ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop acid reflux! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265417)

lewdog 11-12-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13213484)
These can all lower your lower esophageal sphincter tone: Fatty foods, soda, onions, peppermint, chocolate, garlic, and booze,

Citrus, coffee, spicy foods, and tobacco will irritate the mucosa of your stomach.

Avoid using aspirin and ibuprofen, if possible. Don't wear tight-fitting clothes, and lose weight to lessen the pressure on your abdomen. Don't eat w/in 3 hours of bed, and lessen the size of your meals.

There are also a number of medications that can lessen the tone of your lower esophageal sphincter, which will promote reflux.

Add tomatoes (for many), caffeine in general and possible elevating your bed a bit to sleep. The rest of that is good info. Focus on lean meats, exercises and losing weight.

I'll get you a nice handout you can put on your fridge for a good reminder.

MTG#10 11-12-2017 08:14 PM

I have to use ranitidine daily but one 150mg pill lasts all day. I've been doing this for about a year now, should I be concerned about it causing cancer?

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 13213515)
I have to use ranitidine daily but one 150mg pill lasts all day. I've been doing this for about a year now, should I be concerned about it causing cancer?

Ranitidine is a different class of medication. It works on histamine receptors, whereas proton pump inhibitors inhibit the H+/K+ ATPase

headsnap 11-12-2017 09:14 PM

seriously, drink metamucil and it will take care of the acid problem.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap (Post 13213722)
seriously, drink metamucil and it will take care of the acid problem.

There is no literature to support this claim; there is no indication for the use of psylium to treat heartburn, and there are numerous oral agents you can take if you don't want to cause bloating and flatulence.

If you're looking for something to "absorb" the acid, use something that will actually work chemically--an antacid.

If you want something to soothe the lining of your stomach, use alginate, like Gaviscon or faringel.

OnTheWarpath15 11-14-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13213172)
Check your PMs.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

kcxiv 11-14-2017 04:25 PM

I usually just eat an apple and i feel better. works for me most of the time. My only real problem is when i eat tomatoes or drink orange juice, that shit ****s me up. Its not super bad, but its enough to be annoying.

MTG#10 11-14-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13213530)
Ranitidine is a different class of medication. It works on histamine receptors, whereas proton pump inhibitors inhibit the H+/K+ ATPase

Are you a doctor or a pharmacist? Just curious with all of your knowledge on the subject.

007 11-15-2017 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13213467)
Definitely. I have some good handouts at work that I will try to remember to scan so I can send you them.

Can I ask if you are overweight and have recently gained weight?

any further info you can provide would be great. This combo is becoming a real problem for me in that I can't get enough sleep. I've tried the wedge pillow and so far it is not working out well for me. I wake up several times a day because my back hurts. If I can just keep the crap from sneaking up into my throat while sleeping the issue would be easier to deal with.

lewdog 11-15-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13217525)
any further info you can provide would be great. This combo is becoming a real problem for me in that I can't get enough sleep. I've tried the wedge pillow and so far it is not working out well for me. I wake up several times a day because my back hurts. If I can just keep the crap from sneaking up into my throat while sleeping the issue would be easier to deal with.

Can’t PM you the handouts because i can’t attach files through the message system here?