ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240682)

InChiefsHeaven 06-13-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9748561)
I wouldn't go as far as to say it is a bad purchase... just not the right one for her. In and of itself, it is a fine gun. It is hard to screw up a revolver.

I really like the looks of this S&W 638 in your neck of the woods. Still a revolver so you have the reliability of a wheel gun but it also has a shrouded hammer that won't snag yet she can still pull back for SA/DA.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/133077...smith---wesson

Yeah, I meant a bad purchase for her. I'll keep it, it's an nice little plinker and I can conceal it as well. I'll have to look into some others, thanks for the help!

InChiefsHeaven 06-13-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9748461)

Hmmm...that looks like the ticket as well...thanks!

InChiefsHeaven 06-13-2013 07:13 AM

This is the one I got her, by the way:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/6/...Hammerless.jpg

R8RFAN 06-13-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9748389)
I basically got her the gun because it was a relatively cheap caliber and should be easy to shoot, carry, whatever. Since it seems to be a bad purchase, I'll probably just keep it myself and look into a little automatic for her. Live and learn...

If she can't pull the trigger on that gun she may not be able to rack a slide... My daughter and my wife have a very hard time racking a slide... Sometimes they can't even do it.

InChiefsHeaven 06-13-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9748882)
If she can't pull the trigger on that gun she may not be able to rack a slide... My daughter and my wife have a very hard time racking a slide... Sometimes they can't even do it.

She seemed OK with the 1911 and the Glock .40, so hopefully she'd be OK. But I think the key is to have her try a few before I buy...

R8RFAN 06-13-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9748886)
She seemed OK with the 1911 and the Glock .40, so hopefully she'd be OK. But I think the key is to have her try a few before I buy...

Yup... Just remember , a .40 is a good option but if it's not her size she won't carry it... I would rather her have a .380 that she will carry than a .40 she will not.

InChiefsHeaven 06-13-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9748891)
Yup... Just remember , a .40 is a good option but if it's not her size she won't carry it... I would rather her have a .380 that she will carry than a .40 she will not.

Yep. A buddy of mine just got a nice little .380 that I think would be really good for her.

Frazod 06-13-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9748871)
Hmmm...that looks like the ticket as well...thanks!

I think you'd be better served upping your price range by $100-$150, though.

That would put you in the range to get a Springfield XD, a Smith & Wesson (my carry gun is an M&P 9c) or a Glock. I own or have owned all of these, and they'd all be a big step up from that Ruger or some crappy little revolver.

InChiefsHeaven 06-13-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9748989)
I think you'd be better served upping your price range by $100-$150, though.

That would put you in the range to get a Springfield XD, a Smith & Wesson (my carry gun is an M&P 9c) or a Glock. I own or have owned all of these, and they'd all be a big step up from that Ruger or some crappy little revolver.

I hear ya. It's all about the cash though...

Frazod 06-13-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9749002)
I hear ya. It's all about the cash though...

I understand. But on the other hand, it's not like you're buying her a set of dishes here.

Perhaps you could try to sell the revolver to make up the difference.

InChiefsHeaven 06-13-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9749004)
I understand. But on the other hand, it's not like you're buying her a set of dishes here.

Perhaps you could try to sell the revolver to make up the difference.

I'm looking into all options. Thanks for the suggestion, that's not a bad idea...

Frazod 06-13-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9749025)
I'm looking into all options. Thanks for the suggestion, that's not a bad idea...

I sold a couple of guns I rarely/never used to offset the cost of my new 1911.

kepp 06-13-2013 12:50 PM

I'm not sure how plentiful .22lr ammo is these days, but Midway has some in stock - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/592...10-boxes-of-50

Tombstone RJ 06-13-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9746370)
Going to a gun show this weekend, how much would be a reasonable price for a new one pr?

How do you like it also? I like the easy to carry collapsing design.

well the gun show I went to was trying to rape me on the sub2000 they had there. The guy wanted like $800 for it and it was used.

If it's used, I would not pay more than $450 or so, max. And it should come with at least two magazines. The .40 S&W are a little more, bigger bullet, more stopping power. But still, don't let some POS at a gun show tell you "these are hard to find" because they aren't. You can get a brand new one at websites like Guns America but you gotta pay for it. Like $600 or so, but it's in the box.

Don't let a reerun at a gun show screw you.

pr_capone 06-13-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9746370)
Going to a gun show this weekend, how much would be a reasonable price for a new one pr?

How do you like it also? I like the easy to carry collapsing design.

sorry meng... didn't see the post.

reasonable is up to you. you might come across one that has been modified with aftermarket add-ons such as a rotating barrel (so it still folds with a mounted scope), improved front sight, among others. For a bare bones with a minimum of 2 mags I would pay no more than $500.

I've only gone shooting once but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm waiting for the stock extender and front rail to come in. When I collapse it I can fit it, ammo, and a handgun into my old rifle bag when I go to the range.

I quite like this thing.