ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV DC Comics "Suicide Squad" Cast Confirmed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=288881)

Just Passin' By 08-04-2016 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 12351977)
There is no way that Spiderman 3 is better than MOS or BVS. Spiderman 3 was so ****ing bad they had to reboot the franchise.

BvS is absolutely ****ing terrible. It's not quite Catwoman bad, but it's in that ballpark. Rating it above Spiderman 3 is insanity.

mnchiefsguy 08-04-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 12352001)
BvS is absolutely ****ing terrible. It's not quite Catwoman bad, but it's in that ballpark. Rating it above Spiderman 3 is insanity.

Spiderman 3 is Fantastic Four bad. It was so bad Toby Mcquire is still ****ing looking for work. It completed crippled the entire ****ing Spiderman franchise single handed. And BVS is not absolutely ****ing terrible.

Anyong Bluth 08-04-2016 08:43 PM

If spidey 3 is better than BvS in your opinion, we can't have this conversation.

ThaVirus 08-04-2016 08:46 PM

LOL People hated Peter Parker dancing but I loved that shit. Cracked me up.

Movie was bad though.

DaneMcCloud 08-04-2016 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12352074)
If spidey 3 is better than BvS in your opinion, we can't have this conversation.

UE smokes both Hulk films, both Thor films, the last two Iron Man films, Spidey 3, the rebooted Spidey and the first Avengers film.

Disney pays more to the critics than Warners.

Sure-Oz 08-04-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12352074)

Lol

Sure-Oz 08-04-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12352084)
UE smokes both Hulk films, both Thor films, the last two Iron Man films, Spidey 3, the rebooted Spidey and the first Avengers film.

Disney pays more to the critics than Warners.

I can agree with this...UE was good

pr_capone 08-04-2016 09:37 PM

Saw Suicide Squad tonight... I enjoyed myself.

Will Smith played Deadshot the same way he plays every action role he is in. Robbie is an amazing HQ. Leto's Joker actually works well with the tenor of the film.

The remaining villan/hero were all very cartoony. There were some plot holes you simply have to look past. The lighting in this movie in any night scene is borderline awful.

All in all... this was far more enjoyable than Bats v Sups

Tribal Warfare 08-04-2016 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12352195)
Saw Suicide Squad tonight... I enjoyed myself.

Will Smith played Deadshot the same way he plays every action role he is in. Robbie is an amazing HQ. Leto's Joker actually works well with the tenor of the film.

The remaining villan/hero were all very cartoony. There were some plot holes you simply have to look past. The lighting in this movie in any night scene is borderline awful.

All in all... this was far more enjoyable than Bats v Sups

Spoiler!

pr_capone 08-04-2016 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 12352223)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Anyong Bluth 08-04-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 12352223)
Spoiler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12352247)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

listopencil 08-04-2016 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12352338)
Spoiler!

I've known women like that.

thabear04 08-05-2016 12:37 AM

Nick Jacobs @Jacobs71
#SuicideSquad was underwhelming. I got bored after an hour. Luckily it didn't go much longer. Margot Robbie only thing going for that movie

RINGLEADER 08-05-2016 01:31 AM

Just got home from it. It was fine - nowhere near as bad as the 27% on Rotten Tomatoes, but outside of HQ and, to a lesser extent, the Joker, most of the other characters were forgettable. The DC supporting cast just isn't as strong as Marvel's, but HQ was just outstanding.

Rams Fan 08-05-2016 02:15 AM

Just saw it. It's way better than the 27% it has on Rotten Tomatoes. Had some beef with the plot, but the plot was coherent at least. Some characters felt rushed in(not to the extent of BvS).

This is an enjoyable movie and isn't too long on run time. I'm stunned with the rating it has on RT.

Sure-Oz 08-05-2016 07:59 AM

I'm sure there will be a big difference between the critics RT score and Audience

JD10367 08-05-2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 12351151)
Suicide Squad easily is as good as several Marvel Movies (better than say IM2 or IM3, Ultron, and Thor 2 for example).

This right here. After watching "Squad" the group of us all talking about how unrealistic people's rose-colored opinion of Marvel is. I still like the first "Iron Man" but "IM2" wasn't very good and "IM3" was a horrible shitshow of stupidity. The "Thor" films were mildly interesting to me but I can see why no one else liked them. Same goes for the "Hulk" films. "Avengers" was great, and I enjoyed "Civil War", but "Ultron" was a bit of a headscratcher. The bright spot for Marvel IMO are the Cap films (which I've loved) and the standalones "GotG" and even "Ant-Man", which was not amazing but was well-done and interesting enough. But people act like Marvel hits it out of the park 24/7, which is simply untrue.

JD10367 08-05-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12351840)
Awesome. Yes. Editors are rarely given the limelight or due credit. It's a perfect description of blending technical savvy, storytelling and gut instinct of someone who has a creative mind and eye for taking jumbled mess like a jigsaw puzzle.
The extraordinary ones can take the puzzle pieces of what was originally some boring picture, cut the pieces individually to refit them together and turn out a totally different, unique, and phenomenal picture unlike what was expected.

Ask Spielberg if he values his Editors. [emoji57]

I love the story about "Star Wars". On the first edit the screenings got horrible reviews. It was re-edited, IIRC, poolside by Lucas's wife and another dude (Richard Chew?). They went back to the footage and held everything for long shots, sometimes using every frame of negative (and sometimes running out... note the scene where the sandperson knocks Luke down and you can see them scrub the same image back and forth when he holds his staff over his head). They totally changed the flavor of the movie.

Red Brooklyn 08-05-2016 08:48 AM

I think I'm just going to hold out for the David Ayer cut of this before I see it.

Beef Supreme 08-05-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12351147)
Asking people what they want to see is the biggest mistake. Talent is talent, and should be visionary. It's a presentation of artistic achievement, and frankly, 90% of the public has either poor taste or no creative talent.

If you want want a say, go read a choose your own adventure book.

Homogenized film is terrible. Studio execs are rarely "talent"- especially these days.

There's a reason why Robert Evans was so successful as a studio head in what was the last golden era of film in Hollywood. It baffles me that more visionary talent isn't in place to head up exec decisions when it comes to final say when the studios wanna tinker with a movie.

Yep. Letting a bunch of executives make creative decisions is why a lot of stuff sucks. I know it happens a lot in advertising.

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 12352603)
I think I'm just going to hold out for the David Ayer cut of this before I see it.

Ayers has already stated that no other cut exists nor will he add a director's cut in the future.

Red Brooklyn 08-05-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12352630)
Ayers has already stated that no other cut exists nor will he add a director's cut in the future.

Really? That contradicts THR's story that very specifically mentioned 2 different cuts. So Ayer is denying that report?

I hadn't seen that.

Red Brooklyn 08-05-2016 09:38 AM

Blech. That's a bummer. Now I don't know what to do. :)

Tribal Warfare 08-05-2016 10:16 AM

I wonder if they're going to have Leto's Joker cut/ tear is face off then having it crudely grafted back on in the DCU.

Sure-Oz 08-05-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12352630)

Yeah he basically said this is his cut ...even if there is an original out there I doubt they release it. I'm hoping they add Joker's scenes as deleted scenes at minimum.

@BatmanNewsCom: I really liked #SuicideSquad! I think the general audience is going to love it. It's a ton of fun. Way funnier than I thought too!

Sure-Oz 08-05-2016 10:38 AM

I'm hoping to see SS Sunday...

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 12352662)
Really? That contradicts THR's story that very specifically mentioned 2 different cuts. So Ayer is denying that report?

I hadn't seen that.

http://collider.com/suicide-squad-de...to-david-ayer/

Indeed, Collider’s own Steve Weintraub recently spoke with writer/director David Ayer at the press day for Suicide Squad, and the filmmaker confirmed that there’s definitely going to be a fair amount of deleted scenes on the Blu-ray:

“We have a chunk, there’s definitely over 10 minutes of material on there. But this cut of the movie is my cut, there’s no sort of parallel universe version of the movie, the released movie is my cut. And that’s one of the toughest things about writing, shooting, and directing a film, is you end up with these orphans and you ****ing love them and you think they’d be amazing scenes and do these amazing things but the film is a dictatorship (laughs), not a democracy, and just because something’s cool and charismatic doesn’t mean it gets to survive in the final cut. The flow of the movie is the highest master.”

Red Brooklyn 08-05-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12352816)
http://collider.com/suicide-squad-de...to-david-ayer/

Indeed, Collider’s own Steve Weintraub recently spoke with writer/director David Ayer at the press day for Suicide Squad, and the filmmaker confirmed that there’s definitely going to be a fair amount of deleted scenes on the Blu-ray:

“We have a chunk, there’s definitely over 10 minutes of material on there. But this cut of the movie is my cut, there’s no sort of parallel universe version of the movie, the released movie is my cut. And that’s one of the toughest things about writing, shooting, and directing a film, is you end up with these orphans and you ****ing love them and you think they’d be amazing scenes and do these amazing things but the film is a dictatorship (laughs), not a democracy, and just because something’s cool and charismatic doesn’t mean it gets to survive in the final cut. The flow of the movie is the highest master.”

Thanks for posting that. I found it right after your other post earlier. I guess I'll see it. Probably wait until I can watch it at home, though.

Just Passin' By 08-05-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 12352030)
Spiderman 3 is Fantastic Four bad. It was so bad Toby Mcquire is still ****ing looking for work. It completed crippled the entire ****ing Spiderman franchise single handed. And BVS is not absolutely ****ing terrible.

You're delusional, and DC hopes there are a lot more of your kind.

mnchiefsguy 08-05-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 12353072)

I think you just hate DC, or have forgotten how bad Spiderman 3 was.

You are the delusional one if you are going to argue that Spiderman 3 is better than BVS, MOS, or SS.

mnchiefsguy 08-05-2016 12:42 PM

Off to a great start...Thursday night box office numbers were really good:

http://deadline.com/2016/08/suicide-...ie-1201799046/

Did 9 million more than GOTG did on its Thursday night.

Rams Fan 08-05-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

I'm curious as to why you think Spiderman 3>BvS.

Both movies share similarities in that they rushed in so many characters. BvS at least had a somewhat accurate depiction of Batman and Superman from the comics. The villains in BvS at least served a role and didn't re-write the origin stories for either Batman or Superman.

In Spiderman 3, Sandman ruined Spiderman's origin story by being the killer of Uncle Ben, which is not an accurate adaption from the comics in any way what so ever. Additionally, Sandman served 0 ****ing purpose in the movie. None.

keg in kc 08-05-2016 01:20 PM

Just saw it. I liked it, but a bit less than BvS. The pacing felt off the whole time. Too much meandering at the beginning establishing (some of...) the characters, too little time given for the climax and resolution. But it was in no way a bad movie in my opinion. The critic responses to these comic movies are really, really getting out of hand.

Rausch 08-05-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12353265)
Just saw it. I liked it, but a bit less than BvS.

Really?

I have no exposure to the comix. I'm going in raw.

That said I've got a 2-1 on the positive. And those were big DC fans. Why the hate?....

Anyong Bluth 08-05-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Are you a DC hater? You certainly seem to be riding Marvel's nuts pretty hard if you are will to take up for Hulk(s), Spidey 3, etc, while conveniently setting aside Nolan's DC stuff when mentioned as if it isn't part of DC? I forgot, who collaborated and was a producer on MoS?

I know the comics forums have their silly Marvel vs DC haters and fanbois, but I think CP has at least one?

Sure-Oz 08-05-2016 10:49 PM

Spiderman 3 was so awful

Pepe Silvia 08-05-2016 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 12354163)
Spiderman 3 was so awful

Indeed it was.

Just Passin' By 08-06-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 12353114)
I think you just hate DC, or have forgotten how bad Spiderman 3 was.

You are the delusional one if you are going to argue that Spiderman 3 is better than BVS, MOS, or SS.

I have absolutely nothing against DC. I just don't like most shitty movies. You seem to have no problem with shitty movies, which is fine. To each his own.

Just Passin' By 08-06-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12353460)
Are you a DC hater? You certainly seem to be riding Marvel's nuts pretty hard if you are will to take up for Hulk(s), Spidey 3, etc, while conveniently setting aside Nolan's DC stuff when mentioned as if it isn't part of DC? I forgot, who collaborated and was a producer on MoS?

I know the comics forums have their silly Marvel vs DC haters and fanbois, but I think CP has at least one?

I'm not riding Marvel's nuts at all. You can try to spin it that way if you wish, but the underlying reality is that I was noting comparative ratings by the reviewers as correlation to my takes, and you're the one who called Marvel's movies "consistently good". Example using Metacritic, instead of RT: Hulk 54, Spider Man 3 59, The Incredible Hulk 61, Suicide Squad 40 (so far), BvS 44, MOS 55. The only crossover is the weakest of the mentioned Marvels (Hulk) and the strongest of the DCs (MOS), and that's a 1 point difference, which is well within the range of bare success/near miss that I had mentioned.

And the Nolan movies are about as relevant to the re-set DC movies as the Punisher movies are to the MCU, which is why I haven't included them. They (Nolan's Batman movies) were excellent, by the way, but they come before the new era.

RobBlake 08-06-2016 01:44 PM

Suicide Squad was a good movie. All this hate is laughably sad. It's no genre beating movie, but it was better than Ant Man, iron Man 2+3 , all of thor, and Avengers 2.

RobBlake 08-06-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 12353179)
I'm curious as to why you think Spiderman 3>BvS.

Both movies share similarities in that they rushed in so many characters. BvS at least had a somewhat accurate depiction of Batman and Superman from the comics. The villains in BvS at least served a role and didn't re-write the origin stories for either Batman or Superman.

In Spiderman 3, Sandman ruined Spiderman's origin story by being the killer of Uncle Ben, which is not an accurate adaption from the comics in any way what so ever. Additionally, Sandman served 0 ****ing purpose in the movie. None.

BvS is in another league than S3

Just Passin' By 08-06-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 12354735)
Suicide Squad was a good movie. All this hate is laughably sad. It's no genre beating movie, but it was better than Ant Man, iron Man 2+3 , all of thor, and Avengers 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 12354744)
BvS is in another league than S3

This kind of comedy is what keeps me coming back to Chiefsplanet.

Fire Me Boy! 08-06-2016 03:14 PM

Watched BvS:UE this morning... kind of a shit show.

Mr. Plow 08-06-2016 04:16 PM

Saw this yesterday because my oldest wanted to see it. Wouldn't have went otherwise. It was ok. I don't feel robbed paying to see it, but it's not something I'll watch again.

RobBlake 08-06-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 12354831)
This kind of comedy is what keeps me coming back to Chiefsplanet.

so is comparing spiderman 3 to bvs.. just really bad judgment all around

listopencil 08-06-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12354833)
Watched BvS:UE this morning... kind of a shit show.

I finally got around to watching it today. I thought it was cringe-worthy. To be fair I don't like anything with Superman in it. I think he's a shitty character. I thought Ben Affleck's Batman was too much of a brick and not enough of a martial artist, and not especially intelligent. I enjoyed the Wonder Woman character in this movie. From this and what I've seen of the trailers I'll probably go see the stand alone WW movie. I'm not really interested in seeing Affleck play an angrier version George Clooney though and Superman still sucks.

listopencil 08-06-2016 07:40 PM

I saw Suicide Squad this weekend. It came across as just poorly put together and I think it wasted some good performances by the actors involved. I feel like it didn't do a good job of telling a very weak story. It was OK. The special effects were fun and some of the moments in the film were interesting.

Mr. Plow 08-06-2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12355152)
I saw Suicide Squad this weekend. It came across as just poorly put together and I think it wasted some good performances by the actors involved. I feel like it didn't do a good job of telling a very weak story. It was OK. The special effects were fun and some of the moments in the film were interesting.

That's exactly how i feel. I knew nothing about Suicide Squad going into the movie and i still feel like i know know next to nothing.

RINGLEADER 08-06-2016 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 12355163)
That's exactly how i feel. I knew nothing about Suicide Squad going into the movie and i still feel like i know know next to nothing.

Margot Robbie plays a great Harley Quinn. Will Smith isn't a very good actor. Beyond that, I agree that not much stuck.

Anyong Bluth 08-06-2016 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 12355163)

That's probably a fair assessment. A few of the characters people are familiar with, but a lot of them aren't. 98% of moviegoers knew nothing about GotG, but they managed to introduce the characters without even getting much into any of their backstories.

Granted, GotG sets a pretty high bar that I doubt the sequel will duplicate, but I'm so tired of every new character spending the first movie doing an origin story. Yes, Pratt's character had a pseudo origins background, but the film really just hit the ground running and didn't handhold throwing you into the entire universe of characters without a bunch of exposition.

Considering that 1 version of the film introduced almost all the characters right out of the gate, and Ayers' version introduced characters on a rolling basis, some even in the final 1/3 of the movie, it just seems like it would be impossible to marry the 2 versions and not end up with a mess.

listopencil 08-06-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12355373)
That's probably a fair assessment. A few of the characters people are familiar with, but a lot of them aren't. 98% of moviegoers knew nothing about GotG, but they managed to introduce the characters without even getting much into any of their backstories.

Granted, GotG sets a pretty high bar that I doubt the sequel will duplicate, but I'm so tired of every new character spending the first movie doing an origin story. Yes, Pratt's character had a pseudo origins background, but the film really just hit the ground running and didn't handhold throwing you into the entire universe of characters without a bunch of exposition.

Considering that 1 version of the film introduced almost all the characters right out of the gate, and Ayers' version introduced characters on a rolling basis, some even in the final 1/3 of the movie, it just seems like it would be impossible to marry the 2 versions and not end up with a mess.

I came away form the movie with the feeling that Margot Robbie is a good actress who was cut off at the knees in the editing room to make way for another 'everyman' performance by Will Smith.

listopencil 08-06-2016 10:51 PM

Maybe that's the problem with it. Harley Quinn should have been the star of this movie and Robbie had the chops to do it, but it wasn't allowed to happen.

DaneMcCloud 08-06-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12355378)
Maybe that's the problem with it. Harley Quinn should have been the star of this movie and Robbie had the chops to do it, but it wasn't allowed to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually "happened" but was chopped in editing.

Man, Warner's just doesn't get it.

DaneMcCloud 08-06-2016 11:18 PM

Things that are crazier than Jared Leto's Joker:

1. Trader Joe's parking lot in Silverlake

2. Animal style

3. A fart

4. Grand Rapids MI

Just Passin' By 08-06-2016 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 12355080)
so is comparing spiderman 3 to bvs.. just really bad judgment all around

Spiderman 3 ended up being rated higher than BvS on both RT and Metacritic.

listopencil 08-06-2016 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12355396)
Things that are crazier than Jared Leto's Joker:

1. Trader Joe's parking lot in Silverlake

2. Animal style

3. A fart

4. Grand Rapids MI

Damn. That would be funnier if it wasn't completely true.

-King- 08-07-2016 12:22 AM

Just got out of the theater. I liked it. Have no idea why it's so negative on RT.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King- 08-07-2016 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12355376)
I came away form the movie with the feeling that Margot Robbie is a good actress who was cut off at the knees in the editing room to make way for another 'everyman' performance by Will Smith.

They tried too hard with Quinn's character and the randomness and quirkiness was tiring toward the end. If they cut some off while editing, it was a good thing. Her character is one that's only good in small doses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By 08-07-2016 12:35 AM

Quote:

Suicide Squad, officially the third film in the DC Extended Universe, has finally opened in theaters, but the response is surely not what Warner Bros. was hoping for. Writer/director David Ayer’s villain-centric film has been a highly anticipated one for some time, and even in the wake of disappointment over Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad offered hope that Warner Bros. was going to release something refreshing and exciting for the DC library. The resulting film, unfortunately, is a messy, poorly edited, borderline incoherent superhero pic, and has netted a bevy of harshly negative reviews.

However, according to a story from THR, Suicide Squad may have been the victim of too much second-guessing and rejiggering in post-production, a result of a production that was rushed to begin with, racing towards a release date without a finished script. And as we’re now firmly into the DC Extended Universe without a critically acclaimed hit, it’s time to step back and assess the damage, and admit that Warner Bros. may have rushed into this thing without learning the most important lesson from its most successful DC adaptation: Christopher Nolan’s iconic Dark Knight Trilogy...
http://collider.com/suicide-squad-pr...y-warner-bros/

Anyong Bluth 08-07-2016 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 12355405)
Spiderman 3 ended up being rated higher than BvS on both RT and Metacritic.

Who cares? You keep referencing it as if either are gospel.

Back to the previous point about Marvel and DC being treated differently.

A list of stories from a very popular website.
Why are there stories being put out to assure people about the critics reviews?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...90f32484dc.jpg

The audience clearly disagrees with the critics even if the movie is just "ok", it certainly is not 26% worthy bad.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...211bf29832.jpg

I'll say it again, Marvel gets treated with kid gloves, and conversely DC catches a lot more scrutiny.

listopencil 08-07-2016 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12355444)

The audience clearly disagrees with the critics even if the movie is just "ok", it certainly is not 26% worthy bad.

I'll say it again, Marvel gets treated with kid gloves, and conversely DC catches a lot more scrutiny.

Because Marvel is better than DC? Batman is my homie but I'd give the overall nod to Marvel.

Anyong Bluth 08-07-2016 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12355449)
Because Marvel is better than DC? Batman is my homie but I'd give the overall nod to Marvel.

Marvel, and Disney, have their shit together because, in chief, they've wisely laid out a road map, and been given near autonomy. DC is foolishly trying to play catch up and as such in their rush to put down the broad strokes, they're overlooking the finer details.

First, there’s no race. DC is rushing to get comprable franchises up on screen. You can't shortcut over a decades worth of work to catch up. Instead of trying to rush to get even with Marvel, DC should have been pursuing to beat the pace time Marvel had set at each leg of building up the MCU.

Keeping with the subject of time. It's still temporary. Marvel is going to hit rough stretches and new leadership and creative talent doesn't come with a guarantee of repeated past success.

That's what I mean by neither Marvel or DC is better or worse. This isn't Coke vs RC. They have equal footing even if currently Marvel is in bloom. DC has to deal with WB, and maybe the new management is already addressing it? Otherwise, WB seems to be telling DC to stick with "New" Coke when Classic is the right play.

Historically speaking, DC has the the biggest iconic characters, and they've managed to bring most of them to the screen with 2 left feet.

listopencil 08-07-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12355496)
Marvel, and Disney, have their shit together because, in chief, they've wisely laid out a road map, and been given near autonomy. DC is foolishly trying to play catch up and as such in their rush to put down the broad strokes, they're overlooking the finer details.

First, there’s no race. DC is rushing to get comprable franchises up on screen. You can't shortcut over a decades worth of work to catch up. Instead of trying to rush to get even with Marvel, DC should have been pursuing to beat the pace time Marvel had set at each leg of building up the MCU.

Keeping with the subject of time. It's still temporary. Marvel is going to hit rough stretches and new leadership and creative talent doesn't come with a guarantee of repeated past success.

That's what I mean by neither Marvel or DC is better or worse. This isn't Coke vs RC. They have equal footing even if currently Marvel is in bloom. DC has to deal with WB, and maybe the new management is already addressing it? Otherwise, WB seems to be telling DC to stick with "New" Coke when Classic is the right play.

Historically speaking, DC has the the biggest iconic characters, and they've managed to bring most of them to the screen with 2 left feet.

I was taking a glance at which characters fall into which universe last night. I did it because I never followed these guys with any depth. TBH-I'm really not a comic book hero guy at all. I read Mad, Cracked, and Peanuts collections as a kid. My two favorite comic book heroes are Batman and Wolverine. So...looking at a list of each set of super heroes, the Marvel universe characters have more appeal to me. I would expect the Marvel movies to be better than the DC movies.

Al Bundy 08-07-2016 09:57 AM

Overall Marvel is stronger, but DC has put out the best 2 superhero movies of all time.

Anyong Bluth 08-07-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12355509)
I was taking a glance at which characters fall into which universe last night. I did it because I never followed these guys with any depth. TBH-I'm really not a comic book hero guy at all. I read Mad, Cracked, and Peanuts collections as a kid. My two favorite comic book heroes are Batman and Wolverine. So...looking at a list of each set of super heroes, the Marvel universe characters have more appeal to me. I would expect the Marvel movies to be better than the DC movies.

Growing up, loved me some MAD magazine, Cracked (though distant 2nd compared to MAD), and The Far Side. Toss in a side of Calvin and Hobbes.

Anyong Bluth 08-07-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 12355594)
Overall Marvel is stronger, but DC has put out the best 2 superhero movies of all time.

Yep, and Marvel did a masterful job of road mapping a MCU franchise. DC seems to be slapping together the Batman, Supes, WW, etc franchises in an attempt to make a copy "DCU franchise" and because they are treating each character as a franchise in and of itself, it’s disjointed because MCU works with a coordinated narrative regardless of what stand alone property they are working with.

DCs franchises have always operated in a vacuum, and they really haven't figured out how to meld them and crossover on screen. Gotham is Gotham, Metropolis is Metropolis, and never the two shall meet has been how DC and WB have always treated those properties in film.

The JL always sort of operated as a coexisting alternative scenario; playing with the idea of "what if all these guys teamed up", and there was never really much cohesion with their solo storyline narratives.

Just Passin' By 08-07-2016 11:16 AM

Quote:

I've done no such thing. I made a simple point, and people like you decided to jump on it with really stupid responses.

Quote:

Look at your own arguments about quality, instead of hunting for conspiracies. You say that the Marvel movies are consistently good, then you insist that Marvel's getting a tongue bath, despite several of their movies getting very low end 'good' results.

And, seriously, looking at audience score, especially in the first week of a hyped fan boy movie? You know better than that.

DaneMcCloud 08-07-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12355496)
Marvel, and Disney, have their shit together because, in chief, they've wisely laid out a road map, and been given near autonomy.

But let's not forgot that it took Marvel nearly a decade to even get rolling. The Hulk movies were awful. X-Men (Fox) and Spider-Man 1&2 (Sony) were far better than anything produced by Marvel until Iron Man, which IMO, doesn't hold up well.

Both Thor films, IM 2&3 and the first Captain America don't hold up well at all, IMO.

Rams Fan 08-07-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12355696)
But let's not forgot that it took Marvel nearly a decade to even get rolling. The Hulk movies were awful. X-Men (Fox) and Spider-Man 1&2 (Sony) were far better than anything produced by Marvel until Iron Man, which IMO, doesn't hold up well.

Both Thor films, IM 2&3 and the first Captain America don't hold up well at all, IMO.

I think people forget how Spider-Man 1 and 2 were due to how shitty 3 was.

Spider-Man 2 was fantastic.

ThaVirus 08-07-2016 02:14 PM

DC Comics "Suicide Squad" Cast Confirmed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 12355729)
Spider-Man 2 was fantastic.

Truth here.

KC_Lee 08-07-2016 03:17 PM

Just saw SS today. Good movie, not great, but good. Leto's Joker reminds me of a more psychotic version from Batman The Animated Series.

Sure-Oz 08-07-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 12356073)
Just saw SS today. Good movie, not great, but good. Leto's Joker reminds me of a more psychotic version from Batman The Animated Series.

Agree with this...plot was light...editing got right into the movie fast. I really enjoyed the squad themselves though. Not enough Joker to form a major opinion. I think there is a future for this team...but needs a better plot/villain. I'll see it again...it was fun. 8/10 for me

Music was fantastic...also there is a cool mid movie scene and after credit scene.

-King- 08-07-2016 06:03 PM

It's hilarious Leto did so much method acting and stupid shit for 20 minutes of screen time.
Posted via Mobile Device

listopencil 08-07-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 12356464)
It's hilarious Leto did so much method acting and stupid shit for 20 minutes of screen time.
Posted via Mobile Device

He's working on the big Legion Of Doom tentpole for 2018.

listopencil 08-07-2016 06:42 PM

Oh shit, I was just joking about that, but I was looking for something on the internet and I found a leaked trailer for the DC group-up movie. I'll put it in spoiler tags. I don't know how long it's going to be up:

Spoiler!

Sure-Oz 08-07-2016 09:03 PM

https://youtu.be/26vgMGS3INA

I def agree with Angry Joe...he didn't care much for bvs previously but liked Suicide Squad.

Jeremy Jahns also liked it which was unexpected

Sure-Oz 08-07-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12356522)
He's working on the big Legion Of Doom tentpole for 2018.

I'm hoping we see him more in the Batman stand alone...

Bowser 08-08-2016 10:54 AM

It was good, not great. Felt "disjointed" to me, way too clunky in some sense. Loved the visuals, loved Harley and Deadshot, and I thought Amanda Waller was spot on of her portrayal from the animated series.

Again, I get the feeling that DC is trying way too hard to catch Marvel. The soundtrack alone, although good, just felt like they were trying to steal from GotG's success.

Anyong Bluth 08-08-2016 09:11 PM

Confirmed what we already pretty much already knew.

‘Suicide Squad’ Star Jared Leto Says There’s Enough Cut Joker Footage for Standalone Movie

http://www.thewrap.com/suicide-squad...e-warner-bros/

Sure-Oz 08-08-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12358337)
Confirmed what we already pretty much already knew.

‘Suicide Squad’ Star Jared Leto Says There’s Enough Cut Joker Footage for Standalone Movie

http://www.thewrap.com/suicide-squad...e-warner-bros/

Geoff Johns wasn't involved I'm hoping WW is the first to get that critical acclaim...I feel like they need to have an extended cut or add these as deleted scenes.

DC really needs a good reviewed film...I'm hoping SS still gets the $$$ cause it was good, even if the plot could've been better.