ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293234)

philfree 05-31-2022 06:52 AM

I feel like I ate a whole cow covered in salt, pepper and garlic. I took my cholesterol meds this morning now I feel like I should eat a bowl of Cheerios. :LOL:

Shiver Me Timbers 05-31-2022 12:55 PM

Watched a video of Rob Magee from Q39 explaining his method.I tried it on 2 briskets this past weekend. I will doing a lot more of that in the future. It shaved 4 hours off my cook time and the burnt ends were out of this world.

I bought a Yoder Smoker a couple of months ago. I still have my green egg but will only be using it for grilling and Pizza. The Yoder is a great smoker.

Back to Rob Magee for a moment-
I guess I live under a rock. Had no Idea he had passed away this past December. I hope his wife can carry on the tradition.

BryanBusby 05-31-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16314322)
Me too. However it blew over when the wind blew 100 in December and bent the box some and the lid doesn’t seal.

Does anyone have one of those masterbuilt gravity cookers?

It looks really good, but was looking for non-biased reviews.

The flavor on the Masterbuilt Gravity series will stomp any pellet grill, guaranteed.

You can also actually properly sear on them.

It just depends on if the boost of flavor is enough to deal with the quirks of a Gravity series grill.

Buehler445 05-31-2022 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 16315813)
The flavor on the Masterbuilt Gravity series will stomp any pellet grill, guaranteed.

You can also actually properly sear on them.

It just depends on if the boost of flavor is enough to deal with the quirks of a Gravity series grill.

What are said quirks. Obviously all the stuff I've been able to find have said the machine is flawless.

Coogs 06-01-2022 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16316108)
What are said quirks. Obviously all the stuff I've been able to find have said the machine is flawless.

I'd be interested in that too. I'm looking for a new set up, but probably won't purchase a new one until next year. I had not heard of this model until this post. Went and watched a video and it does seem like something I may be interested in as well.

ptlyon 06-01-2022 07:43 AM

Gravity can be a challenging thing at times

Iowanian 06-01-2022 10:23 AM

I tackled my first project yesterday and smoked 3 blocks of creamed cheese.
1. jalepeno jelly
2. spicy mustard base and sweet bbq rib rub
3. honey and homemade plum jam

2hrs@210 Turned out really good and it's definitely something I'll do more of going forward. Didn't take any pics but it was worthy. Not sure what I'll try next but I'm leaning towards trying burnt ends from some of the chuck roasts I have.

On the upside, I decided if I use and feature honey on the smoker in a video or pics on by honey page, that smoker......tax deduction. boom.

dirk digler 06-01-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

I bought myself a Gravity series 800 for Christmas and I LOVE it. I sold my Rec Tec Pellet grill shortly after and haven't looked back. There is no comparison IMVHO.

Only downside to the Gravity series is the actual setup of it, it took 2 of us a few hours. But cooking wise it is amazing.

Oh and it definitely gets up to 700 degrees for searing with no problem.

dirk digler 06-01-2022 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers (Post 16315278)
Watched a video of Rob Magee from Q39 explaining his method.I tried it on 2 briskets this past weekend. I will doing a lot more of that in the future. It shaved 4 hours off my cook time and the burnt ends were out of this world.

I bought a Yoder Smoker a couple of months ago. I still have my green egg but will only be using it for grilling and Pizza. The Yoder is a great smoker.

Back to Rob Magee for a moment-
I guess I live under a rock. Had no Idea he had passed away this past December. I hope his wife can carry on the tradition.

Care to share a link to this?

Buehler445 06-01-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 16316503)
I tackled my first project yesterday and smoked 3 blocks of creamed cheese.
1. jalepeno jelly
2. spicy mustard base and sweet bbq rib rub
3. honey and homemade plum jam

2hrs@210 Turned out really good and it's definitely something I'll do more of going forward. Didn't take any pics but it was worthy. Not sure what I'll try next but I'm leaning towards trying burnt ends from some of the chuck roasts I have.

On the upside, I decided if I use and feature honey on the smoker in a video or pics on by honey page, that smoker......tax deduction. boom.

Start with a chicken. Brine that bitch, and throw some shit on it and smoke it. Or spatchcock it and smoke it.

Chicken is good because:

1. It is cheap.
2. It doesn't take long.
3. It is good.

I presume you know, but BBQ revolves around internal temperature. Make sure you have a good instant read thermometer (I like thermoworks) and probes are nice, but they are less necessary than the instant read.

Eat well, my friend.

BryanBusby 06-01-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

The switches will wear out and you will either need to replace or bypass them. Not a big deal but a thing to keep aware of.

Don't trust the included probe. At all. Or the app, but do load the app and randomly run it for updates. (Yes, updates for your grill).

Shake the charcoal grate very well each use or fire will be hard to get rolling.

It's possible for the fan to suck in a hot coal or something and melt. Be mindful of that.

Overall it's a great grill, but it's quirky and it's not something that will last for a decade plus. Just some FYI's when you pick.

It consumes wood/charcoal at a fair clip.

I know CharGriller is in the game now and might be worth looking into. I hear it's better insulated and the heat shield is better at preventing raging fires.

srvy 06-01-2022 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 16316869)
The switches will wear out and you will either need to replace or bypass them. Not a big deal but a thing to keep aware of.

Don't trust the included probe. At all. Or the app, but do load the app and randomly run it for updates. (Yes, updates for your grill).

Shake the charcoal grate very well each use or fire will be hard to get rolling.

It's possible for the fan to suck in a hot coal or something and melt. Be mindful of that.

Overall it's a great grill, but it's quirky and it's not something that will last for a decade plus. Just some FYI's when you pick.

It consumes wood/charcoal at a fair clip.

I know CharGriller is in the game now and might be worth looking into. I hear it's better insulated and the heat shield is better at preventing raging fires.

Yeah, I have read some of those complaints and decided I'd wait till it's more perfected and someone like RecTech Yoder or Traeger introduces their unit.

srvy 06-01-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 16316526)
Care to share a link to this?

I'm not sure but I think this may be the link.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cNvPKuggHHI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shiver Me Timbers 06-01-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 16316962)
I'm not sure but I think this may be the link.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cNvPKuggHHI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You are correct!

BryanBusby 06-01-2022 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 16316958)
Yeah, I have read some of those complaints and decided I'd wait till it's more perfected and someone like RecTech Yoder or Traeger introduces their unit.

Traeger is imported garbage anymore.

srvy 06-01-2022 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 16317206)
Traeger is imported garbage anymore.

What isn't I'mpotrd now though. I say of those I mentioned probably Yoder has the least imported parts.

Shiver Me Timbers 06-01-2022 07:18 PM

I checked a bunch of smokers out before getting a yoder 640s. It was the most expensive but seemed to be built the best. Built in Kansas For the Win!!!!. I am not sure what parts would be imported but it is probably limited to the fireboard electronics.
I love the thing. I can monitor it from my office on the other side of town.

srvy 06-01-2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers (Post 16317279)
I checked a bunch of smokers out before getting a yoder 640s. It was the most expensive but seemed to be built the best. Built in Kansas For the Win!!!!. I am not sure what parts would be imported but it is probably limited to the fireboard electronics.
I love the thing. I can monitor it from my office on the other side of town.

The electric motors and fans possibly maybe even the stainless steel.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-02-2022 12:40 PM

might have to give this a try

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dn_40K0er0E" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shiver Me Timbers 06-03-2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 16318106)
might have to give this a try

Good Lord.

srvy 06-10-2022 10:11 PM

Took a day to replace a trashed ac condenser fan blower motor. My wife was fit to be tied as the motor took a week to get here. I also smoked a brisket packer and a turkey breast that needed to get out of the freezer.

The motor was a breeze once I got the fan blade free of the shaft. Then installed it and a new capacitor hit the thunder button and the 21 year old Armstrong air cooled a 86 house down to 72 in 3 hours.

Now the goods chicken was pulled at 162 and became dinner. The brisket was stubborn with a long stall didn't get to 203 till 9 pm. It rested 45 minutes and I cut a big ass point off and cubed for burnt ends. I stored in Tupperware and will finnish them tomorrow. The flat came out juicy and tender for my first brisket in the Recteq Bull. I got a choice at sams club that was surprisingly excellent.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9261d502ff.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2d3fef5544.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c16723b8c3.jpgAttachment 124658

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Stewie 06-10-2022 10:16 PM

Picked up spares yesterday for 1.97/lb.

Those bad boys will be my bitch.

Pepe Silvia 06-10-2022 10:46 PM

I love smoked turkey.

srvy 06-10-2022 10:47 PM

Somehow lost my slicing the flat and cubing the point. So made some after the fact pics. I have.never done burnt ends after a day in fridge but too tired to **** with them.

Attachment 124660Attachment 124661Attachment 124662Attachment 124663

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

lewdog 06-11-2022 08:01 AM

Smoking Ribs today.

Is 3-2-1 still the preferred method? Something easier/better to try?

Peter Gibbons 06-11-2022 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16329256)
Smoking Ribs today.

3-2-1 is how I cook them. I smoke around 235-235 using oak and pecan for ribs. I also slather them with mustard prior to the rub for better adhesion and use some “tiger sauce” as well for heat. If I sauce them, I make a two part sauce with jalapeño raspberry jam and a good BBQ sauce applied for the last 20 minutes only. IMO, there are no bad ribs only some that are even better than others.

kstater 06-11-2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Smoking Ribs today.

That's all I ever do

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

lewdog 06-11-2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Gibbons (Post 16329279)
3-2-1 is how I cook them. I smoke around 235-235 using oak and pecan for ribs. I also slather them with mustard prior to the rub for better adhesion and use some “tiger sauce” as well for heat. If I sauce them, I make a two part sauce with jalapeño raspberry jam and a good BBQ sauce applied for the last 20 minutes only. IMO, there are no bad ribs only some that are even better than others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 16329280)
That's all I ever do

Ok me too. I'm on some facebook BBQ pages and some are dissing the "old" 3-2-1 method. **** them!!!!

It's been a long time since I have done spare ribs though. I prefer baby backs.

KCUnited 06-11-2022 08:59 AM

Quote:

Smoking Ribs today.

What kind of ribs?

Backs are usually 2-1-1 and spares 3-2-1

EDIT: just saw you say spare, disregard

KCUnited 06-11-2022 09:03 AM

I received a Meater + as a gift recently.

Going to try it out today on a tri tip roast.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0xSmTXwPvtM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog 06-11-2022 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16329294)
What kind of ribs?

Backs are usually 2-1-1 and spares 3-2-1

EDIT: just saw you say spare, disregard

Yeah, I notice baby backs don't need as long. Gonna be hot out there today smoking but I'm hoping some afternoon drinks keep me cool!

chinaski 06-11-2022 09:59 AM

I got some Bison Sausage at Aldi yesterday. Bought some a few weeks ago and liked it. So I'll grill that up and make a Cucumber Tomato Salad to go along with it. :thumb:

Sorce 06-11-2022 10:43 AM

Short ribs just went on. Plan 3 hrs then spray with beef broth every hour till done. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a395517c5a.jpg

BryanBusby 06-11-2022 11:49 AM

Team trim down the ribs to STL cut and no wrap.

Sorce 06-11-2022 12:04 PM

I think everyone had the same idea, my neighborhood smells so good right now.

Delano 06-11-2022 01:03 PM

Anyone else follow the mad scientist bbq on YouTube? I basically follow whatever he says and am happy every time. I’ve used his recipes for butts, ribs, brisket and chicken thighs.

lewdog 06-11-2022 04:33 PM

I always feel like my basic smoker doesn't smoke enough and part of it is the temp in the summer is so hot, I feel like the heating element doesn't kick on all that much. I just have a basic Masterbuilt electric smoker. Has the smoke chip entry on the side that you slide in and out to add more. Is there an easy way to produce more smoke with this system?

Buehler445 06-11-2022 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16329738)
I always feel like my basic smoker doesn't smoke enough and part of it is the temp in the summer is so hot, I feel like the heating element doesn't kick on all that much. I just have a basic Masterbuilt electric smoker. Has the smoke chip entry on the side that you slide in and out to add more. Is there an easy way to produce more smoke with this system?

I bought a cold smoke attachment for mine. It definitely produces more smoke.

Plus you can cold smoke.

Sorce 06-11-2022 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16329738)

Smoke tube or maze. I use a tube in my rectec for more smoke.

KCUnited 06-11-2022 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16329297)
I received a Meater + as a gift recently.

Going to try it out today on a tri tip roast.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0xSmTXwPvtM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So this wireless thermometer worked out pretty well.

I was calibrating it alongside a Thermapen and they were pretty spot on with each other.

The time remaining tech is pretty handy when trying to time starting your sides. Pretty pleased with it thus far.

Also, if you're not smoking your scalloped potatoes, no one can help you.

https://i.imgur.com/KBpoT7i.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/FKjsdWT.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/nQwlknt.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/EDV4LmU.jpg?1

lewdog 06-11-2022 07:31 PM

**** spare ribs. I’m not a food snob by any means but they can’t even come close to baby backs.

I’m done with them!

philfree 06-11-2022 09:49 PM

I'm out of town this weekend so no smoking for me. I did go to Jack Stack though so that kind of counts. Doesn't it? Had a Smokin' Russ and also me and the wife split some bbq'd shrimp and some spareribs. It was good but I think my Q is better. When I do a cook it's a small batch instead of 100 cuts of meat though so there's just more control. Jack Stack is always good though. Really consistent.

philfree 06-11-2022 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16329947)
**** spare ribs. I’m not a food snob by any means but they can’t even come close to baby backs.

I’m done with them!

I like both but I prefer spareribs. So did you undercook or overcook your spareribs?

lewdog 06-12-2022 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 16330039)
I like both but I prefer spareribs. So did you undercook or overcook your spareribs?

I did 3-2-1 at 225 and they just didn't seem tender enough so I think undercooked? But every time I do spare ribs they are much tougher than baby backs IMO.

lewdog 06-12-2022 07:48 PM

This place has been open a little over a year and it's right by the house. I am considering trying it for father's day. I have so little hope for BBQ here though that I am not sure it's worth risking yet again.

https://www.ericsfamilybbq.com/

Pablo 06-12-2022 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16330963)
This place has been open a little over a year and it's right by the house. I am considering trying it for father's day. I have so little hope for BBQ here though that I am not sure it's worth risking yet again.

https://www.ericsfamilybbq.com/

Looks promising in the pictures. Says they’re Texas style so probably nail the beef and **** the pork up. Sides looked legit too.

srvy 06-12-2022 08:05 PM

Order the Brisket sandwich for 15 bucks and if its good take the family.

Stewie 06-12-2022 08:18 PM

Time to move all cooking outside. Heat wave approaching.

Pablo 06-19-2022 01:05 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...955aa3d2aa.jpg

Pork belly burnt ends. Got some scalloped potatoes on deck thanks to KCU posting his last time around.

Got some Killer Hogs AP and Meat Church Holy Gospel on there over pecan and cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mililo4cpa 06-19-2022 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16330589)
I did 3-2-1 at 225 and they just didn't seem tender enough so I think undercooked? But every time I do spare ribs they are much tougher than baby backs IMO.

same for me.....at 225, I usually keep them in for more like 8 hours.....at 6, the meat starts pulling back from the bone, but definitely not tender enough.....

Also, I don't wrap mine.....I use an egg, and in FL there seem to be plenty of moisture inside of it to where wrapping doesn't really do anything (other than make a mess)

Pablo 06-19-2022 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mililo4cpa (Post 16340261)
same for me.....at 225, I usually keep them in for more like 8 hours.....at 6, the meat starts pulling back from the bone, but definitely not tender enough.....

Also, I don't wrap mine.....I use an egg, and in FL there seem to be plenty of moisture inside of it to where wrapping doesn't really do anything (other than make a mess)

Yeah I have found you need to run a little hotter and plan for 6 hours minimum more like 7. I'm pretty good at smoking but I'd say I'm happy with my ribs about half of the time and I only do Ferguson cut. Never bought baby backs before honestly. Maybe I will switch it up next time and see how I do.

Pablo 06-19-2022 01:45 PM

And I spritz religiously too and that seems to help with ribs and butt for sure.

KCUnited 06-19-2022 01:53 PM

I like running pork at 275F

4.5-5 hours, no foil works best on my setup for spares. Foil, even just an hour, seems to overcook them on my rig but it obviously seems to work well for others.

Pablo 06-19-2022 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16340282)

4.5-5 hours, no foil works best on my setup for spares. Foil, even just an hour, seems to overcook them on my rig but it obviously seems to work well for others.

I've never even tried to foil them honestly. If I'm gonna foil something then it's going in the oven where I don't have to use charcoal/wood/attention. I try to keep it at 250 but I will bump it up next time and see how it goes.

GloryDayz 06-19-2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 16340250)

Pork belly burnt ends. Got some scalloped potatoes on deck thanks to KCU posting his last time around.

Got some Killer Hogs AP and Meat Church Holy Gospel on there over pecan and cherry.

OUTSTANDING...

GloryDayz 06-19-2022 03:18 PM

First off the smoker. Appetizer...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...308617cac9.jpg

KCUnited 06-19-2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 16340290)
I've never even tried to foil them honestly. If I'm gonna foil something then it's going in the oven where I don't have to use charcoal/wood/attention. I try to keep it at 250 but I will bump it up next time and see how it goes.

Plus here's a live look at me 8 beers deep into a rib cook trying to navigate a spent foil pack full of rib juice from my patio to the trash bin

https://i.imgur.com/6S8WerH.gif

Pablo 06-19-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16340351)
Plus here's a live look at me 8 beers deep into a rib cook trying to navigate a spent foil pack full of rib juice from my patio to the trash bin

https://i.imgur.com/6S8WerH.gif

LMAO

Oh for sure. No good way to throw away drip foil and/or pans.

BigRedChief 06-19-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Never tried them. Turn out tasty?

CatinKS 06-19-2022 07:08 PM

Quote:

I purchase and smoked a couple of pounds. I thought they would taste like bacon, but were not as good. Took leftovers and seared in skillet cutting off excess fat. Need recommendations on how to prepare the 1/4 inch strips leftovers I froze.

philfree 06-19-2022 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16340282)

240 to 275 and it's more like a 3-1.25-.45. I do them kind of like Johnny Trigg except I use some Louisiana Hot sauce Habanero instead of Tiger Sauce, Raw Sugar instead of Brown and then Agave instead of Honey. Don't forget the squeeze butter.

Pablo 06-20-2022 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16340512)
Never tried them. Turn out tasty?

Oh yeah they’re always a winner

Marcellus 06-20-2022 12:38 PM

https://i.imgur.com/TK3uqTz.jpg

Yesterday I made one of the best briskets I have ever tasted. Even the flat was super juicy and just falling apart. It was hard to cut it because it just kept tearing apart.

17.5lbs at 225 for 12.5hrs. I wrapped it at 160F and put some beef broth in the foil and cooked it to 203 then pulled it wrapped in towels and put in a cooler for 2 more hours.

https://i.imgur.com/ptl5Fd2.jpg

Just incredible. Cant wait to have some left overs tonight.

tooge 06-20-2022 03:07 PM

Quote:

Smoking Ribs today.

Don't need to. For babybacks, just do 225 degrees for 5 hours unwrapped. Spray with apple juice every hour and if you want sauce, put it on with 30 minutes left. They will be perfect every time.

Shiver Me Timbers 06-30-2022 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16341203)
https://i.imgur.com/TK3uqTz.jpg

Yesterday I made one of the best briskets I have ever tasted. Even the flat was super juicy and just falling apart. It was hard to cut it because it just kept tearing apart.

17.5lbs at 225 for 12.5hrs. I wrapped it at 160F and put some beef broth in the foil and cooked it to 203 then pulled it wrapped in towels and put in a cooler for 2 more hours.

https://i.imgur.com/ptl5Fd2.jpg

Just incredible. Cant wait to have some left overs tonight.

Nice Job! Perfect Smoke ring

KCUnited 07-02-2022 07:42 PM

Long end vs short end

https://i.imgur.com/DUBRghK.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/rkWDgTy.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/IAC4kWo.jpg?1

cdcox 07-02-2022 08:51 PM

Dad said he wanted to do a brisket this weekend. Which actually meant me cooking a brisket. Started a 11 lbs and had to separate the flat and point to fit on his small ceramic smoker. Ready to put on Monday morning.

https://i.ibb.co/xjfdqwL/50623-CF9-4...-E9-E8-A34.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vVcfy3H/57-D0-EB5-E...F8-F100750.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/ZJyFJND/A08-B2742-9...-A922-BC24.jpg

Sorce 07-02-2022 08:56 PM

You rendering down that fat? I like to wrap in butcher paper covered in tallow to finish.

cdcox 07-02-2022 09:00 PM

No, spur of the moment thing at my dad’s and he wouldn’t use it. Last time I rendered fat was from a duck, Christmas 2020, and it was awesome.

Sorce 07-02-2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 16356055)
No, spur of the moment thing at my dad’s and he wouldn’t use it. Last time I rendered fat was from a duck, Christmas 2020, and it was awesome.

Understand, hate to waste that great fat. Pretty much every brisket I cook has a SS bowl with the trimmings in it to render.

kstater 07-03-2022 07:06 AM

Two pork butts and a brisket. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...65e6a0fafc.jpg

kstater 07-03-2022 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 16356051)
Dad said he wanted to do a brisket this weekend. Which actually meant me cooking a brisket. Started a 11 lbs and had to separate the flat and point to fit on his small ceramic smoker. Ready to put on Monday morning.

https://i.ibb.co/xjfdqwL/50623-CF9-4...-E9-E8-A34.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/vVcfy3H/57-D0-EB5-E...F8-F100750.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/ZJyFJND/A08-B2742-9...-A922-BC24.jpg

I almost always split the flat and the point. Comes out the same. Cook time is little less.

seclark 07-03-2022 03:03 PM

Have the twins home this weekend, and and one of them got out the blackstone grill and fired it up for a few hours, letting it season. Going to cook up a bunch of burgers, brats and dogs.
Blast some early fireworks, and just kick back and enjoy.

Wishing the same to you all!
sec

Buehler445 07-03-2022 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 16356442)
Have the twins home this weekend, and and one of them got out the blackstone grill and fired it up for a few hours, letting it season. Going to cook up a bunch of burgers, brats and dogs.
Blast some early fireworks, and just kick back and enjoy.

Wishing the same to you all!
sec

Do some roasted Pablanos. It changed my burger game. This is where I got the idea.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d-WL0SdlZh8?start=228" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope you're doing well my man.

philfree 07-03-2022 11:01 PM

Going to put a butt in the smoker in the morning and 3 slabs of Baby backs in the late morning. Then I'll put on a marinated Salmon a little later. If I'm going to burn all that fuel, I'm going to cook some stuff.

Otter 07-04-2022 04:32 AM

It's the thought that counts...

https://i.postimg.cc/ncqF2F8v/Same-Burgers-Tony.jpg

philfree 07-04-2022 08:46 AM

Today's Butt

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...bnail_(14).jpg

philfree 07-04-2022 08:49 AM

An important part of using a stick burner is preheating your wood to avoid smoldering dirty smoke. I just lay the logs on top of the firebox.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...bnail_(13).jpg

GloryDayz 07-04-2022 08:52 AM

My offerings for today's BBQ will be poor man's burnt ends and port belly burnt ends. Pics later (if I remember)...

Edit: the before..
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7f593f2966.jpg

philfree 07-04-2022 09:13 AM

It's cooking hotter than I want so I had to improvise so I could dissipate some heat.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...bnail_(15).jpg