ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Somebody's gotta have the inside scoop on Google Fiber launching tomorrow..?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261759)

Dave Lane 02-26-2015 09:40 AM

I want to know how the hell it's isn't in Leawood when I'm surrounded on all sides by it.

penguinz 02-26-2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11346311)
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, it looks like AT&T is bringing their AT&T GigaPower to south Lee's Summit.

Anybody got any opinions/experience with it?

Looks like nearly a Gig down, but not much more than 10mb up. That sucks...

AT&T has a Data Cap. All that is needed to know about it.

hometeam 02-26-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 11348522)

PUKE.

Very glad I have no data cap on my gig service, I use tons.

jiveturkey 02-26-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 11348264)
I want to know how the hell it's isn't in Leawood when I'm surrounded on all sides by it.

Old guys concerned about their yards being dug up.

GloryDayz 02-26-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 11348174)
Why are you so concerned with the upload speed? Are you hosting servers or something?

I telework a lot more these days because Downtown KC has ****ed-up any driving experience in and around 1201 Walnut, and there's a lot more large file up-and-down that I care to admit. Citrix isn't to my liking, and RDT has it's issues too.

And I have hosted a site or two in my time...

Oh, and to limit upload speeds to prevent hosting something is goofy and a pure homo play on the part of the ISP. There's just no really good/acceptable technical reason that's not really rooted in the ISP just not wanting you to host a site (for whatever reason), but it ain't networking.

That being said, I'm not saying I couldn't get along better on AT&T's 8mb up than what I have now with TWC standard, but if Google Fiber is on its way soon, why not give my business to a provider that doesn't have to manufacture bullshit excuses for limiting upload speeds?

Dave Lane 02-26-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 11349168)

I've got a good mind to go outside right now and shake my fist at them.

Valiant 02-26-2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iczer (Post 11338158)
The largest gripe I have with Google Fiber is the guide. I think there's just a slight delay in navigation. It's not as seamless as time warner(can't believe I said that). My sister-in-law has dish and their guide is butter smooth and scrolls through pages very easily.

I deal with it, it's not a deal breaker to me. If I use my phone/ipad and just change channel that way it's smooth since I'm just navigating through the guide their and not on the tv with the remote. Overall I'm happy with it and do not miss Time Warner. Plus I save $50 a month.

Mine was slow. They fixed it. Near seamless now. I think it hurts that they load everything first. If you leave the guide up you can actually watch it scroll.

Valiant 02-26-2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

**** leawood? :)

TribalElder 02-27-2015 12:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 11349168)

I believe Google had an agreement with lea wood at one time but due to some bullshit clause that providers had to do something special and put everything in the ground it made the costs much higher so they bailed out.

AT&T has been raping faces and yards in an effort to grab customers in leawood

007 02-27-2015 12:29 AM

Quote:

Well, at least their Data Cap there is tons higher than here. We are stuck with 250gb for $61 or 500gb for $99.

Total ripoff

Imon Yourside 02-27-2015 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11350193)
Well, at least their Data Cap there is tons higher than here. We are stuck with 250gb for $61 or 500gb for $99.

Total ripoff

Man the more i hear of AT&T i hope they fall apart tomorrow. My apologies if you work for this bastard company, if it falls you can move on to a decent company.

007 02-27-2015 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 11350220)
Man the more i hear of AT&T i hope they fall apart tomorrow. My apologies if you work for this bastard company, if it falls you can move on to a decent company.

Oh, that is ATT and Cox here in Topeka. They both suck.

Imon Yourside 02-27-2015 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11350247)
Oh, that is ATT and Cox here in Topeka. They both suck.

Competition is only as good as the 2 colluding to bend you over.

I'll bet Bruce Jenner had the same choice as you do.

Aspengc8 02-27-2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11349791)
I telework a lot more these days because Downtown KC has ****ed-up any driving experience in and around 1201 Walnut, and there's a lot more large file up-and-down that I care to admit. Citrix isn't to my liking, and RDT has it's issues too.

And I have hosted a site or two in my time...

Oh, and to limit upload speeds to prevent hosting something is goofy and a pure homo play on the part of the ISP. There's just no really good/acceptable technical reason that's not really rooted in the ISP just not wanting you to host a site (for whatever reason), but it ain't networking.

That being said, I'm not saying I couldn't get along better on AT&T's 8mb up than what I have now with TWC standard, but if Google Fiber is on its way soon, why not give my business to a provider that doesn't have to manufacture bullshit excuses for limiting upload speeds?

I was just curious. I am a network engineer for an east coast based provider, but we don't do triple play. If a customer purchases 500Mb of IP service, its up & down, and most don't even use a fraction of that on the up. Just depends on what services your running.

GloryDayz 02-27-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Good to know, it sounds like this might be a "no" when the guy comes knocking.

I want a gig up, a gig down, a phone (**** people who think a real speaker phone isn't better than some goofy PC-based bullshit, it's getting better, but it's still greasy kid's stuff right now!), TV, and to pay one price no matter how much I use of any of it...

And even if my phone is VoIP, and it is (!!!!!) that seperate appliance and the magic (tagging) they do to it in the cable box, makes it 100000000% better than a cell phone or other offerings. I'll try Vonage or MagicJack some other year, but for now, for 5-7 hours a day of conference calls, give me a "land line" (of sorts) and a good speaker phone!