ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Well, Bye, Kansas City... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308263)

Ming the Merciless 06-14-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12916207)
6.50 IS the Fasttrak price. :(

Ugh

Bugeater 06-14-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12916273)
I agree. I love the changing weather and having 4 different seasons a year. Watching the leaves change in Fall, spending the summers at one of the hundreds of lakes around here. Love camping in the Spring and the first snow of winter.

California has so many beautiful places, but the traffic and high cost of Everything there is a big negative compared to the midwest. I would pick the Northern part close to the Sequoias in Jebediah park. I also like the Southern part around San Diego and Chula Vista. I have family in the Luguna area. San Fran area is pretty amazing as well. Never liked LA or Oakland at all.

I love California but would never want to live there.

NoCal is fantastic, loved Yosemite and have spent several vacations in Lake Tahoe. Would love to get back out there again sometime. Never been to SoCal and don't really have any desire to visit there.

Rain Man 06-14-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12916381)
NoCal is fantastic, loved Yosemite and have spent several vacations in Lake Tahoe. Would love to get back out there again sometime. Never been to SoCal and don't really have any desire to visit there.

Go to Laguna Beach. It's a pretty cool place. I could live in Laguna Beach or that nearby area as long as I never had to go into LA County.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12916369)
Wow.. I would seriously just not live in a place like that. That would drive me insane getting nickel and dimed like that. That shit adds up. Probably why there is a huge growing trend of people in So Cal living in vans. No lie. Tons of people are now living in vans, on the side of the street, in the Trader Joes parking lot, because of the cost of housing is outrageous.

LMAO

eDave 06-14-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12915881)
I've got my full container of ball powder all ready to go! :D

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/11/11db2e...1eb30d7baa.jpg

Heat not withstanding, Phoenix, to me, is a nice cross between KC and So. Cal. with costs relative to KC.

Plenty of people here from California and I can have my toes in the ocean in Laguna in 5.5 hours. I can be in Porto Penasco, Vegas, San Deigo in about the same time.

The Franchise 06-14-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916428)
LMAO

You must have a pretty sweet van.

Rain Man 06-14-2017 01:00 PM

What's the cost per hour for Uber? You could get an uber every night and give them a destination that's eight hours away, and then sleep in the back seat. Edit: four hours away, and then pin a note to your shirt telling them to bring you back when you arrive.

Halfcan 06-14-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

One of the best places we ever camped in California was in Chula Vista. It has probably changed for the worst since we were there, but it used to be a very nice place. I liked the beautiful weather, the small town feel of the square, the little one movie theater and the very friendly folks that lived there.

Yosemite is on my list as one of the National Parks I have not been too.

Good to see California has finally had some rain. Last time I was there, most of the state was dry, brown and ugly. A lot of the forest had burned in the southern part.

One thing they will never beat my hometown on is the water from the tap. We have the best water in the country. California water sucks. It would get expensive buying bottled water all the time.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12916449)
What's the cost per hour for Uber?

Unlike traditional Taxi's, Uber charges from destination to destination, regardless of the time passed during the commute.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12916456)
California water sucks. It would get expensive buying bottled water all the time.

A 24 pack of 16oz bottles costs $3 dollars at Costco.

Furthermore, filters for water through a refrigerator cost $18 dollars for 300 gallons of water or six months usage.

BWillie 06-14-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916428)
LMAO

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12916540)

And I hope you realize that there are more than 11 million people living in LA County and another 10 million in the LA Basin.

More than 4,600 cars and RVS were in use as living quarters this year in Los Angeles

tooge 06-14-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916156)
If I had my druthers, we'd live in Marin as opposed to the heart of Hollywood but all of the studios and production companies are located here.

My children are also planning to be in the entertainment business as well, so it would make it much harder for them if we moved 400 miles north, when Disney, Uni and Warner Brothers are 12 minutes away.

Marin County is gorgeous. I lived in downtown SF a couple of summers while in college. Loved it. Got across the bridge often. Also lived across the bay in the San Mateo area and liked that also.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 12916558)
Marin County is gorgeous. I lived in downtown SF a couple of summers while in college. Loved it. Got across the bridge often. Also lived across the bay in the San Mateo area and liked that also.

Agreed. My wife's from NorCal so I've been there several times and even proposed on Pier 39.

I lived in Berkeley during the summer of '93 and that was a blast.

BWillie 06-14-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916542)
And I hope you realize that there are more than 11 million people living in LA County and another 10 million in the LA Basin.

More than 4,600 cars and RVS were in use as living quarters this year in Los Angeles

I'm just saying it's a trend. Tons of vlogs and even a reddit sub category for van dwellers in SoCal. 4,600 is just an estimate. It's hard to point out a van dweller. I'm sure they don't go around bragging about it.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12916582)
I'm just saying it's a trend. Tons of vlogs and even a reddit sub category for van dwellers in SoCal. 4,600 is just an estimate. It's hard to point out a van dweller. I'm sure they don't go around bragging about it.

Good ****ing god, Dude. It's not a "trend".

Do you know why there are people living in their vehicles at the beach or around town? Because many CHOOSE to do so.

Also, you're not going to die in the climate when it rarely even reaches 50 degrees at night.

And 4,600 out of 11 million people is 0.000418182%.

lewdog 06-14-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

People have been living in vans for a long time, especially in that part of the country where there isn't much winter. Also why the homeless population is so big there.

Just because it gets some ****ing press doesn't mean it's something that's new or a "trend."

KCUnited 06-14-2017 05:23 PM

Don't care how healthy you're trying to convince everyone you are, 6 months from now you're going to get a hankerin' for some QuikTrip.

TribalElder 06-14-2017 05:44 PM

Does California pay everyone like 300k or something? How is it even possible financially?

Clyde Frog 06-14-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 12916798)
Does California pay everyone like 300k or something? How is it even possible financially?

I wish. Roommates, rent control and the further East or away from the major cities you live, the cheaper it gets.

Simply Red 06-14-2017 06:32 PM

Good luck to you.

Randallflagg 06-14-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...425-story.html

Read it and weep.....

Eureka 06-14-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12916456)
One of the best places we ever camped in California was in Chula Vista. It has probably changed for the worst since we were there, but it used to be a very nice place. I liked the beautiful weather, the small town feel of the square, the little one movie theater and the very friendly folks that lived there.

Yosemite is on my list as one of the National Parks I have not been too.

Good to see California has finally had some rain. Last time I was there, most of the state was dry, brown and ugly. A lot of the forest had burned in the southern part.

One thing they will never beat my hometown on is the water from the tap. We have the best water in the country. California water sucks. It would get expensive buying bottled water all the time.

I live in NorCal and we have awesome water right out the tap. I'm on the north coast in Arcata right next to Redwood state park. I will agree other parts of the state the water can suck. My town is what you describe. Heck they have the oldest running movie theater in the united states.

lewdog 06-14-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

I get offered jobs in the high cost of living areas of California quiet frequently. These jobs would boost my pay about 25-30% compared to what I make now. The boost in pay, however, would not let me live how I'd live here. I'd have to live in a house half the size. The wife and I would likely become a one car house. I'd likely even have to live in a less desirable area compared to the nice neighborhood we live in now.

But that's the choice many make in living in a state like California, with great weather and with tons to do. I can totally see why people do it.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiStateNo (Post 12916867)

A house on my street went for $675k a few weeks ago.

It's on a hillside, about 40 years old and 600 square feet.

Bearcat 06-14-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916889)
A house on my street went for $675k a few weeks ago.

It's on a hillside, about 40 years old and 600 square feet.

I had to wrap my head around looking at houses here that are 2-3 times the cost per sqft than KC.... much less 16 times more. That's a KC mortgage payment per square foot. LMAO

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12916916)
I had to wrap my head around looking at houses here that are 2-3 times the cost per sqft than KC.... much less 16 times more. That's a KC mortgage payment per square foot. LMAO

I can't believe it sold. It has to be a tear down, with a new architecturely approved home, right?

I haven't seen the new owner yet, but there are two new builds happening at the end of my street that are 3,500 square feet, with pools and all high end amenities that are already listed at $2.8 ahead of a November completion date, so it makes sense that this buyer bought it as a tear down and rebuild.

KCUnited 06-14-2017 07:25 PM

Both my wife and I have occupational home offices in/around LA and we both chose to work remotely due to the cost of housing. Chicago is the biggest bang for our buck amenities-wise as we're willing to go outside of some life changing salary offer. I'll take the humidity and cold for an entire world within walking distance outside my front door at this stage in my life. I don't want to turn 50 in Chicago though, it's a youthful grind, so the west coast/southwest US will always be on the radar.

scho63 06-14-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12916883)
I get offered jobs in the high cost of living areas of California quiet frequently. These jobs would boost my pay about 25-30% compared to what I make now. The boost in pay, however, would not let me live how I'd live here. I'd have to live in a house half the size. The wife and I would likely become a one car house. I'd likely even have to live in a less desirable area compared to the nice neighborhood we live in now.

But that's the choice many make in living in a state like California, with great weather and with tons to do. I can totally see why people do it.

Plus you wouldn't get to hang out with scho63.That's the real downside. :D

Why Not? 06-14-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12916953)
Plus you wouldn't get to hang out with why not?That's the real downside. :D

Hijacked!

lewdog 06-14-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12916953)
Plus you wouldn't get to hang out with scho63.That's the real downside. :D

This is so true.

Plus I don't think I could swing the Cali vibe like Dane does. That takes a special kind of person.

GloryDayz 06-14-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915828)
Traffic is already insane. Some days, it'll take 20 minutes to get to our preschool, which is 1.4 miles from our home. Many of the new towers are being constructed on former parking lots, which were $10-$15 dollars per, so parking will be even worse, if non-existent, to non-tenants.

It's almost to the point where I won't drive, other than to Costco, Ralphs and to the schools now, so I'd imagine that I'll start using Instacart and Costco delivery more often and Uber nearly everywhere because it'll be cheaper to Uber than drive and park.

I had an event at the Director's Guild last year in which parking was $30 dollars per day and sold out when I arrived at 8am. Parking at Trader Joe's was $40 dollars for the day so instead of parking, I drove back home and requested an Uber.

It cost $8 dollars round trip, with zero frustration.

Smart man... Wow, just WOW!!!

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12917159)
Smart man... Wow, just WOW!!!

Not that smart, but thanks :D

The smart move would have been to order an Uber at 7:20am. :(

I missed my buddy Brian Tyler's Keynote speech.

BucEyedPea 06-14-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

I despise LA. Looked like a space colony to me. Ick!

I will always prefer the East Coast anyway, more charm, more history, more quaint. Tho' Cali has some quaint areas going up the coast. It's a pretty state and the west has more majestic landscapes. It is very beautiful driving up Rte One through to Seattle. Would love to see Yosemite. But I'm an East Coaster.

BucEyedPea 06-14-2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 12915459)
Dude, my pool is perfectly shaded. That shit is downright cold through July. It's awesome.

My pool will be as warm as bath water in July and August.

BucEyedPea 06-14-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12916273)
I agree. I love the changing weather and having 4 different seasons a year. Watching the leaves change in Fall, spending the summers at one of the hundreds of lakes around here. Love camping in the Spring and the first snow of winter.

I miss the seasons but wouldn't want to bear NorthEast winters again. I am considering North Carolina because it's the furthest south on the east coast you can go and still get seasons. Just not as severe a winter.

TinyEvel 06-14-2017 11:41 PM

I'm good. This place is magic. If I never have to move again, I'm set. Yeah I will have to figure out how to afford a 1.5Million dollar 3 bedroom home, but to wake up every day amongst cawing birds and eucalyptus and redwoods and a cup of organic coffee, then hike to the beach...and then a few times a year drive my old VW camper up the coast and camp in the dunes...that is all worth it to me. Gonna do what I must to make it so. KC, I love you and it was great and I'll be back for a Chiefs game each year, but, me gonna do this for now.
http://i.imgur.com/Z9k2NuK.jpg

BucEyedPea 06-14-2017 11:59 PM

Being near an ocean is nice. Ocean is a must for me. Nice picture.

crazycoffey 06-15-2017 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12917257)
I'm good. This place is magic. If I never have to move again, I'm set. Yeah I will have to figure out how to afford a 1.5Million dollar 3 bedroom home, but I have means. To wake up every day amongst cawing birds and eucalyptus and redwoods and a cup of organic coffee, then hike to the beach...and then a few times a year drive my old VW camper up the coast and camp in the dunes...that is all worth it to me. Gonna do what I must to make it so. KC, I love you and it was great and I'll be back for a Chiefs games each year, but, me gonna do this for now.

Did you say organic Coffey?

TribalElder 06-15-2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

I'm good. This place is magic. If I never have to move again, I'm set. Yeah I will have to figure out how to afford a 1.5Million dollar 3 bedroom home, but I have means. To wake up every day amongst cawing birds and eucalyptus and redwoods and a cup of organic coffee, then hike to the beach...and then a few times a year drive my old VW camper up the coast and camp in the dunes...that is all worth it to me. Gonna do what I must to make it so. KC, I love you and it was great and I'll be back for a Chiefs games each year, but, me gonna do this for now.

That looks a nice place, no wonder it's so expensive

So it's nothing like this site claims http://mochimachine.org/wasteland/

BucEyedPea 06-15-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 12917302)
Did you say organic Coffey?

Yes he did and it's quite good.

tooge 06-15-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Otherwise, you'll be livin in a van.......DOWN BY THE RIVER!

scho63 06-15-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12916045)
My new commute situation I'll drive across the Golden Gate bridge each day ($6.50) and parking will be $17 each day. That's 23.50 a day, times 20 days a month: that's $470 a month just to drive to the city. :cuss:

Any way to do mass transit either full time or a few times a week to save money? :hmmm:

RunKC 06-15-2017 07:48 AM

My best friend moved to Vancouver, Oregon (just outside of Portland) and he got a nice house for 355k which seems like a great deal. He's got mountains and the ocean within 90 minutes of his house.

I have thought about relocating before, and I won't get too far into this, but I just can't handle the politics of the west coast.

scho63 06-15-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12917223)
My pool will be as warm as bath water in July and August.

Then it is no longer a pool and just a giant bathtub! :eek:

mr. tegu 06-15-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916480)
A 24 pack of 16oz bottles costs $3 dollars at Costco.

Furthermore, filters for water through a refrigerator cost $18 dollars for 300 gallons of water or six months usage.

Is that really your Costco water price? Here in Overland Park we get a 40 pack of 16 oz bottles for $2.99.

Shag 06-15-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

I'm good. This place is magic. If I never have to move again, I'm set. Yeah I will have to figure out how to afford a 1.5Million dollar 3 bedroom home, but to wake up every day amongst cawing birds and eucalyptus and redwoods and a cup of organic coffee, then hike to the beach...and then a few times a year drive my old VW camper up the coast and camp in the dunes...that is all worth it to me. Gonna do what I must to make it so. KC, I love you and it was great and I'll be back for a Chiefs game each year, but, me gonna do this for now.

Damn straight. I moved to San Diego late last year after living my entire life in the midwest, and I can't see myself ever leaving. 3-4x/week at the beach, lots of great hiking, relatively easy access to mountains, perfect weather year round, best beer scene around. I'm outside every day, can play sports year round, and my dog is in heaven at the numerous dog beaches.

Sure, the cost of living is high, but it's worth every penny. Plus, Chiefs games ending at ~1pm most Sundays is amazing - the rest of my day at my disposal.

Rain Man 06-15-2017 10:24 AM

I'm just going to sit here in high-altitude heaven and watch all of you lowlanders talk up your places.

mr. tegu 06-15-2017 10:28 AM

We love living in Kansas, but definitely recognize there are some things we love that it just can't offer, mostly related to the outdoor activities, such as mountains and oceans and all that those things entail. But that's why we want to try to purchase a vacation property or two, that would be rented out when we aren't there. Thinking something in Colorado for the mountains, hiking, etc and then something near an ocean. The low cost of living here makes those things very doable.

Bearcat 06-15-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12917605)
I'm just going to sit here in high-altitude heaven and watch all of you lowlanders talk up your places.

Yep.:D

Rain Man 06-15-2017 10:38 AM

So what differentiates one place from another?

We've got a couple of obvious things:

climate
topography/geographic features

I think human culture is a third. I think people have different life philosophies in different places, though I'm sure you could find different subsets in larger cities. But still, San Francisco is fundamentally different than Nashville. This is not just political, but also religious and even vocational. People in an industrial town may have a different way of seeing things than people who live in a technology town or a college town or a military town.

Perhaps a subset of human culture is food. I was back in southern Missouri recently and the restaurant choices leaned much more classic American than I see in Denver.

I saw a reference to water quality earlier in the thread, and perhaps air quality could fall into that as well.

Architecture is certainly a regional difference. I was in Virginia a while back, and I can appreciate their strong colonial architecture, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

What else differentiates a place to live?

DaneMcCloud 06-15-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 12917597)
Is that really your Costco water price? Here in Overland Park we get a 40 pack of 16 oz bottles for $2.99.

I think it's a 24 pack. To be honest, I never really paid attention, as I only buy it for events like birthday parties and such.

I'll confirm next time I'm there.

mr. tegu 06-15-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12917674)
I think it's a 24 pack. To be honest, I never really paid attention, as I only buy it for events like birthday parties and such.

I'll confirm next time I'm there.

I have always wondered if national retailers change the price based on location. But with places like Home Depot people can buy online, so I wonder do they also give different online prices based on location? Or is it the same and they don't inflate based on location? Anyone know?

Bugeater 06-15-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

I actually considered a move to the Denver area earlier this year...until I saw your property values up there. I'll just stick to visiting once a year.

Bugeater 06-15-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12917629)

We've got a couple of obvious things:

climate
topography/geographic features

I think human culture is a third. I think people have different life philosophies in different places, though I'm sure you could find different subsets in larger cities. But still, San Francisco is fundamentally different than Nashville. This is not just political, but also religious and even vocational. People in an industrial town may have a different way of seeing things than people who live in a technology town or a college town or a military town.

Perhaps a subset of human culture is food. I was back in southern Missouri recently and the restaurant choices leaned much more classic American than I see in Denver.

I saw a reference to water quality earlier in the thread, and perhaps air quality could fall into that as well.

Architecture is certainly a regional difference. I was in Virginia a while back, and I can appreciate their strong colonial architecture, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Apparently, the cost of bottled water.

Rain Man 06-15-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 12917685)
I have always wondered if national retailers change the price based on location. But with places like Home Depot people can buy online, so I wonder do they also give different online prices based on location? Or is it the same and they don't inflate based on location? Anyone know?

My price for this is $6.80. What's yours? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Morton-Sa...1500/100089553

My price for this is $9.38. What's yours? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dr-Pepper...z-6pk/20854248

My price for this is $26.99. What's yours? https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100047638.html

DaneMcCloud 06-15-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

I don't think that climate, geography and topography can be overstated. The Mean Temperature in Los Angeles is 71 degrees, with only 18 inches of rain per year. When it's sunny 330 days out of the year, it really does affect your disposition, especially in the morning.

Also, where I live, I can hike directly in front of my home or at Lake Hollywood, which is a 2 minute car ride or about a 10 minute walk up a step hill. I can be at the Santa Monica Pier in 45 minutes or less (without traffic, probably 30 minutes) or at my favorite beach, Will Rogers, which is in between the SM Pier and Malibu. I park on Temescal Canyon Road and can ride my bike on a bike path from there all the way to Redondo Beach and back (about a 40 mile roundtrip hike).

I can drive 2 hours to Palm Springs, which is awesome in the Spring and Fall (and not too bad in the summer, if you're at a nice resort), drive 5.5 hours up the coast to San Francisco or 90 minutes down the 5 to Carlsbad, which is essentially the IPA Beer Capital of the World. From there, I can go to Legoland or catch the Amtrack for a few bucks and have it drop me off in front of the Padres baseball stadium, where I can see a game or hit one of the many bars and restaurants, then take the train back to Carlsbad.

I can take a 45 minute boat trip to Catalina Island or take a two hour car ride to Lake Arrowhead in the winter to go skiing and snowboarding. Disneyland is generally a 30 minute drive from my home most mornings and I can hop a 2 hour flight to Cabo San Lucas to hang out and drink in an infinity pool for the weekend, then fly back home without missing a beat.

It's impossible to do these things living in Colorado, Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma, et al, which is probably why we have 40 million people living in this state.

DaneMcCloud 06-15-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12917722)
Apparently, the cost of bottled water.

LMAO

Bugeater 06-15-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12917724)
My price for this is $6.80. What's yours? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Morton-Sa...1500/100089553

My price for this is $9.38. What's yours? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dr-Pepper...z-6pk/20854248

My price for this is $26.99. What's yours? https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100047638.html

Same prices except the salt is $6.95 for me. So much for the low cost of living in Pigsknuckle.

Rain Man 06-15-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12917720)
I actually considered a move to the Denver area earlier this year...until I saw your property values up there. I'll just stick to visiting once a year.

We've had some notable price appreciation during my 20+ years here, most definitely. I'd be hard-pressed to afford the house that I live in if I was buying it today.

Most areas probably have similar patterns, but there are huge differences by region within the metro area. Out by the airport, I think the average price is 1/2 of the average price in my central-city neighborhood, or even less. But those people are generally paying a hefty commuting price, even without the Golden Gate Bridge toll.

Rain Man 06-15-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12917729)
Same prices except the salt is $6.95 for me. So much for the low cost of living in Pigsknuckle.

You're getting screwed over on your salt.

Shag 06-15-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12917727)
90 minutes down the 5 to Carlsbad, which is essentially the IPA Beer Capital of the World

Carlsbad? I can see saying that about San Diego County as a whole, but curious why you would tag that to Carlsbad specifically...

Bugeater 06-15-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12917732)
We've had some notable price appreciation during my 20+ years here, most definitely. I'd be hard-pressed to afford the house that I live in if I was buying it today.

Most areas probably have similar patterns, but there are huge differences by region within the metro area. Out by the airport, I think the average price is 1/2 of the average price in my central-city neighborhood, or even less. But those people are generally paying a hefty commuting price, even without the Golden Gate Bridge toll.

I was looking around the Aurora/Centennial area, because that's where the potential job opportunity was. I could probably get around $180k for my current house here, I can't even touch a fixer upper in that area for that money.

Randallflagg 06-15-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Indeed. The last time I was in Denver, people were raising hell about all the California people who were buying up the real estate in Colorado.....

DaneMcCloud 06-15-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 12917741)
Carlsbad? I can see saying that about San Diego County as a whole, but curious why you would tag that to Carlsbad specifically...

I have a friend that lives there that's constantly raving about all of the places in the Village and the numerous IPA's.

I joined him one Saturday afternoon and man, it seemed endless.

Rasputin 06-15-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

I drove nearly 4 hours to get to Denver airport to pick up my daughter and the entire drive was flat. Only got to see the mountains that stretched a great distance but it was still flat coming into Denver.

ToxSocks 06-15-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12917758)
I have a friend that lives there that's constantly raving about all of the places in the Village and the numerous IPA's.

I joined him one Saturday afternoon and man, it seemed endless.

Carlsbad is nice. I grew up in Oceanside, the neighbor to the north.

But yeah, breweries are all over San Diego county...it's like...our thing i guess...

"San Diego basically owns two global subcultures for a short period of time each year: They own nerd culture during San Diego Comic-Con. And they own beer culture during San Diego Beer Week. It’s arguably the best city on the planet for beer, let alone the United States, particularly if you’re into the now-trendy hop-heavy variety of craft beer.

The riches are endless: Stone. AleSmith. Ballast. Green Flash. Modern Times. Mike Hess. Karl Strauss. Societe. Rough Draft. Helms. Benchmark. We could go on: the city is home to 123 breweries, microbreweries, and brewpubs. The city basically created the Double IPA, and one of the local breweries has won “Best Small Brewery” at the Great American Beer Festival four times, and Pizza Port has won several awards as one of the brewpubs in the US.

We don’t usually like to honor the big, obvious choices in these lists, favoring always lesser-known and lesser-appreciated towns and cities, but there comes a point when you’re so big, and so obvious, that ignoring you is just plain stupid. San Diego, we bow to your beer dominance."

DaneMcCloud 06-15-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

And finally, for me anyway, I live in Los Angeles because it's the music and entertainment capital of the world. If the music and entertainment capital of the world was Kansas City, I would have never moved but in 1993, I didn't have a choice. Today, it's somewhat easier due to the internet but it's nowhere near as "easy" as attending one of the many music related functions each month and getting real "face time" with decision makers (i.e., Music Supervisors, Production Music library execs and creative departments, Ad agency execs, etc.).

While I haven't forayed much into composing for scripted television and movies, mainly due to the time it requires, which would take away serious time from my young children, I could theoretically move from Los Angeles to another city (or state) because I'm already established as a composer for the biggest production music libraries in the world. But as mentioned earlier, both of my children have aspirations of working in the TV and movie business, so it doesn't make any sense to move further from Hollywood, which would take them out of this element.

So in reality, there's no reason to do so. My children love their friends, their respective schools and where we live. My wife has an amazing job 15 minutes from our home. We have plenty of friends nearby and with the 17 new hotels and multiple skyscrapers planned for Hollywood just minutes from our home, we'll have even more choices for restaurants, "Staycations" and will likely see our property value skyrocket once everything completed. Also, our home does everything we need, including housing a large, sound proofed studio for me, an office for my wife while each of my kids have their own bedrooms and bathrooms.

But yeah, I think location is also tied to certain job opportunities for sure.

DaneMcCloud 06-15-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12917762)
Carlsbad is nice. I grew up in Oceanside, the neighbor to the north.

Have you ever been to Dini's? We hung out there one Saturday afternoon and drank so many different IPA's that I couldn't keep track. Awesome view of the ocean as well as many hot chica's.

KCUnited 06-15-2017 11:55 AM

Having just returned from somewhat of a beercation in SD last weekend, I was a bit underwhelmed with their IPAs, and I love IPAs. Their beer scene was super cool though and I respect it, just came away underwhelmed with what I was able to try. I glanced at some literature that listed 200+ breweries/craft-centric pubs in the SD area though, which is impressive.

Rain Man 06-15-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12917759)
I drove nearly 4 hours to get to Denver airport to pick up my daughter and the entire drive was flat. Only got to see the mountains that stretched a great distance but it was still flat coming into Denver.

The mountains are only for residents.

mr. tegu 06-15-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Interesting! My price with Home Depot is $5.65 so over a dollar difference. On the Dr. Pepper with Walmart I get the same price, however the product is not in stock and shipping is not available anyways. On the Costco seasoning I also get the same price but it does say prices vary by store.

The Franchise 06-15-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

1. Salt - My price is $4.14.
2. Soda - My price is $9.38.
3. Spices - My price is $26.99.

ToxSocks 06-15-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiStateNo (Post 12917753)
Indeed. The last time I was in Denver, people were raising hell about all the California people who were buying up the real estate in Colorado.....

I always find it funny how much hate we Californians get, yet our state/cities are overflowing with people from the rest of the country.

ToxSocks 06-15-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12917775)
Have you ever been to Dini's? We hung out there one Saturday afternoon and drank so many different IPA's that I couldn't keep track. Awesome view of the ocean as well as many hot chica's.

I have not. There's a lot pf places i need to check out still. I'll add this to the list.

ToxSocks 06-15-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12917778)
Having just returned from somewhat of a beercation in SD last weekend, I was a bit underwhelmed with their IPAs, and I love IPAs. Their beer scene was super cool though and I respect it, just came away underwhelmed with what I was able to try. I glanced at some literature that listed 200+ breweries/craft-centric pubs in the SD area though, which is impressive.

I'm underwhelmed by IPA's in general. My wife loves them and we went through a phase for a couple of years where we'd try anything and everything.

Afterawhile i realized that an IPA tastes like...well an IPA.

Kinda like weed. After awhile it all starts tasting the same lol.

DaneMcCloud 06-15-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12917810)

As someone who drank beer from age 14, about 5 years ago, I stopped drinking beer. I don't know what happened but it was like a "switch" was flipped and I just didn't like the taste, the buzz, nothing. I switched to Vodka/Soda and I've been happy with that ever since. It's kind of weird.

Anyway, I did enjoy the IPA's that I've had in Carlsbad. My bud owns a place in the Village, so he knows all of the best places (and they know him). That was probably an advantage that most people don't have, so he chose all of the different IPA's and it was quite fun.

It didn't cause me to rush home and try IPA's from Costco or the grocery stores and I'm still not drinking beer in general, but it was a nice experience, nonetheless.

KCUnited 06-15-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12917810)

That was pretty much my experience with the IPAs in SD. There were SO many that I was having trouble differentiating one from the other. If you're ever near Petco, and haven't already been, Half Door Brewing was really cool. They converted a really old house into a brewery. They also have some east coast style IPAs on tap that are a little sweeter and less bitter than the west coast version.

Shag 06-15-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Crazy talk. Where did you go/what did you try?

Shag 06-15-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12917832)
That was pretty much my experience with the IPAs in SD. There were SO many that I was having trouble differentiating one from the other. If you're ever near Petco, and haven't already been, Half Door Brewing was really cool. They converted a really old house into a brewery. They also have some east coast style IPAs on tap that are a little sweeter and less bitter than the west coast version.

Half Door is awesome - really cool space. The west coast IPA originated in SD, and is a very hop-forward beer, typically with hop bitterness. The east coast IPA is a craze now, quite often hazy, and much more juice-like flavor with very little bitterness. The east cost variety is fairly recently big - will be interesting to see how it progresses.