ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Breaking Bad (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204659)

Lex Luthor 03-17-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 10496038)
It did go the way of Weeds. If Weeds had stuck to the style of season 1, it could have been a great dark comedy, instead it turned into a ridiculous pile of slapstick shit.

edit: Possibly my biggest gripe with Breaking Bad has always been that it evidently takes place over a 2 year span more or less.

Wow, then you must have hated 24.

Reaper16 03-17-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 10498974)
How would you have ended it? If you wanted a realistic ending he dies by the cops in a shootout or blows himself up in a meth lab

I would not have his money going to his family. That's what he wanted all along and he does not deserve to get what he wanted. Basically, I wish the show was more decisive about its morals. Instead it tries to have its cake & eat it too with respect to showing Walt to be a terrible person but also give him the most redemption allowable by the story corners they wrote themselves into.

dmahurin 03-17-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10499180)
I would not have his money going to his family. That's what he wanted all along and he does not deserve to get what he wanted. Basically, I wish the show was more decisive about its morals. Instead it tries to have its cake & eat it too with respect to showing Walt to be a terrible person but also give him the most redemption allowable by the story corners they wrote themselves into.

:bravo:Very well said.

Deberg_1990 03-17-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

We the audience never know if Walt Jr. accepts the money or not? I thought It was made pretty clear he wanted nothing to do with his father or the money.

blaise 03-17-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10499211)
We the audience never know if Walt Jr. accepts the money or not? I thought It was made pretty clear he wanted nothing to do with his father or the money.

He supposedly wouldn't know.

Demonpenz 03-17-2014 11:47 PM

If reaper had a cult he would have peoples eye's taped open with the ribbon from a specific deep cassette of the metal variety and on a TV would be an episode of the Fly...then there would be an IPA enima going up the butt all the while he dances around in a kilt made of half bearcat flag half Xavior Oman pubes

WhiteWhale 03-17-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Someone asks "how would you have ended it'" and all you do is offer more criticism.

Is your entire existence finding fault with things that other people created?

ThaVirus 03-18-2014 12:42 AM

Breaking Bad

As far as I'm concerned, the only redemption he received was in killing off Jack's boys and finally finding some way to get some money to his family.

In the end, he still died, his family wanted nothing to do with him, got Hank killed, wasn't able to see his toddler daughter grow up, and his legacy (as the good man he was for the first 40 or 50 whatever years he lived) was completely tarnished.

KC_Connection 03-18-2014 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10496557)
It's not happy but it is ultimately presented as redemptive, which is horseshit.

I'm not sure why you think Walt wasn't capable of at least some sort of redemption in the end, but I take it you didn't like the ending to Bridge on the River Kwai either? Because that's basically what the ending to this show was.

Walter White=Colonel Nicholson

Reaper16 03-18-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10499421)
Someone asks "how would you have ended it'" and all you do is offer more criticism.

Is your entire existence finding fault with things that other people created?

I took that question to me more rhetorical than literal. If I'm stuck with all story decisions through the penultimate episode then (because I don't want to spend the time to write a whole new ending) I'll go with New Yorker critic Emily Nussbaum's suggestion that Walt should have frozen to death in that car he gets into in the finale; that the episode could play out entirely as it did but as the camera is zooming out of Walt's corpse in the superlab there's a fade to Walt in that car, suggesting that this last redemptive act was just him thinking happy thoughts to himself as he was dying, trapped, unable to do anything about the choices he made.

As for your second sentence (which I will assume is literal as well), the answer is clearly no, if even just for the ways in which I was very positive towards this show in this thread. A good 90% or more of my posts in this thread were praising the show or defending it from the criticisms of others.

DBOSHO 03-18-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10499816)
I took that question to me more rhetorical than literal. If I'm stuck with all story decisions through the penultimate episode then (because I don't want to spend the time to write a whole new ending) I'll go with New Yorker critic Emily Nussbaum's suggestion that Walt should have frozen to death in that car he gets into in the finale; that the episode could play out entirely as it did but as the camera is zooming out of Walt's corpse in the superlab there's a fade to Walt in that car, suggesting that this last redemptive act was just him thinking happy thoughts to himself as he was dying, trapped, unable to do anything about the choices he made.

As for your second sentence (which I will assume is literal as well), the answer is clearly no, if even just for the ways in which I was very positive towards this show in this thread. A good 90% or more of my posts in this thread were praising the show or defending it from the criticisms of others.

After 5 seasons of one of the most well written shows of all time, you want walt
to freeze to death in a car.

blaise 03-18-2014 11:50 AM

I just kind of see it as the show is a certain amount of candy. There's a guilty pleasure in watching a meth cook and rooting for him. There's guilty pleasure in hoping he outfoxes Hank, or in watching the other shady characters and scumbags. Even when it's sort of implausible.
That's kind of how it differs from the Wire for me. Not in a good or bad way, just a different approach. Breaking Bad was sort of drama and story for the sake of drama and story. And it did a fantastic job of it.
The Wire had a point first and worked the story around that. It was basically didactic. And they did a fantastic job of that.
You couldn't end the Wire the way you ended Breaking Bad, but (in my opinion) the ending of Breaking Bad was fine. The audience, I think, wanted things tidy. They want some sort of redemption, in one way or another. Some sort of satisfaction. That was just the nature of the show.
I think they did sort of paint themselves into a corner toward the end, but it's nothing that tarnishes the series for me.

KC native 03-18-2014 11:57 AM

I watched all 5 seasons about 2 weeks ago.

I liked the ending, but I like cheering for the bad guys in series/movies like that.

I was a huge fan of Mel Gibson's role in Payback.

morphius 03-18-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 10500044)
After 5 seasons of one of the most well written shows of all time, you want walt

Dream final would have pissed off everyone!

KC_Connection 03-18-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 10500044)

He deserved it!

Because that's apparently the only thing that matters.