ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

Dayze 06-18-2014 03:15 PM

**** that.

I'd rather drive to Spring Hill for K&M. Gates blows. Jack Stack is a go to.
OK Joes is...well, 'o.k.'. a majority of the BBQ in this town aren't very good, or at least don't live up to the hype

sedated 06-18-2014 03:18 PM

I tried Danny Edwards BBQ a few weeks ago and it drew me back last weekend. Their brisket is fantastic! Hands down the most tender I’ve ever had, and no fat chunks. Its so well cooked that they can cut it super thick, rather than versions that have to be sliced like deli meat to hide their chewiness.

Only problem is that its never open. They close at 3 every day and all day on Sunday. Thought I could sneak in there for lunch on Memorial day, but apparently they decided not to open that day either.

Dayze 06-18-2014 03:19 PM

one place i LOVED was a place called "B.C.'s" at 470 and Blue Ridge. tiny, dive place. but when I lived in grandview, I tried it one day and it was in my top 3. their sammiches were huge, and a ton of fries for like $7. of course, it's closed now i believe.

sedated 06-18-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10701093)
Jack Stack is a go to.

I’ve had very meh experiences at Jack Stack recently. Particularly the freight house location, last year I had one of the most forgettable BBQ meals I can remember. However the plaza location has been solid.

Dayze 06-18-2014 03:21 PM

hmmm. I haven't been there in probably 2 years or so. and it was at the 95th/metcalf etc.

they have one on the plaza now?

Fish 06-18-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10701088)
I live right down the street, have heard good things, but haven’t tried it yet – it looks overpriced. Unless I’m missing something on the menu, its $12-15 for a sandwich and side. $4 for a single slider.

I'm just a few blocks down the street myself, which is why I was curious. But those prices are a little shocking. Hadn't seen that yet. That's kinda silly considering how many good affordable BBQ joints are around.

bdj23 06-18-2014 03:21 PM

I went with Oklahoma Joe's... Only because I had a hair in my pulled pork last time I went to Jack Stack.

Dayze 06-18-2014 03:22 PM

maybe it was Jack's hair

Fish 06-18-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10701104)
hmmm. I haven't been there in probably 2 years or so. and it was at the 95th/metcalf etc.

they have one on the plaza now?

Yeah, it's where the old KC Masterpiece used to be. It's always been solid.

BigRedChief 06-18-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10701093)
a majority of the BBQ in this town aren't very good, or at least don't live up to the hype

You need to come down here to Florida and taste what passes for "good" BBQ. The stuff that comes out of my smoker is way better. It's a damn low bar here.

BWillie 06-18-2014 03:28 PM

Need a new poal IMO, 5 year old poal is dated. Okie Joes will win it hands down if you put a pole up now.

And Q39 or whatever, it's okay. It's trying to go a little fancy, but I've had at least 5 plaecs in KC better.

Dayze 06-18-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10701114)
You need to come down here to Florida and taste what passes for "good" BBQ. The stuff that comes out of my smoker is way better. It's a damn low bar here.

LMAO

you need to sell that chit.

Dayze 06-18-2014 03:32 PM

for me, everytime I've been to K&M BBQ in Springhill, i haven't been disappointed. same with Jack Stack. i've tried, tried, tried, to like Gates....onces even taking a 3 year hiatus from it since the time before it sucked pipe. yet, even after 3 years i thought it sucked. only good things were the fries and the sauce (the sauce 'if' that). Dry ass brisket. hame and turkey tasted like smoked lunch meat etc.

Haven't been since probably 2005.

sedated 06-18-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10701127)
i've tried, tried, tried, to like Gates....onces even taking a 3 year hiatus from it since the time before it sucked pipe. yet, even after 3 years i thought it sucked. only good things were the fries and the sauce (the sauce 'if' that). Dry ass brisket. hame and turkey tasted like smoked lunch meat etc.

There’s one maybe 3 or 4 miles from me, but I haven’t had Gates in forever. I don’t hate it, but the comment about the dry brisket is the troof. I have been known to sneak their extra hot sauce into other places.

Raiderhater 06-18-2014 04:08 PM

I decided to try Danny Edwards' Boulevard BBQ a couple of weeks ago. I was far from impressed. I got their combo plate substituting burnt ends for the ham. The chicken sucked, and the ribs were not much better. The sliced beef was ok and the burnt ends were actually decent. The only reason I may go back would be to grab a burnt end sandwich.