ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Ed Harris takes Top villain role in HBOs "Westworld" reboot (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285622)

RINGLEADER 11-02-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 12524620)
If Harris in an android, he'd have to be pretty special because the bullets bounce off of him.

Robot bullets bounce off. And we've already established that the robots treat Anthony Hopkins like he is special.

listopencil 11-03-2016 02:01 AM

Meh. The more videos I watch of people explaining the multiple timelines theory the less believable it becomes.

Silock 11-03-2016 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 12525086)
Robot bullets bounce off. And we've already established that the robots treat Anthony Hopkins like he is special.

But Anthony Hopkins isn't a robot.

frankotank 11-03-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12520594)
It would be cool if Dolores is actually Yul Brenner's character from the movie.

I figured this would be exactly how it'd end up after the first few episodes....now I'm sure of it!

they kinda tricked you with Ed Harris...but he's human.

BWillie 11-03-2016 03:17 PM

I absolutely love this show, but I want to continue to be surprised. I had no idea this was a reboot until I read this thread a week ago. I have never heard of the original movie. Should I watch it or will that ruin anything for me?

Deberg_1990 11-03-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12527252)
I absolutely love this show, but I want to continue to be surprised. I had no idea this was a reboot until I read this thread a week ago. I have never heard of the original movie. Should I watch it or will that ruin anything for me?

The original is a bit of 70s cheese now, but you should watch. It wouldn't ruin anything from the series. The series is a lot different other than the basic premise

Yul Brenner makes quite a menacing and creepy robot gone haywire

listopencil 11-03-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12527252)

You should definitely watch the original movie. It won't ruin anything. I am hoping that the insurrection referenced in the TV show is actually based on the events of that movie. But only the first movie, the second one was garbage.

Deberg_1990 11-03-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12527303)
You should definitely watch the original movie. It won't ruin anything. I am hoping that the insurrection referenced in the TV show is actually based on the events of that movie. But only the first movie, the second one was garbage.

The 2nd movie? Futureworld?

listopencil 11-03-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12527317)
The 2nd movie? Futureworld?

Yeah. I think so. That was horrible.

Deberg_1990 11-03-2016 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12527320)
Yeah. I think so. That was horrible.

It's been a while since I've seen that one but your probably right

Michael Crichton wrote and directed the original I doubt he was involved with that one.

listopencil 11-03-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12527332)
It's been a while since I've seen that one but your probably right

Michael Crichton wrote and directed the original I doubt he was involved with that one.

Yeah:

Futureworld is a 1976 American science fiction thriller film directed by Richard T. Heffron and written by Mayo Simon and George Schenck. It is a sequel to the 1973 Michael Crichton film Westworld. The second installment in the Westworld film series. The sequel stars Peter Fonda, Blythe Danner, Arthur Hill, Stuart Margolin, John Ryan, and Yul Brynner, who makes a cameo appearance in a dream sequence. Other than Brynner, none of the cast members from the original film appear, and original writer-director Crichton was not involved

I watched Westworld on TV as a kid several times and I was excited when Futureworld popped up a bit later...but I don't think I even watched the entire thing. It was such crap.

listopencil 11-03-2016 07:58 PM

Here is something kind of fun from the wiki page on the original Westworld movie:

The technicians running Delos notice problems beginning to spread like an infection among the androids: the robots in Roman World and Medieval World begin experiencing an increasing number of breakdowns and systemic failures, which are said to have spread to West World. When one of the supervising computer scientists scoffs at the "analogy of an infectious disease," he is told by the Chief Supervisor (Alan Oppenheimer), "We aren't dealing with ordinary machines here. These are highly complicated pieces of equipment, almost as complicated as living organisms. In some cases, they've been designed by other computers. We don't know exactly how they work."

Silock 11-03-2016 09:18 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4kSGkGKwp9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KChiefs1 11-03-2016 10:54 PM

https://youtu.be/n_GxaHihdZU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KChiefs1 11-04-2016 09:36 PM

Here's a very long recap of it...

https://youtu.be/HYhL0E0Wg2U

listopencil 11-05-2016 06:30 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1XTt2M7V7AE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BWillie 11-06-2016 05:53 AM

Im pretty sure the actor Jimmi Simpsons character is just the younger version of the man in black. I also dont think he raped her in the 1st episode in the barn but he us a little jaded & gives less f**** about short term violence. Hes looking at the overall goal & may even end up as a protagonist. I think he told her something that will be revealed later when they were in the barn that activated something. Pretty sure we will see alternate timelines

Buck 11-06-2016 11:47 AM

I'm just happy it's back on tonight. I hadn't watched it at all until last week, so this was the first time I had to wait a week in between shows. It was awful.

listopencil 11-06-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12530781)
Im pretty sure the actor Jimmi Simpsons character is just the younger version of the man in black. I also dont think he raped her in the 1st episode in the barn but he us a little jaded & gives less f**** about short term violence. Hes looking at the overall goal & may even end up as a protagonist. I think he told her something that will be revealed later when they were in the barn that activated something. Pretty sure we will see alternate timelines

For those who believe in alternate timelines, how do you explain that the hosts (Dolores for instance) appear to be at the same level of technology 30 years apart for that to be true? Not just the gears versus guts but even the level of AI?

listopencil 11-06-2016 01:11 PM

The one thing that came to my mind would be that the 'past' storyline is actually just Dolores recalling events to Ford and Bernard at some point in the 'present' after a psychotic break/major plot event/unavoidable question of sentience. So if Dolores is being held under a sort of house arrest while they figure out what to do with her, and the 'past' storylines are just her interpretations of events, then the story could be distorted because they are being told from her point of view. Other than that I still don't buy the multiple timelines.

hometeam 11-06-2016 09:14 PM

Aww shit sons its goin down

Bowser 11-06-2016 10:51 PM

I now officially look forward to this show more so than I do Walking Dead.

This was a great episode. Getting closer to figuring out what the hell is really going on here.

listopencil 11-06-2016 11:03 PM

Just started watching it. At the 07:04 mark The Gunslinger (Yul Brynner) is standing against the wall, visible past Bernard's right shoulder.

Bowser 11-06-2016 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12535726)
Just started watching it. At the 07:04 mark The Gunslinger (Yul Brynner) is standing against the wall, visible past Bernard's right shoulder.

Damn, nice catch

listopencil 11-06-2016 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 12535327)
Aww shit sons its goin down

I'm about 45 mins into it. Wow, lol, shit just got real. Also: Ford and Bernard just confirmed that 'first generation' hosts are potentially not substantially different from hosts in the 'present'. Unless first generation hosts existing in the 'present' are dramatically more complex due to hardware/software/firmware/wetware improvements over the years, this makes the multiple timelines theory more possible. I still don't like it because that's a cheap storytelling trick.

listopencil 11-06-2016 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12535801)
Damn, nice catch

That's also possibly a model of Dolores' head in the glass cabinet in Ford's office. All the way to the left over his right shoulder.

listopencil 11-06-2016 11:53 PM

It's in the scene where Ford is looking at the notebook and sees drawings of Dolores, the maze, and the device for creating hosts.

RINGLEADER 11-07-2016 12:55 AM

Quote:

I was wondering if that was him!

listopencil 11-07-2016 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 12535853)
I was wondering if that was him!

Here's really shitty pic of 07:04 with just the figure:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...Gunslinger.jpg

listopencil 11-07-2016 03:29 AM

Here's the classic stance:

http://afflictor.com/wp-content/uplo...tworld556.jpeg

listopencil 11-07-2016 03:46 AM

Also: I'm not sure if the 'Wyatt' events really happened or if they are just created memories for Teddy and the other hosts. It would be the same either way but Ed Harris seems to have no knowledge of those events at all-and he would if it was a story that was ever actually played out at some point.

Bowser 11-07-2016 11:47 AM

I feel like I need to watch last night's episode again, like there was a metric ****ton of shit revealed but not noticed....

listopencil 11-07-2016 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12536402)
I feel like I need to watch last night's episode again, like there was a metric ****ton of shit revealed but not noticed....

I have been watching the review videos on YouTube through the week after the episode sinks in and I start getting antsy for the next one. There are some decent ones out there.

listopencil 11-07-2016 01:04 PM

After last night the thought kept sticking in my head that Arnold achieved sentient AI through transfer of consciousness but (some major plot point) caused him to inhabit the computer systems of the park rather than a host.

Buck 11-07-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12535882)
Also: I'm not sure if the 'Wyatt' events really happened or if they are just created memories for Teddy and the other hosts. It would be the same either way but Ed Harris seems to have no knowledge of those events at all-and he would if it was a story that was ever actually played out at some point.

They never happened. Ford just created that storyline.

listopencil 11-07-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12536604)
They never happened. Ford just created that storyline.

That was my impression. And the story could be easily implanted in other hosts so that they had the right reaction to him. But it has me wondering if it really did play out, or if it was based on an incident that actually happened.

listopencil 11-07-2016 02:02 PM

It could just be a plot device to foreshadow exactly how badly you can mess up when playing with the hosts settings, leading in to Maeve being reprogrammed at the end of the episode.

KC_Lee 11-07-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12536574)
After last night the thought kept sticking in my head that Arnold achieved sentient AI through transfer of consciousness but (some major plot point) caused him to inhabit the computer systems of the park rather than a host.

Are we 100% sure that Arnold is really dead? Other then the story from Anthony Hopkins saying he died at the park under mysterious circumstances nobody has mentioned Arnold.

What if he is still alive in the park?

listopencil 11-07-2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 12536744)
Are we 100% sure that Arnold is really dead? Other then the story from Anthony Hopkins saying he died at the park under mysterious circumstances nobody has mentioned Arnold.

What if he is still alive in the park?

It's possible. That could have been Arnold grabbing what's her name at the end of the episode, living as a hermit in some secluded area of the park. But nobody mentions him because the event (whatever it was) was a PR nightmare.The company scrubbed his existence. I like to think it was the breakdown from the movie-this universe's version of it.

BWillie 11-07-2016 02:48 PM

Maeve is going to be one bad ass conniving robot. Lowered loyalty, 100 intelligence when shew as 14 before.

listopencil 11-07-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12536859)
Maeve is going to be one bad ass conniving robot. Lowered loyalty, 100 intelligence when shew as 14 before.

It's a 20 point scale:

https://i.redditmedia.com/2Mtne8_z9-...Vc.png?w=1024&

listopencil 11-07-2016 02:57 PM

The pic I linked from Reddit isn't showing up so I hosted it on Photobucket. Here is a pic of Maeve's settings from a screen capture of the scene in the episode:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...%20Capture.png

listopencil 11-07-2016 04:03 PM

Here's a screencap of the picture of Ford and Arnold as seen by Bernard:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...vi8kjuqi9y.png

Here's a screencap of the host portraying Ford's father:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...qzjpgxxwwk.png

I just saw a piece on Deadspin (yes I know they suck) and noticed that Ford now dresses similarly to Arnold's style, and that Arnold's sweater vest in the picture looks like the one that android Dad is wearing. Here's what Deadspin said:

This week’s theory that’s sending the internet into a tailspin is that the actor playing Ford’s robot father looks a lot like Arnold in the photo Ford showed Bernard in episode three. We all assumed the younger one is Ford, because otherwise he’s aged really well. But if this is accurate, was Arnold Ford’s dad? That definitely would explain why Arnold’s version of his family was so idealized. And also, possibly, who took Elsie. Plus, it would make sense, narratively, for this whole thing to have started as a family business. There’s also the possibility that Bernard isn’t seeing the photo properly because he is a host. If he’s the Arnold copy, the photo wouldn’t show him as himself. We know that photos that disrupt the hosts’ belief in their world don’t appear weird to them. On the one hand, it’s seeming likely that there’s something off about Arnold and Ford’s dad. On the other hand, what the ****?

burt 11-07-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12493428)
Spoiler!

damn

KChiefs1 11-07-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Yeah I noticed that too.

Recap:
https://youtu.be/zmuqXcQM00s

listopencil 11-07-2016 11:25 PM

We get another trip down into the deepest levels of Westworld. I’m assuming that was mock-up of Yul Brynner from the Westworld film Bernard saw in the background?

Jonathan Nolan: It was indeed. It was a little tip of the hat. We didn’t want to feature it too heavily, we don’t want you reading too much into that.

Right. Because you’ve previously said the film’s events did not literally happen in your story.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/06...sary-interview

kcfanXIII 11-08-2016 02:53 AM

Just finished the first episode. I'm in. Makes me want to play Red Dead though.

KChiefs1 11-08-2016 07:33 AM

What is the maze?

https://youtu.be/1XTt2M7V7AE

listopencil 11-08-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12530127)
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1XTt2M7V7AE" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12538265)

Here, I embedded it for you.

frankotank 11-08-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12535880)
Here's really shitty pic of 07:04 with just the figure:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...Gunslinger.jpg

Yeah I kinda hollered when I saw that like YEAH!

What cracked me up in the original movie is he NEVER runs. Just walks. Both thumbs hooked in his belt all Al Bundy style. and no matter how fast that dude runs....Yule catches up. :D

This show is SO damn GOOD! I am nerd boy familiar with the original movie and I couldn't see how they'd take that story and be able to turn it into a sustainable series. man....well done!

frankotank 11-08-2016 01:37 PM

I thought Dolores was gonna take the Man In Black role...but Maeve now seems to be the front runner ....and then theres the deal with seeing the REAL Man In Black. hahaha

listopencil 11-08-2016 03:58 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pvLoheKYmLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

unlurking 11-08-2016 04:42 PM

"although if they wanted to"

ROFL

listopencil 11-08-2016 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 12538945)
I thought Dolores was gonna take the Man In Black role...but Maeve now seems to be the front runner ....and then there's the deal with seeing the REAL Man In Black. hahaha

I was holding out hope that one of them (would be cool if it was Dolores) was Yul Brynner from the movie but...that dream is dead.

KC_Lee 11-08-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12539657)
I was holding out hope that one of them (would be cool if it was Dolores) was Yul Brynner from the movie but...that dream is dead.

What if not in body but "spirit"? What if Dolores' primary code base, for lack of a better term, is a copy of Yul Brynner's from the movie?

Yeah I know a real stretch...

listopencil 11-09-2016 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 12539819)
What if not in body but "spirit"? What if Dolores' primary code base, for lack of a better term, is a copy of Yul Brynner's from the movie?

Yeah I know a real stretch...

I don't think they are going to allow the two stories (TV and movie) to be connected even that much. In an interview one of the guys said that the movie didn't 'literally' happen within the universe of the TV show.

BWillie 11-11-2016 12:45 AM

Just saw the 1973 movie. Holy shit that was god awful. Very weak plot. New Westworld is eons better

listopencil 11-11-2016 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12546599)
Just saw the 1973 movie. Holy shit that was god awful. Very weak plot. New Westworld is eons better

It's a Sci-Fi movie that's almost 45 years old.

frankotank 11-11-2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12539657)

no way dude!
SOMEONE is gonna start ****ing people up!
delores....maeve....somebody gonna start laying down the hurt....all YB style.

sure it ain't gonna be Yul...but it'll be a badass character like him.....AND....I'm thinking after last episode that eventually we WILL see a CGI Yul Brenner man in black cameo....

PS - the delores scene where she shot those dudes....YB style...I think she'll be the one.

listopencil 11-12-2016 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 12548046)
no way dude!
SOMEONE is gonna start ****ing people up!
delores....maeve....somebody gonna start laying down the hurt....all YB style.

sure it ain't gonna be Yul...but it'll be a badass character like him.....AND....I'm thinking after last episode that eventually we WILL see a CGI Yul Brenner man in black cameo....

PS - the delores scene where she shot those dudes....YB style...I think she'll be the one.

I think Dolores is more likely to go all berserker killing spree, but Maeve is more likely to be able really **** shit up. Still-wouldn't it be great to see Dolores don an outfit like The Gunslinger and take on his mannerisms if she does go on a spree?

KC_Lee 11-12-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12548251)
I think Dolores is more likely to go all berserker killing spree, but Maeve is more likely to be able really **** shit up. Still-wouldn't it be great to see Dolores don an outfit like The Gunslinger and take on his mannerisms if she does go on a spree?

What if Maeve is the brains and Dolores is the brawn? That would be a cool plot line.

Discuss Thrower 11-12-2016 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12539288)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pvLoheKYmLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Would

Bowser 11-12-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12548251)

What about whore #2, Maeve's buddy? I thought I saw some preview where she was ****ing up some futuretechs with some serious Aikido type shit....

Bowser 11-12-2016 02:02 PM

http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/WCc...eBC8t4duGS.jpg

Discuss Thrower 11-12-2016 03:23 PM

I would genocide her Armenian ass.

listopencil 11-12-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12548686)
What about whore #2, Maeve's buddy? I thought I saw some preview where she was ****ing up some futuretechs with some serious Aikido type shit....

I did see that preview. I'm wondering if Maeve gets control of one of the tech's input devices and starts reprogramming hosts.

BWillie 11-12-2016 05:51 PM

So I read something that indicated Westworld hasn't yet been renewed for Season 2. And there may be issues w/ how expensive the show is to produce. That would realllly suck if this didn't get at least 4 seasons.

Miles 11-13-2016 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12548895)
So I read something that indicated Westworld hasn't yet been renewed for Season 2. And there may be issues w/ how expensive the show is to produce. That would realllly suck if this didn't get at least 4 seasons.

I hadn't even considered that a possibility since it seems very well received and how good it is. Probably my favorite new series in a while among so really good ones. This seems to be the quote from the HBO exec driving the recent stuff:

“Which seem to be doing very well, so we’re happy with that. [The executive producers are] going to talk to us about what they envision a second season being. But right now I would say it’s looking really good. We’re very pleased with how it’s doing.”

manchambo 11-13-2016 08:28 PM

Ford said in the first episode that all diseases have been cured. Tonight we learned that Bernard's son died of a disease at a time Bernard looked exactly as he does now.

More evidence of divergent timelines/Bernard being a host of some sort.

KChiefs1 11-13-2016 09:56 PM

Tonight's episode was amazing.

hometeam 11-13-2016 10:20 PM

I ****IN KNEW IT

listopencil 11-13-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchambo (Post 12553442)
Ford said in the first episode that all diseases have been cured. Tonight we learned that Bernard's son died of a disease at a time Bernard looked exactly as he does now.

More evidence of divergent timelines/Bernard being a host of some sort.

lol

listopencil 11-13-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 12553726)
I ****IN KNEW IT

Yeah. When he said 'What door?' the cat was out of the bag.

listopencil 11-13-2016 11:52 PM

Up until now I had assumed that the host's brain was mechanical in nature. Or perhaps I should say electronic. But giving a host an actual lobotomy kind of implies to me that I underestimated the complexity of the fabrication process. I'm leaning more and more towards transfer of consciousness as the secret motive of Delos.

Discuss Thrower 11-14-2016 12:08 AM

There will be a blood sacrifice if this ****ing show doesn't merit a renewal. Holy shit.

KChiefs1 11-14-2016 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12553888)
Yeah. When he said 'What door?' the cat was out of the bag.

Yeah that did it for me too.

Buck 11-14-2016 12:33 AM

Awesome episode! When Bernard asked, "what door?" I nearly lost my shit.

I wonder if Ford is 3D printing a replacement Theresa in the basement.

Buck 11-14-2016 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12553961)
Up until now I had assumed that the host's brain was mechanical in nature. Or perhaps I should say electronic. But giving a host an actual lobotomy kind of implies to me that I underestimated the complexity of the fabrication process. I'm leaning more and more towards transfer of consciousness as the secret motive of Delos.

Oh shit I never thought of that. Good theory.

KChiefs1 11-14-2016 12:40 AM

Where's Elsie?

Clyde Frog 11-14-2016 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 12554005)
Awesome episode! When Bernard asked, "what door?" I nearly lost my shit.

I wonder if Ford is 3D printing a replacement Theresa in the basement.

This 100%