ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Question about Thai Food (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274417)

sedated 07-10-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9802909)
every Thai place I've been to you have the following options

Mild (+)
Medium (+)
Hot (+)
Thai Hot

(+) meaning you want it a little hotter than Mild/Medium/Hot, but not to the next step

This. Or, of course, the minus option as well.

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9802920)
As for branching out from the Pad Thai:

Tom Ka Tofu (or Tom Ka Gai if you want chicken) is awesome shit. Seriously. It's like the best soup flavor combination in existence. It's also usually one of the best values on the menu, as it's usually priced like an appetizer but can easily be eaten as an entree with rice.

If you really like the flavor of Pad Thai and want to branch out a bit with a few more vegetables: Pad See Eeu.

All curries are awesome and worth trying: red, green, massaman, panang.

ya good post. tom ka gai is a coconut based soup that has some herbs that are not meant to be eaten and it can be very spicy. I'll hit that stuff when I feel a cold/flu coming on.

for those of you that may be visiting Los Angeles, Torung is popular spot among entertainment industry circles and has been doin' it right a very long time;

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;q=torung+thai&amp;fb=1&amp;gl=us&amp;hq=torung+thai&amp;cid=0,0,175984313 35100752531&amp;ll=34.101836,-118.313316&amp;spn=0.006295,0.006295&amp;t=m&amp;iwloc=A&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;q=torung+thai&amp;fb=1&amp;gl=us&amp;hq=torung+thai&amp;cid=0,0,175984313 35100752531&amp;ll=34.101836,-118.313316&amp;spn=0.006295,0.006295&amp;t=m&amp;iwloc=A&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

tooge 07-10-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Tom Ka Tofu (or Tom Ka Gai if you want chicken) is awesome shit. Seriously. It's like the best soup flavor combination in existence. It's also usually one of the best values on the menu, as it's usually priced like an appetizer but can easily be eaten as an entree with rice.

If you really like the flavor of Pad Thai and want to branch out a bit with a few more vegetables: Pad See Eeu.

I had some shit I couldn't pronounce that had squid in it, and a hint of star anise flavor in an almost black sauce, with green onions, and red and green peppers. It had the word Phet in it, but I can't remember what it was called. it was killer, and very spicy.

tooge 07-10-2013 11:23 AM

Ok, I looked it up. Pla Muet Pad Phet. Thai for spicy squid and veggies in a black broth I guess.

Fire Me Boy! 07-10-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Massaman chicken is my go-to for Thai.

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:26 AM

I only tried curry based dishes once at a Thai place. I didn't care for it. Of course, I didn't know what the hell I was ordering at that time, so I'm sure there are other curry dishes that are better than what I had.

So I should probably give it another go.

tooge 07-10-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9803089)
I only tried curry based dishes once at a Thai place. I didn't care for it. Of course, I didn't know what the hell I was ordering at that time, so I'm sure there are other curry dishes that are better than what I had.

Most people think "curried dishes" mean they are flavored with that yellow "curry powder" that we are all familiar with. Far from it. Curry is simply a mixing of spices, so there are many different curried dishes.

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9803097)
Most people think "curried dishes" mean they are flavored with that yellow "curry powder" that we are all familiar with. Far from it. Curry is simply a mixing of spices, so there are many different curried dishes.

Hmm. Good to know. I think whatever I had was just a shot in the dark being my first time at a Thai place years ago.

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9803089)

do you dislike coconut milk? thai curries use it as a base. thai curries can be done very poorly too, it's not easy to find a thai spot that really knows how to do curries.

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:32 AM

I like coconut milk.
I remember sitting there at a company lunch thing, and next thing I knew the waiter was standing there asking for my order....and I hadn't even looked at the menu yet lol.

So that probably has a lot to do with it.

DaKCMan AP 07-10-2013 11:32 AM

Curry = happy DaKCMan AP.

Preferably Thai curry. Red curry. Panang curry.

But yellow curry, green curry, massaman curry, Indian curry, Chinese curry (green/yellow), Jamaican curry still = happy DaKCMan AP.

tooge 07-10-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9803099)
Hmm. Good to know. I think whatever I had was just a shot in the dark being my first time at a Thai place years ago.

Thai curries typically use garlic, shrimp paste, thai chilis, and then other aromatics, usually fresh, and made into a paste with water or coconut milk.

DaKCMan AP 07-10-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9803102)
do you dislike coconut milk? thai curries use it as a base. thai curries can be done very poorly too, it's not easy to find a thai spot that really knows how to do curries.

I could see it being difficult in the Midwest. I've been a few places that were terrible. However, in FL and a lot of the places I travel it's not difficult to find a good Thai restaurant.

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9803114)
I could see it being difficult in the Midwest. I've been a few places that were terrible. However, in FL and a lot of the places I travel it's not difficult to find a good Thai restaurant.

winner winner curry dinner:D

Clyde Frog 07-10-2013 11:38 AM

Try Siamese Basil in Encinitas