.

1994-2013+ is NOT something I ever want to go through again.

tredadda 07-20-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9823481)
THIS.

Over time I have embraced the A. Smith trade. I hated losing out 2nd round pick last year, but I feel we have a legit QB or at least one that will no longer prevent us from winning. As I look at the rest of the roster, I don't see much in terms of needs. For the first time in years, I'm excited for the start of the season. I would have been nice had there be a QB worth the first overall pick, but there wasn't.

I don't get why everyone is freaking about giving up essentially one 2nd rounder for him. This years would have been the equivalent of drafting a 2nd round QB. I think people get too hung up on the "potential" of a pick more than anything else. Remember when we would have had to give up a ton to move up for RGIII? People were saying giving up multiple first rounders was too much. Well so far we would have in essence given up Poe and Fisher for him.

Mav 07-20-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9823150)
Well, the Chiefs organization hasn't really earned the benefit of the doubt- have they?

By the way, nice name-calling. Speaks volumes about you as a person.

Im a straight shooter. Im also a life long military dude, who uses profanity. Whoops.......

bevischief 07-20-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9823107)
Cool read, like the enthusiasm.

But really, I don't care much about all this. Just win games. Don't care how, just win. Nothing else matters.

Nice read hope this leads to wins. Show me.

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9823150)
By the way, nice name-calling. Speaks volumes about you as a person.

Says the Drunk Guy.

LMAO

Profanity has exactly zero to do with a person's character.

Titty Meat 07-20-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9823424)
We've already analyzed this.

There isn't.

Lol Geno Smith couldn't even hold Teddy Bridgewaters jock strap. I'd take Braxton Miller over Geno Smith.

J Diddy 07-20-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9824366)
Lol Geno Smith couldn't even hold Teddy Bridgewaters jock strap. I'd take Braxton Miller over Geno Smith.

does Braxton Miller have a dong like goldbergs in the Longest Yard? If so I could see the difficulty in holding the jock strap.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-20-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9824366)

Bridgewater? Jesus Christ, NO to the class of 2014. Seriously, two more years of Axl before that class, please.

bigjosh 07-20-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9824439)
Bridgewater? Jesus Christ, NO to the class of 2014. Seriously, two more years of Axl before that class, please.

I think aaron murray is a promising prospect. there is talent at qb in this draft, just PLEASE NO ****ING JOHNNY FOOTBALL!

bigjosh 07-20-2013 09:54 PM

I think Logan Thomas will end up sparking some interest this year too. but it all rides on how the ncaa season plays out. I think if any team can unseat Bama, it is Aaron Murray and The bulldogs.

el borracho 07-20-2013 11:51 PM

I don't really care if the Smith trade appears better than the Green trade... unlike your stated 95%, I hated the Green trade. Green was set to become a free agent the following year. Apparently, Vermeil thought it was uber-important to have Green here to teach Snoop Minnis the offense. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Actually, when I think about it, I have hated most of the trades the Chiefs have made in recent history. Hated the trade for Green (could have had him for free the next season). Hated the trade for Herm (known loser). Hated the trade for Cassel (too much compensation for an unknown). And now this hideous trade for Smith (a qb who averages less than 200 yards and less than 2 tds per game).

Given the results of the last two decades, I don't see how anyone could possibly call these trades a success.

el borracho 07-20-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9824151)
Says the Drunk Guy.

LMAO

Profanity has exactly zero to do with a person's character.

1. I'm not actually drunk. The name was selected in jest (like calling a fat guy "Tiny").

2. I didn't make any remark about profanity; I commented on the name-calling.

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9824674)
1. I'm not actually drunk. The name was selected in jest (like calling a fat guy "Tiny").

2. I didn't make any remark about profanity; I commented on the name-calling.

You still appear to have lady parts