ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto A Question About Socks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292668)

Fire Me Boy! 05-25-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11518729)
But let me propose this. The lifetime cost is the same whether you have many pairs of socks or a few pairs of socks. We all wear them once per day, so over the course of our lives we'll spend the same amount on socks (assuming that we don't leave a bunch behind when we die). With my method, I wear my socks very infrequently and have a lot of wardrobe variety. Therefore, I derive a fashion advantage at no extra cost.

I don't like variety. I think I would be crippled by such choices and inevitably disappointed with my daily choice.

Rain Man 05-25-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams (Post 11518730)
RIGHT?!?!?!?

When I put on a pair of socks, I know that they're well rested and ready for action.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-25-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11518729)
But let me propose this. The lifetime cost is the same whether you have many pairs of socks or a few pairs of socks. We all wear them once per day, so over the course of our lives we'll spend the same amount on socks (assuming that we don't leave a bunch behind when we die). With my method, I wear my socks very infrequently and have a lot of wardrobe variety. Therefore, I derive a fashion advantage at no extra cost.

Yes, but you also maintain a surplus that has lost it's "sock burst".

We're not talking about buying a new car.

Rain Man 05-25-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11518731)
You should update the OP with accurate numbers and math.

I'm afraid that someone will try to break in and steal them.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-25-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11518735)
When I put on a pair of socks, I know that they're well rested and ready for action.

The elasticity and thickness-quotients have to be a lower mid-tier by now, regardless of care.

Rain Man 05-25-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11518734)
I don't like variety. I think I would be crippled by such choices and inevitably disappointed with my daily choice.

I could see a potential issue with that. But I like having a sock for every job. Need a sock with elephants? I got it. Need one with a Union Jack? Check. Need some plain gray or white? Of course. I feel like I'm seldom caught flat-footed when I open my sock cabinet.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-25-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11518737)
I'm afraid that someone will try to break in and steal them.

No one wants your "Bernard Pollard"-quality socks except the homeless.

Go make a donation.

Rain Man 05-25-2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams (Post 11518739)
The elasticity and thickness-quotients have to be a lower mid-tier by now, regardless of care.

I don't think that socks have a half-life, do they? Assuming that I can keep the moths out, they should remain well-preserved. I think they've found Egyptian socks that are still wearable after 4,000 years.

Rain Man 05-25-2015 04:27 PM

I'm also intrigued by the fact that our estimates in the poll are all over the board. We wear socks almost every day of our lives, and yet we know so little about them. We can't even estimate their life span. What kind of civilization are we?

Fire Me Boy! 05-25-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11518746)
I could see a potential issue with that. But I like having a sock for every job. Need a sock with elephants? I got it. Need one with a Union Jack? Check. Need some plain gray or white? Of course. I feel like I'm seldom caught flat-footed when I open my sock cabinet.

Is there ever an occasion that cannot be filled by a plain white, black, or brown sock?

Rain Man 05-25-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11518755)
Is there ever an occasion that cannot be filled by a plain white, black, or brown sock?

Sometimes you have to dress to impress. Chicks at parties don't comment on plain socks.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-25-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11518750)
I don't think that socks have a half-life, do they? Assuming that I can keep the moths out, they should remain well-preserved. I think they've found Egyptian socks that are still wearable after 4,000 years.

LMAO

SAUTO 05-25-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11518634)
Why in God's name do you have that many pairs of socks?

I just went and looked, I probably have at least that many pairs.

I wear black work socks, thicker than normal and when I put one on that has a hole I just chuck it and the next time I'm a the store I buy a new pack and rotate it in and just keep throwing away and buying socks. There is a decent sized laundry basket of socks.

I probably should quit purchasing. I just opened a new pack yesterday. Lol

Easy 6 05-25-2015 04:30 PM

When they get holes in them, they're thrown out... otherwise I'm looking at a wearable pair of socks.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-25-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11518755)

Or more to the point; outside of a trip to the Marquee Club for Ska Night, when exactly do a pair of "Union Jack" socks become necessary?