ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science With Mars mission and rover Curiosity, NASA hunts building blocks of life (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261942)

durtyrute 11-21-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9139489)
To assume that this planet is the only one that has intelligent life on it is crazy stupid. Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is estimated to AT LEAST 100 BILLION stars (suns), each of which has who knows how many planets revolving around them. That is ONE galaxy. There are 100,000 KNOWN galaxies (ranging in size, but each certainly containing an AVERAGE of many billions of stars), but it's estimated that there are far, far more.

It'd be like a 4 year old living on a remote island with mom and dad who is shown a video of how big earth is yet insisting that those three people are the only intelligent beings on this planet!

:thumb: This and rep

JD10367 11-21-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9139094)
NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has apparently made a discovery "for the history books," but we'll have to wait a few weeks to find out what the new Red Planet find may be, media reports suggest.

They found proof of life on Mars.

http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...d-47670598.jpg

Donger 11-21-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

To assume that this planet is the only one that has intelligent life on it is crazy stupid. Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is estimated to AT LEAST 100 BILLION stars (suns), each of which has who knows how many planets revolving around them. That is ONE galaxy. There are 100,000 KNOWN galaxies (ranging in size, but each certainly containing an AVERAGE of many billions of stars), but it's estimated that there are far, far more.

It'd be like a 4 year old living on a remote island with mom and dad who is shown a video of how big earth is yet insisting that those three people are the only intelligent beings on this planet!

Hey look, it's Carl.

Donger 11-21-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9139554)
That is just ridiculous.

:spock:

Dave Lane 11-21-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

You are underselling it by a bunch. The Milky way is estimated to contain 200-400 Billion stars and the estimate for known galaxies is over 100 BILLION.

durtyrute 11-21-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9139781)
You are underselling it by a bunch. The Milky way is estimated to contain 200-400 Billion stars and the estimate for known galaxies is over 100 BILLION.

....but there is only 1 planet that has life on it.

Bowser 11-21-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9139787)
....but there is only 1 planet that has life on it.

Which one?

Dave Lane 11-21-2012 03:08 PM

Here count the stars in this one image I took:

http://re-prop.com/conor/SynthRGB_Bubble.jpg

Zoom in for best effect

Bowser 11-21-2012 03:31 PM

19. Not positive though. There seems to be a ton of smears on your lens.

Fish 12-03-2012 01:05 PM

So..... NASA has announced that they have found organic compounds on Mars but that they are currently unable to confirm that these compounds are indigenous to Mars.

Listen to the presser here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/27478475

This Curiosity mission has exceeded expectations more than ever thought possible...

Fat Elvis 12-03-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h5n1 (Post 9139517)
internal combustion? yeah, not historic at all. antibiotics and antivirals? yeah, not historic at all. unlocking the secrets of the universe? yeah, not historic at all.

the general public is ****ing stupid, in general; you name me an advancement that moved society into the future, and I'll show you a group of scientists in the background toiling away in obscurity (for the most part).

The wheel. Written language. There were a whole of lot things that REALLY moved society into the future long before the advent of science. Science rides on the coattails of truly monumental changes.

keg in kc 12-03-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9176444)
So..... NASA has announced that they have found organic compounds on Mars but that they are currently unable to confirm that these compounds are indigenous to Mars.

I'm actually surprised that's what the announcement was. Guess they weren't kidding about it being big news.

Fish 12-03-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9176713)
The wheel. Written language. There were a whole of lot things that REALLY moved society into the future long before the advent of science. Science rides on the coattails of truly monumental changes.

:facepalm:

Just when do you think this "Advent of science" took place? Was there no science in use when early man began using the wheel? I'm a little uncertain as to when Science was created and people officially began using it....

Dave Lane 12-03-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9176713)

The guy who "invented" the wheel was a scientist.

sci·ence [sahy-uh ns] noun

1.a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws.

2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

3. any of the branches of natural or physical science.

4. systematized knowledge in general.

5. knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.

keg in kc 12-03-2012 03:11 PM

It's odd that we're talking about the wheel and written language when we live in a world that's seen more technological advancement in the last century than in all known prior history, and that advancement has been increasing exponentially for the last 30 years or so. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in an episode of star trek. I mean, shit, I just saw a commercial that had a woman's phone translating real time into spanish. Hello Tricorder.