ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Billy Butler Hate Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282978)

KcMizzou 07-26-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10768272)
"Is billy starting tomorrow?"

-naw. (Ned last night)

I changed my mind, **** off. /Yost

gblowfish 07-26-2014 07:06 PM

I may have to rub my social sirloin with "Hit it a Ton" sauce....

TLO 08-08-2014 06:40 PM

Dale Saveum fixed Billy!

lewdog 08-08-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10804195)
Dale Saveum fixed Billy!

Eric Hosmer fixed Belly. Get it right n00b.

Great Expectations 08-08-2014 08:54 PM

3 ribbies

C3HIEF3S 08-08-2014 09:24 PM

But I was such a troll for bumping this originally.
He has been solid for us since he hit that absolute moonshot to the Royals HoF.

C3HIEF3S 08-08-2014 09:26 PM

Let us reminisce.
<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=34812593&topic_id=11493214&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Hootie 08-08-2014 09:37 PM

he can make me eat a lot of crow if he carries this team to the postseason

Gonzo 08-08-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 10804768)
he can make me eat a lot of crow if he carries this team to the postseason

This. The fat bastard is getting hot when it counts. I'm about to be an billay-ever.

Sure-Oz 08-08-2014 10:21 PM

Billy had to hit for this team do something....i'm sure hosmer is hating every second of his success

Prison Bitch 08-08-2014 10:25 PM

Butler is a -0.4 WAR or worse than a replacement level player and is worth -$2.2M this season so no- nobody is eating any crow criticizing him. It's nice he's been good for a couple weeks but if he'd done anything earlier we'd be tied for the division lead.

Gonzo 08-08-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10804838)
Butler is a -0.4 WAR or worse than a replacement level player and is worth -$2.2M this season so no- nobody is eating any crow criticizing him. It's nice he's been good for a couple weeks but if he'd done anything earlier we'd be tied for the division lead.

Hello? Are you looking for a glass that's half-empty?
I think I found one. Stand by Debbie.

suzzer99 08-08-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 10804750)
Let us reminisce.
<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=34812593&topic_id=11493214&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Man it's nice to hear Denny making a home run call in the second half of the season when the Royals are still relevant.

I don't think anyone who grew up past the age of baseball on the radio can understand the magical way that your imagination would draw the game for you through an announcer's words. I will never forget laying on my floor in the dark, late on some summer night, listening to Denny Matthews, Danny Trease or Fred White calling a big Royals home game late in a pennant race.

Deberg_1990 08-08-2014 11:55 PM

This is the Butler who should have shown up all season long.

I have no idea what he's done to turn it around, but I hope he keeps it up. We have no chance if he doesn't stay hot.

Valiant 08-09-2014 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10804912)
This is the Butler who should have shown up all season long.

I have no idea what he's done to turn it around, but I hope he keeps it up. We have no chance if he doesn't stay hot.

Maybe the pitchers had a talk with him..

Mav 08-09-2014 02:05 AM

I now hate butler too.

Signed, giants fans

CoMoChief 08-09-2014 05:33 AM

Maybe he is actually playing better because he's actually out in the field.

I can see how sitting in a dugout not doing anything for long periods of time but thinking about how you keep sucking and slumping can drain you mentally. These other guys can strike out or GIDP and then go back onto the field and have a chance to make a good play to erase the bad memories. It's natural. Some are more stronger minded and can block that shit out better than others. I remember a few years ago when David Ortiz was really slumping bad in BOS. Then during mid season they started playing interleague play and BOS put him at 1B and he started climbing out of his slump and started playing/hitting really well. People on the field feel as if they're having more impact on the game, because they do. Butler on the other hand, when he sucks, he sits back down in the dugout with the coaches when the players go back onto the field. That has to suck, regardless of what level you play at.

I was one of the hardest Butler critics. But he's a major reason why this team is playing as well as it is collectively, despite Butlers lack of athleticsm/range which leads to his defensive woes at times. I just hope he can maintain this surge, or is it going to die off whenever he goes back to DH??? (God i ****in hope not). What is Yost going to do when Hosmer comes back? You absolutely have to have him on the field for this playoff chase. We need the best defense we can get. But if Butler is going to continue this surge because he's playing on the field getting more loose, calm and involved w/ the game, is that better for the team as a whole? Should Yost consider putting Hosmer at DH while his injury continues to heal???

I mean it sucks but this is supposed to be the Billy Butler we've been meaning to see all season. He should have taken the next step after that 2012 season but he just hasn't. Maybe moving him to DH was a bad move in hindsight. What should happen if he continues to play well?

WilliamTheIrish 08-09-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10804972)
Maybe he is actually playing better because he's actually out in the field. .....

No.

He always hit well as a DH until these last two seasons. In the year he hit 29 HR's, he played about 10 games at 1B.

lewdog 08-09-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 10804999)
No.

He always hit well as a DH until these last two seasons. In the year he hit 29 HR's, he played about 10 games at 1B.

This

It's a coincidence that Billy got hot when playing the field. In his good years, he rarely played the field.

Mr. Laz 08-09-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10805006)
This

It's a coincidence that Billy got hot when playing the field. In his good years, he rarely played the field.

but maybe playing in the field got/kept his mind off his slump

sometimes any change at all will switch things up and break a string

He not just sitting there in the dugout thinking about his next at bat while the team is in the field.

maybe .....

CoMoChief 08-09-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10805074)
but maybe playing in the field got/kept his mind off his slump

sometimes any change at all will switch things up and break a string

He not just sitting there in the dugout thinking about his next at bat while the team is in the field.

maybe .....

It makes for Butler to be a weak minded person. But I think this actually may be the case. Bottom line is, the Royals absolutely can't afford to have Butler going back to how he was before this most recent surge at the plate.

Which begs the question. If Butler is indeed playing better because he's out on the field not thinking about his past/next plate appearances and overthinking at the plate, and then having it end up being counter-productive, then would it be wise to let things be the way they are, let Hosmer DH while his injury fully heals and ease him back into things? And to be honest, Hosmer has been kind of a disappointment this season as well. It's a valid yet out of the box kind of scenario that Yost may have to consider. Royals certainly do need Hosmer's defense at 1B, but they need Butler's hot bat even more...MUCH more.

Mr. Laz 08-09-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10805087)
It makes for Butler to be a weak minded person. But I think this actually may be the case. Bottom line is, the Royals absolutely can't afford to have Butler going back to how he was before this most recent surge at the plate.

Which begs the question. If Butler is indeed playing better because he's out on the field not thinking about his past/next plate appearances and overthinking at the plate, and then having it end up being counter-productive, then would it be wise to let things be the way they are, let Hosmer DH while his injury fully heals and ease him back into things? And to be honest, Hosmer has been kind of a disappointment this season as well. It's a valid yet out of the box kind of scenario that Yost may have to consider. Royals certainly do need Hosmer's defense at 1B, but they need Butler's hot bat even more...MUCH more.

Butler plays 1st and use Hosmer as a defensive replacement until his wrist heals beyond any doubt.

then maybe rotate them to make sure you ease hosmer's wrist back into the lineup.

Deberg_1990 08-09-2014 09:37 AM

I still hope he's gone next season regardless of how well he plays out the year.

He gives us no flexibility with the DH when Hosmer plays, and he just doesn't hit with enough power for a full season. Not worth keeping.

SAUTO 08-09-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10804838)

Shut the **** up.
Posted via Mobile Device

TLO 08-09-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10804255)
Eric Hosmer fixed Belly. Get it right n00b.

:sulk:

Prison Bitch 08-09-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10805113)
Shut the **** up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Write fan graphs a letter and tell them how angry their data makes you. They'll probably laugh their ass off at you.

Sure-Oz 08-09-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10805100)
I still hope he's gone next season regardless of how well he plays out the year.

He gives us no flexibility with the DH when Hosmer plays, and he just doesn't hit with enough power for a full season. Not worth keeping.

This team doesn't even know how to use the DH position as well. Starting Kratz last night...are you ****ing kidding me?

SAUTO 08-09-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10805143)
Write fan graphs a letter and tell them how angry their data makes you. They'll probably laugh their ass off at you.

I'm not angry.

Just tired of seeing your dumbass posts. Seriously, no one gives a ****.
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish 08-09-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10805087)

Former Royals catcher Mike MacFarlane was on 810 mid morning Thursday or Friday. When the question was asked "What do you do when Hosmer returns"?, Mac answered "Start Hosmer at 1B. No question.".

Personally I don't think I would. Until BB cools off (and he will), I'd play him at 1B and use Hosmer as a defensive replacement or DH. I figure another 2 weeks and BB will be topping GIDP balls everywhere again. Hos is out for another month anyway, so if the Royals make the move we hope they make, it'll be w/o Hosmer.

Until then, I'd let him play 1B.

Mr. Laz 08-09-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 10805203)
Former Royals catcher Mike MacFarlane was on 810 mid morning Thursday or Friday. When the question was asked "What do you do when Hosmer returns"?, Mac answered "Start Hosmer at 1B. No question.".

Personally I don't think I would. Until BB cools off (and he will), I'd play him at 1B and use Hosmer as a defensive replacement or DH. I figure another 2 weeks and BB will be topping GIDP balls everywhere again. Hos is out for another month anyway, so if the Royals make the move we hope they make, it'll be w/o Hosmer.

It would be tempting to keep going with Butler, at least until Hosmers wrist is so healed that he can't even remember it being hurt. lol.

our offense has been better with butler hot than Hosmer hitting .270.

Mr. Arrowhead 08-09-2014 11:01 AM

I would bring Hosmer back at 1st and move Hosmer to the back end of the line up

Prison Bitch 08-09-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10805113)
Shut the **** up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10805165)
I'm not angry.

Just tired of seeing your dumbass posts. Seriously, no one gives a ****.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nobody is eating crow over saying a player who sucks, sucks despite a short hot spell. I don't know why that made you so angry. Not everyone is a blind homer who thinks every Royal is good.

Mr. Laz 08-09-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 10805222)
I would bring Hosmer back at 1st and move Hosmer to the back end of the line up

and if pulling Butler from the field loses us our hottest hitter?

Mr. Arrowhead 08-09-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10805233)
and if pulling Butler from the field loses us our hottest hitter?

IMO that has anything to do with it

Deberg_1990 08-09-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 10805203)

Id have to run the numbers, but is there really much of a defensive drop off from Hosmer to butler? If not, it's tempting to play Hosmer at DH.

Mr. Laz 08-09-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10805248)
Id have to run the numbers, but is there really much of a defensive drop off from Hosmer to butler? If not, it's tempting to play Hosmer at DH.

I'm sure there is a huge difference in range and fielding # but we need offense more than that difference.

Hitting hurts hosmer's wrist more than fielding

lewdog 08-09-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10805248)

There isn't and Butler has been fine. People over-estimate what a good fielding first baseman means for winning games unless that first baseman is just incredibly horrible. Butler is an average fielding first baseman. A better bat is much more valuable, especially considering the rest of our defense is very good. However, Billy's splits when playing the field and DH'ing aren't much different. So it really doesn't matter.

SAUTO 08-09-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10805223)
Nobody is eating crow over saying a player who sucks, sucks despite a short hot spell. I don't know why that made you so angry. Not everyone is a blind homer who thinks every Royal is good.

I'm not so sure you can read. I already said once I'm not angry.

And point out one blind homer that thinks every royal is good.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief 08-09-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10805259)
There isn't and Butler has been fine. People over-estimate what a good fielding first baseman means for winning games unless that first baseman is just incredibly horrible. Butler is an average fielding first baseman. A better bat is much more valuable, especially considering the rest of our defense is very good. However, Billy's splits when playing the field and DH'ing aren't much different. So it really doesn't matter.

It seems to matter this season. I could give a shit what Butler has done previously.

Right now a good thing is brewing here and the team is scoring runs and hitting the ball over the fence. And that's the difference between sitting at home or playing in Oct, for this team.

C3HIEF3S 08-09-2014 08:41 PM

Completing the trifecta.
A hard hit double for Billy tonight.

Great Expectations 08-09-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10805006)
This

This, but I'm not ready for him to move back to a full time DH yet.

lewdog 08-09-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 10806791)
This, but I'm not ready for him to move back to a full time DH yet.

Billy is the vet so you almost have to default to him on this. If he wants to keep playing the field and isn't royally ****ing shit up out there and continuing to hit well, you simply DH Hosmer. Hosmer gets no say in this.

Great Expectations 08-09-2014 09:28 PM

His defense has surprisingly been average to above average.

lewdog 08-09-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 10806815)

Above in my opinion. He's gotten to two difficult balls and has scooped a low throw as well. Seriously, I've been impressed. He seems slower on the bases so maybe the fielding is wearing out his legs though. ROFL

KcMizzou 08-09-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 10806815)

I don't think that's surprising. Butler's always been pretty good at first base.

lewdog 08-09-2014 09:33 PM

But I really think it's up to Billy when Hos is ready. If he isn't a mental midget, he says the team is better with Hoz playing first and he'll DH and continue to hit. If he wants this to be about him, he states he needs to play the field for him to keep hitting even though the team is worse defensively with this move.

C3HIEF3S 08-27-2014 12:32 AM

Cat-like.
<object width="400" height="254"><param name="movie" value="undefined/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=35686155&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="scale" value="noscale" /><param name="salign" value="tl" /><embed src="undefined/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=35686155&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="254" scale="noscale" salign ="tl" /></object>

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index..._copy_35686155

Valiant 08-27-2014 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10806829)
But I really think it's up to Billy when Hos is ready. If he isn't a mental midget, he says the team is better with Hoz playing first and he'll DH and continue to hit. If he wants this to be about him, he states he needs to play the field for him to keep hitting even though the team is worse defensively with this move.

I am more of the ride the steak guy. If Butler is continuing to hit and playing average at 1st. I would keep rotating guys at DH, depending on matchups.

Just my opinion though.