ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money What would you do? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248829)

ThatRaceCardGuy 08-22-2011 06:54 PM

My fiance just graduated from KU with her Masters ( and a 4.0) She is working for the state in a low income area , and in return her student loans are being partially paid off from the government. Its a good deal because her services are greatly needed in the neighborhood she and I grew up in.

wazu 08-22-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7843721)
Yeah, no arguments there. I just keep going back and forth on the issue. As I've mentioned, the numbers pretty clearly say that I should just wait. But the time will come here pretty shortly where I am $17,500 away from being able to say I'm debt free (aside from the mortgage), and I know it's gonna grate at my nerves to have it sitting out there.

Just pay it and be done with it. There's so much value to just being "done" with all that garbage. Get there as fast as you can and enjoy it once you get there.

Saul Good 08-22-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatguy (Post 7843819)
My fiance just graduated from KU with her Masters ( and a 4.0) She is working for the state in a low income area , and in return her student loans are being partially paid off from the government. Its a good deal because her services are greatly needed in the neighborhood she and I grew up in.

Wow.

That had nothing to do with anything.

Saul Good 08-22-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazu (Post 7843903)
Just pay it and be done with it. There's so much value to just being "done" with all that garbage. Get there as fast as you can and enjoy it once you get there.

There's even more value in knowing that you've got the $17,500 sitting in an account in case you need it and then not needing it.

DeezNutz 08-22-2011 08:41 PM

The answer is option two, and it's not even close.

AndChiefs 08-22-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7843989)
Wow.

That had nothing to do with anything.

She got the 4.0. Not him.

wazu 08-22-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7843994)
There's even more value in knowing that you've got the $17,500 sitting in an account in case you need it and then not needing it.

It's a slow build to $11,200. Oh, and he gets to deal with creditors for the next five years harassing him. And a destroyed credit rating. (Note: this may not be important unless there are job opportunities that require a credit/background check.) And at the end of it all he would be counting on nobody changing the "forgiveness" rules.

No thanks. If you can shed that monkey, then do it.

Phobia 08-22-2011 09:08 PM

They 1099 you for the forgiveness part in 5 years? That's another cost to consider into the issue.

cdcox 08-22-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7843721)
I know it's gonna grate at my nerves to have it sitting out there.

My nerves could take a lot of grating for $11K.

Saul Good 08-22-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazu (Post 7844142)
It's a slow build to $11,200. Oh, and he gets to deal with creditors for the next five years harassing him. And a destroyed credit rating. (Note: this may not be important unless there are job opportunities that require a credit/background check.) And at the end of it all he would be counting on nobody changing the "forgiveness" rules.

My wife owes about $20K. She's 2 years into the 5 year deal that will pay back $17,500 of it. I've got that sitting in an account drawing a little interest while we make the payments on time.

If she decides to change careers or stop working, the money is there to pay it all off. Otherwise, she gets $17,500 in 3 years, and we pay off the loan.

There's no harassment. My credit is 800+, and hers is in the upper 700s. The only possible reason to pay it off would be if you were worried about the government reneging on the deal, and you wanted to avoid 5 years of interest on the debt by paying it off early.

I'm not worried about that, and the interest is 2.25% on my wife's loans. (It sounds like it's higher for Phobia's, but I don't know that for certain.) Either way, it sounds like he's working on other debts as well.

At the very least, he should move this one to the bottom of the stack and focus on the other debts first.

Saul Good 08-22-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7844151)
They 1099 you for the forgiveness part in 5 years? That's another cost to consider into the issue.

I haven't looked into it, but I would assume so.

wazu 08-22-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7844183)
My wife owes about $20K. She's 2 years into the 5 year deal that will pay back $17,500 of it. I've got that sitting in an account drawing a little interest while we make the payments on time.

If she decides to change careers or stop working, the money is there to pay it all off. Otherwise, she gets $17,500 in 3 years, and we pay off the loan.

There's no harassment. My credit is 800+, and hers is in the upper 700s. The only possible reason to pay it off would be if you were worried about the government reneging on the deal, and you wanted to avoid 5 years of interest on the debt by paying it off early.

I'm not worried about that, and the interest is 2.25% on my wife's loans. (It sounds like it's higher for Phobia's, but I don't know that for certain.) Either way, it sounds like he's working on other debts as well.

At the very least, he should move this one to the bottom of the stack and focus on the other debts first.

Okay, stand corrected on that part, then. I have heard of companies making a business out of collecting on student loans just like they would credit cards. Maybe some of that has changed with the recent overhaul to credit rules. Surprised it doesn't affect credit rating, though.

DaFace 08-22-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazu (Post 7844142)

Not sure where the creditors stuff came in here. I'm not talking about passing on required payments. In fact, to de-simplify it a bit, it's currently sitting at $25k with a $200 minimum monthly payment. By my calculations, if we just pay that minimum for 5 years, it'll be sitting at around $17.5k.

Like Saul Good, my credit's at around 800, and the wife is at around 785. We're not in trouble of screwing up here. It's purely a matter of what the best approach is for the situation.

DaFace 08-22-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7844151)

I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure of that. Good point, though.

Saul Good 08-22-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazu (Post 7844200)
Okay, stand corrected on that part, then. I have heard of companies making a business out of collecting on student loans just like they would credit cards. Maybe some of that has changed with the recent overhaul to credit rules. Surprised it doesn't affect credit rating, though.

Nothing is changed. You keep paying the monthly payment during those 5 years, so there is no reason for collectors to call. The question isn't whether or not he should stop paying. The question is whether he should just pay the whole thing off and be done with it.