ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Taking a break from the NFL obsession (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315802)

Molitoth 06-14-2018 01:03 PM

Life is so much better not giving a shit about sports teams.

htismaqe 06-14-2018 01:13 PM

I actually checked out a few years ago but with Mahomes taking over, it makes PERFECT sense to do this now.

Yeah, the Mahomes era is going to be exciting. But starting out with a "don't care" baseline means he (and the team) can only exceed expectations. There's no downside.

Best22 06-14-2018 01:16 PM

The smarter fan would have taken a hiatus from 1970-2017, then started up again in 2018

ToxSocks 06-14-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 13592833)
Life is so much better not giving a shit about sports teams.

I would rather have loved and lost than to have no loved at all.

banecat 06-14-2018 02:58 PM

I can admire your discipline. I'd like to take a hiatus from watching football on Sundays. Three hours per game, and so many stoppages with many of them just for advertisements, and the product being directed to people who normally wouldn't be watching, and it's a business and so they have to sell the product and pay for the product. I get that. But if there's football on I'm watching it. A labor dispute is the only way to pull me away, and as much as college football isn't quite the same with being inferior, it's different enough to make it very enjoyable, and for the first three months there are so many games to choose from every Saturday at the same time that it's beautiful

KChiefs1 06-14-2018 03:12 PM

Just when the Chiefs get interesting? Ok.

KChiefs1 06-14-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 13592860)
The smarter fan would have taken a hiatus from 1970-2017, then started up again in 2018

The 1971 team was a fun team to watch...right up there with the 1993 & 1997 teams.

Bearcat 06-14-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13593044)
I would rather have loved and lost than to have no loved at all.

Don't think I have to remind you that it's not mutual, at all... and that kind of love, for that amount of time, to that extent... has to be unhealthy.

Best22 06-14-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13593082)
The 1971 team was a fun team to watch...right up there with the 1993 & 1997 teams.

So was the 2015 team

Every franchise has fun teams but none of those teams achieved the ultimate goal, or even won the AFC

Mile High Mania 06-14-2018 04:07 PM

Truth be told, my schedule has been so crazy the last several years that it's hard to watch more than one game. I have 3 kids between the ages of 12-16 and they're all involved in lots of stuff and with work, it's really impossible to justify spending a whole Sunday watching games. I'd love to watch more, but I do good to catch the Denver game and one of the primetime games.

Hell, I haven't watched a Sunday morning sports show in probably 10 years. I don't want my kids to remember their dad sitting on the couch watching football in their prime years.

MMXcalibur 06-14-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 13592424)
Dude... Why would someone seriously wait until NOW to go rogue on the Chiefs?

We're in store for potentially the most exciting next 10 years in Kansas City history.

And seeing the birth of our chosen one build himself from the ground up will all be a part of the journey.

I've told the ****in pizza man to embrace this journey and don't miss a game. If you're a hint of a Chiefs fan, you need to jump aboard this and enjoy the ride because this is what we've been asking for-for 40 years.

Amen to this.

It’s like Andy Dufresne finally crawling out of the sewer pipe only to purposely drown himself in the river.

BIG_DADDY 06-14-2018 04:21 PM

This will be my 3rd year without season ticket or playing in a FFL. Like you I was into it big time. I won my FFL 2 out of the last 3 years I played. After starting the gambling thread here at the planet I had won it twice as well and did not play the last 3 years. I stopped during the Kaepernick debacle and just wanting to spend more time with my son who was getting older. Last year you could count the hours I watched on one hand. I only watched the first half of the chiefs playoff game sitting in a restaurant when I told my son it was the same old chiefs and they were going to play to not lose and because of that they would lose again. I understand that prediction was correct.

At this point I have no regrets. I love having my Sundays back. Family time is 10k x better. Funny, Kaepernick ended up being the best thing to ever happen to my weekends. You are totally going to dig it man. Still hope I get a chance to meet you one day.

BIG_DADDY 06-14-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13593156)
Truth be told, my schedule has been so crazy the last several years that it's hard to watch more than one game. I have 3 kids between the ages of 12-16 and they're all involved in lots of stuff and with work, it's really impossible to justify spending a whole Sunday watching games. I'd love to watch more, but I do good to catch the Denver game and one of the primetime games.

Hell, I haven't watched a Sunday morning sports show in probably 10 years. I don't want my kids to remember their dad sitting on the couch watching football in their prime years.

Kids change everything no doubt.

jaa1025 06-14-2018 04:42 PM

I gave up watching the NFL outside of the Chiefs with the whole kneeling thing. I don't really miss it. I probably would have gave it all up if it wasn't for Mahomes.

ChiliConCarnage 06-14-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 13593061)
I can admire your discipline. I'd like to take a hiatus from watching football on Sundays. Three hours per game, and so many stoppages with many of them just for advertisements, and the product being directed to people who normally wouldn't be watching, and it's a business and so they have to sell the product and pay for the product. I get that. But if there's football on I'm watching it. A labor dispute is the only way to pull me away, and as much as college football isn't quite the same with being inferior, it's different enough to make it very enjoyable, and for the first three months there are so many games to choose from every Saturday at the same time that it's beautiful

Have you tried Red Zone? It's pretty amazing. Especially if you're into fantasy or gambling. You just pop around to games with exciting stuff happening. No commercials. Sometimes, you're watching multiple games at once for a short period if several are threatening to score. When there is a break with nobody close it shows a game with a team driving or replays of some huge interceptions or a huge run someone had in the last few minutes. The host is pretty funny too