ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ProFootballFocus. QBs in Focus: Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285435)

hometeam 08-03-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10791245)
I don't think there is a single person in this thread who thinks Alex Smith is Tom Brady. I've already said many times that I don't yet trust Smith to close games.
It is obvious to anyone who actually watched Chiefs games last year that December Alex Smith was a hell of a lot better than the Alex Smith we've seen throughout his career.

So yeah, in response to this article and to your commentary, it doesn't make sense to say Alex Smith will always be a conservative QB when we saw him progress into a more aggressive QB last year.

When did we see him turn into an aggressive QB? When we lost most of our games after going 9-0 on the back of the D ?

I can agree that he progressed through the year. He did. He progressed from ass to middling - If thats all your shooting for thats on you, Id like my team to aspire to something a little better, or at least for the fans to accept that half-assed is not the best we can do.

SAUTO 08-03-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10791253)
When did we see him turn into an aggressive QB? When we lost most of our games after going 9-0 on the back of the D ?

I can agree that he progressed through the year. He did. He progressed from ass to middling - If thats all your shooting for thats on you, Id like my team to aspire to something a little better, or at least for the fans to accept that half-assed is not the best we can do.

He was pretty good first half of the playoff game
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 08-03-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10791253)

Nobody on this thread is saying Alex Smith is an elite QB and that we have no need to aspire to be better.

But I don't at all agree that he's middling. If he keeps improving and learns to close games, he could easily become a top 10 QB. If he's top 10, he easily gives us an outside chance to win games and there won't be many AVAILABLE QBs we can upgrade with.

Sandy Vagina 08-03-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 10791202)
why are we still posting these threads?

I was quite underwhelmed with Alex the first 10 games or so.

When our defense started to suck asshole, I started becoming quite impressed with Alex the last 7 games.

The best compliment I have for Alex is it seems to me the only thing he really cares about is getting that W. The first 9 games, the only thing we didn't need Alex to do was turn the ball over. Our defense was that dominant. He did that. He overdid that.

When the defense started to suck and we needed our offense to start winning games...Alex did a pretty good job of that, too.

I'm optimistic for Smith this year. I think he's about the 13th best QB in the NFL...and that's a good thing. I wish we had an elite QB, but clearly those don't grow on trees.

Very good post.

Mav 08-03-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10791262)
He was pretty good first half of the playoff game
Posted via Mobile Device

He has typically played his best in playoff games. The saints game, the Colts.

mdchiefsfan 08-03-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10791163)
Honest answer, I can't say with any specifity, without access to all 22s..

I do know, going into the first game with the Broncos, Greg Cosell, in an interview with Colin Cowherd said that Alex Smith missed several downfield opportunities in the first 9 games, and that he had to take adavantage of those kind of opportunities against the Broncos for the Chiefs to win.

In spite of his sometimes questionable hands, Donnie Avery is that guy, and in spite of the perception that Bowe is a possession receiver, he was consistently making plays downfield prior to last season.

This. The thing is, the pass doesn't have to be caught for the defense to respect the attempt. You have to throw it to complete it.

Deberg_1990 08-03-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10791266)
Nobody on this thread is saying Alex Smith is an elite QB and that we have no need to aspire to be better.

But I don't at all agree that he's middling. If he keeps improving and learns to close games, he could easily become a top 10 QB. If he's top 10, he easily gives us an outside chance to win games and there won't be many AVAILABLE QBs we can upgrade with.

He's a good solid QB. He's not spectacular, but he's good enough most games

He wins a lot of games because he protects the football. If a team plays tough D and protects the football, they are going to win a lot of games.

Saccopoo 08-03-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10791062)
Seriously?

It means that Smith became more aggressive in the last 6 or 7 games, taking more shots downfield.

Prior to that, he relied almost exclusively on the short passing game, with rare attempts beyond 10-15 yards.

That sounds like he was working in the system (due to the constraints that have been outlined earlier, i.e., WR, TE, OL, "newness" of system, lack of familiarity with coaches/players/environment/etc.) early in the year and, later in the season, as he and those constraints became more synergistic, he/they became more comfortable and they/he were able to have a more natural rhythm and flow. He was now able to play/utilize his natural football skills and tendencies due to the lessening of those constraints in that system over time.

RealSNR 08-03-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeHo (Post 10791054)
slow down there! logic is rarely accepted here!

but i'll even admit his style relies more on short/quick gains which works well with the this candy cane soft o-line. then again i look at his last and 2nd season with Harbaugh where he his performance jumped. hoping the same/bigger jump this season.

Alex needs that one guy he can strongly trust like Vernon Davis. Matt Ryan has/had Julio Jones. Kaepernick badly missed his Crabtree. Dalton has AJ Green. Matt Stafford has Megatron. Romo has Dez. Cutler has Marshall and Jeffery. And so on....

Die

milkman 08-03-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10791283)
That sounds like he was working in the system (due to the constraints that have been outlined earlier, i.e., WR, TE, OL, "newness" of system, lack of familiarity with coaches/players/environment/etc.) early in the year and, later in the season, as he and those constraints became more synergistic, he/they became more comfortable and they/he were able to have a more natural rhythm and flow. He was now able to play/utilize his natural football skills and tendencies due to the lessening of those constraints in that system over time.

Yeah, that would make a whole hell of a lot of sense if we were talking about a different QB.

But we are talking about Alex Smith, and the first half of the season is the QB that Alex Smith has been for years.

Everything else is just bullshit, including the bullshit above.

chiefzilla1501 08-03-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10791278)
He's a good solid QB. He's not spectacular, but he's good enough most games

He wins a lot of games because he protects the football. If a team plays tough D and protects the football, they are going to win a lot of games.

I hated the way he played early in the season. I really don't want to see him protecting the ball. Ever. He has to find a nice balance between protecting the ball and taking chances. In the second half of the season, he started to do that. I hope he will continue to do that even as the schedule gets tougher.

Deberg_1990 08-03-2014 09:58 AM

I also like that he's a really good athlete. He keeps a lot of plays and drives alive with his feet.

Saccopoo 08-03-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10791068)
So PFF just reiterates what we all know.

Yes, that he was working in a new system, with all new players, and that as he and the rest of the team metamorphosized into a greater synergistic unit within the set parameters outlined by the system Smith's individual statistical contributions became more emphasized as the focal point of the offenses production - culminating with the playoff game where Charles was removed from the environment early due to injury and Smith was required to provide greater additional positive output. Which he sucessfully did.

chiefzilla1501 08-03-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10791289)
I also like that he's a really good athlete. He keeps a lot of plays and drives alive with his feet.

Think that's a balanced thing too. Early in the season, he held onto the ball too long because he was afraid to make the bigger throws. Lots of throws he can make to his primary read which get the ball out of his hand faster. When we want him to be aggressive, we're saying he needs to start throwing his guy open. I saw some progress there later in the year. Started even throwing some back shoulder throws, something we haven't seen in KC for years. But he has to do more of that.

RunKC 08-03-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10791140)
He is a glorified possession receiver. Bowe is an after the catch monster. He is not a julio jones, josh gordon type. He is a michael Crabtree type. The chiefs do not have one single consistent down field take the top off a defense player on this roster. Maybe DAT can be that.

And that is what's going to hurt us this year. Emmanuel Sanders would have been such a good signing.