ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Long, Slow, Arduous Bataan Death March To Drafting OL On May 8th (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280387)

OldSchool 02-26-2014 12:35 PM

Zach Martin may be there for us at 23. If we can't trade back, I'm betting that Dorsey will take him with the question marks on our OL. However, there's a long time between now and the draft. Things will change once FA rolls around, then we'll hopefully have a better idea of where we stand.

Direckshun 02-26-2014 12:37 PM

Zack Martin will very likely be there for us. As will Su'a-Filo.

But Dorsey likes versatility. I've no doubt that Zack Martin is on our radar.

OldSchool 02-26-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10455008)
Zack Martin will very likely be there for us. As will Su'a-Filo.

But Dorsey likes versatility. I've no doubt that Zack Martin is on our radar.

Yup, potential solid starting OT and Pro-Bowl level OG. Reid must be salivating at the thought of getting himself an Evan Mathis clone.

Direckshun 02-26-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10455016)
Yup, potential solid starting OT and Pro-Bowl level OG. Reid must be salivating at the thought of getting himself an Evan Mathis clone.

I will smack you with my penis if you suggest such a thing again.

THE CHIEFS ARE GOING TO DRAFT A SKILL POSITION PLAYER.

OldSchool 02-26-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10455025)

Yeah, but if we can improve pass protection even by an average of .5-1 second longer, how much would you bet that Alex Smith will play more consistently at a high level for us? He put up 44 points with the weapons that we already have (excluding Charles). Give him a bit more time in the pocket and we might be seeing those playoff level performances of him on a more consistent basis regardless of who we have outside. We can realistically wait until the 3rd-4th round and take a dependable slot WR (or just sign a solid FA WR) and our offensive production will likely improve by a significant margin.

Dorsey and Reid both believe that everything starts in the trenches. We are potentially going to lose 3 starting OL men to FA, will only be able to re-sign 1 of them. We have very little insurance behind that even though our current backups flashed in the Chargers game (but the Chargers are hardly known for having a stellar pass rush).

Let's just say I would not be surprised in the least if we're sitting at 23 and no one calls but Zach Martin is still there. Welcome Zach Martin, better have been worth it.

saphojunkie 02-26-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10455025)

I can't take it... I literally won't be able to take it...

IT WILL BREAK ME.

Friendo 02-26-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10455045)
Yeah, but if we can improve pass protection even by an average of .5-1 second longer, how much would you bet that Alex Smith will play more consistently at a high level for us? He put up 44 points with the weapons that we already have (excluding Charles). Give him a bit more time in the pocket and we might be seeing those playoff level performances of him on a more consistent basis regardless of who we have outside. We can realistically wait until the 3rd-4th round and take a dependable slot WR (or just sign a solid FA WR) and our offensive production will likely improve by a significant margin.

Dorsey and Reid both believe that everything starts in the trenches. We are potentially going to lose 3 starting OL men to FA, will only be able to re-sign 1 of them. We have very little insurance behind that even though our current backups flashed in the Chargers game (but the Chargers are hardly known for having a stellar pass rush).

Let's just say I would not be surprised in the least if we're sitting at 23 and no one calls but Zach Martin is still there. Welcome Zach Martin, better have been worth it.

as do I, but really conflicted on this...a team on the cusp of a breakthrough, or still in rebuilding mode? it will be a lineman in the first...:ZZZ:

OldSchool 02-26-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friendo (Post 10455524)
as do I, but really conflicted on this...a team on the cusp of a breakthrough, or still in rebuilding mode? it will be a lineman in the first...:ZZZ:

Well, what would help us more?

Increase of time in the pocket by and average of .5-1 more second?

Or another WR target who might add 200-500 more yards over last year and 4-5 more passing TDs as an individual? (taking McCluster's contributions into consideration).

Sfeihc 02-26-2014 07:42 PM

Worst things can happen than taking Martin @ 23. The WR depth is crazy deep and they can find a player or two later. If Albert and Schwartz both walk Martin becomes almost a no-brainer. After the 2014 season isn't Hudson a FA and then Allen and Stephenson the following year?

OldSchool 02-26-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 10455877)
Worst things can happen than taking Martin @ 23. The WR depth is crazy deep and they can find a player or two later. If Albert and Schwartz both walk Martin becomes almost a no-brainer. After the 2014 season isn't Hudson a FA and then Allen and Stephenson the following year?

Yup. No one wants to admit it because we took Fisher 1st overall last year, but we actually do need OL players. Looking at only Kush and Fisher signed for 2016 right? Well, also have to consider the fact that we will have more room for free agents by then. But you want consistency in your OL, not an ever cycling group that never gets a chance to really gel. It's pretty much imperative that we keep at least 4 of our 5 current starters together if we ever want a dominant OL which would lead to a dominant offense.

Saccopoo 02-26-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10455016)

RT: Stephenson
RG: Schwartz
C: Kush
LG: Hudson
LT: Fisher

You don't draft a guy in the first round, at the offensive line position, who is going to be a backup.

They will be drafting a skill position guy.

If Odell Beckham is there, he'll be a lock for the pick.

OldSchool 02-26-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10456158)
RT: Stephenson
RG: Schwartz
C: Kush
LG: Hudson
LT: Fisher

You don't draft a guy in the first round, at the offensive line position, who is going to be a backup.

They will be drafting a skill position guy.

If Odell Beckham is there, he'll be a lock for the pick.

I wouldn't do it, not in this draft, but Reid and Dorsey might be too tempted to resist the draw of taking potential pro-bowl caliber player along the OL when we currently have 3 FAs who were starters at one point or another. Still a long time until the draft.

RippedmyFlesh 02-26-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10455868)
Well, what would help us more?

Increase of time in the pocket by and average of .5-1 more second?

Or another WR target who might add 200-500 more yards over last year and 4-5 more passing TDs as an individual? (taking McCluster's contributions into consideration).

I'll take the wr. Alex is pretty mobile so I trust him behind an average line.
A wr who can get separation may negate the need for more time in the pocket waiting for someone to get open.

OldSchool 02-27-2014 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 10456260)
I'll take the wr. Alex is pretty mobile so I trust him behind an average line.
A wr who can get separation may negate the need for more time in the pocket waiting for someone to get open.

Well, the thing is that, even if Alex Smith is mobile and can make plays with his legs, there is no denying the fact that his play and the increase of our offensive production coincided with the improvement in OL play. When he was actually getting time in the pocket, Smith was more willing to take shots on deep passes and Reid was more willing to call those longer plays because there was more trust in the OL's ability to hold up for over 2.5 seconds.

bshmerlie 02-27-2014 06:52 AM

We need to to find a way to keep Albert. And then trade down in the first to pick up a 2nd.