ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How classic was your childhood? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305990)

Frazod 02-14-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12741649)
With only 50 slots, I had to cut out some, such as, "Did a long hike with friends to look at a dead body beside the railroad tracks". What else did I miss?

Screw BB guns. Shot real guns should have been a question. :bang:

BucEyedPea 02-14-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12741634)
When I went home on my first leave after being on my ship, my dad asked me how I liked it. I said I didn't. He asked why. I said I don't like the ocean. He said well, why'd you go in the Navy, dumbass? I replied I'M FROM MISSOURI. How would I know? LMAO

That's a pretty funny answer. I would be scared of being out in the deep ocean far from shore. Bunch of macho guys I know here went on one of those deep sea fishing boats and most of the time they just spilled their guts and got sick from sea sickness. I laughed.

BucEyedPea 02-14-2017 09:52 PM

I got into two physical fights outside not at school playground but at the town pool's sunbathing area, the other in my back yard. Both were bullies though. But at home I was would beat up my passive aggressive older sister more often—and win!

TrebMaxx 02-14-2017 09:52 PM

40 to 44 - Your childhood was classic American and not a pansy soft American. You're an American who eats steak. Yes, I love steak.

It will be easier to list what I didn't do than what I did.
Had sex with a hot teacher
Had your own treehouse
Went to Disneyland/Disneyworld/Epcot
Participated in a spelling bee (I may of done this but I do not recollect)
Played doctor with a person of whatever sex you now like ( Who needs to play doctor when you are already getting it?)
Served as an altar boy/girl or equivalent in a religious group
Took dance lessons
Took piano lessons ( I did play the trumpet )
Went to boarding school ( The threats were made but parents never followed through )

Bugeater 02-14-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 12741572)
I grew up a 100yrds from Bugs.

Drops mic and walks off

I am disappointed that "lit creek on fire" did not make the poll.

Rain Man 02-14-2017 09:54 PM

So far, we're 24 of 24 on snowmen. I almost didn't include that, but figured we might have some southerners in the group who never saw snow.

Frazod 02-14-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12741652)
That's a pretty funny answer. I would be scared of being out in the deep ocean far from shore. Bunch of macho guys I know here went on one of those deep sea fishing boats and most of the time they just spilled their guts and got sick from sea sickness. I laughed.

I think I mainly just hated being away from home, isolated, and working a crappy job for next to no pay, and being at sea was just part of the package. I never got sea sick. And the wife and I went on an Alaska cruise last year, and as much as loved Alaska it was great being back on a ship at sea. We even had some mildly rough seas one day, enough that a good portion of the passengers became ill. I was in heaven. :D

Bugeater 02-14-2017 09:56 PM

"Pitched tent in back yard, told parents we were going to 'camp' in the tent overnight but never slept because we were out terrorizing the neighborhood all night" is also conspicuously absent from the poll.

BucEyedPea 02-14-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12741662)
I think I mainly just hated being away from home, isolated, and working a crappy job for next to no pay, and being at sea was just part of the package. I never got sea sick. And the wife and I went on an Alaska cruise last year, and as much as loved Alaska it was great being back on a ship at sea. We even had some mildly rough seas one day, enough that a good portion of the passengers became ill. I was in heaven. :D

I am psychologically unable to go on a cruise. I went on a huge cruise ship to see a cousin off and just going down a few levels, I had to high tail it out of there as fast as I could. Makes me feel like I'm being buried. A smaller cruise ship off the coast where they serve dinner or a riverboat I'm fine on. I have sailed quite a bit off the New England coast, north and off Cape Cod. I am fine there too, unless the weather gets rough with deep waves. My sister and husband have a large sail boat and my brother in Maine a more modest one.

Dartgod 02-14-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12741665)
"Pitched tent in back yard, told parents we were going to 'camp' in the tent overnight but never slept because we were out terrorizing the neighborhood all night" is also conspicuously absent from the poll.

Check another one off for me. Could have also said, "Snuck out of the house to run around in the middle of the night".

Frazod 02-14-2017 10:03 PM

Good idea, Treb. The ones I didn't do:

Never bought an item from comic book ad
Never carried lunch box to school
Naver had a crush on a babysitter (although I did see one of them naked once - she was fairly hot)
No entry in a Science Fair
No sex with a hot teacher
Never mowed non-relative's yard for money (I had a couple of yards that I did for money, but they were both relatives)
No lemonade stand
No science kit
No science tool
Never rode bike to a store (lived too far away)
Never was an altar boy
No dance lessons (and boy does it show :D )
No piano lessons
No water park
No walking to school (too far)
No station wagon/minivan road trip - just a regular car
No overnight summer camp - just summer day camp at the local college
No boarding school

BucEyedPea 02-14-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 12741672)
Check another one off for me. Could have also said, "Snuck out of the house to run around in the middle of the night".

Yep! Did that. I hear a lot of kids do this. Seems to be a rite of passage.

Frazod 02-14-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12741668)
I am psychologically unable to go on a cruise. I went on a huge cruise ship to see a cousin off and just going down a few levels, I had to high tail it out of there as fast as I could. Makes me feel like I'm being buried. A smaller cruise ship off the coast where they serve dinner or a riverboat I'm fine on. I have sailed quite a bit off the New England coast, north and off Cape Cod. I am fine there too, unless the weather gets rough with deep waves. My sister and husband have a large sail boat and my brother in Maine a more modest one.

You would definitely not do well on a submarine.

My ship was only in truly horrible conditions a couple of times, but once it was on the 10 day crossing from Spain to Virginia, and it just went on and on and on. By the time it broke, I was part of the roughly 10% of the crew that wasn't incapacitated, and it was starting to get to me. Didn't help that there was puke, and the stench of puke, EVERYWHERE. Don't know if I would have lasted another day.

And cleaning up somebody else's puke in rolling seas is actually far worse than it sounds.

Rain Man 02-14-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12741687)

My ship was only in truly horrible conditions a couple of times, but once it was on the 10 day crossing from Spain to Virginia, and it just went on and on and on. By the time it broke, I was part of the roughly 10% of the crew that wasn't incapacitated, and it was starting to get to me. Didn't help that there was puke, and the stench of puke, EVERYWHERE. Don't know if I would have lasted another day.

And cleaning up somebody else's puke in rolling seas is actually far worse than it sounds.

I'm pondering doing an ocean crossing on a freighter next year, and wondering how it'll go since they apparently don't have the stabilizers that cruise ships have. But I generally do pretty well on the motion stuff. When I did the ferry in Alaska it was on their roughest route and I had no problems at all. One of the people I was hanging out with had to bail out and fly home due to seasickness.

BucEyedPea 02-14-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12741687)

Cleaning up puke makes me puke or retch. Oh, that sounds horrible. I would never survive that and certainly not be able to ever go on submarine.