ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Joe Satriani Sues Coldplay for Plagiarism (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197871)

Reaper16 12-06-2008 12:20 PM

Coldplay is guilty. Nothing more. Nothing less.

DaneMcCloud 12-06-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 5272873)
You can't make it any more clear than you did. Coldplay should hire you. If I was on the jury, I'd vote in favor of Coldplay after what you just posted.

Are you joking?

Seriously?

DaneMcCloud 12-06-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 5272876)
There's nothing original about a 4/4 tempo... And, for that matter, apparently that melody.

Um, apparently, you know absolutely nothing about music.

Brock 12-06-2008 12:28 PM

I wonder who Joe stole it from?

Taco John 12-06-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5272904)
Are you joking?

Seriously?

Not at all. I thought mcan presented a pretty sound defense for Cold Play. If I was on the jury, I'd rule in their favor.

And for what it's worth, I'm a fan of Satch, and don't really listen to Coldplay.

Taco John 12-06-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5272905)

I know enough to know that a 4/4 tempo isn't patented.

chagrin 12-06-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5272905)

Ding

DaneMcCloud 12-06-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 5273319)
I know enough to know that a 4/4 tempo isn't patented.

Patented?

ROFL

DaneMcCloud 12-06-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 5273314)
Not at all. I thought mcan presented a pretty sound defense for Cold Play. If I was on the jury, I'd rule in their favor.

Then you're ****ing stupid.

Silock 12-06-2008 06:37 PM

For once, I totally agree with everything Dane has said about something.

As a musician, I cannot fathom how anyone can NOT hear the obvious similarities.

Taco John 12-06-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 5273665)
For once, I totally agree with everything Dane has said about something.

As a musician, I cannot fathom how anyone can NOT hear the obvious similarities.

I hear the obvious similarities of four songs. Dane is right, they sound familiar. Mcan is right, that's because the chord arrangement is pretty generic.

As a musician, I know that C-D-G is pretty damn common too. No ballad could have been written in the last 30 years without it.

Silock 12-06-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 5274078)
I hear the obvious similarities of four songs. Dane is right, they sound familiar. Mcan is right, that's because the chord arrangement is pretty generic.

As a musician, I know that C-D-G is pretty damn common too. No ballad could have been written in the last 30 years without it.

So, if they're similar enough that you can lay one on top of the other, hear the melody of Coldplay's song follow JS' solo nearly perfectly . . . how is that not some kind of actionable legal issue?

DaneMcCloud 12-06-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 5274078)

As a musician, you're certainly no prodigy.

First off, 4/4 does NOT refer to Tempo, as I stated earlier. It refers to Time Signature. Both songs are at the same exact TEMPO, meaning the same exact beats per minute. That is exclusive from time signature. That is no coincidence.

Secondly, the case at hand has absolutely NOTHING to do with the commonality of the chord progression and EVERYTHING to do with melody and plagiarism.

Again, copyright law states "Lyrics and Melody". If the melody is identical, regardless of the underlying "chords", that's plagiarism by the book.

Comprende?

Intellectual property is a very difficult concept for most people to understand. And YES, Satriani copyrighted the melody heard in both songs four years before Coldplay. The similarities are such that Satriani most certainly has evidence of plagiarism.

Buehler445 12-06-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5274494)
As a musician, you're certainly no prodigy.

First off, 4/4 does NOT refer to Tempo, as I stated earlier. It refers to Time Signature. Both songs are at the same exact TEMPO, meaning the same exact beats per minute. That is exclusive from time signature. That is no coincidence.

Secondly, the case at hand has absolutely NOTHING to do with the commonality of the chord progression and EVERYTHING to do with melody and plagiarism.

Again, copyright law states "Lyrics and Melody". If the melody is identical, regardless of the underlying "chords", that's plagiarism by the book.

Comprende?

Intellectual property is a very difficult concept for most people to understand. And YES, Satriani copyrighted the melody heard in both songs four years before Coldplay. The similarities are such that Satriani most certainly has evidence of plagiarism.

Copywrite is established at publication, correct?

HMc 12-06-2008 10:48 PM

Can we get a link to this piece of Legislation?